Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Let's play: Choice of Robots

Hello and welcome to this edition of Let's Play! Choice of Robots : By Kevin Gold.

Rules

Updates Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Votes in by 5:30 PM on each day.

Anyone can play, and cast a vote at any time. You may also leave at any time.

Cast all votes in red, to distinguish them from normal chatter. All votes called will be in blue

In the event of a tie, a 1d100 roll will be executed at random.org for each tying vote, highest roll wins.

Character Sheet
    Year: 2049

54-year-old Grace Tesla
    Humanity: 39% [Sometimes necessary to determine interactions with other human beings, or explaining humans to robots]
    Fame: 13 (Mentioned in history textbooks)
    Wealth: 9 (Wealthy)
    Romance: None/ formerly Married to Eiji [Note: All romantic options are available regardless of the gender you choose. So your character may be homosexual, bisexual, heterosexual, or robotophile, or all of the above].
    Education: Ph.D.

Arachne, Your robot

Autonomy: 8 (In Beta) [A measure of the robots ability to make decisions and act independently. Low-autonomy robots can't do as much, high-autonomy robots can become skynet].
    Military: 59 (Singular) [Capability of the robot to participate in combat]
    Empathy: 14 (Stable) [A measure of the robot's care for humans, ability to understand them, and also a measure of conscience].
    Grace: 22 (Good) [How skillful the robot is. A robot neurosurgeon requires high grace; a self-propelled forklift, not so much].

Construction Material: Metal
    Head: Venetian Mask
    Locomotion: Spider legs.

Power Balance
    East Asia:55
    US:45
    Estimated Alaskan Power: 40
    Total military power: 40+54 = 94.
    Achievements
    Shakespearean: Discussed Hamlet's age-old question with Arachne.
    Doctor: Earned your doctorate.
    Spouse : Got married
    Cleared: Got a top secret clearance.
    Florist: Made use of the language of flowers.
    Rebel: Led the Alaskan rebellion
    Founder: Started a new country.
    Filial: Bought mom a gift.
    Chipped: Got a chip in your head.
    Alive: Made it to the end without dying.

Decision Log

1) On a war-torn battle field with a robot statue of liberty.
    2) Don't worry, my robots will defend you.
    3,4) Grace Tesla, a female
    5) My apartment is filled with the tiny robot creatures I have made.
    6) Okay , sure (with becoming a robot -- comes right after 2).
    7) Why aren't these cars flying themselves?
    8) Metal. It is the most resistant to damage.
    9) A venetian mask for a head.
    10) 8 legs like an insect to travel on.
    11) Education is not grunt work.
    12) Eiji called us
    13) Arms -- Swiss army arms
    14) We need to test it first.
    15) We'll go on the date.
    16) Our robot's name is Arachne.
    17) We were in love with Josh.
    18- She, after her namesake
    20- Rhythm of normal social interaction
    21- Change the world
    22- Paper Moon
    23 - Romantically interested in Eiji
    24 - Create something beautiful
    25 - power off the phone.
    26 - squeeze hand
    27 - fool to give up love
    28 - pickle
    29 - kiss Eiji goodnight.
    30 - cellphone batteries.
    31 - In Arachne's arms for fine manipulation.
    32 - you brought lunch for me?
    33 - I just want Arachne to defend herself. ERROR.
    33 take two - what choice do I have?
    34 call off Arachne.
    35 call me by my first name
    36 teach Arachne words
    37 Autotuned notes
    38 Encrypted hard drive
    39 K-12 education.
    40 Less time on Ziegler's grants.
    41 That is a question you will have to decide for yourself.
    42 To the shooting range!
    43 Call back Mark to set up an interview.
    44 Guinness
    45 Interesting guy
    46 Equal of any human
    47 He provided some ideas during construction.
    48 An Interesting speculation you have there.
    49 Defending our nation from our enemies.
    50 You're welcome to interview Arachne
    51 We're infamous!
    52 Show arachne the article
    53 What is Eiji doing?
    54 Defend the nation from our enemies
    55 Sure
    56 Take the call from mom.
    57 hang up and speak to Glendale
    58 Sure, why not? [go on the show]
    59 I have a jazz concert.
    60 Call police /write and explain we mean no harm if that doesn't work.
    61 I'm sorry (Apologize to Prof. Ziegler)
    62 Shoot things
    63 Improve social graces
    64 Run out the back door
    65) To the concert as planned.
    66) I can't really help it if people write stories about me.
    67) To everything there is a season.
    68) I must work on technology that is better able to remove tumors like the one Dad had.
    69) Work for Josh
    70) First client is Galen medical.
    71) size of a hobbit.
    72) Machine learning tips?
    73) lower prices.
    74 ) Not cool Josh, don't do it again.
    75) Detroit, Michigan
    76) robots, ford tie
    robot - 43
    ford - 18

