Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel
    As originally published by Chameleon-X on the Wizards of the Coast message boards

    Personal Note: Since the guide was saved as a notepad file, all the color ratings are now lost. I could try to give the features ratings but that would probably alter the original guide so i'll just leave it as it is for now.


    This is a work in progress - but open for discussion.

    Stratagem Eldrica a treatise on magical tanking

    by NightSteel, Eldritch Knight

    Bullhorne Knight by Cheshfire on Deviantart

    Hail, fellow Eldricht Knight!

    Clad in armor and wielding mighty weapons while also adept at casting spells, we hail from a most elite cadre of fighters.
    As equally dedicated to the art of war as to the art of magic, schooled in abjuration and evocation, we are as adept at blasting and pummeling our opposition as we are as shielding ourselves and, to a lesser extent, our allies on any given battlefield.

    Epitomes of battlefield prowess and arcane might, we are the Eldritch Knights. We wield steel - and we wield magic.

    Feast on a beer, some wine, or if all else fails, some water and be sure to examine my treatise in all detail.


    Stat Priority from Highest to lowest:
    CON & STR (15 required for heaviest armor) & INT
    You are front-line. More hitpoints will let you live longer.
    While INT is not generally required for this build to shine, there are some situations in which you will want a high int score to get the most out of the Arcana Skill and dispel checks for enemy spells.

    CHA>WIS>DEX

    NOTE I personally favor Charisma because of the added RP options and skills it allows. I like playing a charming, bad-ass magical knight. If you wish to min-max, go with DEX and WIS to aid you with saving throws.


    Fighting Style:

    Defense
    You will expect to be in melee alot. Choose Defense for the +1 AC (it WILL save your ass).
    Or Great Weapon Fighting if you favor a melee-heavy build.
    NOTE: There seems to be some discussion over the viability of Defense over others. In my opinion, getting less hit is what you want. If you die - the party will feel the hurt much more.
    Search around - there is math available on the viability.
    Update #1 Especiall at lower levels, the inherent +1 AC has saved my fighter's butt a couple of times.


    Great Weapon Fighting & Dual Wield:
    While you can theoretically dish out large numbers with a Great Weapon, I found that the reroll, while handy, does not substitute for the added resiliency of Defensive Style.


    Second Wind:
    Use second wind when around 70-80% of your total hitpoints when solo or when you reach 40HP. If your party is alright with short-resting alot, prepare for synergy with the damage-lowering cantrip used in the build. If you are at low levels, use it to survive.
    If you have a healer, coordinate with himher for best timing.
    Update #1 Second Wind is always handy to have. I use it liberally at lower levels, as the amount of HP gained is very noticeable.

    Action Surge:
    Recharges on a short rest. Use wisely to get out of tight spots, finish off enemies or double-and-triple cast. Potentially very powerful for Eldritch Knights, as it allows for the casting of multiple spells per round.
    NOTE: Remember it allows you to cast multiple spells a turn. You are an Eldritch knight, so get dirty. This allows you to barrage, if you choose, up to 2 Fireballs in a round at Lvl 13, a devastating alpha strike. This is awesome burst damage. Oh, and you get 2 melee strikes as bonus weapon strikes as well, if that isn't good enough.

    Cantrips:
    Eldritch Knights must make full synergy of their war-caster feats in battle. My selection of Cantrips synergizes well with staying alive.

    Bound Weapons:
    Useful feature which also frees up some carrying capacity.

    WarMagic:
    With this, your cantrips become viable always-on buffs. Select Cantrips that will be useful to you from Levels 3-20. Arcane Archers, remember that a bow is a weapon.

    EldritchStrike:
    Very good to set up big-hitting debuffs or spell attacks.

    Arcane Charge:
    Useful as combat teleport with Action Surge. Allows for 30ft of good mobility and a good offensive combo.

    Improved War Magic:
    Useful to keep up your damage output. Probably useful if in a Combo with True Strike and Melee feats.



