New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

A 30

Correct. You have to succeed at a normal melee attack though. Most touch range spells only require a successful melee touch attack.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

A 30 addendum

To be more precise, the target will suffer the normal consequences of the attack, which may or may not include damage. For example, the channeled spell might be released when the Ordained Champion makes a successful touch attack with her flail to initiate a trip attempt—probably a common tactic for champions of Hextor.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2015-11-24 at 03:06 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Q 31:

A character has Monk 2, Dungeoncrasher Fighter 2. Also has Decisive Strike and the hammer fist feat. How does the math break down for his damage when he hits?
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

A 31

There is no interaction between the two. A Bull Rush attempt is not an attack that can be made with Decisive Strike:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You can make a bull rush as a standard action (an attack) or as part of a charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB2 p. 51
    As a full-round action, make one attack with an unarmed strike or a special monk weapon, using your highest base attack bonus but taking a –2 penalty on this attack roll.
    [Edit]I have missed the hammer fist feat in your question. You can combine hammer fist with decisive strike for 2*(unarmed damage+1.5*STR)[/Edit]
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2015-11-25 at 03:39 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 32

a) Are the veils of the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil from Complete Arcane just normal spell-like abilities, which would mean subject to SR of people who are walking in, can be dispelled just with Dispel Magic?

b) What is my caster level with these veils?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 31

There is no interaction between the two. A Bull Rush attempt is not an attack that can be made with Decisive Strike:

[Edit]I have missed the hammer fist feat in your question. You can combine hammer fist with decisive strike for 2*(unarmed damage+1.5*STR)[/Edit]
    Q 31 follow up: Does that include if you have the knock back feat?
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 032 a) Yes.

A 032 b)

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Arcane, page 46
    An initiate’s caster level for these veils is equal to her arcane spellcaster level.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 033

A question about magic item creation: all magic items that store spells (potion, wands, scrolls...) specify in their creation process that it's the creator who provide material components (and eventual XP cost) and not the end user.

However, what about "components" that are more esoteric, like a location, disease/drug (Book of Vile Darkness) or abstinence (Book of Exalted Deed), or a creature type like Fiend/Devil/Demon/Undead (BoVD again) or Celestial/Archon/Eladrin/Guardinal (BoED again), or even an alignment component (like "Aspect of the Chromatic Dragon" or "Aspect of the Platinum Dragon" from Dragon Magic)?

Are these situational components, again, provided solely by the item creator (or the caster who is recharging a wand or a spell-storing item), and thus free the end user from any of these conditions?

(I'm not asking about Corrupt or Sanctified spells, which have their own clear rules on this point and thus are specific exceptions.)
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 34

Can Precise Shot be used with Eldritch Blasts? If so, how do you figure?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

A 34

Yes, explicitly. See Complete Arcane, pages 71 and 73.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Q36:

Aura of Chaos, Tome of Battle, exactly WHAT damage dice can you continue to roll? Just weapon dice? Or any extra dice you can roll as part of the attack get reroll? (Such as, say, Foe Hammer dice or the damage from the Electric Fist feat, Player's Guide to Ebberon)
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 036

I'm guessing you mean Shocking Fist (Player's Guide to Eberron, page 151), because I couldn't find any Electric Fist. If it's a damage die and you roll its highest number, it qualifies for the Aura of Chaos benefit.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, yes I did. I'm always doing that. Alright, thanks. That makes things... interesting.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 37

Playing a Beguiler and wondering at what point, if any, does casting/utilizing an illusion while invisible break my invisibility? Is the illusion itself considered "targeting a foe" if an enemy sees it and interacts with it?

Thanks!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 38: Can you take a Swift action during a Charge?

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 038 Maybe.

If your swift action would hinder your movement, you no longer qualify for a Charge.
    You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles).
    Otherwise, a swift action is OK unless your DM says no.
    You can take a swift action any time you would normally be allowed to take a free action.
    You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, the DM puts reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q39: One of my players has--perfectly legitimately--earned three levels worth of experience from a single encounter per the table in the Dungeon Master's Guide. Is there a maximum experience award?

I have vague memories of being told that it is not possible to level up twice within a single session, but that was so long ago, and I am not certain if that was RAW or a DM's call. These scenarios, understandably, happen so very rarely.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

A 39

Not quite, it is one level per adventure. If an adventure takes less than one session you can level up more than once. If it takes longer than one session you can only level once per several sessions. Either way the extra points are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB p. 58
    The DM assigns XP to the characters at the end of each adventure based on what they have accomplished. Characters accumulate XP from one adventure to another.
    [...]
    A character can advance only one level at a time. If, for some extraordinary reason, a character’s XP reward from a single adventure would be enough to advance two or more levels at once, he or she instead advances one level and gains just enough XP to be 1 XP short of the next level. Any excess experience points are not retained.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Andezzar: Thank you very much for a concise answer, with a page reference included. That's exactly what I was looking for!

20. - Top - End - #80

Q 040
    A little question about the Death Delver from Heroes of Horror:

At 2nd level, they gain spontaneous casting, i.e. "like a cleric, can lose any prepared spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same level or lower."

The way it is worded, it seems that a Death Delver can convert prepared spells from any class, divine or arcane, and not just from the weak Death Delver spell progression. Is this correct?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

A 40

The Death Delver's ability is subject to the standard limitations on spontaneous casting for multiclass casters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rules Compendium p139
    A multiclass spellcaster can’t cast a spontaneous spell from one class in place of one from another class.
    This could mean that you can only sacrifice Death Delver spell slots, or it could mean that you can only use the ability to cast a cure spell from the class whose spell slot you sacrificed (so that class would have to be able to cast the cure spell—no sacrificing a Wizard spell slot unless you somehow have cure spells as Wizard spells). Ask your DM to help resolve the ambiguity. I recommend the latter interpretation, as it works better with other prestige classes such as Ordained Champion and Loredelver.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2015-11-28 at 05:49 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Interesting. Note, though, that cure or inflict spells aren't on the Death Delver spell list by themselves, which indeed raise some questions.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2015-11-28 at 09:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

confused Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Quote Originally Posted by ApologyFestival View Post
    Q39: One of my players has--perfectly legitimately--earned three levels worth of experience from a single encounter per the table in the Dungeon Master's Guide. Is there a maximum experience award?

I have vague memories of being told that it is not possible to level up twice within a single session, but that was so long ago, and I am not certain if that was RAW or a DM's call. These scenarios, understandably, happen so very rarely.
    I have to ask... what exactly are you throwing at your players that they can get that much experience at once?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Q41
    If you are not on the Material Plane (nor the Astral Plane), you can not become ethereal, because the Ethereal Plane is not connected to elsewhere.

What if a creature native to the Ethereal Plane casts Planar Bubble? Could you become ethereal on the area covered by the spell?

What about the same case, but with Shadow Conjuration and the Plane of Shadow instead?

If the answers are negative, there is any way to achieve this (to become ethereal or cast shadow conjuration outside of the Material/Ethereal/Shadow/Astral Planes?
    Last edited by Lekgolo137; 2015-11-30 at 06:47 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 041

Your initial statement is incorrect. The Ethereal Plane is also coexistent with the Plane of Shadow as well as the Material Plane, and coterminous with the Astral Plane.

Planar Bubble (Planar Handbook, page 102) makes the area around a creature have traits which emulate their native plane; it does not create any actual connection to that plane.

Shadow Conjuration uses material from the Plane of Shadow to create its effects. This is a one-way transfer, and provides no special benefits to a creature native to the Plane of Shadow. However, the spell has no requirement for the Material Plane or any other planar setting; you can cast it anywhere, even including on the Plane of Shadow. A Shadow Creature (Lords of Madness, pages 167-168) can use its Plane Shift Spell-like ability on any plane, not just one coexistent with the Plane of Shadow.

In general, you need to look at the particulars of any individual special ability or spell. Many of these have no requirement for planar connection. For example, spells which channel positive or negative energy function on the Material Plane, even though there is no connection between the Material Plane and the Inner Planes where the Positive Energy Plane and Negative Energy Plane exist.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 042

Does the Bard spell Snowsong from Frostburn move with the caster or does it emanate in a fixed location once it has been cast?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 042

Snowsong is an Area spell, and follows the general rules for such spells.
    Regardless of the shape of the area, you select the point where the spell originates, but otherwise you don’t control which creatures or objects the spell affects. The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection.
    An Area spell can move with the caster, but that needs to be explicitly stated. For example:
    Quote Originally Posted by Antimagic Field
    An invisible barrier surrounds you and moves with you.
    The Snowsong description contains no statement about it moving with the spellcaster. Consequently, Snowsong is centered on a grid intersection that was part of the spellcaster's square(s) at the time of casting, but does not move thereafter.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 43

On page 79 of Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk, the PCs are entitled to a DC 25 Listen check to hear a Dark Naga cast a Silent Spell. Would the PCs who make this check be entitled to a Spellcraft check to identify the spell being cast?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 043 Yes.

The requirement to be allowed to make such a Spellcraft check is "You must see or hear the spell’s verbal or somatic components."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

Q41
    Spoiler: Original Question
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lekgolo137 View Post
    If you are not on the Material Plane (nor the Astral Plane), you can not become ethereal, because the Ethereal Plane is not connected to elsewhere.

What if a creature native to the Ethereal Plane casts Planar Bubble? Could you become ethereal on the area covered by the spell?

What about the same case, but with Shadow Conjuration and the Plane of Shadow instead?

If the answers are negative, there is any way to achieve this (to become ethereal or cast shadow conjuration outside of the Material/Ethereal/Shadow/Astral Planes?

Spoiler: Curmudgeon
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 041

Your initial statement is incorrect. The Ethereal Plane is also coexistent with the Plane of Shadow as well as the Material Plane, and coterminous with the Astral Plane.

Planar Bubble (Planar Handbook, page 102) makes the area around a creature have traits which emulate their native plane; it does not create any actual connection to that plane.

Shadow Conjuration uses material from the Plane of Shadow to create its effects. This is a one-way transfer, and provides no special benefits to a creature native to the Plane of Shadow. However, the spell has no requirement for the Material Plane or any other planar setting; you can cast it anywhere, even including on the Plane of Shadow. A Shadow Creature (Lords of Madness, pages 167-168) can use its Plane Shift Spell-like ability on any plane, not just one coexistent with the Plane of Shadow.

In general, you need to look at the particulars of any individual special ability or spell. Many of these have no requirement for planar connection. For example, spells which channel positive or negative energy function on the Material Plane, even though there is no connection between the Material Plane and the Inner Planes where the Positive Energy Plane and Negative Energy Plane exist.

Sorry Curmudgeon, but you are wrong in several points.

Ethereal Plane
    The Ethereal Plane is coexistent with the Material Plane and the Astral Plane.
    It is separated from every other plane.
    Plane of Shadow
    The Plane of Shadow is coexistent with the Material Plane and the Astral Plane.
    It is separated from every other plane.
    Spells
    Spells and spell-like abilities that use or access a specific plane do not function in planes separated from it, you must be in a plane that is coexistent or coterminous to that plane.

All of this is clearly stated in the Manual of the Planes, there is even a list of spells that need access to specific planes, and yes, Etherealness is in the Ethereal Plane list, and Shadow Conjuration is in the Plane of Shadow list.

My questions are then STILL STANDING.
    Last edited by Lekgolo137; 2015-11-30 at 06:48 AM.