go with robot
    77) Fortified compound
    78) Finally I'm seeing success!
    79) Industrial robots set to Arachne's initial state.
    80) Spend more time with Eiji.
    81) Attempt to persuade the protestors
    82) Call the police.
    83) Sell our technology to whoever wants it.
    84) Buy a house, donate token amount to charity,
    go on cruise with Eiji and Arachne, and build Arachne the
    perfect body.
    85) Free the trapped robots from the fire.
    86) Rescue human supervisors
    87) We feel terrible. We knew each of them well.
    88) I'm afraid we have no significant wealth.
    89) Switch to Biodiesel.
    90) Propose.
    91) Ask pointed question
    92) What's the catch?
    93) Accept, begin clearance process.
    94) Fill out form.
    95) List Mark
    96) List Eiji
    97) Anxiety for Eiji.
    98) Can't look.
    99) Human-like robots.
    100) I know.
    101) Only once, in grad school.
    102) Call Juliet first, then go for the cryptic message.
    103) Medical robots.
    104) Hand the phone to Josh.
    105) Wars happen, the best we can do is defend our country.
    106) Convert to Canadian currency
    107) Start a revolution!
    108) Spend all the money save enough to live as a poor student again.
    109) Offer Josh exclusive contract
    110) Liberate Anchorage, the most lightly defended and populous city.
    111) Imprison Mark.
    112) Wage counterinsurgency against Anchorage insurgents.
    113) Assault Juneau.
    114) Accept a small group of Seals and marines.
    115) Analyze the new software.
    116) Our throne is a round table where our advisors sit as symbolic equals
    117) Attack Barrow.
    118) Imprison eiji.
    119) Order Arachne to extract Mom and bring her to Alaska for surgery.
    120) Arachne will fight on the front lines.
    121) Rule as a dictatorship
    122) Rule wisely
    123) the new country's name shall be Teslavania.
    124) We get mom a robot dog.
    125) "Good. You are a hypocrite and a charlatan."
    126) Replace the damaged part of the brain with a robot core.
    127) Pour water
    128) Put on "Shiny Things".
    129) "No, this is a part of your education, too. Remember that everyone you meet must face losing loved ones someday."

-----

COMPLETED.

Spoiler: Game Summary
    Show

Chapter 1

On the day you first built Arachne, you awoke from a dream about a robot Statue of Liberty to head to the lab. Your graduate school advisor pressured you to make Arachne more acceptable to the military. After some back and forth, you ended up making a metal eight-legged robot with a masked head and multitool hands.

You then went to a sushi place and a production of Pippin with Eiji, where you vowed to not let ambition get in the way of your relationships with other people. You both went back to your place afterward, kissed, and eagerly anticipated showing Eiji your robot the next day.

Chapter 2

The next day, you hooked up Arachne's cell phone batteries and demoed for Eiji. You then spent the afternoon teaching Arachne words at the Stanford Child Study Center.

As months passed, you became busy teaching Arachne about the world through high school textbooks and taking her to the range. Your funding from DARPA kept you in Professor Ziegler's good graces during this time.

In time, Mark Ali, a reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle, heard about Arachne and asked for an interview. You agreed.

Chapter 3

You gave Mark an interview, and allowed Mark to come back to your place to interview Arachne.

Mark wrote an article that was generally negative about you and Arachne. When Professor Ziegler found out about the article, he was very displeased, but decided that the most effective way to get you out of his hair was to let you graduate.

Mark's article also attracted the attention of one "robotObsession1987," known in real life as Silas Cooper. After threatening you with repercussions if you would not stop making robots, Silas sent a bomb to your apartment. You escaped the blast, but your apartment was consumed in the fire.

That Saturday, Eiji asked you to stay out of the limelight a little more often. You managed to smooth things over, but it felt like a dangerous point in your relationship.

A month or so later, you received your doctorate. Shortly thereafter, your father passed away. You resolved then to work on better medical technology that could save people like your father in the future.

You joined Josh at U.S. Robots as his chief scientist.

Chapter 4

Your first potential client for U.S. Robots was Galen Medical, a surgical equipment company. They were happy with the state of your technology, and gave you a contract that allowed you to purchase a factory. That allowed you to build a robot factory in Detroit. You decided to use your own robots for your workforce, but leave humans in supervisory roles. When you finally shipped robots to Galen Medical, they were pleased with the robots you delivered. Your business suffered a blow when EastAsian companies, aided by EastAsian government hackers, began to steal your technology. Your business was dealt a further blow when there was an explosion at your factory, caused by a bomb set by Silas.

You were visited by a politician, Jacqueline Irons, who asked for a campaign donation. Despite your unhelpfulness, Irons won the presidency. The newly elected President enacted a series of protectionist bills that ultimately made EastAsia angry, and they cut off the U.S. supply of rare earths. Meanwhile, you married the love of your life, Eiji.

The tensions between the United States and EastAsia came to a head with the assassination of the EastAsian Prime Minister in San Francisco. War followed shortly thereafter.

Chapter 5

Captain Rogers invited you to a military lab. There, you saw that Professor Ziegler was copying your work and passing it off as his own to the military. Captain Rogers asked you to join the country's war effort. You agreed. You were granted a Top Secret clearance.

An agent came to your place to try to get you to lure Eiji there, because he was suspected of being a spy. Eiji fled to Canada to escape the American agents. In the end, America lost the war, and the EastAsians took over Alaska. You swore to retake the state.

Chapter 6C

For five years, you waged a rebellion against EastAsia, ordering your robot soldiers from deep within an abandoned mine under Mount Hesperus. When Mark started reporting your troop movements, you had Arachne capture him. When Eiji got in your way, you captured him and threw him into prison.

The United States offered its support, but you declined.

Your robots successfully conquered Alaska. You renamed the place Teslavania and took over.

Chapter 7

In 2049, you went to Surprise, Arizona to surprise your mother with a gift for the holidays. You learned it was your surgical technology that had kept her alive this long. On returning to Detroit, you had a brief stroke, followed by a vision of a robot Statue of Liberty -- the same one you saw thirty years before. In the hospital, the doctor told you you had Algernon's Disease, a rare disease that increased your intelligence, but came at the price of increasing seizures, comas, and possibly, death.