    Cantrips
    1) Blade Ward 5/5
    This will make you very very durable.
    It simple to use. Is the Ogre you are facing wielding a big ass club
    Surrounded by enemies armed with nasty spears Would you rather take 12 of that damage
    Many enemies use weapons. Selecting Blade ward will halve that damage and allow you to strike back.
    With War Magic
    Cast Blade Ward and Attack. Together with your high AC (you took that plate mail and the defense feature, right comrade) it will allow you to halve
    damage in big weapon fights while allowing you to put the smack-down in return.

    This will allow you to survive prolonged fights and it is a good strategy when out of spells, as you never run out of cantrips that way.
    It is also a very good strategy to survive swarming or hordes of arrow coming your way.

    USAGE Use when tanking or facing a very tough monster. Better to be safe than sorry.


    2) Chill Touch Don't let it heal him! 3/5
    While initially appearing a weak choice, I prefer Chill Touch because of
    a) It is a never-ending ranged attack that scales AND has good utility,
    b) it denies healing
    c) Undead enemies suffer disadvantage when attacking you

    Use Chill Touch to deny healing to enemy combatants or finish off enemy runners.
    Coupled with Arcana, it will allow you to effectively shut down a healer if you know who he's healing. With WarCaster, even a failed Chill Touch Attack Roll will grant you a melee strike.

    If you Action Surge - you do not want anybody to recover from the damage you inflict in short notice. As an EK, you have the advantage of casting Chill Touch to deny healing on your chosen enemy while wacking away at them. Every turn.


    Mage Hand 3/5 Utility
    Taken for utiliy purposes only.
    Remember that we EKs do not need a spellbook. We commit our spells to memory.
    Should you find yourself captured or in a cell, Mage Hand will go a long way to secure your freedom. It also helps with putting on your armor for RP purposes.

    Minor Illusion 3/5 Utility
    Very handy to have around and you like being creative. Conjure up cover, conjure up a stash of gold to make you appear more rich to visitors. It has many RP and Combat uses.

    An alternative:
    About True Strike + WARCASTER
    This combo will almost always guarantee a hit. Take this to score the last hit on enemies that are almost gone.
    NOTE RAW states the bonus is valid on your next turn. Depending on your GM, this may severely limit use on the front line. Since my guide prepares you to stay alive, it emphasizes a good defense, which is reflected in the spells taken.

    UP NEXT Spell Selection, Grades I-IV

    Remember, these are my notes and the list is not final and up for debate.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    Let's take a look at spells now.

    Level 1

    Shield 5/5
    Shield (if a lot of enemies try to hit you, it is best to minimize their chances of hitting. Shield can be used as a reaction. Use it's huge AC modifier to stay alive).


    Damage:
    Magic Missile 3/5
    (A staple of damage and it allows no save. It is also highly dynamic meaning it scales well with your level. If you expect to be hit alot, save on uses.)

    Alternatives:
    Protection from Evil (Depending on the situation, a protection from Evil spell can be more efficient that a well-placed Shield. If in a pinch, use Shield. If prepared, use this.)

    Security:
    Alarm 3/5
    Cast over your sleeping area before going to bed, designate your party members as SAFE. Set alarm to loud and rest, knowing that very few rogues or assassins will cast dispel magic
    on your party camp before trying to sneak in.



    Level II Spells

    Combined with your Resistance to Weapons and your high Armor Class, you should be tough to take down in combat. You however lack utility spells.

    I found myself disappointed at the Abjuration and Evocation Spell list available for this level.


    Shatter 2/5
    is a good, low-to-med damage AoE Spell with a big boom(!) and utility factor for a Level 2 Slot.
    Remember that your goal is to survive. Remember it damages nonmagical nonworn, nonused items.
    You can RUIN an enemy army's day by casting this on their supply wagons.
    Also remember it is highly effective against some inorganics (Metal, Glass, etc.)

    Darkness 2/5
    is a solid choice. Used offensively, it can delay enemy spellcasters or monsters from closing in to fast. Used defensively, it is
    a last resort to get away. Do not use it on Warlocks, it can backfire quite brutally if they have the proper invocation.
    Use if attacked by an invisible creature to even the odds.


    Lvl 8 -- This level, you are free to choose a spell from any school. Here are Nightsteels (current) Top Picks

    Mystic Shift 4/5
    I am torn between Rope Trick and Mystic Shift.
    This gem of a spell will allow you a quick and dirty combat teleport of up to 30 feet. This is especially handy to bypass enemies guarding a caster.
    Combined with Improved Warcaster, this gives any caster a nasty surprise.
    Combined with Action Surge, it can be very effective at taking down Enemy Spellcasters at mid lvl range.
    I absolutly recommend this for battlefield mobility. Given that it is a 2nd level spell, you can always use it in a pinch if you are willing to sacrifice a higher spell slot for it.
    It is worth it if you absolutely need to ruin an enemy caster's day before something really bad happens to you.

    Mirror Image 4/5
    If you find yourself getting hit a lot or underquipped, choose this for survivability. It is an excellent spell, but given Blade Ward available as a cantrip and your considerable armor class, I would stock up on much needed mobility or utility.

    Rope Trick 4/5
    Rope trick is my personal favorite. It allows for a short rest.
    Which, for an Eldritch Knight, is enough rest to recharge both his SECOND WIND and ACTION RUSH abilities.
    Take this to take short rests anywhere, as the room created is very hard to spot.


    CONTENDERS
    Alter Self 2/5
    If you are heavy on RP and aquatic environments, you will enjoy Alter Self. It can also serve to weaponize yourself in a pinch, just in a case a sadistic DM robs the party of all riches and equipment. However, you have Bound Weapon. You are never without a weapon.

    See Invisibility 2/5
    Deserves an honorable mention, but is too situational to secure a firm slot in the build.


    Grade III

    Dispel Magic 4/5
    An effective abjuration spell to counter buffed up enemies (and INVISIBILITY!), you will want to save it until the hit the fan and you
    are absolutely sure to hit that invisible bastard prancing around you. Watch his face as you pummel it with your iron-clad, arcane fist.
    Even if it dispels enchantments on your person - you are still a badass fighter. Go punch 'em.

    Counterspell 5/5
    Counterspell is a true life saver. It can be used as a reaction, leaving the Eldritch Knight free to focus on his defense and attacking.
    Combined with a good(!) Arcana skill it is an effective tool to control enemy spellcasters.
    If you save your team from an enemy fireball, you have effectively prevented A LOT of damage - with a reaction.

    Lvl 15 Choose any spell from any wizard school.

    Fly 3/5
    This will allow you to dominate from above. If you are an Eldritch Archer, you might want to get this.
    It is probably replaceable by Mystic Shift for a Melee EK. You are now a heavily armored flying Eldritch Knight.

    Haste 4/5
    Haste will open up new types of absolutely devastating combinations.
    Use this if you wish to elevate your combat to the next level of Eldrich Knightness.
    You will benefit from it greatly. Apart from that, buffing other people with a hasty spell can prove devastatingly effective
    as well.

    Contender
    Vampiric Strike 2/5
    Available as a self-heal damage spell, it has low damage and a very low healing rate, but can be used for up to 1 minute straight.
    However, it does not synergize with the Extra Attack Ability. Take at your own risk. I have played around with it, but not find a viable
    stratagem worthy of an Eldritch knight.

    Leomund's Tiny Hut 3/5
    This is a gem. Long rest anywhere and be protected while doing it. However, this is best used by a Wizard - who regrettably has a lot
    more flexibility.

    Fireball 3/5
    Combined with Action Surge, you have a very scary Alpha Strike for your Plate-wearing Mage. Choose if you prefer absolutely flashy combat
    over survivability. This can clear rooms.
    USAGE Action Surge, Double Fireball. Do not forget your 2 bonus weapon strikes.

    4th Grade
    Banishment 3/5
    Do NOT use on things with high charisma. combined with EldritchStrike, chances are good you can take one big enemy creature out for 1 minute.
    USAGE Hit enemy once fo apply Arcane Strike. Then Cast. It effectively takes a potentially big danger out of the fight for one minute

    Polymorph self 4/5
    Initially not on the list, I have added polymorph self. Your Eldritch Knight heals himself, can shift into a creature to fight on, flee or do other useful things. It has great versatility for a iV-Level spell slot.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    Now, to the last section. Weapon and spell testing on the field.

    Level 1-6 Combos
    Prepare to play defensively for the first levels. Your goal is to stay alive and keep the party alive as well as you can.
    Once you gain WarCaster, your options will change.

    1) Use Blade Ward
    This is a very simple way to minimize incoming damage. You will need a big hp pool to survive spells and other damage.

    General Combat
    1) Use Action Surge and Extra Attack when you have the upper hand. Remember Action Surge allows you to fire off 2(!) Spells a turn.
    2) Use SECOND WIND when in doubt as your HP pool is low. Use Shield to stay alive and boost your AC.
    3) Use Shield when in doubt.

    If you are the tank, find a good, defensive spot. Gather your party behind you, cast Blade Ward every turn and don't you die on me, soldier.

    OFFENSE Cast SHIELD instead of Blade Ward (remember it's a reaction) and use your Fighter Skills to dish out the damage while being well protected.
    Remember to SECOND WIND and ACTION SURGE when the time is right.

    REMEMBER Magic Missile hits up to 3 TARGETS and does not need an attack roll.


    Level 1-15 Combos

    Lvl6+
    Blade Ward + Bonus Attack
    At this point, you will enjoy the benefits of Shield and being a magical Tank.

    On Shocking Grasp
    It is possible to kill 2 mobs a turn with shocking grasp - but as HP of Enemies increase, so does their damage.
    Stay alive, stay safe, soldier.


    Combos



    The Arcane Pummel

    Your Round. Declare Action Surge. Approach your target.

    Chill Touch Target (apply non-healing-status)
    + Melee Attack (If you hit and are Lvl15+, chances are you can get a very good nuke off as your enemy will suffer from disadvantage on his save)
    ACTION SURGE TIME!
    - Use your Action(s) to fire off a big damage spell or let loose with your very impressive fighter-attacks.

    FEATS
    Much has been said about Polearm and Reach and Attacks of Opportunity. You can go that route if you wish to maximize damage potential.
    I prefer to boost hitpoints and saves for extra staying power.


    If you made it this far - thank you for reading. Please do drop a short comment or suggestions and remember It's all a WIP.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    Personal Note: The original post had some nice answers with interesting ideas, so i'm adding those to this reposted guide.



    Reply 1 by Kurgag:
    Interesting guide, thank you for the imput.

    Melee EK is good for 3 things, IMHO

    - tanking you have dug into that
    - mobility It can get INSANE mobility with the three teleport spellsability available to him (misty step as a bonus action, dimension door as an action, Arcane charge as a free action when action surge)
    - AOE damage and AOE control no other fighter or melee class can do it as well as he does.

    To have a great build just optimize the three things mentioned above and remember that you can only have one concentration spell up at a time (so no need to take loads of concentration spells you have too few spell slots for that).



    Reply 2 by Kurgag:
    I'm not 100% sure how to get an EK into an AOE Fighter, but you're touching a good point there.


    Thoughts behind this build: The goal is to produce a very tanky fighter with a great mobility as well as decent AOE damage. At every level, I try to have a powerful and playable character. EK spells slots are scarce, I try to save them only for important and easy to use spells. The EK is a fighter at heart, spells are only here to boost his fighter abilities. I've played a lot of fightermages & crazy eldarin teleporters in previous edition so I have a pretty good idea of how the build works, but still this is subject to change once I will have played more.

