New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

A 112 No.

I know of no human subtype traits in the rules. This is also the case for the elf, dwarf, and goblinoid subtypes: these are grouping mechanisms only. An example, from Monster Manual page 297:
    Goblinoid: The creature belongs to one of the goblin races.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Q113 MM1 p. 306 "Augmented Subtype: ... A creature with the augmented subtype usually has the traits of its current type, but the features of its original type. ..." Is this quote a rule or flavor text? Lets say an effect changes a creatures type, but the effect does not tell you anything else. Would the creature loose its old traits and gain the new ones, woud nothing happen or is it undefined?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

A 113

It is a rule. There is no distinction between flavor text and rules. Unless explicitly mentioned that it loses something, just gains the new ones as there is no rule saying that it loses anything.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Halfling in the Playground

A 113 cont.

EDIT

Ok, now I get it. Sorry for useless post.

Tank you
    Last edited by jok; 2015-12-21 at 10:26 AM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 114

Racial Emulation feat allow Changeling to considered to be a member of a race in which he turned via Minor Change Shape (sans traits).

Does it mean it's possible to take levels in Paragon Classes, or in monstrous classes (Skulk, Drow, Duergar, Githyanki/Githzerai, Dark Creeper/Dark Stalker)?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Q115 Does the additional d6 of Ranged Sneak Attack damage from the Halfling Rogue Racial Substitution Level (RotW pg.160) count towards qualification for feats/PrCs/etc that require a certain number of Sneak Attack Dice?

Q116 Can you direct a gaze attack that specifies needing to be directed at a target (such as the Basilisk Mask Totem Bind, MoI pg.59) at a creature that you can't see, but that can see you (say you've detected it with Blindsense or something)?
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2015-12-21 at 01:26 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 116

Blindsense only tells you what square a creature occupies. It is insufficient for targetting spells and other effects. Blindsight would work, though.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Q117
    If I have 3 levels in Black Blood Cultist which gives me additional natural attacks through Feral Rage (2 claws and a bite), can I utilize these extra attacks while wild shaped as a level 8 druid?

For example, as a Dire Lion, do I have 4 claw attacks and 2 bite attacks total? Or the standard 2 claws and 1 bite attacks? If I have the prior, which attacks are primary and which are secondary?

Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

A 117

You lose all natural attacks from your normal race in Wild Shape form. It's "as Alternate form except where noted," and:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Alternate Form
    The creature loses the natural weapons, natural armor, and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
    EDIT: Wrong number
    Last edited by ManicOppressive; 2015-12-22 at 01:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    typo report : panel 5, "pleather" I presume the p shouldn't be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You live an aesthetically blessed life.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 115 Yes, but only conditionally.

If, for example, the Halfling with +2d6 ranged sneak attack and no (+0d6) melee sneak attack were to take Sickening Strike, it would not apply to melee attacks.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Q118

At level 13, a duskblade may use it's arcane channeling with a full round attack. May I hit the same target with a touch spell multiple times, or does it affect each hit opponent once?

12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 119

If a fighter is standing in a corner (a right-angle corner), could two brown bears attack him at once?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

A 119:

They'd have a difficult time both attacking him at once even without the corner, as they would presumably each have a different initiative count.

Assuming that you mean to ask whether the two bears could both be in a position to attack him at once, no, assuming that the walls forming the corner are of significant length. Brown bears are large creatures (10' by 10' space) with 5' reach, and there is no way to place both bears that leaves the fighter within the reach of both.

However, the first bear could full-attack and then take a 5' step back, enabling the second bear to take a 5' step in and full attack. Whether they would actually use this tactic is debatable, as they have only animal intelligence and do not usually fight in groups.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 119 addition

If the first bear pulls you out of the corner with its Improved Grab ability, the second bear could attack into the grapple.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2015-12-22 at 03:40 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Someone mentioned the psionic combination of Fusion and Astral Seedto me a little while ago and I didn't think much of it at the time, but as I look at it, a few main question trees occur to me...

Q 120.a

Does this essentially force your DM into allowing you to have a gestalt character? Say we have a fully psionic character that uses fusion with a full caster class, then manifests astral seed, then separates, and finally kills himself in some way. Does he come back as his own, individual consciousness, with all his psionic abilities, but with all the spellcasting capabilities that the mage had at the time they were fused (minus one level pre-thought bottle)? Does he retain their feats? Skill points?

Q 120.b

Suppose we have the aforementioned gestalt monstrosity; it pops a thought bottle for the lost xp and it now approaches a cleric and fuses with her temporarily. Rinse and repeat, now the conglomorate has the abilities of a wizard/cleric/egoist, all for free (read: 500xp (read: an ambrosia binge))?

Q 120.c

How does all that interact with level adjustment?

This may seem like a redundant question, but I just feel the need to confirm it because... well... some part of me just doesn't seem to believe that could be RAW legal, haha. Naturally, except in Tippy's parties, such an attempt would summon swarms of rocks to fall and kill the party.
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2015-12-22 at 07:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Q121: Is there any way to remove swarm traits from a swarm or otherwise make it vulnerable to grappling?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Q121: Is there any way to remove swarm traits from a swarm or otherwise make it vulnerable to grappling?
    A121

So far as I know, the only RAW way is to deal enough nonlethal damage to disperse them -- and subsequently grapple individual (or even multiple) members.
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by alanek2002 View Post
    Q118

At level 13, a duskblade may use it's arcane channeling with a full round attack. May I hit the same target with a touch spell multiple times, or does it affect each hit opponent once?
    A 118

The spell is applied to every attack you make in the round, which means that if you attack the same target multiple times with a full attack the touch spell will hit them each time. "The spell affects each target you hit..." does not indicate separate targets, and full attacks don't consider previous targets at all when targeting new ones.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Q 122
    Are there any prestige classes that automatically silence or still spells as per the metamagic feats?

I seem to remember such a prestige class, but can't find it again, so help would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.
    May have a optimization addiction.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic_Spoon View Post
    Q 122
    Are there any prestige classes that automatically silence or still spells as per the metamagic feats?

I seem to remember such a prestige class, but can't find it again, so help would be appreciated.
    A 122

You are remembering the Runesmith, I believe.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dwarf in the Playground

A 122 addendum

The Beguiler also gets those, though that isn't a prestige class. That's likely what you were thinking of.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 123

Is a person under the effects of a Sequester spell an eligible target for Foresight?
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Q 123

Is a person under the effects of a Sequester spell an eligible target for Foresight?
    A 123

Yes, they would be an eligible target.

'Sequester' doesn't prevent divination spells outright, it only prevents divination spells (or regular sight) from detecting or locating the target.

It also renders the sequestered person comatose. The person having 'foresight' cast on them wouldn't even get a saving throw, because comatose people are unconscious, unconscious people are helpless, and helpless people are considered willing (for spell will save purposes).

So, assuming you've found the person sequestered well enough to touch them in the first place, the 'foresight' spell would then tell you if their body would be in danger for the duration of the spell.
    Last edited by Bronk; 2015-12-23 at 08:02 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 118 additional

The spell affects each target you hit...
    Caveat: this is often taken to mean that it will only affect each target struck in the full attack once, regardless of the number of times that target is hit (so long as it is at least once).
    This question of multiple hits on one target vs. "best used with whirlwind attack" is not so much as RAW question as an English question - and the language is ambiguous.
    This question is best asked of your DM, as responses here will simply be personal interpretations of the English.

(Note: people with access to official translations of the rules can sometimes clarify language questions, but the different translations do not always agree.)

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

Q 124

Can a spell-like ability be used to qualify for a prestige class that requires that spell? (For reference: Spell Hand to qualify for Arcane Trickster)
    "In reality perfection isn't really what we want, so we just throw words at the page and we call it a masterpiece if any part of it fits." -Schmidt

Monstrous law. Human slaves. Feuding dragons. And the evil elven empire. Freeholders, coming soonTM.

Hey look, a thing!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

A 124:

Yes, so long as it's that particular spell that's required (like Mage Hand for Arcane Trickster), and not spells of X level (like 2nd level arcane and divine spells for Mystic Theurge).
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

27. - Top - End - #267

Q 125

Does the damage from a vampiric touch activated through a bloodstone weapon count as part of your attack for the vampire torc's healing?
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Q 120.a

Does this essentially force your DM into allowing you to have a gestalt character? Say we have a fully psionic character that uses fusion with a full caster class, then manifests astral seed, then separates, and finally kills himself in some way. Does he come back as his own, individual consciousness, with all his psionic abilities, but with all the spellcasting capabilities that the mage had at the time they were fused (minus one level pre-thought bottle)? Does he retain their feats? Skill points?
    A 120.a

The fused being is considered its own creature, separate from the two constituent creatures. If it manifests Astral Seed, the storage crystal will activate upon the fused being's death. If the duration ends before then, the fused being will have ceased to exist, so it cannot die. If the fused being dies before then, this happens:
    If a fused being is killed, it separates into its constituent creatures, both of which are also dead.
    At that point, there is room for interpretation as to what happens to the storage crystal, but the most obvious interpretation seems to be that the fused creature, having separated into its constituent creatures, no longer exists. Another interpretation is that both creatures' souls are transferred into the astral seed and can revive as a fused creature (although the duration of Fusion will still be ticking down, even while they're dead). A third interpretation is that the fused creature, as a separate being, has its own soul, which is transferred into the astral seed while the souls of the constituent creatures remain in their bodies. None of these interpretations is inconsistent with the RAW, so talk to your DM.

Q 120.b

Suppose we have the aforementioned gestalt monstrosity; it pops a thought bottle for the lost xp and it now approaches a cleric and fuses with her temporarily. Rinse and repeat, now the conglomorate has the abilities of a wizard/cleric/egoist, all for free (read: 500xp (read: an ambrosia binge))?
    A 120.b

If you begin with the assumption that this works, then yes, it would work multiple times, although I wouldn't call it free.

Q 120.c

How does all that interact with level adjustment?
    A 120.c

Level adjustment is a racial ability, so the fused creature has the LA of both its constituent creatures.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2015-12-26 at 05:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269

Q126 : Does Combat Expertise stack with the "fighting defensively" action, or is it an improvement of it (as the "Normal" section of the feat would tend to suggest) ?
    In case it doesn't stack, does using Combat Expertise count as fighting defensively for the purpose of Elaborate Parry ?
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    Q126 : Does Combat Expertise stack with the "fighting defensively" action, or is it an improvement of it (as the "Normal" section of the feat would tend to suggest) ?
    In case it doesn't stack, does using Combat Expertise count as fighting defensively for the purpose of Elaborate Parry ?
    A 126

Combat Expertise and fighting defensively are similar, but they are not the same thing, and the one doesn't count as the other. They do stack, as they both provide dodge bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#dodgeBonuses
    Unlike most sorts of bonuses, dodge bonuses stack with each other.