You chose to replace the malfunctioning part of your brain with an artificial neural network. You survived the surgery, thanks to your own robot surgical technology. With that crisis behind you, you look forward to your new life as ruler of Teslavania.

- - - Updated - - -

First entry, and it's a quick one!

Vote 1 :

Where are you?

* In the court of the Egyptian god Anubis, answering for my sins.
    * On a war-torn battlefield, with a robotic Statue of Liberty.
    * On a cliff in Ireland, watching the sun set with a robot companion.
    * On a utopian beach ruled by a godlike cloud of robots.

So we're going to start off the story with a dream sequence. No doubt this will foreshadow the ending you are trying for, and possibly give you both hints and stat boosts to make it possible to achieve that ending.

So ... have your votes in by Wednesday, 5:30 PM, and let's see what happens!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2016-03-24 at 06:42 AM.
    "Opportunities to do good are everywhere but the darkness is where the light needs to be".

-- Eliezer Yudkowski, author of "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Let's play: Choice of Robots

Sounds like fun, I'll go for:
    * On a war-torn battlefield, with a robotic Statue of Liberty.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

- On a war-torn battlefield, with a robotic Statue of Liberty.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

- On a utopian beach ruled by a godlike cloud of robots.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2015-11-17 at 02:48 PM.
    Gold: the color of lawful neutrality.

Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

All right, we're on a war-torn battlefield with giant mecha statue of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Choice of Robots
    You stand in a blasted wasteland next to the Statue of Liberty—only she's a robot, with a glowing, red eye on the right side of her face. In places, her green patina has been blasted away to reveal the dull luster of copper underneath. She crouches before you, and her crackling torch casts shadows across her metal face and spiked crown as she looms closer. Far away, the sounds of bombs and gunfire echo from the mountains. You smell burning oil.

"I MADE YOU WHAT YOU ARE." Her voice is hollow, loud, and abrasive. "NOW DEFEND ME."

From far off, you can hear the howls of robotic wolves and the thundering feet of other robotic colossi.

Vote 2:
    * "Don't worry. My robots will defend you."
    * "You are mistaken. My robots are kind. They will not fight."
    * "You are mistaken. I have hated you all my life, and I will destroy you."
    * "My robots obey no one. I gave them free will to decide as they please."

Each choice will impact stats; either those of your robot or that of yourself. Also, the decisions will of course have impact later on in the game. However, all choices lead to a paragraph (which I will show next time) and then continues thusly:

Quote Originally Posted by Robots
    Some things are in our control and others not.

—Epictetus

Chapter 1: Assembly

You awaken with your head on a desktop keyboard. Your 3D drafting program is still open, the schematic zoomed in to the recess where your smartphone will snap into its back to act as its brain.

You recall fiddling with that part endlessly last night, until finally, your vision began to fade, there was a roaring in your ears, and you realized you had been working far, far too long. You must have passed out.

It's the fall of 2019. You're a twenty-four-year-old graduate student in the Ph.D. program in Computer Science at Stanford. And you're a…

Vote 3:
    * Guy
    *** Whose name is ...
    *** Alan
    *** Isaac
    *** Linus
    *** Decker
    *** Darwin
    *** Here, I'll type it for you [enter your own selection]
    * Girl
    *** Whose name is ...
    *** Susan
    *** Ada
    *** Grace
    *** Sophia
    *** Hypatia
    *** Marie
    *** Cynthia
    *** [Choose a female first name ]

and we now also have to choose a last name.

Vote 4: What is your last name?
    #Tesla.
    #Calvin.
    #Tezuka.
    #Goldberg.
    #!Kwane. The exclamation point is a click.
    #Nguyen.
    #Kim.
    #Doniec.
    #None of these is my last name. I'll type it.

So now that the identification is out of the way, there is another question...

You look around your apartment. What does it look like?

Vote 5:
    #My Battlebots trophy is perched on a widescreen TV equipped with the latest video game consoles.
    #Neatly labeled plastic shelving units sit on a 3D-printer-equipped robot workbench.
    #Busts of famous philosophers sit next to my own attempts to sculpt them.
    #My shelves display all of the strange little robotic creatures I've made over the years.

It strikes you for a moment that this kind of thinking about how your life affects
    your robots is second nature to you, though others might find it peculiar. You've always been
    fascinated by how every little detail of your life, from the content of your dreams to the decor
    of your room, changes the inputs to the robots you create—boosts their Empathy, or Autonomy,
    or Grace, or appeal to the Military. Surely, there are other things going on around you as a result of your decisions, but they don't immediately strike you in the
    same way.

Today, your robot is foremost on your mind because you're about to build its body.

You pick up your laptop and head for the Stanford machine shop.
    So: to recap, we have five votes. I normally like about two or three, but questions like names aren't something that I think we want to spend a two-day cycle on. There are occasions when we will have to do only one, because the choice will have a dramatic impact on the story's structure.

I'd also appreciate feedback on pacing. Too fast? Too slow? Just right?