    Eldritch Knight

    Race: Dragonborn

    Attributes STR 17 DEX 12 CON 14 INT 13 WIS 10 CHA 9

    Breath Weapon fire 15ft cone
    Resistance: Fire resistance
    Skills: Perception, Athletics, Intimidation, Survival
    Background: Soldier
    Weapon: Longsword or any d8 STR weapon
    Armor: Heavy + shield (except lvl 3)

    Progression
    lvl1 Defense Fighting Style, Second Wind, Breath Weapon 2d6 DC12
    lvl2 Action surge (1)
    lvl3 Blade Ward, Shocking Grasp, Shield, Identify, Thunderwave, Weapon Bond
    lvl4 Alarm + War Caster
    Lvl5 Extra Attack (1)
    lvl6 +1 STR +1 INT, Breath Weapon 3d6 DC13
    lvl7 Magic Missile, War Magic
    lvl8 Misty Step,+2 STR
    lvl9 Indomitable (1)
    lvl10 Acid Splash, Burning Hands, Eldritch Strike
    lvl11 Shatter, Extra Attack(2), Breath Weapon 4d6 DC14
    lvl12 Sentinel
    lvl13 Counterspell, Fireball (replacing ), Indomitable (3)
    lvl14 Haste, +2 CON, Dispel magic (replacing )
    lvl15 Remove Curse (replacing ), Arcane Charge
    lvl16 Non detection, +2 CON, Breath Weapon 5d6 DC17
    lvl17 Leomund's Tiny Hut
    lvl18 Improved War Magic
    lvl19 Fire Shield, Ice Storm (replacing ), +2 CON, Breath Weapon 5d6 DC19
    lvl20 Dimension door, extra Attack(3)

    How to manage Spells
    Cast as few spells as possible, do not waste your spell slots they are a very limited ressource, use your breath weapon and cantrips in priority.
    1st lvl spell slots are reserved for Shield in priority
    2nd lvl spell slots are reserved for Thunderwave and Misty Step
    3rd lvl spell slots are reserved for Haste in priority (and an occasional counterspell or a very occasionnal dispel or fireball)
    4th lvl spell slot is reserved for Fire Shield in priority (or an occasional Dimension door or Ice storm)
    If at the end of the day you have some spell slots left, just identifyalarmLeomund's tiny hut before you go to sleep.

    AC without any magic item
    lvl 1 Chain mail + Defense + shield = 19
    lvl 3 Chain mail + Defense + shield (+Shield spell) = 19 (24)
    lvl 4 Splint + Defense + shield (+Shield spell) = 20 (25)
    lvl 8 Plate + Defense + shield (+Shield spell) = 21 (26)
    lvl 14 Plate + Defense + shield + Haste (+Shield spell) = 23 (28)

    How to manage your OA
    If the target of your OA is wearing armor use Shocking Grasp. You will have advantage on your roll, if you succeed your target won't be able to use his reaction on your mates who won't have to disengage to flee from it + its speed will drop 0 (at lvl 12 only)
    If the target of your OA is not wearing armor use a standard attack.

    How to manage your HP
    Do not ask for heals until your HP are low, you have many ways to mitigate damage and you are difiicult to hit, so let the DM (or force him by good positioning and good use of thunderwave) spend his attacks on you.

    Examples of Combos
    Ah...Ah...Ah...Ah...Staying Alive, Staying Alive
    Lvl3 Move + Blade Ward + Action surge + Dodge + Shield + Second Wind (+ Arcane Charge lvl15)

    AOE damage 1 Spell slot - 3+ targets
    lvl3 Move + Thunderwave + Action surge + Breath Weapon Attack (+ Haste Attack lvl14) (+ Arcane Charge lvl15) (+war magic lvl18)

    AOE damage 0 Spell slot - 2 targets - You debuff your target before attacking them with acid splash.
    lvl10 Extra Attack + Action surge + Acid Splash + War magic (+ Haste Attack lvl14) (+ Arcane Charge lvl15)

    Teleport combo when you need to run Forrest run
    Lvl8 Move + Action + Action surge + Misty step + Dimension doorAction (+ Haste Attack lvl14) (+ Arcane Charge lvl15)

    Party synergies
    You work wonders with ranged classes with AOE andor lasting AOE zones (to experience thunderwave goodness).
    Ranger Hunter, Warlocks, Light Cleric, Wizards, Sorcerers, ranged EK, Valor Bards are great companions.
    Do not forget you have fire resistance, so do not hesitate to call for fireallburning handswall of fire when you run into big packs of monsters.



