New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 183334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1578
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A (By RAW) III

Quote Originally Posted by themrpj View Post
    Q473

Is there a move action to disengage from an opponent (or multiple opponents) without incurring an attack of opportunity? I had thought there was a DC 20 tumble check to do so, but now I fear my first DM may have house ruled it and never informed me... and now I feel like suck a fool! a fool!
    A 473

Your DM may have had the DC off, but he is correct. The tumble skill will allow you to move without provoking Attacks of Opportunity. The base DC is 15, and it increases +2 for each additional enemy after the first. Using this skill, you can flee from combat. Tumble is a trained-only skill.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Tumble at one-half speed as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you provoke attacks of opportunity normally. Check separately for each opponent you move past, in the order in which you pass them (player’s choice of order in case of a tie). Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.
    Additionally, you can Withdraw, but that is a full-round action, and not a move action. Unlike the Tumble skill, anyone can use the Withdraw action.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-14 at 09:49 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q 474

Very simple question. I normally have the book, but due to certain circumstances, the PHB II isn't available to me, so...

...What's the estimated wealth level for a 5th level character according to the PHB II?

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 475

The party cleric has just used his turn to somehow grapple a size L dragon skeleton. Now it's the skeleton's turn. This dragon skellie has 6 attacks: bite, 2 claws, 2 wings, and tail slap.

A. can the dragon make 6 opposed grapple checks, while in the grapple, to try and do various actions? (say, to "damage its opponent")

B. if it uses its first grapple check (assuming it gets several) to successfully escape the grapple, can it move to a square adjacent to the cleric and attack him 5 more times? (does it have to stand up, or pay any move actions? is the cleric standing, or prone?)

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Troll in the Playground

A. 474

You are in luck, you do not need the PHB II for this information. It can be found in the DMG.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Troll in the Playground

A. 475

Grapples are the abomination of D&D!

A
    Grapple actions are determined by BAB regardless of number of natural attacks.

(According to the FAQ you may only use one natural weapon to attack with while grappling.)

B
    You can use the escape from grapple action in place of an attack, so based on the RAW alone you should be able to move away from the grapple and attack with all your natural weapons (all of them as secondary attacks) as a full round action.

The movement involved in the escape from grapple action is included so you do not need to take a move action or even a 5-foot step.

Grapple mentions nothing about leaving the involved prone.
    LLS

6. - Top - End - #1266

SamuraiGuy

Q. 476

A dragon can use its breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds. If this roll is a 1, can that dragon breathe in 2 consecutive round or must it leave this one rounds as a gap?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

7. - Top - End - #1267

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkitosen View Post
    Q. 476

A dragon can use its breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds. If this roll is a 1, can that dragon breathe in 2 consecutive round or must it leave this one rounds as a gap?
    A 476

Once a dragon breathes, it can’t breathe again until 1d4 rounds later. If a dragon has more than one type of breath weapon, it still can breathe only once every 1d4 rounds.
    A dragon can breathe in 2 consecutive rounds, if the roll is a 1.
    The Tangled Web

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 477
    Does the execution of a Flyby Attack draw an attack of opportunity from the target? Spring Attack doesn't, but such a ruling seems absent in the Flyby Attack description. Does that mean Noak the black dragon endangers herself every time she dives at someone?
    Catharsis

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Troll in the Playground

A. 477

Flyby Attack provides no protection against attacks of opportunity.
    LLS

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 478
    If a character has spring attack can they use it while flying? Or would they require flyby attack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

11. - Top - End - #1271

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    Q 478
    If a character has spring attack can they use it while flying? Or would they require flyby attack?
    A 478

There is nothing in the RAW prohibiting the use of Spring Attack while flying. Of course, there is nothing explicitly allowing it either, and some people would conclude that the existence of a separate feat for a separate mode of movement indicates that Spring Attack is exclusive to normal movements.

Consult with your DM for his/her/its specific interpretation of the RAI (Rules as Intended)
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-15 at 09:17 AM.
    The Tangled Web

12. - Top - End - #1272

Q479

If you have the Wild Mage (Comp Arcane pg 69) "Student of Chaos" ability - If you use a magic item that offers a randomly determined effect (such as a bag of tricks or rod of wonder) she can roll twice and choose between the two results.
    and you use a scroll (a magic item) to cast Reincarnation do you get to roll twice and choose what the target comes back as?

Thanks
    Stephen

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Troll in the Playground

A. 479

Scrolls are magic items and Reincarnate does have a randomly determined effect, so yes.
    LLS

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    A 478

There is nothing in the RAW prohibiting the use of Spring Attack while flying. Of course, there is nothing explicitly allowing it either, and some people would conclude that the existence of a separate feat for a separate mode of movement indicates that Spring Attack is exclusive to normal movements.

Consult with your DM for his/her/its specific interpretation of the RAI (Rules as Intended)
    See that would be me...
    I don't know whether to allow it, as there is a flyby feat and all it seems wrong, what do you say Eye tyrant?
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Troll in the Playground

A. 478

See that would be me...
    I don't know whether to allow it, as there is a flyby feat and all it seems wrong, what do you say Eye tyrant?
    There is no restrictions on the mode of movement used with spring attack, so it would work fine whether you use your fly, walk, burrow, swim, climb etc. speed.