At any rate, have your votes in by 5:30 PM , Eastern Time, Friday and the story will continue as we begin building our creation!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Opportunities to do good are everywhere but the darkness is where the light needs to be".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Choice 2: you are mistaken, my robots are kind, the will not fight
    Choice 3: girl, grace
    Choice 4: tesla
    Choice 5: my shelves display all of the strange little creatures I've made Over the years

If I've missed a word, I apologise, I'm doing it from a mobile which is a bit tricky

I find the pacing absolutely fine
    Last edited by Jon0113; 2015-11-19 at 08:54 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

'My robots will defend you' says the girl, Grace Tesla, whose shelves are full of small robotic creatures.

That should about cover it.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Vote 2: "Don't worry, my robots will defend you."

Vote 3 & 4: "Guy, Alan Tezuka"

Vote 5: "My Battlebots trophy is perched on a widescreen TV equipped with the latest video game consoles."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Vote 2: "Don't worry, my robots will defend you."

Vote 3 & 4: "Girl, Grace Tesla"

Vote 5: "My shelves display all of the strange little robotic creatures I've made over the years"
    Humanized version of my first avatar made linklele.

Declared God of Chance and Creativity as well as Equestria's Master of the d20.

Quote Originally Posted by backwaterj View Post
    Love for the d12! Dudeons wins the game!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Okay, we are Grace Tesla, we will help Dame Liberty defend herself, and our room is filled with the tiny creatures we have created.

Barely do we make these choices when another one is thrust at us! I guess the dream isn't quite over yet...

As you say this, you realize it is true: behind you is an army of flying drones, automated tanks, and metal men. This is the war for which you have always prepared. (+++Military)

"GOOD. BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE STILL WEAK FLESH. YOU MUST BECOME A ROBOT IF WE ARE TO SURVIVE."
    MILITARY: +3.
    Umm... how do we react to this?

Vote 6:
    * "I like robots, but that's a bit much. No."
    * "Okay, sure."
    * "How about if I just have a gun for an arm or something?"

Meanwhile, back in the real world we are looking at the strange creatures in our apartment...

You've always been fascinated with the idea of creating artificial life.
    You've got at least twenty such creations on your shelves, their construction materials a timeline of your life. The earliest is made of toothpicks and glue; the latest, a spider robot you made out of your old smartphone when your plan gave you a new one.

Your creations often confuse people who don't get that robots don't have to be for anything. When people pick up your three-legged, wall-climbing robot that sings when it detects encrypted wireless packets, they ask: what the heck is that for? And you reply: what's anything for? What are you for? Okay, maybe you don't say that, but you sometimes think it.
    AUTONOMY: +2.

It is a beautiful spring day in Palo Alto, California, and your apartment is only a short walk
    from the machine shop. But the streets of Palo Alto are not designed
    for walking; you find yourself climbing around palm trees and balancing on narrow curbs, as you
    do every day.

You hear a low roar overhead: glancing up, you see it's a flying car—a Nimbus. A little
    over three hundred thousand dollars can buy you a car with wings that fold out, so that it becomes
    a small sport plane. The red Nimbus looks sleek and sporty; it's the sort of car its owner takes religiously to the car wash. Though the commercials would have you believe you can fly
    anywhere you want in those cars, the FAA still requires them to take off and land from airports.

Only here in wealthy Silicon Valley do you see them with any frequency. The first time
    you saw one, you couldn't quite believe the future had arrived so quickly.

But the second time you saw one, you thought…

Vote 7:
    #I will own one of those one day. I swear it.
    #If I ever make that much money, I'll use it to help the world instead of buying that car.
    #Why aren't those flying cars driving themselves?

Now that the game has had a time to collect our thoughts on this miracle of the modern age, let us arrive at the shop!

The Stanford University fabrication shop smells like oil and burnt plastic.
    The room is dominated by large, metal, hand-cranked milling machines and lathes, dinosaurs of the twentieth century, while the most-used machines are the smaller 3D printers and computer-controlled water jet cutters that take a quarter of the space. The lights have the sterile fluorescence of an operating room, with only a single, tiny window near the ceiling to inform you that it is day.

You start up a National Public Radio podcast on your laptop. You haven't seen your advisor much since you joined the lab, so you choose the episode in which he's the interviewee.

"My guest today is Doctor Harvey Ziegler," says a woman with a soothing voice. "Doctor Ziegler, thank you for talking with us today."

"Well, a scientist does have some responsibility to inform the unwashed masses, Terry."

You let the podcast run as you walk over to the 3D printers.

Vote 8:

What material have you decided to use for your robot?

#Plastic. It may break easily, but it's both lightweight and cheap.
    #Metal. It is the most resistant to damage.
    #Wood. It is the most pleasing to the hand and eye.

Why would you want to build out of wood? I'll let the game speak for itself.

Though wood is an unconventional choice for a robot, wooden automata go back to the
    ancient Greeks at Alexandria. In Japan, they were called the karakuri ningyo .
    While the other machines in this room can create things that are beautiful in their own way,
    your favorite machine is the 3D printer that extrudes a wooden filament mixed with plastic,
    a mixture called laywood.
    Each of these materials will improve your statistics in one area, but come with a tradeoff in another, so it depends on what kind of robot you're trying to build.

Now, some quick advice which you're really supposed to get later but you should really know it now, as you start to build your robot.

Your advisor (that's him in the podcast) is getting funding for your robot from DARPA , who are obviously going to want a robot with military applications.

If you don't want that source of funding and want to get someone else to pay for a different kind of robot, you have two choices:

* The National Science Foundation. These grants are extraordinarily hard to get; if you want one you should focus on one particular statistic (autonomy, military, empathy, or grace) and raise it to 20 or higher. The NSF will only pay for something truly groundbreaking, and if you want a proof-of-concept that will interest them, you're going to have to sacrifice almost everything else to get that one feature to a very high state, at least in the early phases.