    Reply 3 by Kurgag:
    Bound Weapons:
    Useful feature which also frees up some carrying capacity.
    You can sheath a weapon as your free item interaction, cast a spell, then summon your weapon as a bonus action. Or you could draw a dagger, throw it, then summon it back. thank rmn498 for this

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brazil

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    Isn't much of this guide already outdated? Are there no plans for re-editing?

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    multiple problems here, but i'll address the most objective ones first...

    Action Surge:
    Recharges on a short rest. Use wisely to get out of tight spots, finish off enemies or double-and-triple cast. Potentially very powerful for Eldritch Knights, as it allows for the casting of multiple spells per round.
    NOTE: Remember it allows you to cast multiple spells a turn. You are an Eldritch knight, so get dirty. This allows you to barrage, if you choose, up to 2 Fireballs in a round at Lvl 13, a devastating alpha strike. This is awesome burst damage. Oh, and you get 2 melee strikes as bonus weapon strikes as well, if that isn't good enough.
    red added for emphasis on the error; as we all know, this isn't how action surge works. Characters get one bonus action per turn, and action surge doesn't give you another; it gives you an extra action on top of your normal one action and one bonus action.

    Use Chill Touch to deny healing to enemy combatants or finish off enemy runners.
    Coupled with Arcana, it will allow you to effectively shut down a healer if you know who he's healing. With WarCaster, even a failed Chill Touch Attack Roll will grant you a melee strike.
    Clearly he neglects the fact that chill touch is a ranged attack. Very rarely is making a ranged attack within melee a better plan than just swinging twice.

    The third issue is that whoever made this guide repeatedly refers to "war magic" as "war caster", making their guide needlessly difficult to interpret. You can get that they refer to war magic via context, but it's jarring to the mind to have to replace words for them.
    Last edited by Foxhound438; 2016-04-25 at 10:47 PM.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show


    I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

    "What are you smiling about?" it says

    "hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

    the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

    "Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

    *barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*


  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Klorox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    I remember referencing this on WotC. I'm glad it was copied.

    Since the OP isn't here, perhaps I'll update/reformat one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbownaga View Post
    I swear, 1 handed quarterstaves are 5e's spiked chain.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    it looks like this came out before scag.

    I want to know how booming blade and greenflame blade works with that warmagic ability.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    Quote Originally Posted by krunchyfrogg View Post
    it looks like this came out before scag.

    I want to know how booming blade and greenflame blade works with that warmagic ability.
    It works rather well.

    Excluding feats, buffs and magic weapons, a melee cantrip + War Magic pretty much stays in line with the Attack action, even outperforming at some levels. This means you can get EK to 7 for solid at-will DPR with some magic flavour, then skip over to something like wizard, sorcerer or warlock for more spell power. The cantrip scaling of BB and/or GFB will keep you competitive with a straight fighter.

    But the attack action does tend to scale better with feats and magic weapons for a straight EK, so then you get a situational DPR boost from GFB's cleave effect, or trade a little DPR for some control with BB. How valuable it is depends on build.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    Quote Originally Posted by famousringo View Post
    It works rather well.

    Excluding feats, buffs and magic weapons, a melee cantrip + War Magic pretty much stays in line with the Attack action, even outperforming at some levels. This means you can get EK to 7 for solid at-will DPR with some magic flavour, then skip over to something like wizard, sorcerer or warlock for more spell power. The cantrip scaling of BB and/or GFB will keep you competitive with a straight fighter.

    But the attack action does tend to scale better with feats and magic weapons for a straight EK, so then you get a situational DPR boost from GFB's cleave effect, or trade a little DPR for some control with BB. How valuable it is depends on build.
    But you can take the attack action and then get another attack through booming blade, right?

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brazil

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    Quote Originally Posted by krunchyfrogg View Post
    But you can take the attack action and then get another attack through booming blade, right?
    If you have War Magic, you cast cantrip then make one attack as a bonus. Without it, you have to choose.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    Well, this is a nice thing to pop back up.

