New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1578
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A (By RAW) III

A430 alternative view

Once the spell's target is no longer valid, the spell effect fails because its no longer valid. The rule is mentioned in reference to casting a spell where it can't be made to conform, but I believe it makes sense for the spell to fail whenever its target is invalid, including after casting. As such, the statue will revert to its normal size as the enlarge person fails.

I see nothing stating that a spell failing takes any amount of time, so it's plausible for the shrinking and petrification to happen simultaneously.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2007-08-08 at 07:22 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q428 Follow Up

A428

No. LA does not count towards your character level, and thus isn't a factor in determining when you get your feats and your ability score increases.
    What about character wealth? Does the wealth by level in the DMG p135 taken into consideration LA? Or does someone with 5HD and a +5 LA have the wealth of a 10th level character?

BTW - Thanks for the original answer, I couldn't find it.
    When in danger or in doubt; run in circles, scream and shout.

"Plot Fairy w/ Adventure Hook" avatar expertly crafted by Rowsen. Well done, sir.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Titan in the Playground

A428 revisited

I'm just going to quote the FAQ for this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    Effective Character Level (ECL): Effective character level is character level plus the level adjustment for the character’s race. Races that are more powerful than the standard races in the Player’s Handbook have level adjustments to help promote some equity among the player characters in a campaign, and to help DMs decide how much danger a party containing members of those races can handle. For example, a drow has a level adjustment of +2. Many people (and even one or two rulebooks) say “ECL” when they really mean “level adjustment.”

Use the character’s ECL to determine starting equipment and how the character earns and benefits from experience (including when he gains an epic attack and save bonus; DMG p. 209), as noted on page 5 of Savage Species. Use the actual character level for everything else.
    So yes, your starting wealth takes LA into consideration; you have the starting wealth of a 10th level character in your example.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2007-08-08 at 09:49 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 431

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Recovering with Help

One hour after a tended, dying character becomes stable, roll d%. He has a 10% chance of becoming conscious, at which point he is disabled (as if he had 0 hit points). If he remains unconscious, he has the same chance to revive and become disabled every hour. Even if unconscious, he recovers hit points naturally. He is back to normal when his hit points rise to 1 or higher.
    According to this, a character who was reduced to -5 HP and then healed magically for 1 HP is at -4, stable an unconscious. 1 Hour later, he has a 10% chance to wake up, and be conscious and disabled at -4 HP.

Does this a warforged, who does not have the ability to heal nonlethal damage also have the same 10% chance to become conscious and disabled after he's been magically healed, but still has negative HP in the same way?
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-08 at 10:02 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q. 432
    If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move.
    Does that mean you can draw a weapon as a free action whenever your character moves by himself (such as during a charge) or only when he moves as a move action?
    Join the BARD DEFENSE LEAGUE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    "No, that spell is designed to summon cupcakes for you to eat. You can't create it inside your enemy's brain."

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Titan in the Playground

A431 maybe?

My information comes from MM3, and thus may be out of date. However, it states....
    Quote Originally Posted by MM3
    A living construct responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A living construct with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and greater than -10, a living construct is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert living construct does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that is stable.
    A432

I'm pretty sure a "regular move" means moving up to your speed as a move action.

v: Dang it, I was ninja'd during edit! I was NINJ'EDITED!
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2007-08-08 at 10:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1147

Quote Originally Posted by Aximili View Post
    Q. 432

Does that mean you can draw a weapon as a free action whenever your character moves by himself (such as during a charge) or only when he moves as a move action?
    A 432

Only when he moves as part of a 'standard' move action. A Partial Charge, Standing up, drawing an item, or other 'move' actions will not allow you to draw a weapon. Only moving up to your speed in distance allows the drawing of a weapon as a free action.

A 5 foot step also does not qualify for drawing the weapon as a free action.
    The Tangled Web

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    A428 revisited
    I'm just going to quote the FAQ for this one.
    So yes, your starting wealth takes LA into consideration; you have the starting wealth of a 10th level character in your example.
    Note the FAQ also contradicts itself on the point of LA determining epic levels. On the next page, no less!

However, the SRD, which trumps the FAQ says, "A character’s ECL affects the experience the character earns, the amount of experience the character must have before gaining a new level, and the character’s starting equipment," with no mention of epic levels.

