New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Q 502

The SRD seems to lack a definition for the hide modifier of a creature moving at its speed:

"Your Hide check is opposed by the Spot check of anyone who might see you.
    - You can move up to one-half your normal speed and hide at no penalty.
    - When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than your normal speed, you take a -5 penalty.
    - It’s practically impossible (-20 penalty) to hide while attacking, running or charging."

Are we to assume that using a full move action (or 2) counts as running/charging, imposing the -20 to the check?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2016-05-01 at 02:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Q 503

Can I affect an infinite amount of creatures with Horrid Wilting if any two of them are not 60ft apart?
    I probably ruined another cup of tea while writing this post. Oh, the smell of half an hour brewed, somewhat cold tea!

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ettin in the Playground

A 503

No, only as many creatures as fit in the 60 ft diameter sphere.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Synar View Post
    Q 501
    Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q 502
    Q 503
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitoreous View Post
    Q 504
    501 was posted twice. Next question is 505.
    Last edited by zergling.exe; 2016-05-01 at 05:12 PM.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

5. - Top - End - #995

BardGuy

Q 502

The SRD seems to lack a definition for the hide modifier of a creature moving at its speed:

- When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than your normal speed, you take a -5 penalty.
    - It’s practically impossible (-20 penalty) to hide while attacking, running or charging."

Are we to assume that using a full move action (or 2) counts as running/charging, imposing the -20 to the check?
    A 502

I find it convenient sometimes to use the term "standard distance" to denote what the rulebooks call your "speed," because this sometimes avoids confusion. What "your speed" really means is the distance that you normally cover with one standard move, for example 30 feet if you are an unencumbered human. Normally, when you take a standard move in combat, you "hustle," and in a regular combat round, you may either take a standard move plus a standard action or take a single withdraw action, which is a full-round action. Actually, a withdraw action is simply a doubled standard move with which you move double your "speed" or, as I prefer to say, double your standard distance.

Normally, when you move to hide and make a Hide check (which itself does not count as any action at all), you don't "hustle"; instead, you only "walk." That is, you move no more than one-half of your standard distance with each standard move, or no more than your standard distance with a withdraw action. Moving like this imposes no speed penalty on your Hide check. However:

• If you have a surprise round in which to hide and your hiding place is farther than one-half of your standard distance away, you must hustle to reach it. This adds a speed penalty of -5 to your Hide check, but enables you to reach a hiding place up to your standard distance away.

• Similarly, if you have a regular combat round in which to hide and your hiding place is farther than your standard distance away, you must hustle to reach it. This adds a speed penalty of -5 to your Hide check, but enables you to reach a hiding place up to twice your standard distance away.

• If you have a regular combat round in which to hide and your hiding place is farther than twice your standard distance away, you must run to reach it. This adds a speed penalty of -20 to your Hide check, but enables you to reach a hiding place up to four times your standard distance away.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2016-05-01 at 09:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #996

EvilClericGuy

Q505

My character has the Somatic Weaponry feat, a shield in one hand, and a sword in the other. He can cast spells despite both his hands being free because of the feat.

What happens if he casts Cure Light Wounds, which has a touch component? Is it then different again if I want to use it on a friendly, or a hostile (as a melee touch attack?)

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 505 (partial)
    The type of shield in your hand matters in this case. If you have a light shield, your hand is free enough to touch an ally, but likely not free enough to use a touch attack (as you cannot wield a weapon in that hand and a touch attack is a weaponlike spell).

If you are using a buckler, your hand is free already.

If you are using a heavy or tower shield, I don't think you can use that hand to touch an ally.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ettin in the Playground

A 503 Addendum to the Hiding and Speed question

What you are writing is very interesting, Duke of Urrel, but unfortunately it does not answer the question.
    The rule erroneously only apply the -5 penalty to distances "greater than one-half but less than your normal speed". Taken literally that does not include moving exactly your speed. The penalty is not defined.

While taking two move actions to change position doubles the distance travelled but technically it does not increase your "speed". Doing so has the same problem as above, shpuld you use the maximum distance with one or both move actions.

For everything beyond that the character needs a Full round action to run. Which again has a defined penalty.

A 505 Addendum

There is no requirement of a free hand to connect for a touch spell. You can use any body part.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2016-05-01 at 11:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Synar View Post
    Q 501 :
    Break enchantment reads : "This spell frees victims from enchantments, transmutations, and curses. Break enchantment can reverse even an instantaneous effect. For each such effect, you make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level, maximum +15) against a DC of 11 + caster level of the effect."
    I am confused at to what "each such effect" means.
    Should the caster make checks against every effects or only against instantaneous effects (with the other ones being automatically dispelled)?
    Make a check against each spell that Break Enchantment could dispel.

Quote Originally Posted by justiceforall View Post
    Q505

My character has the Somatic Weaponry feat, a shield in one hand, and a sword in the other. He can cast spells despite both his hands being free because of the feat.

What happens if he casts Cure Light Wounds, which has a touch component? Is it then different again if I want to use it on a friendly, or a hostile (as a melee touch attack?)
    He can touch an ally as part of casting the spell. If he doesn't, he'll hold the charge, and the spell will take effect on the next creature he touches, provided he doesn't cast another spell in the meantime.

10. - Top - End - #1000

EvilClericGuy

Q505 - clarification

He can touch an ally as part of casting the spell. If he doesn't, he'll hold the charge, and the spell will take effect on the next creature he touches, provided he doesn't cast another spell in the meantime.
    He can touch without requiring a free hand? Could he for instance, touch them with his sword (or shield, or a non-hand body part)?

I couldn't find anything in the SRD about whether or not delivering touch spells requires a free hand:

Touch

You must touch a creature or object to affect it. A touch spell that deals damage can score a critical hit just as a weapon can. A touch spell threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch as many willing targets as you can reach as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by justiceforall View Post
    Q505 - clarification

He can touch without requiring a free hand? Could he for instance, touch them with his sword (or shield, or a non-hand body part)?

I couldn't find anything in the SRD about whether or not delivering touch spells requires a free hand:
    Any part of his body. Somatic components require a free hand; delivering touch spells does not. You can use a punch, a kick, a natural weapon, a kiss, whatever.

12. - Top - End - #1002

Q 506

If a character has multiple Ambush Feats and enough sneak attack dice, can he use multiple feats on the same attack? The way the feats are structured suggests yes, but shooting someone in the gut and eye with one arrow just seems weird.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ettin in the Playground

A 506

Nothing but the number of sneak attack dice prevents you from using multiple ambush feats at the same time. If you shoot someone in the gut and the eye, I guess you you have a magic bullet quarrel. ;)

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q 507

Can I use two bucklers at the same time?
    I probably ruined another cup of tea while writing this post. Oh, the smell of half an hour brewed, somewhat cold tea!

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traitoreous View Post
    Q 507

Can I use two bucklers at the same time?
    Yes, assuming you have two arms. Note that the shield bonuses do not stack.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q 502

A 502 503

No, the penalty for moving your full movement speed is also just -5. This was clarified in the Rules Compendium because, as noted, the PHB accidentally excluded that situation.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    RE Post #964
    Hey guys think I can get an answer to this one - Please.
    Q 487
    Cleric Turn & Rebuke Undead and the Rebuke Dragons ACF, combo with holy symbol (MICp120)
    the question is the holy symbol states that it grants additional turn uses with turn OR rebuke undead.
    IF turn undead is it's own ability, and rebuke is it's own ability, and rebuke dragons is it's own abilty, Would the holy symbol grant additional uses per each separate ability, OR only uses to just 1 ability?
    At a guess, without having read it, I would say that if Rebuke Dragons is an ACF for Rebuke Undead, powered by the Rebuke Undead uses, then the Holy Symbol would work for that. My reference would be the well-loved item "Nightsticks" (IIRC), which granted additional uses of Turn Undead and powered many Persistent Spell shenanigans.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question #508

Is the Dance of Death ability granted by Paimon a standard action, as usual?
    I'm having trouble thinking cognitively and I'm not seeing where it states the action.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    RE Post #964
    Hey guys think I can get an answer to this one - Please.
    Q 487
    Cleric Turn & Rebuke Undead and the Rebuke Dragons ACF, combo with holy symbol (MICp120)
    the question is the holy symbol states that it grants additional turn uses with turn OR rebuke undead.
    IF turn undead is it's own ability, and rebuke is it's own ability, and rebuke dragons is it's own abilty, Would the holy symbol grant additional uses per each separate ability, OR only uses to just 1 ability?
    At a guess, without having read it, I would say that if Rebuke Dragons is an ACF for Rebuke Undead, powered by the Rebuke Undead uses, then the Holy Symbol would work for that. My reference would be the well-loved item "Nightsticks" (IIRC), which granted additional uses of Turn Undead and powered many Persistent Spell shenanigans.
    This is incorrect. Rebuke Dragons is not powered by uses of Rebuke Undead. Nightsticks aren't relevant to the question.

The "holy symbol" item is found in the Player's Handbook on page 130, not in the Magic Item Compendium, and it has no special interaction with Rebuke Dragons except that you can present it as a focus for the ability. MIC has the reliquary holy symbol, which acts as a normal holy symbol, but can also grant additional uses of turn/rebuke undead. It does not grant additional uses of other turning or rebuking abilities.

If your answer is a guess, you should probably just skip answering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Devigor View Post
    Question #508

Is the Dance of Death ability granted by Paimon a standard action, as usual?
    I'm having trouble thinking cognitively and I'm not seeing where it states the action.
    It's in the introductory section before the vestige descriptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Magic p19
    All powers granted by vestiges are supernatural in origin, even if they replicate spells or abilities that are not normally considered magical.
    [...]
    Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless otherwise noted.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    This is incorrect. Rebuke Dragons is not powered by uses of Rebuke Undead. Nightsticks aren't relevant to the question.

The "holy symbol" item is found in the Player's Handbook on page 130, not in the Magic Item Compendium, and it has no special interaction with Rebuke Dragons except that you can present it as a focus for the ability. MIC has the reliquary holy symbol, which acts as a normal holy symbol, but can also grant additional uses of turn/rebuke undead. It does not grant additional uses of other turning or rebuking abilities.

If your answer is a guess, you should probably just skip answering.

It's in the introductory section before the vestige descriptions.
    RE: Q 487
    the related RELIQUARY HOLY SYMBOL (MIC p120)< Good grief does no one bother to actually read the refered info?>

In addition, for each of the following prerequisites that you meet, the holy symbol grants you one additional daily use of your turn or rebuke undead ability.
    Rebuke dragons ACF Benefit: You channel divine energy to rebuke (awe) or command (control) dragons. This ability functions as an evil cleric rebuking undead
    and so Marks interpretations does have merit as the ACF clearly affects rebuke undead, and in the case of the original question does this holy symbol give its extra turn effect to the 3 seperate abilities is correct.
    The holy symbol gives its turns to turn undead, rebuke undead and because of how the ACF is worded it to should get the extra turns.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Titan in the Playground

RE: Q 487
    the related RELIQUARY HOLY SYMBOL (MIC p120)< Good grief does no one bother to actually read the refered info?>

and so Marks interpretations does have merit as the ACF clearly affects rebuke undead, and in the case of the original question does this holy symbol give its extra turn effect to the 3 seperate abilities is correct.
    The holy symbol gives its turns to turn undead, rebuke undead and because of how the ACF is worded it to should get the extra turns.
    Rebuke Dragons is not powered by uses of turn/rebuke undead. It is a separate ability, like the ability to turn/rebuke elementals granted by some domains. A reliquary holy symbol specifically only grants additional uses of turn/rebuke undead; it does not affect any other turning or rebuking abilities you may have.

22. - Top - End - #1012

EvilClericGuy

Q509

Is there any abilities, feats, etc that generate the same effect as the Unbalancing Blow (Ex) ability of Tactical Soldier? Eg: provokes attacks of opportunity from nearby allies?

I'm aware of options like trip and such, here I'm looking for anything that immediately triggers.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q#510

Teleport allows a saving throw for objects, and spell resistance for objects, but neither for non-objects. Do constructs get saving throws or spell resistance/spell immunity against a teleport spell?
    Last edited by Devigor; 2016-05-03 at 12:09 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ettin in the Playground

A 510

Nope:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Only objects held or in use (attended) by another person receive saving throws and spell resistance.
    Constructs are creatures. They aren't in use by another person either.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

Q 511

Can you chose to target yourself, or include yourself in the area, of a Breath Weapon which is expressed as a line or cone?

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 511

It only needs to originate from a grid intersection that touches your square. Technically, nothing is stopping you. Keep in mind though that the breath weapon still needs to go through a square you occupy. You can't just have it affect you too.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 512

When creatures cooperate in the creation of a magic item, each providing one or more of the prerequisites, they have to agree on which one of them is to be considered the creator of the item for determinations where the creator’s level must be known. The character designated as the creator pays the XP required to make the item.

A: am I right to assume that the creator's level refers to the caster level chosen for the item?
    B: are all the cooperating creatures prohibited from working on other magic items while another is in the creation progress, or is it just the chosen creator, or the one with the crafting feat, or even the one(s) who supplies the spell/racial/skill requirements?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 513

An empowered "cure serious wounds" cast by a 20th level caster cures (3d8 + 15) x 1.5 or 3d8 x 1.5 +15 points of damage ?

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A 513

(3d8+15) x 1.5
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2016-05-03 at 08:03 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Titan in the Playground

Q 514: What book and page number can the Primordial Giant Template be located in/on?
    "I Burn!"