New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: LotR: The Fourth Age (IC)

"I have every intent of treating anyone who joins my company like a brother; isn't that right, men?" There's a rumble of assent and a quiet hear-hear. "But, in the interests of your own legal rights in Rohan and elsewhere, I do insist on this little formality."
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Finnean Tossbottle

"Well... here goes..." Finnean says, a bit of hesitation in his voice but he tries to hide it. Having read the entire contract and grasped it to the best of his ability he makes his squiggly mark above the appropriate place. "There. It's official."
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Wonderful to have you aboard, Master..." At this, Methendar takes the packet and quickly reads over the letters of the signature. "Tossbottle. Yes, wonderful indeed. And the rest of you, should you be as daring as this valiant hobbit."
    Suspiciously normal.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordae View Post
    "But, in the interests of your own legal rights in Rohan and elsewhere, I do insist on this little formality."
    Mazarien nods in understanding "Very well, friend, let us not fret over this.", he takes the paper and signs it without reading it, rolls it back and hands it back, "I'm sure it will be mutually benefitial in numerous ways." and draws a friendly smile.
    Hofkah, the Earth Worker (Dragonborn Druid 1)
    Ffermwyr, the White Lion (High Elf Ranger 3)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Excellent," Amras nods. "Pass it here next, would you?" As soon as the contract comes his way again, he picks up the pen and adds his signature in the common script to the previous two names.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Robyn's signature came next. She felt a surge of excitement as her pen made the final flourish. It felt as if she'd taken the first step of a great journey. She passed the contract along with a smile.

"A company that treats its recruits like brothers? That certainly has a nice ring to it. But if it's all the same to you, sir, I'd rather be treated like a sister."
    Last edited by Anyr; 2015-12-07 at 11:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Finnean Tossbottle

Finnean chuckles under his breath at Robyn's comment and watches for the response from Methendar.
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing the others sign the contract, Dain reads through it. If he doesn't see anything outrageous in it, he'll sign it.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Well, sister, provided you carry your weight I shall be glad to call you either." Methendar takes the contract back once the last signature is in place. "Welcome to the Stalwart Merchant Company of Rohan, all of you. Our caravan departs in seven days for Ost-in-Edhil, and I trust you will all be packed and ready to meet us in the town square come that dawn. For now, let us make merry and celebrate; your addition makes full our number, and to that auspicious completion I pledge my coin to your food and drink this night!"
    Suspiciously normal.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

"Then what are we waiting for! There's stomachs to be filled!"

So saying, Robyn drank deep from the tankard in her hand. However long the celebrations lasted, she'd be there until the very end. Her joyful voice would frequently be heard across the whole tavern: In between gulps, that is. When at last Robyn departed for home and bed, her step was unsteady indeed. No doubt morning would bring a pounding headache and a dozen regrets; But that time was still far away. In the here and now, she felt absolutely fantastic.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2015-12-18 at 06:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

GreenSorcererElf

The dwarf nods, and snags another flask of ale.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Finnean Tossbottle

That was it then, the contract had been signed by everyone and the fussy business matter were out of the way... now for the good stuff. As the politics began to give way to enjoying the evening, the food, the drinks, and the people around him the hobbit's natural curiosity, further fueled by free ale, would set him about chattering with the fellow adventurers. He was wary of course about the strange men and the apparently ever-bitter dwarf but would prod them with questions or comments whenever he was able, attempting to hear more of what had set them on this particular path and what stories they might have.

At the end of the night he'd eventually get to the business of finding a place to sleep ... tomorrow would be a busy day indeed and there were preparations to be made. A week wasn't much time at all when it came to changing one's entire life...

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The party wears on for hours, and eventually Yoland is left to encourage his guests to their beds in the wee hours of the night. Methendar's youngest man, Toben, offers Mazarien an extra bed in the loft, at least giving the easterner a warm place to stay for the night.

Come dawn, the rooster crows early, and a lambent, golden haze pervades the square outside as Bree awakens to a warm fog. The market slowly stirs to life: first the bakers, then the smiths, then the hawkers with their carts. Finally the farmers arrive, wagons laden with squashes and potatoes and other vegetables that are hardy enough to last the winter in cold storage. Methendar's men linger over breakfast before going their own way to acquire provisions for the journey.

Unless interrupted by other intentions, the rest of the days pass similarly, and on the next firstday bright sunshine greets the early risers who begin to pack up the wagon train bound for Eregion.
    Suspiciously normal.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Robyn spent little time on preparations. After all, she'd essentially been planning this journey for years. Most of the equipment was already sitting in her house, waiting to be used. The only things missing were a few perishables. Thus, she was already done by the end of the second day. The remaining time was hers to spend as she pleased. Robyn wiled away those hours with a mix of training, conversation, and a farewell tour of the home that she would soon leave behind. She wasn't particularly bothered about getting to know her new companions yet. There'd be plenty of time for that on the road.