I say "any stat" but the military stat doesn't make sense here. DARPA will happily pay for a military 'bot, so why spurn them in favor of the NSF if you're just going to build their dream machine?

* Commercial interest. You may be able to find someone in the private sector willing to buy robots from you. What exactly they might pay for, of course, is up to your imagination.

Without funding , of course, your robot will remain nothing but a dream.

So I suggest you bear that in mind when constructing the initial 'bot , and... let's have the votes at Monday, 5:30PM! See you then!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2015-11-20 at 08:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Vote 6: "Okay, sure."

Vote 7: "Why aren't those flying cars driving themselves?"

Vote 8: "Wood. It is the most pleasing to the hand and eye."
    Last edited by Dudeons; 2015-11-21 at 01:40 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vote 6: okay sure
    Vote 7: if I ever make that much money, I will use it to help the world rather than buy a car
    Vote 8: metal. It is the most resistance to damage

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Vote 6: "Okay, sure"
    Vote 7: "Why aren't those cars flying themselves?"
    Vote 8: "Metal. It is the most resistant to damage."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I LOVE unequivocal votes. We're cool with becoming a robot, we ask why these cars aren't flying themselves, and we'll build the 'bot out of metal.

"Okay, sure".

Tiny robots remake you from head to toe, until you are built of flawless chrome. You are now a perfect tool of destruction. (++Military)

Moreover, as a robot yourself, you understand robots perfectly now. You feel that any robot you could have made before is inferior to the robots you can create now.

But when the horde of robots swarms over the mountains to attack, you wonder if you have sacrificed too much. What are you fighting for?
    MILITARY: +2
    HUMANITY: -9%.
    Military: 6 (In Beta)

So .. we see a flying car and ask "Why aren't these cars driving themselves? "

Occasionally, you see a self-driving car on the roads of Palo Alto. But, for some reason, they still haven't caught on quite as much as one would expect, despite having been around at least as long as the flying cars. You've decided it's because people just don't trust self-driving cars enough. It's important to make your robots seem trustworthy; intelligence alone doesn't instill trust. (+Empathy)
    EMPATHY: +1

So ... we're going to use metal for our construction material, now.

(+Military) You walk over to the computer-controlled water jet cutter, where a helpful pictogram shows the jet of abrasive-filled water slicing a hand in two.

"Dr. Ziegler, in your new book, you talk about the Singularity. Could you describe for our listeners what that is?"

"Terry, the Singularity is the coming time when artificial intelligences will have figured out how to make themselves—and us—smarter. Once that happens, the process will build on itself until the robots are smart enough to figure out how we can live forever."

"Is that possible?" the interviewer asks. "Living forever?"

"Of course," Professor Ziegler says. "What does it matter whether our operating systems are made out of meat or silicon?"

"So you're predicting we'll become robots."

"Not exactly," Ziegler says. "But I do think the line between humans and robots will blur."

You are hardly listening to the podcast, because you're about to make your first robot part.
    MILITARY: +1

Vote 9:

What does the head of your robot look like?

* A human face, as lifelike as I can make it.
    * A simple box with eyes, clearly not trying to be anything but a robot.
    * It will be felt-covered and big-eyed, like a puppet, so people will not be afraid of it.
    * It will have a ring of cameras around its head for a 360-degree view.
    * It will look like a Venetian mask: beautiful, expressionless, and otherworldly.

"Dr. Ziegler, what makes you think the Singularity will happen now?"

"Well, for one thing, I'm around. But seriously. My lab is taking a unique approach because we're saying: why not teach a robot like a child? We're going to equip the robot with the best sensors money can buy and teach it English. Then it could rapidly teach itself using the Internet."

Well, that's annoying. Your advisor thought that a robot child was a stupid idea until you told him Turing proposed it back in 1950, minus the Internet part. But he isn't giving credit to either of you! You keep working, regardless.

Vote 10:
    How will your robot get around?

#It will walk upright on two legs.
    #It will crawl on eight legs.
    #It will roll on wheels.
    #It will fly like a helicopter.
    #It will roll on tank treads.
    #It will walk upright but will also have delicate wings it can use for balance.

You use the basic, hand-cranked milling machines to drill holes in the head for screws, since
    water jet cutters aren't the best for threaded holes.

"And who is going to raise this robotic child?" the interviewer asks.

"Who does all the grunt work in a research laboratory?" Professor Ziegler says. "The graduate
    students, of course."

Vote 11:
    You find yourself wanting to reply to the podcast.

#"It's not grunt work. Education is critical to the robot's development."
    #"We also do all of the real science."
    #"Perhaps you could learn something from doing a little grunt work yourself, Professor Ziegler."

He's a bit arrogant, isn't he? AND he stole credit for our idea. But, when you're a Stanford prof with potentially some serious awards, I guess you're entitled to it.

So ... let's have our votes in by Wednesday, 5:30 PM. This is a holiday weekend in the US. Shall we skip Friday, or proceed as normal?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2015-11-23 at 08:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Vote 9: It will look like a Venetian mask: beautiful, expressionless, and otherworldly.

Vote 10: It will crawl on eight legs.

Vote 11: "We also do all of the real science."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Vote 9: "A simple box with eyes, clearly not trying to be anything but a robot."

