Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1578
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A (By RAW) III

Q530

What do MOMF and BBEG mean?

Thanks.
    Last edited by rovinpiper; 2007-08-24 at 12:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Pixie in the Playground

Q531

Can anyone point me to a good primer on using the forums to make maps and other campaign materials available to the players?

Thanks again.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rovinpiper View Post
    Q530

What do MOMF and BBEG mean?

Thanks.
    A 530, Partial

BBEG = Big Bad Evil Guy.

Used to refer to the primary villain in many games.

By the way, this thread is meant to be used primarily for rules-related questions. You might want to just make a new thread for your general game questions, especially #531.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-24 at 12:58 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Titan in the Playground

A530

BBEG stands for "Big Bad Evil Guy", ie the main boss/villain at the end of an adventure/campaign. I think MOMF is short for the Master of Many Forms prestige class, though I could wrong about this.

For future acronym questions, consider checking the Common Acronyms, Abbreviations, and Terms thread. It may be quicker to find these kind of answers there.

A531

I think that's a little out of the scope of this thread, since it doesn't involve rules interpretations. However, Asmodeus has a nice looking guide for maps.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Titan in the Playground

A531 MOMF is Master of Many Forms. It's a prestige class in Complete Adventurer or Complete Divine. I don't recall which.

6. - Top - End - #1416

Q 532

Vaynor's thread about Wild Shape and templates made me thinking ...

... the only limits for the Planar Ally and Planar Binding spells are HD (6, 12, or 18) and type (outsider or elemental). I once had my cleric of Lathander call a Half-Celestial Nymph Druid 4 / Lion of Talisid 2 with a Planar Ally spell. Some of the example planar allies in the Book of Exalted Deeds are similar.

Now, are there any rules that prevent one of stacking more templates to it so long as the type remains elemental or outsider ? Like, i.e. the Paragon Creature template ?

(Yes, I know that it is broken as hell.)
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-08-25 at 03:02 AM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1417

A532
    Quote Originally Posted by The SRD: Lesser Planar Binding
    By casting this spell, you request your deity to send you an elemental or outsider (of 6 HD or less) of the deity’s choice. If you serve no particular deity, the spell is a general plea answered by a creature sharing your philosophical alignment. If you know an individual creature’s name, you may request that individual by speaking the name during the spell (though you might get a different creature anyway).
    Planar Ally is a no on that, because your DM is god, and he will say 'no' if you try to summon anything utterly ridiculous. Planar Binding, on the other hand, has no such restriction. The only requirement is that the subject be an elemental or an outsider. This essentially gives you free to summon anything below the HD limit, through judicious use of the Half-Celestial and Half-Fiend templates, both of which change the type to outsider without HD changes.

The other problem with templating creatures is that your DM may rule that they are unique, and force you to find out their name.
    Last edited by martyboy74; 2007-08-25 at 06:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1418

Q533

Do you actually need to hit your enemy for the heal effect of Strike of Righteous Vitality (ToB 60,61) to work?
    I WILL round this Cape, even if I have to keep sailing until doomsday!
    Engaged in A Spat with Jibar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decken by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devil Lord-to-be and proud member of the Baatezu Lovers club!

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ettin in the Playground

A 533

Yes.

"To gain the benefit of this maneuver, you must strike an enemy creature..."

You must actually strike your foe, not simply attempt to do so.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-08-25 at 09:24 AM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

10. - Top - End - #1420

A532
    Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74 View Post
    The other problem with templating creatures is that your DM may rule that they are unique, and force you to find out their name.
    Or, more down to Earth, your DM might rule that such an odd combo does not exist in the multiverse (even if it might be created) and thus cannot be summoned.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74 View Post
    A528 When ranged Sneak Attacking, the Rogue only gets Sneak Attack when the target is flat-footed.
    A 528 Correction

The target being flat-footed is not a requirement.
    Sneak Attack

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target.
    Additionally, the Telling Blow feat (PH2) allows sneak attack damage when scoring a critical hit on the target, regardless of whether it is denied its DEX bonus to AC.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q534: Lets say that you can charge as a standard action. If so, can you start a charge while occupying an ally's space?

