New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default My issue with Adventurer's League

This is going to be a bit of a rant.

So the season 6 guides are out.
    http://dndadventurersleague.org/tale...portal-guides/

Two of the changes they made bug the hell out of me.

1) Copying spells into a spellbook now requires Downtime days. Meaning for x days in game my character can't do anything but copy spells for 8 hours per downtime day spent. This means I either drag the party with me, or my character does nothing for however many in game days I decide to copy spells from a scroll of spellbook while everyone else kills monsters. Whereas I prior to the changes could spend my short rests or x hours before sleeping making progress on copying spells without needing to halt the party's progress in a campaign. This means either I do a whole lot of nothing during a session when I want to copy spells mid-campaign, or I'm forced to play another character because I want to use a feature that seperates wizards from other spellcasters.

2) Clerics can now only choose domains based on suggested ones for their deities, or life domain. Meaning my war domain cleric of Kelemvor, a level 8 character, is no longer AL legal. This in particular hurts given the amount of DM experience and rewards I've given to that particular character. It also means no one can play a cleric of Kelemvor (with the exception of life domain clerics) because the death domain isn't AL legal, something which I would think crosses a line as it restrict people from making creative characters, such as a human knowledge domain cleric of Tempus, which could be justified as a character that studied war in all its aspects and prays to Tempus for knowledge of battle and tactics.

This was mainly posted so I can vent my anger and throw it into the void of the internet, but I would like to hear others opinions on these and other changes for this AL season.
    Last edited by Draco4472; 2017-03-26 at 09:41 PM.
    Spoiler: My Favorite PC's
    Show
    Malik Hammerson-VHuman- Ranger (Hunter) 4/Cleric (War) 4: "MY LIFE SUCKS!"
    Valicus Pyr'Ticosta-High Elf-Wizard (Bladesinger) 9: "You killed my father! And Sister! And a few of my guards! Prepare to die!"
    Zarkelthore Surfacekin-Half Drow-Ranger (Hunter) 6: "What's a Sun? Why are you laughing?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: My issue with Adventurer's League

Honestly, Adventure League really isn't how D&D is meant to be played in my opinion. I agree with your complaints completely, but those sort of arbitrary, fun-killing restrictions are what AL is all about.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Panda View Post
    Honestly, Adventure League really isn't how D&D is meant to be played in my opinion. I agree with your complaints completely, but those sort of arbitrary, fun-killing restrictions are what AL is all about.
    My main complaint is restricting justifying a creative and unusual cleric. Though part of that anger stems from a year old character of mine being flushed down the drain for AL play. It now means clerics of Kelemvor can only be life domain, despite how war domain can be supported as a cleric chosen by Kelemvor to fight undead.
    Spoiler: My Favorite PC's
    Show
    Malik Hammerson-VHuman- Ranger (Hunter) 4/Cleric (War) 4: "MY LIFE SUCKS!"
    Valicus Pyr'Ticosta-High Elf-Wizard (Bladesinger) 9: "You killed my father! And Sister! And a few of my guards! Prepare to die!"
    Zarkelthore Surfacekin-Half Drow-Ranger (Hunter) 6: "What's a Sun? Why are you laughing?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

My guess for the domain restrictions was to bring it in line with the old editions; deities could only grant power from certain spheres of magic. No idea if this is true - just rampant speculation.

As for the downtime requirement for wizard spells - I'm betting they didn't think of the campaigns. They were probably thinking of the modular AL Games, where all downtime is done off screen. Hopefully, they'll get enough complaints on this and change it soon.