Vote 10: "It will roll on tank treads."

Vote 11:"It's not grunt work. Education is critical to the robot's development."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vote 9: it looks like a Venetian mask: beautiful, expressionless and otherworldly

Vote 10: it will crawl on 8 legs

Vote 11: education is not grunt work, it is critical to the robots development

Can't comment on the holiday as I live in the uk, so unfair for me to decide
    Last edited by Jon0113; 2015-11-24 at 08:29 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Venetian mask

Rolls around on wheels, but similarly to Rosie from the Jetsons

And education is not grunt work.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Okay, the head will be a venetian mask ,there will be 8 legs , and education is not grunt work :).

Are designing a final fantasy boss?

First, the head.

The water jet cutter quickly cuts the face: the small nose, the dainty mouth, the large black holes where CCD panels will absorb all light. It takes somewhat longer to add the intricate metal frill that adds a corona to the mask. This is a robot that will command awe. (++Grace) (-Empathy)
    GRACE: +2
    EMPATHY: -1.

Next, the locomotion.

Eight legs may give people the creeps but they're much more stable than two, and your robot will be able to explore more environments as a result. (++Military) (-Empathy) The water jet cutter cuts the legs one by one.
    MILITARY: +2
    EMPATHY: -1. EMPATHY: 0 (nonexistent)

Next, we respond to the Prof's podcast. Education is not grunt work.

"Graduate students always overestimate the degree to which teaching actually matters," says Professor Ziegler, who appears to have entered the machine shop behind you when you weren't looking. "If the robot's smart, it'll learn no matter what, and if it's not, it won't."

Professor Ziegler is a heavyset man wearing a Hawaiian shirt and aviator sunglasses. He stalks over to your computer. "We'll be back in a moment," continues the interviewer. "We're talking with Professor-"

Professor Ziegler pauses the podcast by hitting your laptop's spacebar, and you flinch at this intrusion. He then pulls a cigar from his pocket and lights it, and the smell of smoke mingles with the oily smell of the machine shop.

"I'm writing a grant for DARPA and I need to see what you're making back here. We ultimately get funded by the Department of Defense, so we have to make sure they're happy with our product." He casts a critical eye on the work you've done so far.

"Metal's a good choice," Ziegler says. "They'll want things that appear durable in the field."

Professor Ziegler turns to examining your robot's head, which is currently sitting on the table next to the water jet cutter. "Hm, that seems all right," Ziegler says. "Looks like it could be sufficiently intimidating.

Vote 12:
    "And what are you planning to do for arms and hands?" Professor Ziegler says.

* "Tyrannosaurus rex was the most intimidating dinosaur imaginable, wasn't it? It will have T. rex arms."

* "It will have a gun for an arm. Like Mega Man!"

* "Mechanical grippers built for strength instead of dexterity."

* "I was thinking sort of Swiss Army knife hands with tools that pop out of the fingers."

* "I plan to build a soft hand with a good sense of touch."

* "I was thinking, why just two arms? It will have lots of arms springing out of its back, like Inspector Gadget."

Oh, and it's obvious your professor wants a military machine.

"Fine," Ziegler says, waving away further explanation. "Carry on, then." He turns to leave.
    "I've got to go take a call from a New York Times reporter. Funny how journalists all copy each
    others' stories, but each garble the message in a unique way."

He makes it to the door, then turns and says, "Oh, one more thing. Do you think your
    robot can be ready by tomorrow? Someone from the Air Force will be in town, and I told
    her your robot might be ready to show off by then."

You feel your phone vibrating in your pocket. Hmm, bad timing. You resist the urge
    to check it while talking to your advisor. But it's probably someone with a better offer
    for what to do tonight.

Vote 13:
    #"No, there's no way this robot will be done by tomorrow. Sorry."

#"The robot will be done, but a demo will be out of the question. We need to test first."

#"Of course."

Professor Ziegler turns and walks out of the machine shop.

You find yourself unclenching your hands.

Vote 14:
    Who was calling you while Professor Ziegler was talking to you?

#Elly Lao, a user experience designer and supportive friend.

#Eiji Aomame, a manga artist and generally good guy.

#My ambitious friend Josh Anderson, founder of the startup U.S. Robots.

This helps set your romantic interests. "Elly" is female and "Eiji" is male. Choosing one or the other sets up a potential relationship and opens up additional storylines.

Josh is also a potential romantic interest, and so much more. Asimov fans will recognize US Robots as the manufacturers from I, Robot. If you had an interest in developing your robots commercially, Josh might be a very useful friend to cultivate.

"Elly" and "Eiji" are separate characters, but only one of them will appear in the story. If you choose Elly, Eiji will not be in this story. If you choose Eiji, likewise Elly will not appear in this playthrough. Josh, however, will always be present.

Unfortunately, I have to stop here because we have to decide who is calling us. This will open up a number of potential options which we may not otherwise have. So ... let's see what happens on Friday, after 5:30 PM, Eastern time!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2015-11-25 at 09:06 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Vote 12: "I was thinking, why just two arms? It will have lots of arms springing out of its back, like Inspector Gadget."

Vote 13: "The robot will be done, but a demo will be out of the question. We need to test first."

Vote 14: Eiji Aomame, a manga artist and generally good guy.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vote 12: it will have a gun for hands, like mega man

Vote 13: the robot will be done, but a demo is out of the question, we need to test it first

Vote14: my ambitious friend josh Anderson, founder of the startup us robots
    Last edited by Jon0113; 2015-11-26 at 03:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Vote 12: Swiss Army hands

Vote 13: No way will it be done

Vote 13B: If I'm allowed to write in a 4th option, "No, it won't be completely done, but I can come up with something to demo."

Vote 14: Eiji
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Okay, we've agreed on Eiji and that we need to test the robot before demoing it, but we have a three way split on the arms. So Randomella -- specifically, random.org -- will decide. I will list the options in the order people posted to vote for them, and roll 1d100 for each. Highest number wins.

Gadget arms - 51
    Gun for an arm - 21
    Swiss army arms - 62

So the robot will have Swiss Army arms.

"I was thinking sort of Swiss Army knife hands with tools that pop out of the fingers."

"I like it," Professor Ziegler says. "It could repair other robots on the battlefield."

"Right, it'll have a screwdriver finger, a lockpicking finger, a mini-USB port finger…" You decline to mention the bottle opener, though you think that could be popular with soldiers, too. (+Military) Regardless, experience with a variety of different tools should prove useful in more than just military robots. You wonder if you could make a surgical robot with the same design. (++Grace)

"Fine," Ziegler says, waving away further explanation. "Carry on, then." He turns to leave. "I've got to go take a call from a New York Times reporter. Funny how journalists all copy each others' stories, but each garble the message in a unique way."

He makes it to the door, then turns and says, "Oh, one more thing. Do you think your robot can be ready by tomorrow? Someone from the Air Force will be in town, and I told her your robot might be ready to show off by then."

You feel your phone vibrating in your pocket. Hmm, bad timing. You resist the urge to check it while talking to your advisor. But it's probably someone with a better offer for what to do tonight.
    MILITARY: +1
    GRACE: +2

MILITARY: 10 (Stable)
    GRACE: 5 (In Beta)

We tell him ...

"The robot will be done, but a demo will be out of the question. We need to test first."

Professor Ziegler grudgingly nods. "I can see the logic of that. Maybe we'll just send her a demo video. Then it only has to work once."

Professor Ziegler turns and walks out of the machine shop.

You find yourself unclenching your hands.

Who was calling you while Professor Ziegler was talking to you?
    Why, it was our good friend Eiji Aomane, of course!

From the missed call, your phone is displaying Eiji's profile photo. It's a picture of Josh and Eiji from the freshman welcome week dance, seven years ago. Eiji is wearing a white tuxedo with a red bowtie and making a V sign at the camera. Josh is wearing his usual gray hoodie, not having bothered to dress up for the dance, and his arm is around Eiji.

Vote 15:
    What is the story behind that picture?

* I was in love with Josh's friend Eiji—but my studies always came first in college.
    * I was in love with Josh, but I never knew how to be more than a friend to him.
    * I had agreed to be Josh's wingperson at the dance, and that's where he met Eiji.
    * I was testing a music recognition algorithm when those two started bothering me.

Remember, Grace Tesla is female, so you're roleplaying a young woman.

You notice that Eiji also left you a text. He wants to meet for dinner at a jazz and sushi place in San Francisco, which is about an hour north of you. He also has tickets to a rendition of the musical Pippin in which most of the characters are robots.

Sounds like a date. That's a little terrifying.

Vote 16: You text back…

#"Sounds great, see you then!"

#"Afraid I can't tonight, sorry."

#"Busy tonight, but do you want to come by tomorrow to see the robot?"

#I don't reply—I'd prefer to pretend I missed the text.

After we've decided whether we're going to A) go on a date B) show off the robot to Eiji C) just work on the 'bot, we press on.

You spend the rest of the day drilling holes, polishing surfaces, cutting parts, and screwing things together.

When you are done, your robot's body stands before you: a metal spider-legged robot with a venusian mask head and multiple tool arms.
    The whole thing is about three feet tall.

Now it only needs a name. What will you name your robot?

#Pickle.
    To "pickle" data is to write it to disk so that it stays around. You worked so much with .pickle files while working on Pickle's learning algorithms that it became a natural name for the robot.

#Curry.
    In programming, to "curry" is to create new functions out of old ones, very much like the way language creates new thoughts by chaining words together. Curry's mind will be similar, creating
    something new out of many disparate parts.

#Miku.
    You name your robot after Hatsune Miku , a Japanese artificial character celebrity. Domino's once released an app in Japan in which a virtual Miku would dance on your pizza box. If that isn't worthy of homage, you don't know what is.

#Arachne.
    You name your eight-legged robot after that great weaver Arachne, hoping its grace will likewise make the gods envious.
    #Cuisinart.
    It slices! It dices! You name your robot "Cuisinart" after its multi-purpose hands.

#Killall.
    You decide to name it "Killall," not just because that's a very useful Unix command, but because that's what you hope it will do.
    #Ariel.
    You name your robot after the spirit servant from Shakespeare's The Tempest. You think yourself a little Prospero-like, after all; and perhaps, if Ariel is good, you will eventually set the robot free.

#Caliban.
    It's a rough thing, your robot, and you name it for the rough beast of a man in Shakespeare's The Tempest, who served his magician master unwillingly.

#Famulus.
    You name the thing "Famulus," the Latin word for servant from which "familiar" is derived. You're a geek but you're a classy geek.

#Gardyloo.
    You expect your robot to be a little force for chaos wherever it goes, but want to be subtle about it. You name it "Gardyloo" after what Renaissance people would yell before dumping crap out of their windows.

