New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2641424344454647484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1578
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A (By RAW) III

Question: Damage from falling objects.

Lets say I drop a desk on a prone enemy from 10 ft? 20 ft.? 30 ft.?
    How is this adjudicated by raw?
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Troll in the Playground

A. 564

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    Question: Damage from falling objects.

The DMG has rules for such occurrences under the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    FALLING OBJECTS

Just as characters take damage when they fall more than 10 feet, so too do they take damage when they are hit by falling objects.

Objects that fall upon characters deal damage based on their weight and the distance they have fallen.

For each 200 pounds of an object’s weight, the object deals 1d6 points of damage, provided it falls at least 10 feet. Distance also comes into play, adding an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 10-foot increment it falls beyond the first (to a maximum of 20d6 points of damage).

Objects smaller than 200 pounds also deal damage when dropped, but they must fall farther to deal the same damage. Use Table: Damage from Falling Objects to see how far an object of a given weight must drop to deal 1d6 points of damage.

Table: DAMAGE FROM FALLING OBJECTS
    Object Weight Falling Distance
    200–101 lb. 20 ft.
    100–51 lb. 30 ft.
    50–31 lb. 40 ft.
    30–11 lb. 50 ft.
    10–6 lb. 60 ft.
    5–1 lb. 70 ft.

For each additional increment an object falls, it deals an additional 1d6 points of damage. Objects weighing less than 1 pound do not deal damage to those they land upon, no matter how far they have fallen.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    A 564

Assuming you hit, Lord_Silvanos has quoted all the pertinent information. There is no guarantee you'll hit, however. An enemy being prone doesn't automatically get hit; in fact, the RAW makes it harder for you to hit them with a ranged attack, even from directly above.
    Prone

The character is on the ground. An attacker who is prone has a -4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A defender who is prone gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a -4 penalty to AC against melee attacks.
    And you're almost certainly not proficient in using a desk as a weapon.
    Improvised Weapons

Sometimes objects not crafted to be weapons nonetheless see use in combat. Because such objects are not designed for this use, any creature that uses one in combat is considered to be nonproficient with it and takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls made with that object. To determine the size category and appropriate damage for an improvised weapon, compare its relative size and damage potential to the weapon list to find a reasonable match. An improvised weapon scores a threat on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. An improvised thrown weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.
    There aren't any desk-like objects on the weapon list. Going strictly by weight, the heaviest medium size weapon is the orc double axe, a two-handed weapon weighing 15 lbs.
    Weight figures are for Medium weapons. A Small weapon weighs half as much, and a Large weapon weighs twice as much.
    A weapon’s size category isn’t the same as its size as an object. Instead, a weapon’s size category is keyed to the size of the intended wielder. In general, a light weapon is an object two size categories smaller than the wielder, a one-handed weapon is an object one size category smaller than the wielder, and a two-handed weapon is an object of the same size category as the wielder.

Inappropriately Sized Weapons

A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.
    If the desk-wielding character is medium size and the desk is more than 30 lbs. (i.e., more than one size category larger than the heaviest weapon sized for a medium character), then they normally can't use it as a weapon. If they had the Monkey Grip feet they could use a weapon one size larger, and ditto for each character size larger than medium. If the desk's weight bumps the size category beyond their capacity, it's impossible to use it as a weapon, by RAW.

Doing the damage is the easy part. Hitting is hard.

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q.565

Which weapon deals the most average damage? I'm thinking either Greatsword or falchion.

5. - Top - End - #1505
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 566:

What does armor weight have to do with arcane spell failure chance, speed , armor check penalty, and maximum dex bonus?

For example, what differences would there be between normal, heavy fullplate, and light fullplate?
    Last edited by Alleine; 2007-08-30 at 07:23 PM.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

6. - Top - End - #1506

A566: Armor weight (I'm assuming you mean light, medium, and heavy) has no specific relation to ACP or the maximum dexterity bonus. Light armor does not reduce speed at all. Medium and Heavy armor reduce the speed of creatures with a 30' by 10' and the speed of creatures witha 20' speed by 5'. ASF has no specific relation to armor weight. However, certain abilities such as the bard's armour proficiency allow casting in various weights of armor withour ASF.

7. - Top - End - #1507
    Titan in the Playground

A566

I'm not quite sure what you mean...full plate is heavy armor unless made of a special material that lowers its category, like mithral. The special material's description will tell you what effect it has on those things.

As far as armor weight categories go...
    • Light armor allows you maintain your base land speed and run at 4 times your land speed
    • Medium armor restricts your land speed to 2/3s of its base, and allows you to run at 4 times your land speed
    • Heavy armor restricts your land speed to 2/3s of its base, and restricts you to running at 3 times your land speed.

