New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Patron: The Sacred Tool

THE TOOL

Spoiler: What is a Sacred Tool?
    Show
    Sometimes, it's not the hero the legends are about, nor is it the villain. Sometimes the legends are about what the hero carries into battle, what the villain gains his power from. And some times it is these legends that give the items life. From sword and shield to armor and more, THE TOOL is exactly that, a tool with powers giving you strength to wield it.

Last edited by AeonsShadow; 2015-11-15 at 06:15 PM.
    (ノส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)ノ LASERS

The Sacred Tools

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Patron: The Sacred Tool

Quote Originally Posted by AeonsShadow View Post
    THE TOOL

Spoiler: What is a Sacred Tool?
    Show
    Sometimes, it's not the hero the legends are about, nor is it the villain. Sometimes the legends are about what the hero carries into battle, what the villain gains his power from. And some times it is these legends that give the items life. From sword and shield to armor and more, THE TOOL is exactly that, a tool with powers giving you strength to wield it.

Spoiler: Patrons
    Show
    This list will be added onto shortly,
    can you explain this in layman terms please? is this thing a warlock patron or class or crafting subsystem that lets you poke the poodle? what is this thing explan

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, it's labeled 'Patron', so do the math.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    can you explain this in layman terms please? is this thing a warlock patron or class or crafting subsystem that lets you poke the poodle? what is this thing explan
    It's going to be a patron list that is based, rather than around demons, fey or gods, is based around magical mythical Items from legends and lore that will increase in usefulness with your level and grant you various boons. the first patron I am working on is Pandora's Box, and after that I will do Gleipnir (google it) and I will take requests after.
    (ノส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)ノ LASERS

The Sacred Tools

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

If you taking requests can you make me a gauntlet that gives warlock increased damage to 2d10 so I can use it in my prc for warlock

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    If you taking requests can you make me a gauntlet that gives warlock increased damage to 2d10 so I can use it in my prc for warlock
    I'm taking requests for specific famous Mythical items. The ONLY famous gauntlets I can find are Járngreipr which were required to hold Mjolnir and I doubt those would increase damage like that. Why not see if your DM will allow you to bring the warlocks gauntlets over from 3e.
    Last edited by AeonsShadow; 2015-11-16 at 07:30 AM.

The Sacred Tools

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by brian333
    Gorgoneon

This legendary shield was lent several times to heroes of the mortal realms, being constructed of the shield of Athena, (born with her intact from the cracked skull of Zeus,) and the severed head of Medusa. Its very presence among the enemy ranks has routed armies, and when uncovered and wielded in battle its horrific appearance has turned many an unwary foe to stone. S/he who bears the Gorgoneon in battle is by this token demonstrated to have the favor of Athena.

He who attempts to bear the shield without Athena's protection will be bitten by numerous poison snakes which flail outward from the shield's centerpiece. With Athena's protection 1d6/round of these snakes will bite a foe within 1' of the shield's face (rather than the bearer) for 1d6/2d6 primary and secondary STR damage, at DC 14. Each snake attacks as a 6 hit die monster, inflicting incidental damage, and while the heads can be severed if struck for more than one hit point of damage, (AC 15,) there are as many snakes as strands of hair on a human head to replace any which are lost.

Anyone, even if Athena's protection is granted, will be turned to stone if s/he is caught in the gaze of the horrid female face which adorns the center of this shield. Anyone making an attack against the shield bearer must succeed in a DC 15 Fortitude save every round in which they attack without averting their eyes, (fighting blind.) As a move-equivalent action the bearer of the shield can cover the shield, thus protecting his allies from the shield's power. This cover, which also binds the snakes wreathed around the face of the medusa, can be removed as a free action by the bearer.

Typically, a favored warrior will be one who faces impossible odds on a quest which furthers Athena's cause on the mortal plane. Although the goddess usually retrieves the shield at the end of the hero's quest, on occasion it is left in the custody of a particularly favored hero until his death before the goddess retrieves the hero and the shield, whereupon the hero acts as Athena's shield-bearer in the afterlife until the shield is required again in the mortal realm.
    As I understand this concept, it is the item rather than the person who is legendary, and while the person may do great deeds her/his fame is linked to the item rather than the heroic deeds s/he has performed. Items such as the Staff of Magius from Dragonlance or the various body parts of Vecna from 1st ed. AD&D comes to mind. Please correct my submission to reflect your actual intent if my attempt missed the mark.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    As I understand this concept, it is the item rather than the person who is legendary, and while the person may do great deeds her/his fame is linked to the item rather than the heroic deeds s/he has performed. Items such as the Staff of Magius from Dragonlance or the various body parts of Vecna from 1st ed. AD&D comes to mind. Please correct my submission to reflect your actual intent if my attempt missed the mark.
    No you got it on the mark pretty much. Basically rather than an outsider or all powerful Gray-lord Fae, it's the magic item that has granted you your access warlock powers, and as you grow stronger so does the Tool. (Symbiotic Relationships FTW!)

the Gorgoneon might make a good one~ I'll do that one later this week after Gleipnir, the silken rope that held Fenrir to the base of the world until Ragnarok.

The Sacred Tools

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AeonsShadow View Post
    No you got it on the mark pretty much. Basically rather than an outsider or all powerful Gray-lord Fae, it's the magic item that has granted you your access warlock powers, and as you grow stronger so does the Tool. (Symbiotic Relationships FTW!)

the Gorgoneon might make a good one~ I'll do that one later this week after Gleipnir, the silken rope that held Fenrir to the base of the world until Ragnarok.
    there are also excalibur, Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi, durendal, from islam zulfiqar aka many macguffinto turn into patrons

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

biggrin Re: Patron: The Sacred Tool

I was avoiding blades at first if only so I didn't have to deal with obvious blade lock issues. but I will work on them soon enough ^^

The Sacred Tools