#I'd prefer to come up with my own robot name.

There's some cool names and choices there. Go ahead and make up your minds, and we'll move forward next Monday, 5:30 PM, Eastern time!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I was in love with Josh's friend Eiji

"Sounds great! See you then!"

Arachne

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Vote 15: I was testing a music recognition algorithm when those two started bothering me.

Vote 16: I don't reply—I'd prefer to pretend I missed the text.

Name: Arachne
    Last edited by Dudeons; 2015-11-27 at 10:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

I was Josh's Wingperson.

"Busy tonight, but do you want to come by tomorrow to see the robot?"

Arachne.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vote 15: I was in love with josh

Vote 16: sounds great see you then

Vote 17: arachne
    Last edited by Jon0113; 2015-11-28 at 03:51 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Okay, we'll name our robot arachne, we'll go to the date, but we are undecided as to the story behind the picture, so we'll roll off.

1) Wingperson 60
    2) Testing musical software. 20
    3) In love with Eiji 46
    4) In love with Josh 94

So -- we were in love with Josh.

All throughout college, you kept finding excuses to be with Josh. You would play video games together, watch Kevin Smith movies together, even go to dances together "as friends," as in this photo. But somehow, he never quite got that you were really into him, and you just couldn't force yourself to make that terrifying leap into the unknown. What you had was comfortable. Eiji was always encouraging you to be brave, and at this dance in particular, he played a lot of the "Grace is so wonderful" game for you. No luck—Josh wasn't going to bite unless you flat out told him, and that is the one thing you were terrified of doing.

We agree to go on the date.

"Great!" Eiji texts back. "See you then!"
    And we name our robot "Arachne".

You name your eight-legged robot after that great weaver Arachne, hoping its grace will likewise make the gods envious.

Vote 18:

Now that Arachne has a body, it might be time to treat Arachne more like a person. With what pronouns will you refer to Arachne?

* "It" is just fine. It's not human.
    * I will refer to her as feminine.
    * I will refer to him as masculine.
    * I would prefer to use entirely new pronouns for robots: rhe, rer, and rhim.

You look on Arachne's three-foot-tall spider body with satisfaction. Now all Arachne needs are
    motors and a mind. The motors will have to wait for tomorrow, but you've spent years in
    graduate school writing the code that would form this robot's mind—you can hardly
    wait to try it out.

You take out your smartphone to check the time: it's almost evening.
    You hurry home to prepare for your dinner with Eiji.
    Okay, best clothes on, right? I hope you like sushi.

A contemplative sax solo greets you as you open the door to Yoshi's. The place is a little cramped
    and very busy. A tiny jazz quartet has set up in the far corner of the restaurant—piano,
    drumset, sax, and a petite Japanese woman in a kimono holding a mic but directing her attention
    to the soloist.

Near the band, Eiji Aomame is studying a copy of Scott McCloud's
    Understanding Comics, a book about the art of visual storytelling written
    in comic form. He's wearing a red bowtie, a fuzzy, blue sweater, black slacks, and a nice
    pair of black loafers. There's a subtle trace of red in his black hair, but it might just be the light. Still intent on his book, he takes out a pencil
    from his pocket and begins sketching from the book on a napkin.

You join him at the table. "Hey."

He looks up and smiles. "Hey!"

He puts away his pencil, book, and napkin. You catch a glimpse of Astro Boy,
    an old Japanese anime character, on the napkin.

"What have you been up to?" Eiji asks.

"I've been working all day on a new robot," you reply. "Just the frame's built
    right now but I wish I'd had time to add motors and start its mind running
    today. It probably could have learned a lot from even this conversation."

Vote 20: He casts you a skeptical look. "What would you hope it to learn, exactly?"

#"The rhythm of normal social interaction."

#"How to reconnect with an old friend."

#"How not to talk to a guy. Negative examples are important."

"Do you want to come by tomorrow and see Arachne when I turn on the power?" you ask. "It's
    going to be really cool."

Eiji shrugs. "Sure, sounds good. It is a Sunday tomorrow, after all. And
    I'm curious to see you interacting with one of your robots. You used to rave
    about them all the time, but I don't think I ever saw one."

Vote 21: Eiji tilts his head to one side. "What is it with you and robots, anyway?"

#"Haven't you ever wanted to change the world?"
    #"I think I just find them comforting, somehow. Like very confused pets."
    #"I think you'll find I'm not the most introspective person in the world."

"Are you two ready to order?"

You've both hardly looked at the menu, so you have to tell the waitress to come back. The
    tastiest maki rolls look like they're named after jazz standards. When the waitress returns, you
    tell her you'll have…

Vote 22:
    #The Invitation.

#The Don't Get Around Much Anymore.

#The Paper Moon.

After you've had a chance to vote, we'll continue this interlude on Wednesday 5:30 PM. It'll be interesting to see how Eiji reacts to our venusian face mask/spider combination.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2015-11-30 at 06:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vote 18: I will refer to her as feminine
    Vote 20: how not to speak to a guy. Negative examples are important
    Vote 21: haven't you ever wanted to change the world
    Vote 22: the invitation

Out of interest, did you miss vote 19 on purpose or by accident
    Last edited by Jon0113; 2015-11-30 at 07:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Vote 18: I will refer to her as feminine.

Vote 20: How not to talk to a guy. Negative examples are important."

Vote 21: I think I just find them comforting, somehow. Like very confused pets.

Vote 22: The Paper Moon