New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: FR: Quest for the Forgotten Key IC (Sequoia)

Teb Hokk
    The half-orc simply gapes as Ark re-emerges. He wasn't very good at this sort of thing, but there was something different about his friend. After a minute, His face breaks into a pumpkin grin, and the room resounds with the clang of metal on metal as Teb claps his huge hands together.
    "Hey! That's pretty good!"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Chanda

Chanda nearly drops the circlet when she hears Ark's scream, and raises an eyebrow when he emerges. None the less, she takes one last look at the circlet and places it atop her brow, weaving her hair through it like the head of a needle.

"Should my scalp feel tingly? I mean...gooood tingly."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Ark grins. Yes Teb it is. But I can't find the belt, it disappeared when I put it on. He sounds slightly panicky. How do I take it off?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Ulryn chuckled slightly when he heard Ark scream and had been looking at the door in anticipation when his head popped out.

"Excellent! I wasn't sure it would still work after all these years... Taking it off is a bit more complicated - I can cast a spell that will remove it, or you can seek to have it removed by another spellcaster who has some experience with these things, but I'm afraid that the change is quite real and quite permanent otherwise. I suppose I could scribe a scroll with the spell on it, but it WOULD take me some time."

He turned to Chanda.

"And yes, it should tingle ever so slightly. Just wait until you draw on its power - THAT tingles."

Fatha has no idea what the belt is, and none of you except Teb and Ark really know exactly what it did yet. (I'll need spot checks and inteligence checks please)
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Ark nods, looking worried, and closes the door again.
    A few moments later he walks out again. He's about 6 inches taller than before, and his clothes are straining over his much broader shoulders. What's the spell?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Teb
    Looking at his companion's new width and height, Teb turns to Ulryn
    "Hey, Is there a belt I could wear that makes me bigger 'n tougher too?" he asks, his expression hopeful. But almost as quickly, he deflates. "Aw, wait, I can't; I got these magic hands. And if you have a magic belt, the hands don't do nothin'." The last part of the sentence is delivered with a particular meter that suggests Teb was quoting someone else.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Ark raises a hand. That's not exactly... uh, I mean that's right Teb, well done.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Ulryn smiled at their interaction. "The spell is 'Remove curse', though in your case I'd hardly call it that. If you like, the chest to the left of the door is full of various pieces of clothing, some of which might fit you a bit better."
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

When Fatha unfurled the map, it looked like this.
    Runa Redgrave

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Ark sighs. Beshaba, I can't cast that one. Could you make a scroll of it while we're getting this key for me? It's useful, but I'll want to take it off eventually. I mean, the extra strength and toughness are useful, and the height advantage will be useful in battle, but, well... we like what we're used to, you know? I mean, seriously, it's like the plot of some bad play. With another sigh, he walks over to the chest and starts to look for a bigger shirt, a bigger hooded cloak (he's still hooded actually) and an even bigger pair of ridiculously huge boots.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Ulryn nodded. "I will indeed include a scroll of that spell for you in your reward, free of charge."

Spoiler
    Show
    Then Ulryn's thoughts penetrated Ark's mind.

I'm certain you realize that the best disguise is the one that cannot be removed?
    Runa Redgrave

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Ark pauses in his rifling through the box, and turns to look at Ulryn. Yes, I know, I didn't say it won't be useful, it will. It's just, well... unpleasant. Imagine how you'd feel if you were wearing it. I mean, it's better than death, I will keep it, but I'll want to take it off eventually, when I'm safe.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Ark found everything but the cloak, but realised that he didn't actually need it, as the cloak Ulryn had already gave him was oversized to begin with, and had a nice hood too. The shirt he found was froofy and ornate looking, and the boots were wide but not incredibly long, as if made for a large dwarf, and fit perfectly.

Ulryn chuckled. "Oh, I know the feeling all too well - you see, I wore that belt for two years before growing powerful enough to remove it. The wizard I was apprenticed to at the time refused to help me - he thought it would be a character building experience, and good drive to develop my abilities. He was right."
    Runa Redgrave

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Ark raises his eyebrows. And he also found it hilarious no doubt. Wizards I've found often have rather sick senses of humour. He takes the shirt and shoes, and goes to the back room to get changed.

15. - Top - End - #75

Chanda

"Wizards have sick senses of humor..." Chanda repeats, her tone inattentive and ethereal. She shook her head suddenly, then returned to a more collected posture: "Yes. They tend to. Something about bossing around reality, I think. Gives most of them 'healthy' egos," she jokes looking to Ulryn with a comfortable smile.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Teb Hokk
    Teb growls when the line about wizards and their sense of humor floats across the room.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Ulryn gives a sad sigh.

"I'm afraid some wizards more so than others, the fewer the scrupels, the more twisted the man. I think you'll find that although I have a sense of humor, I try not to use it at others' expense. ...most of the time." This last line brought a smile to his face.
    Runa Redgrave

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Teb Hokk
    Teb suddenly looks worried.
    "Hey, these hands...they just make me strong, right? They don't do nothin' else, do they?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Ulryn's smile broadened into a grin.

"No, Teb, I think you'll find that you're otherwise... intact."
    Runa Redgrave

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Teb
    Teb nods, but doesn't look too reassured. Magic was just to mysterious to be trusted. Put on some gloves and you get stronger, wave a stick and someone is healed...but what else? A troubling question.

"So, um," Teb cracks his knuckles. "We look for a key? To the box? What's it look like?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

"They key is small, about two inches long, and golden like the lock housing on the drawer. Last I recall, it had a dark red ribbon tied to it, about a foot and a half long. To just go blindly searching would be like looking for a needle in a pine forest, I suggest asking the people of the town what they know - but be cautious on the journey - The King's Forest is full of unsavory characters: Orcs, Goblins, bandits, and the like. It'd be faster to cut through the forest here on the way to Forest Gate, following one of the old roads through it, but It may be safer to pass through the capital, Suzail to the South. The choice is yours - I've prepared you as best as I know how. So unless there's anything else, I wish you the best of luck on your quest, and hope that you will return safely, and of course, with the key."

With this last line, Ulryn rose with a smile.
    Runa Redgrave

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Teb Hokk
    Teb smirks to himself. Wizards weren't so smart after all; everyone knows that needles are real easy to find in a pine forest. They grow on the trees! Speaking up, Teb rumbles
    "Hey, Ark? Let's go through the forest!" The enthsiasm shines on his green-tinged face. "I wanna try out these magic hands."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

If we travel through the forest we shall surely meet up with some unsavory folk that we may have to deal with, which may be fun. But traveling through the City we may be able to gather more information about this key. I am up for either route. Svanna said to the group as she bowed to Ulryn and headed toward the door

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh! And one last thing..." Ulryn's purple eyes shone.

"If you do end up in a city, or anywhere else where there are people for that matter, please refrain from mentioning the nature of item the key belongs to. You can mention a key, and even describe it. But do not mention the drawer itself - magic this powerful has a way of attracting exactly the wrong kind of attention."
    Runa Redgrave

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

As Ulryn speaks, Ark comes back in, now wearing even larger boots and the ridiculous frilly shirt. His backpack looks rather bulky, so you'd guess the rest of his stuff is in there. I have a couple of questions first. Which inn in the town of Forest Gate did you stay in, and how long ago was this?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

"As I recall, there is only one. When is more difficult to say. Late Summer? Fall of last year? Not too terribly long ago, I think."
    Runa Redgrave

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Teb Hokk
    Teb crosses his arms, the muscles bulging on his arms like a sealed vinegar cask in the sun.
    "Okay. I guess...we better go now? Evenin's comin'."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Ark nods, and flexes his newly muscled arms. Right, let's go.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Svanna HOlds the door open as she exits Ulryn's house for the others

30. - Top - End - #90

Chanda

Chanda smiles at Ulryn and bows lightly before leaving, folding her hands together in a ceremoniously polite manner. She stands straight, then, turns to Svanna and passes through the door.

"Thank you."