As far as Robyn was concerned, the final day couldn't arrive fast enough. When it finally dawned, she was out of bed in record time. She excitedly rushed across the room to get dressed...and was greeted by a very pleasant surprise. In the place where her plain peasant clothes usually waited, there was something else: A brand new, high quality traveller's outfit. Robyn reached out and felt the crisp fabric. As a weaver's daughter, she knew just how much it cost to make something like this. Every stitch bore the trademark style of her parents. They must have been secretly making this for weeks. Robyn grinned: When she got downstairs, her mother and father were going to get one of the biggest hugs of their life.

Once she and her parents had finished saying their last goodbyes (an emotional time for all concerned), Robyn left her village behind. Soon enough, a smartly dressed young woman took her place among the Stalwart Merchant Company of Rohan. If they were late in departing, she was liable to start without them...

15. - Top - End - #75

ElfWarriorGuy

Mazarien had all his belongings straped to his back, which has been the usual on the last few months, although enjoying the celebration, he did so in a more reserved way, which one could be unsure if because of his different culture, or due to the fact of being completely out of place in the west, maybe a bit of both, but even that didn't stop him from displaying a smile or two while lifting mugs of ale with his newfound companions and the rest of the "brothers".

Come the morning of their journey, Mazarien was up early and ready to depart after tidying up the place he was offered to sleep, having no bond to say goodbye to, he stood next to one of the wagons, wearing his brass-colored chainmail and with his polearms straped to his back, standing in attention and waiting for the others, greeting them with a quick nod as they approach, almost militarly.

16. - Top - End - #76

GreenSorcererElf

Dain doesn't need to prepare, as he was already set for a long journey having re-provisioned earlier. Lacking the funds for a mount(And not really wanting one), he spends his time touring the human city, and grumbling. When the time comes, he seems to be ready.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Robyn is first to the square, and finds three wagons already hitched up to teams of well-behaved horses. Despite their docile manner, the black-coated animals have a fierce, almost feral look about the eyes, as though they, too, have days of battle in their past. Young Toben is tending to the leatherwork, his own chestnut locks set adrift by the morning breeze. A broad, brown leather cloak shrouds his shoulders and drapes across the ground as he squats, deep-kneed, to check the straps under the chest of one of the magnificent horses. Peeking out from under the ragged semicircle of leather is the point of a scabbard, belted to the young man's left side.

He glances up and over his shoulder at Robyn's approach, squinting a little bit at the rising sun that looms far behind her on the horizon. "Good morrow, miss," he offers in a pleasant, though quiet, voice as he tugs on a strap with both hands. "It seems as though you have brought the sun with you for this journey."

As Mazarien and Dain approach, so too do a quartet of riders, rounding the corner from behind the stables that adjoin the Prancing Pony. They sit their mounts like warriors familiar to the task, clad in shining chain mail wrapped with the same sort of utilitarian cloak borne by Toben. Two of them are recognizable as Falanthor and Holdras, who shared table the previous night, but Methendar and Gwaen are not among the group. The newcomers are tall and lanky, as lean as Toben but surmounting his height by several inches, and their tangled curls of ebon drape down past their shoulders. Prominent cheek bones and chins, and deep set eyes of almond hue, are held in common among them and suggest kinship, though one has a narrow, white-pink scar on his left temple.

Holdras draws the group to a halt near the wagons and dismounts, sliding from his dark-oiled saddle with practiced ease. "Greetings," he addresses Mazarien with a hand raised to the salute. "Stand not so formally among comrades, or we shall all grow stiff from watching you!" His companions on horseback share in brief laughter.
    Suspiciously normal.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Robyn gave Toben a friendly nod. She came to a halt nearby, and leant casually against the nearest wagon. Her eyes watched his work with interest. Though no stranger to horses herself, she still had a lot to learn. People might one day depend on her to perform these tasks herself.

"Of course I did. Without it, the journey would have been cold indeed."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"The Misty Mountains will be cold regardless. I shall be glad for any amount of warmth along the way." Finishing with the straps, the young warrior of Rohan stands to his full height. "You may place your belongings in this one," he says, pointing to the mostly empty middle wagon. The other two wagons are packed to almost overflowing with boxes and crates, tied down with ropes that wrap around the burgeoning load like so many constricting snakes. Dangling from the side are tools of various kinds, hung on nets that drape over the top.
    Suspiciously normal.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

"Much obliged."

Robyn did as suggested. Her backpack and assorted equipment were soon stowed in a corner of the second wagon. The only exception was her trusty quarterstaff. You never knew when there'd be a skull that needed cracking. Once the last item had been loaded, Robyn turned back to Toben.

"Done. So, need any help? As an eager new recruit, I want to do my part."

