New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Spammer on the roleplaying board

Hello,

I'm pretty new to the site, like a few weeks. Still a pixie, as you can see.

On the roleplaying main board, it appears there is some kind of spammer that keeps posting some Japanese text and a link to a website. I didn't count, but it appears he's taking up half the front page alone.

Now, the reason I mention my user level is because I tried to ignore him, and I confirmed and all, but I still see all his topics. Is my user level not high enough? Also, he should probably be banned.

Edit: Ah, I see now. It's blocking his posts, but his topics still show up. That's annoying.
    Last edited by Douche; 2015-11-23 at 10:39 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Spammer on the roleplaying board

Specifically, I'm seeing post like that from a swt3t6gdfvg on the "Finding Players (Recruitment)" forum. I'm not sure how to flag a potential spammer outside of pming the mods, but hopefully this will do the trick.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Use the report thread button on the bottom left of a post. It looks like a little, tiny ! in a triangle.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

The moderators' response to this type of thread is, and has been for as long as I can remember, along these lines:

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude
    Sheriff: While we realize that spam is annoying, and we appreciate that individual posters want to help in some way, I have repeatedly stated in Board Issues that the best thing you can do is report spam when you see it and go on about your business. Making additional threads here notifying us that there's a particularly large batch of spam somewhere, or that you have an idea for a global solution, is not helpful. It's just one more thing that we have to attend to.
    While I'm not a mod, that's Roland's ruling on the matter and has been for a long time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    The moderators' response to this type of thread is, and has been for as long as I can remember, along these lines:

While I'm not a mod, that's Roland's ruling on the matter and has been for a long time.
    That doesn't exactly apply here. Roland's response above is to people who already know about the report button and informing us here anyway, while the above posters didn't know about the button but now do.

At any rate, question was asked, question was answered, they now know, so thread closed.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak