New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Unchained variants clashing - skill unlocks and consolidated skills

Fairly simple and yet so, so much to consider.
    Imagine running an Unchained Rogue in a Consolidated Skills system game.
    There are barely a dozen skills, and yet the rogue will eventually have to select several of them and gain additional abilities for them.
    I'm not asking for FAQs, RAW or such things (tho they might help if they exist), but more for how would you manage the interaction?
    Would you reduce the amount of skill unlocks the rogue gets or keep it the same? How would you apply it? Discuss.
    Last edited by Ediwir; Today at 10 sec after posting. We do not Preview.
    player registry
    Current PBF: checking for interest in Reign of Winter as DM.
    And the dwarf said, "How d'ya tell how old a Treehugger really is? Ya cut 'im down an' count the rings!". Everybody laughs, minus the elf.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Unchained variants clashing - skill unlocks and consolidated skills

Even if a rogue were to end up unlocking every skill in the game, what's the problem? Skills are still weak, and the Unchained Rogue being the best at using them is perfectly fine, imo. I would not reduce anything personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

It's more a problem of "the skills that Skill Unlocks refer to do not exist anymore, wat do". So far i considered just giving all the unlocks for the skills included in the consolidated version, but i wanted to see other opinions.
    After all making skills stronger IS what the consolidated skill system is about.
    Last edited by Ediwir; Today at 10 sec after posting. We do not Preview.
    player registry
    Current PBF: checking for interest in Reign of Winter as DM.
    And the dwarf said, "How d'ya tell how old a Treehugger really is? Ya cut 'im down an' count the rings!". Everybody laughs, minus the elf.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ediwir View Post
    It's more a problem of "the skills that Skill Unlocks refer to do not exist anymore, wat do". So far i considered just giving all the unlocks for the skills included in the consolidated version, but i wanted to see other opinions.
    After all making skills stronger IS what the consolidated skill system is about.
    If you agree with that (I do as well), then your first solution sounds like the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Unless I'm mistaken, there is no RAW for these systems clashing because they're two separate systems which are both alternate.

Just in case you do go looking and are disapointed.