    Now that we have scag cantrips, EK7/WIZ(x) is in fact a more attractive build. For a pure EK, however, 3 attacks generally end up outperforming war magic, especially with feats or other bonus action options. Granted, there's a great 4 level stretch where it's a decent value pick to cantrip -> bonus action hit when you just want to have a solid resource-free attack sequence.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show


    I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

    "What are you smiling about?" it says

    "hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

    the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

    "Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

    *barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*


  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ziegander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pabrygg Keep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    There's a ton of errors in this guide, not just in the naming of abilities, but in the complete misunderstanding of how spells and abilities even work.

    "1) Use Blade Ward" - , or, just... don't.

    "Mystic Shift 4/5
    I am torn between Rope Trick and Mystic Shift."

    -- I had no idea what they were even talking about for several minutes. Then I realized they meant MISTY. STEP.

    "Dispel Magic 4/5
    Even if it dispels enchantments on your person - you are still a badass fighter. Go punch 'em."

    -- What are you even talking about? The advice for using this spell is just... baseless. It's like they never even read the spell. The spell doesn't require an attack roll, it can't be used against a prancing, invisible caster, and it can't ever dispel anything of your person (unless for some reason you choose to dispel yourself instead of the enemy). I am forced to repeat myself, but, what are you even talking about?
    Homebrew


    Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    Really, anyone reading this thread should go over to Bellator Arcana: The Eldritch Knight's guide instead.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel

    Quote Originally Posted by Tymmofar View Post
    Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel
    As originally published by Chameleon-X on the Wizards of the Coast message boards

    Personal Note: Since the guide was saved as a notepad file, all the color ratings are now lost. I could try to give the features ratings but that would probably alter the original guide so i'll just leave it as it is for now.


    This is a work in progress - but open for discussion.

    Stratagem Eldrica a treatise on magical tanking

    by NightSteel, Eldritch Knight

    Bullhorne Knight by Cheshfire on Deviantart

    Hail, fellow Eldricht Knight!

    Clad in armor and wielding mighty weapons while also adept at casting spells, we hail from a most elite cadre of fighters.
    As equally dedicated to the art of war as to the art of magic, schooled in abjuration and evocation, we are as adept at blasting and pummeling our opposition as we are as shielding ourselves and, to a lesser extent, our allies on any given battlefield.

    Epitomes of battlefield prowess and arcane might, we are the Eldritch Knights. We wield steel - and we wield magic.

    Feast on a beer, some wine, or if all else fails, some water and be sure to examine my treatise in all detail.


    Stat Priority from Highest to lowest:
    CON & STR (15 required for heaviest armor) & INT
    You are front-line. More hitpoints will let you live longer.
    While INT is not generally required for this build to shine, there are some situations in which you will want a high int score to get the most out of the Arcana Skill and dispel checks for enemy spells.

    CHA>WIS>DEX

    NOTE I personally favor Charisma because of the added RP options and skills it allows. I like playing a charming, bad-ass magical knight. If you wish to min-max, go with DEX and WIS to aid you with saving throws.


    Fighting Style:

    Defense
    You will expect to be in melee alot. Choose Defense for the +1 AC (it WILL save your ass).
    Or Great Weapon Fighting if you favor a melee-heavy build.
    NOTE: There seems to be some discussion over the viability of Defense over others. In my opinion, getting less hit is what you want. If you die - the party will feel the hurt much more.
    Search around - there is math available on the viability.
    Update #1 Especiall at lower levels, the inherent +1 AC has saved my fighter's butt a couple of times.


    Great Weapon Fighting & Dual Wield:
    While you can theoretically dish out large numbers with a Great Weapon, I found that the reroll, while handy, does not substitute for the added resiliency of Defensive Style.


    Second Wind:
    Use second wind when around 70-80% of your total hitpoints when solo or when you reach 40HP. If your party is alright with short-resting alot, prepare for synergy with the damage-lowering cantrip used in the build. If you are at low levels, use it to survive.
    If you have a healer, coordinate with himher for best timing.
    Update #1 Second Wind is always handy to have. I use it liberally at lower levels, as the amount of HP gained is very noticeable.