21. - Top - End - #81

GreenSorcererElf

Dain too heads over to the wagon, and carefully offloads his pack, although he does keep some rations on him. His shield remains on his back.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #82

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordae View Post
    "Greetings," he addresses Mazarien with a hand raised to the salute. "Stand not so formally among comrades, or we shall all grow stiff from watching you!" His companions on horseback share in brief laughter.
    A friendly smile cuts across the easterner's face, brightening up a bit "'Tis naught a proper and long walk might take away, sir.", loosening up his posture just a bit, "Worry not, brother.", he approaches the middle wagon and ties his backpack somewhere available, keeping his polearms straped to his back.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Toben gives Robyn a long, speculative look, and nods in response to her question. "Alright. You see this strap here? It runs around the belly of the horse and balances the weight of the wagon that it's pulling. If it's too loose, the leather will rub against the chest and we'll have a lame animal in a day or two when the blisters finally open up. If it's too tight, she'll have trouble breathing and will drop dead, or nearly so, before we've gone half a day's travel. So tighten it enough to be snug but not constricting. You should be able to just worm the fingers of your hand between the two, like so." He presses four digits up under the strap, passing them through so the tips are just visible on the other side. "If you can take care of the first wagon, I'll work on the third." He quickly moves on, a faint flush mounting on his cheeks, and one of the four riders breaks off to trot up behind him. The two men exchange words quietly, and after a few moments the rider turns back to the main group, rolling his eyes rather dramatically as he draws to a halt near his mounted companions.
    Suspiciously normal.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Finnean Tossbottle

Content with the preparations he'd made and the supplies he was able to purchase with his meager funds, Finnean whistles as he heads towards the meet-up on the morning of. He'd said his goodbyes to family and friends, some saddened at his departure others who turned up their nose at the very notion and today was the first day in his very own story of adventure. His full pack rattles and jingles as he sways from one step to another as he enjoys the warm sunny weather. He grins as he approaches the group and begins to unshoulder his gear. "Ho there! Good morning all!"

- - -

Taking a cue from the others, he readies his backpack and places it in the appropriate wagon. He keeps the most vital supplies on his person and packs a few of his items into various pockets and belt pouches. He excitedly watches the activity and looks for a sign that he might be needed to help ... or at least needing to get out of the way.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Finnean Tossbottle

"Good morning to set off eh? Great weather, I hope it holds for at least a while." The hobbit says cheerfully to Dain, a smile on his face.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: Robyn and Finnean
    Show
    "You won't get far, lad, if that's how you manage your opportunities." The black-haired rider is positively leering at the flustered-looking young man tending the straps of the last wagon.

"I can manage just fine, cousin, thank you very much." Toben maintains a steadfast gaze at the horse right next to Robyn, the color continuing to rise in his cheeks, before his flashing eyes suddenly turn upward to meet his inquisitor. "You won't tell Methendar."

"That depends on when I need something from you." The rider grins somewhat impolitely before wheeling his horse to return to the side group of mounted warriors.

The ebon-haired rider, having returned to the mounted quartet, scans the road past the doors of the Prancing Pony. "How far did Gwaen say we would go today? We won't make half a league if they spend all morning haggling!"

"Patience, Galbad. Unless you are keen on starving to death in the mountains, let them conduct the business as they see fit." Holdras rests a hand on the mane of his dappled bay, absently running his fingers through the long, soft hair.

"He could at least have allowed us to sleep another hour!" The one called Galbad reaches out an elbow to nudge his twin. "Redelos needs his beauty rest, after all!" The familiar laughter among the quartet rings across the slowly busying square.
    Suspiciously normal.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Robyn diligently attended to her new duties. She adjusted the straps with precision and care, just as Toben had instructed: While listening to a conversation which made her teeth clench. So she was an 'opportunity', was she? A prize to be claimed? Well, these men were in for a shock if they ever tried to do so. Robyn had no intention of being anything more than a comrade to them. Hopefully Methendar took a similar view. From the sounds of it, Toben and the other rider didn't want to draw his eye. Maybe their leader had a rule against this sort of thing...

...or maybe he'd already called 'dibs' on her. Robyn shuddered at the thought.

28. - Top - End - #88

GreenSorcererElf

Dain, shrugging, moves around, checking the metalwork on the wagons, to ensure that it was in good condition.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Finnean Tossbottle

"Ok then ... some other time..." Finnean's voice trails off as the dwarf trudges off without more than a shrug. He didn't particularly see the point in folks who kept up the tough-guy, loner, facade when there was so much more to be gained from fellowship. The world was full of such great things to try, places to explore, and people to meet ... and even if there were less than savory folks out there it was all the more reason for folks to come together for the betterment of all. Not one to have his spirits dashed before they even set off, the hobbit heads over towards Robyn when he catches wind of the conversations between their new-found allies in her regard.

Siding up alongside his companion he tries to change to change the topic to something more upbeat. "Mind the dwarf... he'll talk your ear off. Wished him a good morning and practically spilled his entire life story before I could get away." The hobbit grins mischievously.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Robyn's vexed expression softened when she heard Finnean's voice. Here was one companion who'd never look at her with those eyes. It'd be a great comfort to have him around. Out of necessity, her own eyes remained fixed on the horse she was tending.

"Oh yes, I quite agree. Back at the inn, I simply could not get him to shut up."