If your referring to encumbrance, carrying a medium or heavy load causes penalties similar to armor. To recap:
    • A medium load restricts your max Dex bonus to AC to +3, gives you an armor check penalty of -3, reduces your land speed to 2/3s base, and allows you to run at 4 times your land speed
    • A heavy load restricts your max Dex bonus to AC to +1, gives you an armor check penalty of -6, reduces your land speed to 2/3s base, and restricts you to running at 3 times your land speed
    If you're also wearing armor, you take the worst of the two conditions; the armor check penalties do not stack, and you get the lower of the two "max Dex to AC"s and run speeds.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

8. - Top - End - #1508
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jalil View Post
    Q.565

Which weapon deals the most average damage? I'm thinking either Greatsword or falchion.
    A 565

This isn't as simple a question as you think. For the core weapons that can be used by medium characters, the largest damage is from the heavy catapult at 6d6 (average 21). If you're talking just portable weaponry, the largest damage is from a 20th level Monk's unarmed attack at 2d10 (average 11). Obviously augmenting size and adding magical weapon enhancements will increase these numbers.

9. - Top - End - #1509

Q 567:

Where can I find the Hellfire Warlock PrC that I've heard so much about?
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

10. - Top - End - #1510
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 567

Fiendish Codex II, page 89.

There's also an online excerpt.

11. - Top - End - #1511
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 568
    Spellcasting vs. Enervation.
    If Cleric 7 gets hit with 6 negative levels worth of enervation spells, can he still cast spells from 2nd spell level and higher?
    The description of enervation mentions loosing 1 highest spell per level lost, but i guess this only means that these spells are lost from the memorization - once the caster regains his lost levels he gains access to all other (non-lost) spells he had previously memorized. While to actually cast a spell while under level-loss effect, one still needs its effective (after drain) level to be high enough as a prerequisite. Is it right?

12. - Top - End - #1512
    Troll in the Playground

A. 568

If you are energy drained you can still cast your high level spells (assuming the caster still have access to them), but your effective level is reduced.

Your example cleric would still be able to cast 2nd level spells (or higher with a high enough Wisdom) if the cleric still had some memorized after having 6 spell slots wiped away and possibly casting some before the drain. The CL would be 1, however, shortening the duration and effect of many spells.
    LLS

13. - Top - End - #1513
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: A 568

Except that most 2nd level spells cannot be cast at CL 1.

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicOverview.html#caster-level]SRD:Magic Overview:Caster Level[/url]
    You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.
    (( There is no direct statement about what happens when it is involuntarily reduced, but I would assume the same principles apply. ))
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

14. - Top - End - #1514
    Troll in the Playground

A. 568

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    Re: A 568
    Except that most 2nd level spells cannot be cast at CL 1.
    You are of course correct and I apologize for my misleading answer above that resulted in this reply.

Energy Drain does not reduce caster level, it reduces the effective level at which spells are cast (with respect to rolls and calculations).
    This means that the results of the above example is the equivalent of having a CL of 1 for most purposes, even casting 2nd level spells.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Energy Drain
    –1 effective level (whenever the creature’s level is used in a die roll or calculation, reduce it by one for each negative level).
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-08-31 at 09:49 AM.
    LLS

15. - Top - End - #1515
    Orc in the Playground

Q 569

What would the ECL of a Rakshasa, as written in the MM, be?

16. - Top - End - #1516
    Troll in the Playground

A. 569

ECL 14. (7 racial HD + 7 Level Adjustment)
    LLS

17. - Top - End - #1517
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    Energy Drain does not reduce caster level, it reduces the effective level at which spells are cast (with respect to rolls and calculations).
    This means that the results of the above example is the equivalent of having a CL of 1 for most purposes, even casting 2nd level spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Energy Drain
    –1 effective level (whenever the creature’s level is used in a die roll or calculation, reduce it by one for each negative level).
    Just noticed something...it says "the creature's level". Does this mean any level the creature possesses, like caster level, or is it referring solely to character level?

18. - Top - End - #1518
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Just noticed something...it says "the creature's level". Does this mean any level the creature possesses, like caster level, or is it referring solely to character level?
    I think it refers to all kinds of levels.
    If you have a Non-caster class X / Caster class Y and get drained your effective level would be: X+Y-1

Your effective CL would be:
    Y-1

But still only in case it is used for a die roll or calculation.
    LLS

19. - Top - End - #1519
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 570

Does Mithral-ing a Heavy Steel Shield make it a Light Shield?

Q 571

Does the wearer of a Psychic Skin (Expanded Psionics, Magic Item Compendium) need to be psionically endowed to make use of them (except the one that specifically mentions Psychic Warriors)?

Q 572

Are there any other typed bonuses to AC, other than dodge, that stack?
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

20. - Top - End - #1520

A 570: No. Mithral only reduces that weight category of armor.

A 571: No.

A 572: No, unless specified by the affect that grants the bonus.