Likewise, Epic Characters are defined as one "whose character level is 21st or higher." And Character Level is equal to a character's Hit Dice. (That's why Level Adjustment + Hit Dice is referred to as equivalent character level.)
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-08-08 at 11:01 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

9. - Top - End - #1149

Q433
    What would be the CR for a 10th-level warrior kobold? I'm guessing 5.

@v: Ah, so I was right all along. Just checking.
    Last edited by Bitzeralisis; 2007-08-09 at 01:07 AM.
    ·Bitzeralisis·

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ogre in the Playground

A433
    All NPC classes give +1/2Cr. This is due to all NPC classes being considered non-associative classes, meaning that they do not directly add-on to the monster like normal classes, instead only adding half their value. So a level 10 kobold Warrior is only CR 5.
    Last edited by MeklorIlavator; 2007-08-09 at 01:05 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A430 alternative view

I see nothing stating that a spell failing takes any amount of time, so it's plausible for the shrinking and petrification to happen simultaneously.
    Interesting, but this does seem to fly in the face of the rules quote I included. Why bother to state that the stone statue's weight is 24 times that of the original creature if the Enlarge Person spell would fail immediately (and thus dropping the final weight)?

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Troll in the Playground

A. 430 Further comment

A430 alternative view

Once the spell's target is no longer valid, the spell effect fails because its no longer valid. The rule is mentioned in reference to casting a spell where it can't be made to conform, but I believe it makes sense for the spell to fail whenever its target is invalid, including after casting. As such, the statue will revert to its normal size as the enlarge person fails.
    The spell does not fail, but its effects are rendered moot by another effect. It is still active and would become relevant if the creature was turned into flesh again before the duration runs out.

One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant

Sometimes, one spell can render a later spell irrelevant. Both spells are still active, but one has rendered the other useless in some fashion.
    Spell failure only applies when casting a spell.

Enlarge Person only cease functioning when the target is no longer valid and that happens after it has become a statue.
    The statue is not an object influenced by any affects produces by Enlarge Person, so the reduction in size certainly cannot happen after it has become a statue.
    If any reduction were to take place it would happen before the target has turned into a statue and that does not make much sense in my opinion, but it is not contradicted by RAW either.
    However, the RAW talks about enlarged creatures resulting in enlarged stone statues as pointed out by Curmudgeon.

NON-RAW tangent:
    Cinematically this would also be rather absurd according to my personal fantasy movie projector
    I can see the process of being turned to stone happening simultaneously with the morphing of the body while its size reduces (if you prefer the stone transformation to take effect slower than instantly), leaving a statue somewhere in-between in sizes.

However, this becomes very strange when we are talking about several shape changing effects. Imagine a creature under the effects of Enlarge Person and Polymorph.
    Now we have a Griffon turning say human turning large turning medium turning stone instead of a Griffon statue.

I know you can make the cinematics work for me. I will even bring Popcorn.
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-08-09 at 04:30 AM.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Q 434

Does a shadowdancer have multiple shadow companions at higher levels? I ask this because the DMG (3.5) says nothing on this, and I have seen some material on the Wizards site and a SRD that suggest they do.
    Last edited by Misasura; 2007-08-09 at 04:48 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Troll in the Playground

A. 434

Yes, the Shadowdancer gets 2 at 6th level and 3 at 9th.
    LLS

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Q 435

Does a shadowdancer's shadow companion count for the Shadow Jump and Hide in Plain Sight abilities?

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Troll in the Playground

A. 435

The descriptions seems to refer to actually shadows and not the creature and since Shadows (the creature) are incorporeal I do not think they provide any shadow (the non-illuminated area).
    LLS

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    A433
    All NPC classes give +1/2Cr. This is due to all NPC classes being considered non-associative classes, meaning that they do not directly add-on to the monster like normal classes, instead only adding half their value. So a level 10 kobold Warrior is only CR 5.
    This isn't completely correct.

Nonassociated Class Levels

If you add a class level that doesn’t directly play to a creature’s strength the class level is considered nonassociated, and things get a little more complicated. Adding a nonassociated class level to a monster increases its CR by 1/2 per level until one of its nonassociated class levels equals its original Hit Dice. At that point, each additional level of the same class or a similar one is considered associated and increases the monster’s CR by 1.

Levels in NPC classes are always treated as nonassociated.
    So NPC classes aren't always worth 1/2 CR; it depends on the base creature. Kobolds have this line right in their entry to help you figure it out:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, kobold entry
    Challenge Rating: Kobolds with levels in NPC classes have a CR equal to their character level –3.
    So a kobold with 10 levels of warrior is a CR 7 creature.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q436.

The retributive amulet (BoED p.116) is an amulet that divide the damage between the attacker and the wearer. If the wearer have damage reduction (let's say, for an example, a barbarian or a vampire) does the damage reduction is applied before or after the retribution?

Q437

What's the caster level of a ring (i.e. the ring of telekinesis)? Is it the hit dice of the player/monster? the level needed to create the ring?

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boris_the_Fat View Post
    Q436.

The retributive amulet (BoED p.116) is an amulet that divide the damage between the attacker and the wearer. If the wearer have damage reduction (let's say, for an example, a barbarian or a vampire) does the damage reduction is applied before or after the retribution?
    In my opinion, any DR possessed by the wearer of the item would not apply. The damage isn't from a weapon - it's from a magical effect.

Q437

What's the caster level of a ring (i.e. the ring of telekinesis)? Is it the hit dice of the player/monster? the level needed to create the ring?
    The caster level of a ring is whatever is listed in the entry. In the case of the ring of telekinesis, the caster level is 9th.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Troll in the Playground

A. 436

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    In my opinion, any DR possessed by the wearer of the item would not apply. The damage isn't from a weapon - it's from a magical effect.
    I think you are confusing the attacker with the wearer.

The Amulet divides damage taken between the wearer and the attacker. If the wearer has DR that applies to the attack in question some of the damage that the wearer would normally take is ignored.
    It is only the actual damage taken (after DR has been applied) that is divided between the attacker and wearer by the Amulet.

Or to answer directly; Damage Reduction is applied before Retribution.
    LLS

21. - Top - End - #1161

A431 maybe?

My information comes from MM3, and thus may be out of date. However, it states....
    Yea, I saw that already. But it doesn't answer my question one way or the other. It says what happens when they are damaged, but not when they are healed.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-09 at 10:48 AM.
    The Tangled Web

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Troll in the Playground

A. 423

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Qban View Post
    Q 423

I have a 6th Level Warlock and I want to use the Maximize Spell-Like Ability on his Eldritch Blast (Level 1)...but I also want to use the Maximized blast along with the blast shape invocation "Hideous Blow" (also Level 1)...can you add essence/blast shape invocations to a heightened Eldritch blast?
    There is no special activation requirement for the maximized blast, so I see no reason why you could not.
    LLS

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    Enlarge Person only cease functioning when the target is no longer valid and that happens after it has become a statue.
    The statue is not an object influenced by any affects produces by Enlarge Person, so the reduction in size certainly cannot happen after it has become a statue.
    If any reduction were to take place it would happen before the target has turned into a statue and that does not make much sense in my opinion, but it is not contradicted by RAW either.
    However, the RAW talks about enlarged creatures resulting in enlarged stone statues as pointed out by Curmudgeon.
    Interesting...perhaps the solution is in the middle. The statue is unable to change its size, so it remains enlarged...however the enlarged effect fails as soon as the statue becomes able to change size, regardless of the duration on the enlarge person spell.

NON-RAW tangent:
    Cinematically this would also be rather absurd according to my personal fantasy movie projector
    I can see the process of being turned to stone happening simultaneously with the morphing of the body while its size reduces (if you prefer the stone transformation to take effect slower than instantly), leaving a statue somewhere in-between in sizes.

However, this becomes very strange when we are talking about several shape changing effects. Imagine a creature under the effects of Enlarge Person and Polymorph.
    Now we have a Griffon turning say human turning large turning medium turning stone instead of a Griffon statue.

I know you can make the cinematics work for me. I will even bring Popcorn.
    See, the cinematics I was worried about are like this.

Five culturally diverse youths, each with their broken wealth-by-level-inappropriate rings of spell storing, happen upon their mentor. Or rather, the statue that their mentor has become. But even though one of these youths has easy access to stone to flesh, they have a more....creative plan.

"Let our powers spells combine!"

"SHRINK ITEM!"
    "PERMANENCY!"
    "INVISIBILITY!"
    "PERMANENCY!"
    "STONE TO FLESH!"

"By your powers spells combined, I am...CAPTAIN TINY HIDDEN BUFFER!"

"GO BUFFER!"
    I'll spare you the theme song lyrics.

Allowing spells effects to persist across type changes, or object->creature changes, allows for crazy things like spell effects that are normally only permanent on objects to be applied to creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    Yea, I saw that already. But it doesn't answer my question one way or the other. It says what happens when they are damaged, but not when they are healed.
    Well, it looks to me like they're inert whenever they're between 0 and -10. So if one is receives healing putting it from -5 to -4...it's still inert, and unable to take actions. It would need to be healed to 0 or above before it regains the ability to take actions.

The usual recovery mechanism don't apply, just as the dying rules don't.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q438
    Is there an official "anti-paladin" class? other than the blackguard ?
    Last edited by Boris_the_Fat; 2007-08-09 at 04:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boris_the_Fat View Post
    Is there an official "anti-paladin" class? other than the blackguard ?
    A 438

Dragon magazine had an article that created "paladins" for every alignment. I don't recall what issue it was in, though. Somewhere in the low 300's I believe...
    John Ling

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting...perhaps the solution is in the middle. The statue is unable to change its size, so it remains enlarged...however the enlarged effect fails as soon as the statue becomes able to change size, regardless of the duration on the enlarge person spell.

See, the cinematics I was worried about are like this.

I'll spare you the theme song lyrics.
    Should I be grateful?

Allowing spells effects to persist across type changes, or object->creature changes, allows for crazy things like spell effects that are normally only permanent on objects to be applied to creatures.
    The effects do not persist across type changes, since the target is no longer a valid target for the benefits of the effect. The spell might still be active (it does not fail), but its effect is not.

Captain Buffer is not a valid target for Shrink Item, so it has no effect when he reverts to fleshy shape again.

Well, it looks to me like they're inert whenever they're between 0 and -10. So if one is receives healing putting it from -5 to -4...it's still inert, and unable to take actions. It would need to be healed to 0 or above before it regains the ability to take actions.

The usual recovery mechanism don't apply, just as the dying rules don't.
    LLS

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Titan in the Playground

Should I be grateful?
    Probably....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Captain Buffer, he's of great use.
    Buffs from the back line thanks to target change abuse!
    Gets permanent spells while stone,
    Keeps them in fleshy form, all foes bemoan!

Captain Buffer, smaller then gnomes.
    And hidden by both his spells he freely roams!
    He's permanency defiled,
    Though invisibility's somewhat mild.
    I admit it's no chainsaw of natural selection, though.

The effects do not persist across type changes, since the target is no longer a valid target for the benefits of the effect. The spell might still be active (it does not fail), but its effect is not.

Captain Buffer is not a valid target for Shrink Item, so it has no effect when he reverts to fleshy shape again.
    OK...so you're saying that the enlarged statue is a special case? An object (like a statue) is not a creature, after all, much less the humanoid one required for enlarge person's effects.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Troll in the Playground

Probably....
    [spoiler]
    Note to self: Be careful when clicking on spoiler boxes.

OK...so you're saying that the enlarged statue is a special case? An object (like a statue) is not a creature, after all, much less the humanoid one required for enlarge person's effects.
    Yes exactly, an object is not a valid target, but objects do not spontaneously change, so by the time it is time to get smaller it is too late.
    LLS

29. - Top - End - #1169

Q 439

Regarding warlock's blast damage and other damage mods

So, as a ray spell-like (or as hideous blast) damage the eldrich blast rolls to hit and thus can critical and can deliver a rogue's sneak attack bonus dice....but what about other sources of bonus damage and how do these stack with Hideous Blow?

ie. If a warlock/ranger blasts a monster does the ray damage get +2 favoured enemy damage bonus?

ie. If a warlock/ranger attacks a monster and Hideous Blast hits it does the blast get the +2 favoured bonus as well as the weapons +2 favoured bonus damage? (a second 'attack' technically relying on one roll to hit as it triggers even if no physical damage done by weapon)

ie. If a rogue/warlock performs a sneak attack via Hideous Blow in a flank does the Blast AND the weapon each get the sneak attack damage?
    Last edited by Benejeseret; 2007-08-09 at 03:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Troll in the Playground

A. 439

The extra damage applies only once per attack.

The rules for weapon-like spells are described in Complete Arcane.
    LLS