New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Abberations

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Abberations

So I am creating a dungeon, with the theme being mostly aberrations. The party is level 15, and heavily optimized.
    Here's the group:
    Radiant Servant of Pelor, uses DMM Persist (can do about 6 a day now),
    Rogue/Master Thrower,
    Sorcerer/Spellwarp Sniper,
    Abjurant Champion gish.

I already have an Omnimental in the works, beholders, aboleths, and enough environmental hazards to keep them distracted. I need one more creature, and am open to ideas.

Thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Abberations

Ethergaunts are my favourites. Immune to low-level arcane spells, wizard casting with high Intelligence, etherealness, and mind control shenanigans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Elan Thrallherd?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If you don't mind Psionics, the Neolithid from Expanded Psionics Handbook is spiffy at Level 15. Give it a normal Psionic Mind Flayer with ride ranks and you could have a freakish Mind Flayer Knight going on.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BioCharge View Post
    If you don't mind Psionics, the Neolithid from Expanded Psionics Handbook is spiffy at Level 15. Give it a normal Psionic Mind Flayer with ride ranks and you could have a freakish Mind Flayer Knight going on.
    I feel that doesn't work from a fluff perspective, since my recollection is that neolithids are basically aborted illithids that didn't die and somehow turned into giant megaworm things. But they hate each other, is the point.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

The fluff is in the name, they are illithids with neoteny. Neoteny is when a larval form doesn't metamorphose as normal in adulthood, so for real life examples there are tadpoles that never become frogs or newts, there are also some caterpillars that lay eggs without ever making a chrysalis to become a butterfly or moth. The neothillid is an illithid that never is put into a humanoid brain, so it just stays a tadpole. And then becomes a really big adult tadpole.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eh, you could always buck the trend. I plan on running a Thoon-based campaign where the the Mind Flayers of Thoon (with all their selective breeding and whatnot) actually breed the things for such purposes. As the saying goes: fluff is mutable.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I'm a fan of Deepspawn from one of the FR books. Lost Empires? Anyway: It's a big grabby ball of tentacles and teeth that can spawn exact copies of the critters it eats. Give it some people to eat and partner it with a an Illithid savant for something truly horrifying.