21. - Top - End - #1521
    Ettin in the Playground

A 572, additional information

Circumstance bonuses from different circumstances always stack (to everything, not just AC). However, I would think it would be very rare to end up with circumstance bonuses to AC from two different sources.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

22. - Top - End - #1522
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks. Forgot a couple of questions:

Q 573

Can Twin Sword Style (A feat from Forgotten Realms) work with Bastard Swords, or would that require a house-rule?

Q 574

Can a Multiclass/Gestalt Fighter/Cleric use both the Manual of Puissant Skill at Arms (Epic Handbook) and Book of Exalted Deeds/Vile Darkness to gain two levels?

Q 574a

Could a Good Aligned Cleric, who previously used BoED, and then turned evil and defected to an appropriate God, then use the BoVD for another level?
    Last edited by RMS Oceanic; 2007-08-31 at 06:58 PM.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

23. - Top - End - #1523
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 565

This isn't as simple a question as you think. For the core weapons that can be used by medium characters, the largest damage is from the heavy catapult at 6d6 (average 21). If you're talking just portable weaponry, the largest damage is from a 20th level Monk's unarmed attack at 2d10 (average 11). Obviously augmenting size and adding magical weapon enhancements will increase these numbers.
    A 565 addendum
    Additionally, the base damage isn't the only consideration. There is the average damage due to critical hits (which is dependent upon the threat range, the attacker's BAB, and the opponents' AC).

A crude formula to estimate the net average damage for a weapon would look something like this:
    <D> = h * <d> + (21 - r)/20 * h * c * <d>
    = h * <d> * (1 + (21-r)/20 * c)

Where <D> is the expected damage done, <d> is the average damage due to the weapon, r is the lowest value given in the threat range (e.g. for a weapon with a threat range of 19-20, r = 19), c is the damage modifier (e.g. for a x3 weapon, c = 3), and h is the chance of scoring a hit for the specific character. The average, therefore, is a function of h and <d> (everything else is a constant).

The value of <d> is calculated by taking n*((1 + d)/2) + m, where n is the number of times a die is rolled, d is the number of sides on the die, and m is the modifier applied (e.g. for a weapon that does 2d4+1 damage, <d> = 2*((1 + 4)/2) + 1 = 6.

The average damage for a longsword wielded by a character with no modifiers at level one against an opponent of AC 10 is therefore:
    <d> = (1 + 8)/2 = 4.5
    r = 19 => (21 - r)/20 = 2/20 = 1/10 = 0.1
    h = (20 - 10)/20 = 0.5

<D> = 0.5 * 4.5 * (1 + 0.1*2) = 2.25 * (1.2) = 2.7.

One reason the formula is crude is because it doesn't take into account the "20 always hits" factor. The longsword (for example) has a threat on 19-20, but if a person is targeting a foe that can only be hit on a natural 20, the 'extra' threat shouldn't be factored into the calculation.

For fun you can tabulate the results yourself with a d20 and a d8. Try 10 or 20 rolls. A program I wrote some time ago for gaming calculations reveals that 1000 tests of 1000 attack rolls each yields an average damage of 2.66 (which leads me to believe I goofed somewhere in my calculation above).

24. - Top - End - #1524
    Titan in the Playground

A574

Yes. I don't see any exclusivity between the two.

A574a

I don't see anything in the RAW preventing this, though I wouldn't be surprised if a DM ruled otherwise.

25. - Top - End - #1525
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple Q&A (By RAW) III

Q 575

How long does it take a Sorcerer to cast a Summon Monster spell with a metamagic feat applied? As an example, a 6th level Sorcerer is casting Summon Monster II with the Extend Spell feat applied. Does the casting of this spell take two full round actions?

26. - Top - End - #1526
    Titan in the Playground

A575

Yes. If the spell's casting time is already more then a standard action, spontaneously applying a metamagic feat increases it by a full-round action.

Side note: Summon monster II's casting time is one round, not a full-round action. The difference is slight, but important: unaltered, the spell isn't completed at the end of your turn, but at the start of the next turn. Your spell can be disrupted in the intervening time, and your summoned creature doesn't appear until then.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2007-08-31 at 10:39 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1527
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 576

Do you have to hold a metamagic rod in order to use it? The item description only mentions that it is use-activated, and the description of use-activated mentions that some items only need to be on the user's person.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

28. - Top - End - #1528
    Troll in the Playground

A. 576

Yes, the item description refers to wielding it.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Metamagic Rods
    Metamagic, X: The wielder...
    LLS

29. - Top - End - #1529
    Troll in the Playground

A. 573

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Q 573

Can Twin Sword Style (A feat from Forgotten Realms) work with Bastard Swords, or would that require a house-rule?
    That would require a house rule. The listed blades in the feat descriptions are the only ones that the feat works on RAW.
    LLS

30. - Top - End - #1530
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 577

Is the 6ft. range of the Shadow Noose maneuver correct, and if so, how is it measured?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?