New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1578
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A (By RAW) III

Q 521
    Does a druid's animal companion grow in size when it's hit dice increases as advancement in the Monster Manual?
    The Hypnotoad made me do it!

Power corrupts, absolute power is kinda neat.
    -John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987

Villains always have antidotes. They're funny that way. -The Helping People Tick

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Troll in the Playground

A. 521

No, a Druid's animal companion gains the benefits of additional HD described in the entry for the Animal Companion.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Troll in the Playground

Q. 522

*raises hand*

Alright, say you have a human who is really strong. Let's call him #1, and say he wears fullplate and has a greatsword or somesuch. And, let's say you have a second human, who we'll call #A, who is much more on the lighter side, with more like studded leather and a shortsword.

For the purposes of this question, lets say that #1 is strong enough to carry all his equipment, plus all of #A's equipment, plus #A himself, and still be able to move around (a medium or heavy load, it matters not).

Is it possible for #A to "ride" on the shoulders of #1? Could #1 take a move action, and then attack, and then #A make a ride check to be able to take a full attack, as if #1 was a sort of "mount"?

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Q. 522

*raises hand*

Alright, say you have a human who is really strong. Let's call him #1, and say he wears fullplate and has a greatsword or somesuch. And, let's say you have a second human, who we'll call #A, who is much more on the lighter side, with more like studded leather and a shortsword.

For the purposes of this question, lets say that #1 is strong enough to carry all his equipment, plus all of #A's equipment, plus #A himself, and still be able to move around (a medium or heavy load, it matters not).

Is it possible for #A to "ride" on the shoulders of #1? Could #1 take a move action, and then attack, and then #A make a ride check to be able to take a full attack, as if #1 was a sort of "mount"?
    A 522

Not during combat. According to the RAW, you can't share space with an ally, unless there is a significant size difference. That is why most mounts must be at least one size category larger than their rider.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    A 522

Not during combat. According to the RAW, you can't share space with an ally, unless there is a significant size difference. That is why most mounts must be at least one size category larger than their rider.
    Ah, okay. So, wait...could a halfling use a human as a mount, then?

Also, your avatar makes me drool, btw.

6. - Top - End - #1386

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Ah, okay. So, wait...could a halfling use a human as a mount, then?

Also, your avatar makes me drool, btw.
    Thanks. I like yours too.

And while it may be theoretically possible for a halfling to use a human as a mount in combat, it isn't meant to be. There are two body types in D&D. Tall and Long. A mount should have a Long body type. Humanoids have a Tall body type.

Now, I don't think thats written down anywhere, but I'm pretty sure thats the intention of the rules.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-23 at 09:07 PM.
    The Tangled Web

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There's a penalty to ride checks for doing that, actually. But it's generalized, so it doesn't give specific permission to ride people ( )

If you attempt to ride a creature that is ill suited as a mount, you take a -5 penalty on your Ride checks.

8. - Top - End - #1388

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    There's a penalty to ride checks for doing that, actually. But it's generalized, so it doesn't give specific permission to ride people ( )
    Good catch, Arbitrarity, but I think that is more meant for animals that haven't been domesticated. For example, Horses, in the modern world, are trained and bred to bear riders. However, an animal like a Deer, while it could be mounted and rode, is not a good animal for a mount. The slope of its back makes it hard to stay mounted, or to fit well with a saddle, and its slender legs aren't meant to bear that much weight. Or for a more fantasy-related example, imagine trying to ride a Coatle. The winged serpent would be very hard to ride because of its undulating body.

Again, you won't find these examples written anywhere, and that rule is kept intentionally vague to allow the DM to apply it at his discretion.
    The Tangled Web

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Actually, my PHB says "If you attampt to ride a creature that is ill suited for riding (Such as most bipedal creatures), you take a -5 penalty on ride checks" which gives something of an example. On the other hand, doesn't make for any sort of rule.

I knew there was a reason I remembered that...

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dumb question. Does the class restrictions "over rule" the racial abilities? For instance, is my wood elf Druid proficient in longbows and longswords even though the druid can't wield them?

pizzel
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

Live everyday like it's your last and one day, you'll be right.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Class abilities and racial abilities are addative, so yes, you are proficient. I am unsure what you mean otherwise...

Because otherwise, I might ask that since my rogue doesn't get a bonus feat at level 1, my human rogue only gets one feat? Etc.

12. - Top - End - #1392

Let me make myself more clear. Druids have weapon proficiency with certain weapons and if they use others they lose the Druid abilities. However, Elves are automatically proficient with Longsword and Rapier and Comp. Longbow. So, my question is, even though Elves are proficient with these weapons, am I still unable to use them since they are not on the Druids weapon list?
    Last edited by The J Pizzel; 2007-08-23 at 09:59 PM.
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

A523

In this case, there's a misunderstanding.

I know it wasn't always this way in D&D, but in the present edition the druid has no restriction on what kind of weapons they may wield, they just only gain proficiency with a few weapons through class. If you gain proficiency through another source, like race, you can use other weapons without penalty. (And even without the proficiency, you only suffer the same -4 penalty anyone else who uses a weapon they aren't proficient with takes.)

In general though, both effects apply equally. If you're a druid of some (perhaps hypothetical) race that grants proficiency with heavy armor, you're still subject to the loss of spells and supernatural abilities if you use the armor proficiency to wear metal armor. You don't lose the proficiency with the armor, however.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2007-08-23 at 10:04 PM. Reason: AS THE NINJA, I DEMAND...POPCORN!
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #1394

Quote Originally Posted by jpbooth View Post
    Dumb question. Does the class restrictions "over rule" the racial abilities? For instance, is my wood elf Druid proficient in longbows and longswords even though the druid can't wield them?

pizzel
    A 523

Not a dumb question at all. Its actually a pretty good one.

The Druid class ability about metal only applies to Armor and Shields, not weapons.

So you can use any weapon you like, including any which you are proficient in due to your race.
    The Tangled Web

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Druids... don't have limited weapon choices.... Is this a holdover from a previous edition?

Druids are proficient with the following weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, and spear. They are also proficient with all natural attacks (claw, bite, and so forth) of any form they assume with wild shape.

Druids are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor. (A druid may also wear wooden armor that has been altered by the ironwood spell so that it functions as though it were steel. See the ironwood spell description) Druids are proficient with shields (except tower shields) but must use only wooden ones.

A druid who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast druid spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.
    Nothing about limited weapons. Armour, shields, yes. Weapons? No.

If they did, like a monk having longsword proficiency, then it would function as if they were using any other weapon of an illegal type (i.e. can't flurry with longsword as a monk, without that feat), even if they are proficient.

16. - Top - End - #1396

Sorry guys. Just realized they don't lose their abilities for using metal weapons. Just armor. My bad.

17. - Top - End - #1397

Q 524: Do Attacks of Opportunity have to be made with your main hand weapon?
    ·Bitzeralisis·

18. - Top - End - #1398

Quote Originally Posted by Bitzeralisis View Post
    Q 524: Do Attacks of Opportunity have to be made with your main hand weapon?
    A 524

Nope. They can be made with any weapon you are threatening the target of your AoO with.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-23 at 10:42 PM.
    The Tangled Web

19. - Top - End - #1399

HalflingRangerGuy

Q525
    What kind of action is shifting a one handed weapon from being held with two hands and being held with one hand?
    Example:
    A Fighter 2 has Improved Unarmed Strike and Two Weapon Fighting. Can he hold the primary weapon, a warhammer (a one handed martial weapon) with two hands, attack with his main hand for 1d8+1.5(str bonus), let his off hand go of his weapon, wielding it one handed, then kick his opponent as an off hand attack for 1d8+.5(str) and still receive only the -2/-2 penalties?

Is letting the off hand go of the one handed weapon necessary at all to minimize the penalties?

Peripheral Data: In a Dragon Magazine(215-218ish) article, the sage answered that a lance held with one hand while mounted still counts as a one handed weapon. He expounded saying that a bastard sword, a dwarven waraxe or any one handed weapon, when held with two hands count as a two handed weapon for all purposes.