    Action Surge:
    Recharges on a short rest. Use wisely to get out of tight spots, finish off enemies or double-and-triple cast. Potentially very powerful for Eldritch Knights, as it allows for the casting of multiple spells per round.
    NOTE: Remember it allows you to cast multiple spells a turn. You are an Eldritch knight, so get dirty. This allows you to barrage, if you choose, up to 2 Fireballs in a round at Lvl 13, a devastating alpha strike. This is awesome burst damage. Oh, and you get 2 melee strikes as bonus weapon strikes as well, if that isn't good enough.

    Cantrips:
    Eldritch Knights must make full synergy of their war-caster feats in battle. My selection of Cantrips synergizes well with staying alive.

    Bound Weapons:
    Useful feature which also frees up some carrying capacity.

    WarMagic:
    With this, your cantrips become viable always-on buffs. Select Cantrips that will be useful to you from Levels 3-20. Arcane Archers, remember that a bow is a weapon.

    EldritchStrike:
    Very good to set up big-hitting debuffs or spell attacks.

    Arcane Charge:
    Useful as combat teleport with Action Surge. Allows for 30ft of good mobility and a good offensive combo.

    Improved War Magic:
    Useful to keep up your damage output. Probably useful if in a Combo with True Strike and Melee feats.



    Cantrips
    1) Blade Ward 5/5
    This will make you very very durable.
    It simple to use. Is the Ogre you are facing wielding a big ass club
    Surrounded by enemies armed with nasty spears Would you rather take 12 of that damage
    Many enemies use weapons. Selecting Blade ward will halve that damage and allow you to strike back.
    With War Magic
    Cast Blade Ward and Attack. Together with your high AC (you took that plate mail and the defense feature, right comrade) it will allow you to halve
    damage in big weapon fights while allowing you to put the smack-down in return.

    This will allow you to survive prolonged fights and it is a good strategy when out of spells, as you never run out of cantrips that way.
    It is also a very good strategy to survive swarming or hordes of arrow coming your way.

    USAGE Use when tanking or facing a very tough monster. Better to be safe than sorry.


    2) Chill Touch Don't let it heal him! 3/5
    While initially appearing a weak choice, I prefer Chill Touch because of
    a) It is a never-ending ranged attack that scales AND has good utility,
    b) it denies healing
    c) Undead enemies suffer disadvantage when attacking you

    Use Chill Touch to deny healing to enemy combatants or finish off enemy runners.
    Coupled with Arcana, it will allow you to effectively shut down a healer if you know who he's healing. With WarCaster, even a failed Chill Touch Attack Roll will grant you a melee strike.

    If you Action Surge - you do not want anybody to recover from the damage you inflict in short notice. As an EK, you have the advantage of casting Chill Touch to deny healing on your chosen enemy while wacking away at them. Every turn.


    Mage Hand 3/5 Utility
    Taken for utiliy purposes only.
    Remember that we EKs do not need a spellbook. We commit our spells to memory.
    Should you find yourself captured or in a cell, Mage Hand will go a long way to secure your freedom. It also helps with putting on your armor for RP purposes.

    Minor Illusion 3/5 Utility
    Very handy to have around and you like being creative. Conjure up cover, conjure up a stash of gold to make you appear more rich to visitors. It has many RP and Combat uses.

    An alternative:
    About True Strike + WARCASTER
    This combo will almost always guarantee a hit. Take this to score the last hit on enemies that are almost gone.
    NOTE RAW states the bonus is valid on your next turn. Depending on your GM, this may severely limit use on the front line. Since my guide prepares you to stay alive, it emphasizes a good defense, which is reflected in the spells taken.

    UP NEXT Spell Selection, Grades I-IV

    Remember, these are my notes and the list is not final and up for debate.

    You suggested blade ward.


    Why? its a complete waste of an action and if youre not dishing out damage, the target is still alive to deal more damage to everyone else.

    Rides into my next point, +1 ac helps with taking less damage, but if youre playing a fighter with attacks and still able to wear plate, dealing damage is the best form of not taking damage.

    I did not agree with most stuff on this 'guide'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •