New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: OOTS #1012 - The Discussion Thread

Yeah, the more I think about it, the confusing part is Roy assuming they've won. I don't know why he doesn't realize that not all the votes have been tallied. To busy trying to get Durkula I guess. :)
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

I was confused at first too but to be fair I'm in a rush. I wonder if the party will be split again for a good chunk of this book?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Schemer View Post
    That's my guess, too.

Though, based on his expression, he wasn't expecting to land in a room full of creatures not affected by Dominate Person. Though I am not sure what any of them can do to him other than raise the alarm.
    A spell less vampire is still a formidable foe; 4 animals are not going to get very far, even if one is the redoubtable Mr. Scruffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Syncrogti View Post
    Is the dwarf on the airship one that Durkula vamped?
    Yes, per word of Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist Corps View Post
    Who's that seventh dwarf priest among the demigod priests? The blue robes and crown symbol seem very suspicious...
    Also, the High priests of Banjo and the Dark One still haven't voted on this.
    The Dark One is in his own pantheon and will never vote. Banjo explicitly refused to join this pantheon and will never vote unless something happened off-screen to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Seven new priests walk into the room; six of them have voted so far. Three Yes's, Three No's. The vote is therefore currently tied.

But the seventh priest—the dwarf in blue robes in panel #1—has not voted yet. Durkon specifically says that there is one more vote left to cast. Why did the seventh priest not vote yet? Because Hel and Hermod had a little conversation instead, and then the comic cut away to another scene.

Hel is upset because if Hermod had voted her way, that would have made the count 4-2, and it would not have mattered how the last priest voted at all—she would have already won.

The dwarf vampire is former Exarch of the Creed of the Stone, Gontor Hammerfell, last seen being bitten on the neck by a vampire (as is often the case before becoming a vampire). He is not the same dwarf as the dwarf in panel #1; Gontor does not have a vote.

Durkon sped up the vampirization process off-camera using the spell Malack used to speed up Durkon's own vampirization, because Durkon owns Malack's staff.

Are there any other questions about what is going on in this strip? I'm thinking I must have done a really bad job on this one if everyone is so confused.
    Yeah, can you issue a definitive statement on the question of whether or not Banjo is considered a demigod of this pantheon?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
    Yeah, the more I think about it, the confusing part is Roy assuming they've won. I don't know why he doesn't realize that not all the votes have been tallied. To busy trying to get Durkula I guess. :)
    Roy was not listening to the votes. He was trying to get into the Anti-Life Shell. He was reacting solely to the bad guy yelling, "DAMN YOU!" and thinking that it sounded like the vote went his way.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's not that confusing considering Hel's reaction to Hermod changing their vote.

6. - Top - End - #96

PirateGirl

I'm guessing the last cleric is the high priest of Forseti, demi-god of councils and gatherings?

edit: His name is literally the icelandic word for President.
    Last edited by Aasimar; 2015-11-16 at 11:12 AM.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kildaren View Post
    Okay, what happens if one of Hel's proxys attacks the high priest of Banjo, which then survives and shows up to save the day? Would that not make Hel's cronys instant legitimate targets for the rest of the crowd?
    Probably. Good thing that Banjo has no high priest, then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist Corps View Post
    Also, the High priests of Banjo and the Dark One still haven't voted on this.
    Ya know what? Fine. Let's ignore that, in all likelihood, they don't really get to vote. Let's say they do get to vote. The Dark One would probably vote no, and Banjo would probably vote yes. So absolutely nothing would change. Problem solved, and we can move on from that
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #98

Seven new priests walk into the room; six of them have voted so far. Three Yes's, Three No's. The vote is therefore currently tied.

But the seventh priest—the dwarf in blue robes in panel #1—has not voted yet. Durkon specifically says that there is one more vote left to cast. Why did the seventh priest not vote yet? Because Hel and Hermod had a little conversation instead, and then the comic cut away to another scene.

Hel is upset because if Hermod had voted her way, that would have made the count 4-2, and it would not have mattered how the last priest voted at all—she would have already won.

The dwarf vampire is former Exarch of the Creed of the Stone, Gontor Hammerfell, last seen being bitten on the neck by a vampire (as is often the case before becoming a vampire). He is not the same dwarf as the dwarf in panel #1; Gontor does not have a vote.

Durkon sped up the vampirization process off-camera using the spell Malack used to speed up Durkon's own vampirization, because Durkon owns Malack's staff.

Are there any other questions about what is going on in this strip? I'm thinking I must have done a really bad job on this one if everyone is so confused.
    That was pretty clear, I think. Counting the votes isn't that hard. I just had to go back and check that it was the Creed of Stone priest appearing as a new vampire, and sure, here he is, same guy. And of course "Durkon" used Malak's staff, until he lost it in the fight with Roy later.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I'm curious to see how things play out with the 7th demigod, Crown Royal.

If Hel was planning on a 4-3, she's kind of stuck (which leads to contingency plans). But I get the impression that she's been playing the game long enough (and learned a thing or two from daddy) to go in with a 5-2 split, as insurance in case there were any problems getting everyone in, or if someone might defect.

It would be interesting to see if he's a lock vote, or, depending on which demigod he represents, if he's going to try and leverage his vote for favors.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Question Re: OOTS #1012 - The Discussion Thread

I don't understand the relation between Gontor and "the backup plan". If he is not eligible to vote, then how can he takes a role in this? I don' t understand what might come next.
    Feel, don't think. Use your instincts.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I like that Haley is cheating at Monopoly even with Elan.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

I admit that I totally missed that there was one more cleric that hasn't voted. Hel and Hermod's talk seemed like such a "final" thing that I didn't notice only six new voted had been cast. When HPoH talked about one more vote, I thought Gontor was going to aquire it, or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Probably. Good thing that Banjo has no high priest, then.

Ya know what? Fine. Let's ignore that, in all likelihood, they don't really get to vote. Let's say they do get to vote. The Dark One would probably vote no, and Banjo would probably vote yes. So absolutely nothing would change. Problem solved, and we can move on from that
    The idea was more that with a "bodyguard" from Hel attacking other high priests (ok, Elan is not really a cleric, but still), Durkula would be in violation of the godsmoot - and would become a legitimate target, which upon his demise would render Hel's vote void

14. - Top - End - #104

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    I worked all that out from the comic. So I don't see why anybody should get confused by it.
    For my own part, it was Roy taunting Durkula that Hel had lost. If it's still a draw because the seventh priest hasn't voted then Hel hasn't lost, so Roy's taunt in panel 13 is out of place.

15. - Top - End - #105

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AlignmentDebate View Post
    I like that Haley is cheating at Monopoly even with Elan.
    Au contraire; Monopoly has more house rules even than 3.5 D&D. Money under Free Parking, don't go to jail on 3 doubles in a row, ...
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coldwind View Post
    I don't understand the relation between Gontor and "the backup plan". If he is not eligible to vote, then how can he takes a role in this? I don' t understand what might come next.
    Backup plan meaning if the voting plan failed
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

17. - Top - End - #107

PaladinGuy

My guess is:

Spoiler
    Show
    Durkula either expects to lose the vote, or genuinely doesn't know. Hel's reaction suggests that she knows the last vote isn't going her way;

The new vampire is there to steal the teleport orb by stealth, as even Haley and Elan could probably take a single vampire cleric with its higher level spells depleted (Haley holds a weapon rather well suited for at least temporarily neutralizing a vampire, for one thing). V would probably be neutralized by the fiends if V tried to interefere, as they seem to want the gates destroyed for their own reasons. The "backup plan" is probably to make sure the last gate is destroyed by any means necessary, letting the Snarl out and forcing the gods to destroy the world and let Hel thereby win.
    Last edited by eilandesq; 2015-11-16 at 11:23 AM. Reason: minor correction

18. - Top - End - #108

PirateWench

I guess the most important question is, are Elan and Haley playing strip Monopoly? :D
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

wow, this was a fantastic comic to wake up to. amazing job, as usual. I was wondering when the stone creed cleric would come back. I also love the traffic light metaphors, really digging this whole thing

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I wasn't expecting this. Mentioning the plan B means our demigod of crowns (who I'll call Crowny) is more likely go vote no than yes. For one reason:

If Crowny voted yes, then there is no point to mentioning plan B and then not having it happen. Although I cannot read the Giant's mind, if plan B never comes up the words mentioning it are useless, and possibly Vamptor appearing as well.

I'm hooked, but not on what the outcome of the vote will be, because I'm convinced that the Giant will find some way to continue the story even if the world will be, but on what plan B will be (Durkula/Hel is more competent than Mr Greenhilt, Roy would be on at least plan H now, probably plan Q).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

21. - Top - End - #111

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Well, I wasn't expecting this. Mentioning the plan B means our demigod of crowns (who I'll call Crowny) is more likely go vote no than yes. For one reason:
    Forseti is one of only a very few names in norse mythology that hasn't been namedropped so far, and as the leader of councils and gatherings, I think a crown suits him pretty well.

edit: There are other options, Jörmungandur, Mímir and a bunch of others, but none of them fit as well.

edit 2: Most of the others are monsters or Jötuns, Forseti is the only one I can think of who's a regular member of the Æsir gatherings.
    Last edited by Aasimar; 2015-11-16 at 11:29 AM.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

The biggest question is:
    Why does the demigod of youth not have a septal piercing and LOTS of makeup, aswell as a permanent duckface? I call it now; she is an imposter!
    Last edited by Zwiebelchen; 2015-11-16 at 11:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    A spell less vampire is still a formidable foe; 4 animals are not going to get very far, even if one is the redoubtable Mr. Scruffy.
    Yes, but 4 animals don't just enter combat without a lot of screeching and yelping. Unless he has mass hold person or dominates them all into not fighting, the other members of the ship are likely to hear.

...And Thor knew the last time a vampire boarded the ship... So there's that.

Edit: The only question I would have at this point is if the gods can in fact see inside the godsmoot, Hel leans in quite aggressively towards that last "no" High Priest and argues with Hermod through her, is it that she can see the representatives only?
    Last edited by AbyssStalker; 2015-11-16 at 11:39 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Seve Are there any other questions about what is going on in this strip? I'm thinking I must have done a really bad job on this one if everyone is so confused.
    The only problem is the time between strips, but that's just the way OOTS rolls. Once another reader pointed out to me the transfer of the staff to Durkon it all came together for me. I noticed that number of votes, and await the reveal on who that cleric is.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    Ok, my guess is that the backup plan involves somehow using Vamptor to blackmail/extort/influence the unnamed demigod (who would otherwise vote "No") into voting "Yes". If Hermod had voted "yes" here, that last vote wouldn't have mattered, which is why said extortion was the backup plan.
    This has got to be it.

so who is the final demigod and why do they care about something/someone on the Mechane? He's a dwarf, got blue robes, a yellow crown symbol on his hat, and a wand topped with a red orb. A dwarven god of... magic?

And not to turn all gushing fanboi but wow Mr Giant sir I love everything you do! This strip is not confusing to me at all.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Note the verb tense Roy uses: winning (as a work in progress, you are winning the game while it is ongoing, say scored 3-2 in the ninth inning) whereas if Roy thought the vote was "won" I think the verb tense would have been different.

I note that Giant has pointed out that Roy's taunt is as uninformed as Hel's was earlier, so at least he has the good guys and bad guys fall into that "talk too much smack before the battle is over" for different reasons.

As Roy is "Talky many who talks too much" it is perfect that he's talking crap before the result is in.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2015-11-16 at 11:38 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Come on crownhat bluedwarf's demigod, save the world!

Think of all the hats that will be destroyed if the world is ended!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Halfling in the Playground

I pressed the next button so many times that 1011 was burned into my mind lol.
    This is an interesting twist that I didn't expect. Hmm.
    I guess Hel will try and force the hands of the gods?
    The ice giant priest looked extra cool, and the fire giant priest looked cool too.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'm thinking I must have done a really bad job on this one if everyone is so confused.
    Not at all Rich, I for one thought it was fairly obvious.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I think that was all clear enough, even if it did take some careful reading and remembering back to a bit of recent history. I suspect that most of your readers are following along just fine. People who aren't confused about a strip won't post questions. And people who took a minute to re-read the strip or browse the archives for themselves are likely to miss posting in the first couple pages of the thread. What I'm saying is that it's a biased sample.
    Last edited by chainik; 2015-11-16 at 11:38 AM.