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 535
    Gaze attacks

If a creature has some kind of gaze attack listed in its attack options, does it mean that each opponent within the gaze range will automaticly be subject to the gaze, unless they specificaly stated taking appropriate precautions?

What about opponents entering the gaze range - will they be subject to the gaze right away after passing the treshold or will it kick in at the beggining of their next round?

Can the creature turn off its gaze power, so he can let some friends into the gaze range for a chit-chat and be able to see their faces?

What kind of an action is an active usage of a gaze? Is it a standard action?

Q. 536
    Iron Heart Surge

Can Iron Heart Surge (initiation action of 1 standard action) be used to counter effects that forbid one from taking standard actions, such as paralysis or nausea?

Can it be used to counter permanent effects? The description states that it can remove effects with duration of 1 or more rounds. Is "permanent" considered as "1 or more rounds", or is it outside of the scope because it is not really measurable with rounds?

Q. 537
    What would be the DC for a sickening blast invocation of a lvl5 warlock with charisma of 20?
    Last edited by Alveanerle; 2007-08-25 at 04:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Titan in the Playground

A535

Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Gaze Attacks
    While the medusa’s gaze is well known, gaze attacks can also charm, curse, or even kill. Gaze attacks not produced by a spell are supernatural.

Each character within range of a gaze attack must attempt a saving throw (which can be a Fortitude or Will save) each round at the beginning of his turn.

An opponent can avert his eyes from the creature’s face, looking at the creature’s body, watching its shadow, or tracking the creature in a reflective surface. Each round, the opponent has a 50% chance of not having to make a saving throw. The creature with the gaze attack gains concealment relative to the opponent. An opponent can shut his eyes, turn his back on the creature, or wear a blindfold. In these cases, the opponent does not need to make a saving throw. The creature with the gaze attack gains total concealment relative to the opponent.

A creature with a gaze attack can actively attempt to use its gaze as an attack action. The creature simply chooses a target within range, and that opponent must attempt a saving throw. If the target has chosen to defend against the gaze as discussed above, the opponent gets a chance to avoid the saving throw (either 50% chance for averting eyes or 100% chance for shutting eyes). It is possible for an opponent to save against a creature’s gaze twice during the same round, once before its own action and once during the creature’s action.

Looking at the creature’s image (such as in a mirror or as part of an illusion) does not subject the viewer to a gaze attack.

A creature is immune to its own gaze attack.

If visibility is limited (by dim lighting, a fog, or the like) so that it results in concealment, there is a percentage chance equal to the normal miss chance for that degree of concealment that a character won’t need to make a saving throw in a given round. This chance is not cumulative with the chance for averting your eyes, but is rolled separately.

Invisible creatures cannot use gaze attacks. Gaze attacks can affect ethereal opponents.

Characters using darkvision in complete darkness are affected by a gaze attack normally.

Unless specified otherwise, a creature with a gaze attack can control its gaze attack and “turn it off ” when so desired. Allies of a creature with a gaze attack might be affected. All the creature’s allies are considered to be averting their eyes from the creature with the gaze attack, and have a 50% chance to not need to make a saving throw against the gaze attack each round.
    Emphasis mine.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

A536 In order to activate Iron Heart Surge, you must have a standard action available to use it. Paralytic or action-preventing effects prevent its use.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A 535
    Gaze Attacks

Each opponent in range is subject to the gaze automatically once per round at the beginning of his turn. The save is at the beginning of the turn, not middle or end, so opponents entering the area do not have to save until their next turn, and even then only if the creature with the gaze attack is still in range when their turn comes around.

Creatures can turn it off unless specifically stated otherwise in the particular creature's description.

The active use of a gaze attack is an "attack action". Whether this means a standard action or whether it can be used as part of a full attack is debatable.

A 536
    If you are unable to take a standard action then you are unable to use Iron Heart Surge.

Permanent is a duration greater than 1 round, so permanent effects can be removed by Iron Heart Surge.

A 537
    Assuming no other modifiers, the save DC would be 10 + 2 (level of Sickening Blast) + 5 (charisma bonus) = 17. If the Warlock in question had Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast), it would be 19. If he happened to be using a blast shape invocation with level higher than 2, the DC would be based on the level of the blast shape rather than Sickening Blast's level.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Actana View Post
    Q534: Lets say that you can charge as a standard action. If so, can you start a charge while occupying an ally's space?
    A 534

If you or your ally normally require a full square (bigger than size tiny), the answer is no.
    You can’t run or charge through any square that would hamper your movement.
    Squeezing

In some cases, you may have to squeeze into or through an area that isn’t as wide as the space you take up. You can squeeze through or into a space that is at least half as wide as your normal space. Each move into or through a narrow space counts as if it were 2 squares, and while squeezed in a narrow space you take a -4 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty to AC.
    Sharing a space generally requires squeezing, which hampers your movement and thus precludes charging.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 534

If you or your ally normally require a full square (bigger than size tiny), the answer is no.
    Sharing a space generally requires squeezing, which hampers your movement and thus precludes charging.
    A534Corollary However, if you are both small and share the Swarmfighting feat, for example, you will be able to.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 538
    Is there an Awaken Construct spell?

Q 539
    Is there a cleric domain with Stone to Flesh?
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 538

Yes. Awaken Construct is in Spell Compendium.

A 539

The Gluttony domain has Stone to Flesh at 7th level.

21. - Top - End - #1431

Q540

What action is required to deactivate a command word activated item?
    I WILL round this Cape, even if I have to keep sailing until doomsday!
    Engaged in A Spat with Jibar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decken by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devil Lord-to-be and proud member of the Baatezu Lovers club!

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Titan in the Playground

Q 541

So, this came up whilst I was Home Brewing some Fatigue Rules for 3e. Do the Strength and Dexterity penalties cause Characters to lose access to Feats with Attribute Score prerequisites? Will, for instance, a Fatigued Character with Dexterity 15 lose the ability use his Two Weapon Fighting Feat when Fatigued? If this were the case, would you lose access to the Class Features of Prestige Classes that have certain Feats as prerequisites?
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-08-26 at 10:19 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

23. - Top - End - #1433

Q542
    This is my first time playing a Druid and I'm having problems understand the mechanics of Wildshape. I understand you keep your Wis/Int/Cha and gain the Str/Dex/Con of the new shape. But do you keep your skill/feats/saves/BAB/HP and all that stuff? I've read the rules on "Alternate Form" but I'm just not following it. Also, I'm reading everywhere that the only thing that matter for a Druid is Wis and Con. Wisdom is obvious, but why Con? Don't I get the Con of the new shape?

jp
    Last edited by The J Pizzel; 2007-08-26 at 11:17 AM.
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

Live everyday like it's your last and one day, you'll be right.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 540

It's another command word, typically a standard action to voice. Although the rules do allow for the use of "real" words, which can be spoken in normal conversation (an anytime free action), the default is a nonsensical word (such as "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious") which takes a full 3 seconds -- 1 standard action -- to say. Your DM will decide what sort of command word must be used.

A 541
    Feats

Prerequisites

Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite.

A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Q 541

Do the Strength and Dexterity penalties cause Characters to lose access to Feats with Attribute Score prerequisites?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    Will, for instance, a Fatigued Character with Dexterity 15 lose the ability use his Two Weapon Fighting Feat when Fatigued?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    If this were the case, would you lose access to the Class Features of Prestige Classes that have certain Feats as prerequisites?
    This one depends. There's a rule on page 16 of Complete Warrior:
    If a character no longer meets the requirements for a prestige class, he or she loses the benefit of any class features or other special abilities gained by the class.
    This rule is repeated in Complete Arcane. But there are prestige classes in other books (such as the Ur-Priest in Complete Divine) that can't exist if this CW page 16 rule applies: their level 1 class ability makes them no longer qualify to enter that prestige class. A "middle of the road" approach would apply the page 16 rule only to prestige classes in the books where this rule is stated.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2007-08-26 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Added second answer

25. - Top - End - #1435

Quote Originally Posted by Captain van der Decken View Post
    Q540

What action is required to deactivate a command word activated item?
    A 540

There is no hard rule for this. I would assume it depends on the item itself, and its effect.

If the item replicates a spell that can be dismissed, it is a free action. If the spell can't be dismissed, you can't deactivate the spell until it expires. Check the spells duration and the item's caster level to see how long it lasts.

Edit: Curmudgeon, do you have a reference for that rule that I missed?
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-26 at 11:28 AM.
    The Tangled Web

26. - Top - End - #1436

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Q 541

So, this came up whilst I was Home Brewing some Fatigue Rules for 3e. Do the Strength and Dexterity penalties cause Characters to lose access to Feats with Attribute Score prerequisites? Will, for instance, a Fatigued Character with Dexterity 15 lose the ability use his Two Weapon Fighting Feat when Fatigued? If this were the case, would you lose access to the Class Features of Prestige Classes that have certain Feats as prerequisites?
    A 541

Yes, loss of an ability score that is a prerequisite for a feat will prevent you from using that feat. You will regain use of that feat when your ability score is restored.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Feat Prerequisites
    Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite.

A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.
    I believe PrCs work the same way, but can't find a reference for that right now. I'll edit this after I do more digging.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-26 at 11:40 AM.
    The Tangled Web

27. - Top - End - #1437

Quote Originally Posted by jpbooth View Post
    Q542
    This is my first time playing a Druid and I'm having problems understand the mechanics of Wildshape. I understand you keep your Wis/Int/Cha and gain the Str/Dex/Con of the new shape. But do you keep your skill/feats/saves/BAB/HP and all that stuff? I've read the rules on "Alternate Form" but I'm just not following it. Also, I'm reading everywhere that the only thing that matter for a Druid is Wis and Con. Wisdom is obvious, but why Con? Don't I get the Con of the new shape?

jp
    A 542

A Druid keeps his skill ranks, feats, base save bonuses, BAB, and HP.

However, certain skills will be unusable, such as craft skills. Hard to make armor if you don't have opposable thumbs. In the same vein of thought, even though you have a feat, you may not be able to use it. Eschew Materials, for example, will do you no good, if you are unable to cast spells in your new form.

The skill checks, and attack bonus will be modified by your new ability scores, instead of your old ones. Also, you will recover HP damage as if you had rested for a night.

Consult with your DM for specifics about what feats or skills are unavailable to you while in animal form.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Alternate Form
    # The creature retains its hit points and save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability scores.
    # Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-26 at 12:50 PM.
    The Tangled Web

28. - Top - End - #1438

Q542 Cont.
    Thanks Asmodeus. But what about the whole Con. thing. I keep reading that "only stats that matter to a Druid are Wis. and Con., thanks to the errata". What are these people referring too? Why is Con a big deal if I take the Con of the new shape?

edit - Asmodeus, love your avatar.
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

Live everyday like it's your last and one day, you'll be right.

29. - Top - End - #1439

Quote Originally Posted by jpbooth View Post
    Q542 Cont.
    Thanks Asmodeus. But what about the whole Con. thing. I keep reading that "only stats that matter to a Druid are Wis. and Con., thanks to the errata". What are these people referring too? Why is Con a big deal if I take the Con of the new shape?

edit - Asmodeus, love your avatar.
    Thanks. I like it too. :)
    Ink is an awesome avatarist.

As far as the question of stats go, that goes beyond the scope of this thread. Questions about Stat placement and Character building are too dependent on personal opinion, and have such a large variety, that they usually need a separate thread. I suggest ask the people who have told you such things what they mean, or make a new thread.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-26 at 12:03 PM.
    The Tangled Web

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Titan in the Playground

Q 541 continued

Thanks guys, I thought that was the case.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)