Flyby Attack and Spring Attack are different in several aspects and there is no RAI reason for them to not work together either.
    LLS

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ettin in the Playground

A 477
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Q. 477
    Does that mean Noak the black dragon endangers herself every time she dives at someone?
    The Beholder Sage as answered the first part of your question. I shall answer the second.

No, it does not necessarily mean Noak is in danger every time she dives.

Dragons have superior reach for their size and body shape when using their bite attacks. If Noak's bite has greater reach than her opponent, she can easily make flyby dives without ever entering her opponent's threatened area.

Likewise, there are the various ways to prevent opponents from taking AoOs to which they would otherwise be entitled: invisibility, surprise, catching the opponent unarmed, etc. Note, you can Tumble while in flight, but I do not believe a dive counts as "Normal Movement" for the purpose of Tumbling to avoid AoOs.

Of course, one can also use Flyby Attack along with any number of ranged attack options (breath weapon anyone?). It doesn't even have to be an attack. Remember, despite its name, Flyby Attack works with any standard action.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q 480

Is there a feat, class ability, or spell that makes an enemy provoke an AoO when they enter a square you threaten with normal (non-charging) movement? I'm looking for the normal movement equivalent of Hold the Line, which is for charging movement.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 481

What is the interaction between the Adamantine Body feat from the Eberron Campaign Setting, and the Construct Grafts from Faiths of Eberron, specifically Adamantine Skin. The DR/Adamantine from multiple grafts is specified to stack with the feat, but does the DR from the graft stack?

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 482

If a spellcaster casts Project Image, can both the caster and the projected image cast Mirror Image to create a maximum of 16 images? (max 8 per caster)
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Troll in the Playground

A. 482

Yes, the image can cast illusion spells like Mirror Image.

If you desire, any spell you cast whose range is touch or greater can originate from the projected image instead of from you. The projected image can’t cast any spells on itself except for illusion spells. The spells affect other targets normally, despite originating from the projected image.
    LLS

21. - Top - End - #1281

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Q 480

Is there a feat, class ability, or spell that makes an enemy provoke an AoO when they enter a square you threaten with normal (non-charging) movement? I'm looking for the normal movement equivalent of Hold the Line, which is for charging movement.
    How can you make an AoO against an oppoenent you don't threaten? Entering the square means they are not threatened yet. The closest you can get is the Thicket of Blades stance from Devoted Spirit
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

Q. 483

Oh mighty Eye Tyrant, I have heard rumours, are Wizards truly working on D&D 5e?
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-08-17 at 01:32 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 484 how soon after the release of 4e will the 24 hour Silvanos helpline be up and running?

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Troll in the Playground

A. 483

Yes, "Be prepared" is their motto, they are even thinking about a 6th edition now.

However, just remember that there is now guarantee that 5 will follow 4. In between you might see 4.15, 4.33, 4.5, 4.57762584288408760, 4.75, etc.

A. 484

There will be no need for such things come 4th edition.
    It will also be known as the perfect/flawless edition and no one will have any doubts about the rules.
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-08-17 at 01:41 AM.
    LLS

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

Q. 483 Continued

Truly, they have learned from the mistakes of the past and are well versed in 'Game Theory', particularly with regard to Papers & Paychecks.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-08-17 at 01:56 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Troll in the Playground

A. 483 Continued

The equilibrium concept used is that of eliminating strictly less profitable strategies to achieve a Nashdaq-solution.

Dungeons & Dragons - A Paychecks & Profits role-playing game.
    LLS

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 484

How does one go about casting "Range: Touch" spells such as Inflict or Harm? Would you have to cast it in melee and provoke an attack of opportunity before it connects?

Also, could you Coup de Grace with such spells?
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Troll in the Playground

A. 484

There are several options available.

You can cast the spell defensively to avoid an AoO or you can cast the spell, move and then deliver the attack.
    Finally, you can hold the charge on touch spells which would allow you to cast the spell several rounds before you deliver it assuming you do not cast any spells or touch anything in-between.

Touch spell that can deal critical hits can generally also be used for CdGs.
    LLS

29. - Top - End - #1289

Q 484 how soon after the release of 4e will the 24 hour Silvanos helpline be up and running?
    Q. Pi

Just out of idle curiosity, Mr. Popcorn Tyrant, have you ever had to ask a question on this thread yourself? Has anyone answered something that you weren't capable of answering yourself? I know you've been stumped before, but only when everyone else was stumped too, as far as I've seen.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-17 at 08:34 AM.
    The Tangled Web

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    Q. Pi

Just out of idle curiosity, Mr. Popcorn Tyrant, have you ever had to ask a question on this thread yourself?
    No, but I could see myself asking for a spell, feat etc. that did something special, since I have not had the opportunity to read and memorize all.

Has anyone answered something that you weren't capable of answering yourself? I know you've been stumped before, but only when everyone else was stumped too, as far as I've seen.
    There has been a few open questions like the one I just described that would have taken me a long time to answer, since they would have required that I go through all the books to give a complete answer.

And I have also checked some surprising answers to see if it really could be true.

And I think you will find that I have been wrong on occasion.
    LLS