As a corollary, Q526would a half-orc barbarian with the seventh level half-orc racial substitution level from Races of Destiny wielding a one handed weapon with two hands deal double his strength damage?
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

20. - Top - End - #1400

Quote Originally Posted by cupkeyk View Post
    Peripheral Data: In a Dragon Magazine(215-218ish) article, the sage answered that a lance held with one hand while mounted still counts as a one handed weapon.
    The lance is normally a two handed weapon. There is a special rule allowing you to use it one handed while mounted. A large creature can use a two handed weapon that is sized for a medium creature one handed. This next part is a bit of interpretation... when mounted you sort of become a combined creature with your mount, since your mount is (usually large) that lets you use the two handed weapon (lance) with one hand.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Troll in the Playground

A. 525

Unarmed strikes are not restricted to punches, you can use other appendages and thus make them even when your hands are full.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Unarmed Attacks: Striking for damage with punches, kicks, and head butts...
    Letting go with a hand is a free action, but if you have already used an appendage in one attack routine, you cannot also use it in another, say for off-hand attacks.

The same goes if you have a claw and are wielding a weapon in that claw. You cannot first make iterative weapon attacks with a weapon held in the claw followed by a claw attack after you have dropped the weapon. (You could however, use the claw for an AoO if you hand was free at the end of the round)
    LLS

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Troll in the Playground

A. 526

Quote Originally Posted by cupkeyk View Post
    As a corollary, Q526would a half-orc barbarian with the seventh level half-orc racial substitution level from Races of Destiny wielding a one handed weapon with two hands deal double his strength damage?
    If said substitution level would allow the half-orc to apply double his STR modifier to damage when wielding a two-handed weapon, then yes.

A one-handed weapon wielded in two hands is considered a two-handed weapon for such purposes.
    LLS

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 527

Are there any rules for fighting upside-down? In essence, when one person is standing upside-down and the other is the correct way around.

Example; one person is on the floor and the other is on the ceiling.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Troll in the Playground

A. 527

No, except for +1 to melee attacks for being on higher ground.
    LLS

25. - Top - End - #1405

Q. 528

Can you quickly explain ranged sneak attacking for me? I have a rogue who is going archery, and I am curious how they flank or whatever... The SRD talks about being within 30 feet, but doesnt really go into any detail.

26. - Top - End - #1406

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    A. 527

No, except for +1 to melee attacks for being on higher ground.
    Heh think about it Lord S.... They are both on higher ground relative to eachother. Or rather, each one feels his opponent is on higher ground, and feels that they themselves are on lower ground. I would say the +1 bonus cancels out here.

27. - Top - End - #1407

A527How is this being achieved? If one of them is using some magical ability that allows them to walk on celings, they technically have higher ground, since their gravity is still oriented the same way. If, however, this is happening due to Subjective Directional gravity, neither gets a bonus, because to their sense of gravity, they have the lower ground.

A528 When ranged Sneak Attacking, the Rogue only gets Sneak Attack when the target is flat-footed. This is because flanking only helps Rogues is they are participating in the flank. It is impossible to flank from a distance (The PHBII has a feat that lets you do this, IIRC). Therefore you cannot do it unless you catch them flat-footed.

If you don't have that feat, Hide in Plain Sight is your best frind. Pump hide, and pick up HiPS, and you can snipe for sneak attack every round. This also negates the disadvantage of being See Invisibilityed of True Seeinged.
    Last edited by martyboy74; 2007-08-24 at 08:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Halfling in the Playground

Q. 529

Does the Arcane Disciple feat let a Specialist Wizard pick up spells from prohibited schools (e.g. would a Wizard that dropped conjuration get all the healing spells if he took Arcane Disciple(Healing))?

29. - Top - End - #1409

NinjaGuy

A. 529
    From the SRD:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Spells of the prohibited school or schools are not available to the wizard, and she can’t even cast such spells from scrolls or fire them from wands. She may not change either her specialization or her prohibited schools later.
    The wording isn't as exact as it could be, but the implication seems to be that you cannot cast spells of the banned school in any situation, no matter what other way of casting the spell you might have. My interpretation is that unless the Arcane Disciple feat specifically says you can learn spells from a banned school, you can't.

The wording of specialization also raises the question of a Wiz/Sorc multiclass- is it okay to, say, specialize in divination and prohibit evocation, but still learn and cast evocation spells as a sorcerer? This would lead to a situation where as an Ultimate Magus you could gain Wizard spells (which cannot include evocation) and at the same level learn Sorc spells (which can include evocation).

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Titan in the Playground

A529 correction

A specialist wizard does not have spells from barred schools on his or her class spell list, preventing the use of such spell even from spell trigger items.

That's the extent of it, however. If you pick up the ability to cast such spells from another source, you may.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas