New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Post My D&D Multiverse

World-building is one of my favourite parts of being a Dungeon Master, and as such I've ended up developing not just one setting, but an entire multiverse of interconnected worlds. This multiverse is entirely self-contained, with the potential for near-limitless adventure opportunities. Each setting has its own theme, making every world wildly different from the others. I've also decided to use a variety of D&D rulesets to create the various settings, with each edition having a few settings from which to choose. I've come up with many concepts which all the worlds share, many of which I will detail here:

THE MULTIVERSE
    Spoiler
    Show
    The multiverse is grouped together in a neat pattern, with the major worlds forming rings which surround the centremost world of Lanovus. Each world has its own coloured aura, which is typically invisible and intangible, though things such as the casting of a spell, for example, may produce light in that world's aura colour. The people of one setting, Vitrumund, have discovered their world's aura, which they call "magentia" due to its purplish-pink colour, and it is used as a renewable, clean energy source for the world's crystal-based technology.

THE AXIANS
    Spoiler
    Show
    In general, people of each setting do not realise that other worlds exist beyond their own; however, a small number of individuals are aware of this fact and may even visit other worlds. An ancient people known as the Axians is responsible for making sure that the multiverse is kept in balance, which includes making sure that the general populace does not know of other worlds, lest there be unfathomable chaos. The Axians hail from Axis, a mysterious world which exists as a separate part of Lanovus, and individuals of their culture can be found scattered across the multiverse as its protectors.

CELESTIAL BEINGS
    Spoiler
    Show
    Deities are portrayed a little differently in my settings. Rather than being all-powerful, omnipotent and omniscient beings, they are instead known as Celestial Beings, and were once mortals of the Material Plane and its echoes (more on those planes a bit later), who managed to find the path to ascension. The most important Celestial Beings occur in every world, though they are their own separate versions of those characters; Junihoshi's Marilina Silverblade, for example, is a different person from Terra Neos' Marilina, though they, and every other Marilina, share many similarities. Rather than worshipping them, people "revere" Celestial Beings, striving to live by the ideals they held when they were once mortal, and thus hoping to achieve a similar path to ascension.

KAIJU AND DAIKAIJU
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fiends and demons do not exist in my settings, instead replaced by alternative "big bad" threats which are often dependent on the setting. In many settings they are replaced by kaiju, reptilian and bestial abominations from another plane which typically come in five varieties, each one predisposed to a different alignment: the typically good-aligned, black and orange Raiforms; the typically evil-aligned, white and purple Shimoforms; the typically law-aligned, blue and yellow Denkiforms; the typically chaos-aligned, red and cyan Honoforms; and the typically neutral, green and magenta Dokuforms. Daikaiju are colossal variants of the standard kaiju varieties, and are even less humanoid by comparison...which isn't saying much.

DRAGONS
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dragons come in a wider variety than in most typical D&D settings. There are usually ten varieties each of chromatic and metallic dragons, and they don't typically fall into the same alignments as seen in base D&D. Each colour of dragon is paired with a counterpart which often has the same skills and breath as it does, and each pair of chromatic dragons has a "rival" pair of the metallic variety. Some differences occur with a few dragons in my settings, such as black (and orange) dragons possessing sonic breath, and green (and magenta) dragons having acid breath. Dragons have different personalities depending on their variety: chromatics are usually neutral loners who would rather spend their time away from civilisation in caves, whereas metallics have a much more open nature and often live in towns and cities, sometimes disguised as humanoids.

PLANES AND MAGIC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Each world has its own variations of the same basic planes: the Material Plane, which is the base world; the Realm of Summer, a vibrant, summery world which resembles its Material Plane; the Domain of Winter, a bleak, wintry land which also resembles its Material Plane; the Astral Sea, a starry, silky ocean which is the gateway to the Celestial Planes; and the Ethereal Expanse, a vast, misty plain of metal which leads to the twelve Elemental Planes. The other two planes are found within all lifeforms: the Essence of Naturia, which links together every person and creature in the world, and is where the embodiment of nature known as Naturia presides; and the Mindscape, a realm of logic which is unique to each individual, and is where their own aspects of thought, emotion and resolve converge. Each of the seven kinds of magic is associated with one of these planes: Celestial (Astral Sea), Elemental (Ethereal Expanse), Faerie (Realm of Summer), Shadow (Domain of Winter), Nature (Essence of Naturia), Psi (Mindscape) and base magic (Material Plane).

RACES OF THE WORLDS
    Spoiler
    Show
    The usual assortment of humans, dwarves, elves, halflings and gnomes exist in virtually every setting. In addition, there are many other races which exist; some are found in multiple worlds, and some are unique to one realm. Here are the most common races:

Human: Can be either a round-eared hom or a pointed-eared syl, though they are considered one and the same.
    Dwarf: Call themselves "dwarv". Can be either a common hill dwarf, an uncommon mountain dwarf or a rare grey dwarf.
    Elf: Call themselves "elv". Can be either a common high elf, an uncommon wood elf or a rare aquatic elf.
    Halfling: Call themselves "kindred". Can be a common lightfoot, an uncommon stout or a rare wild halfling.
    Gnome: Call themselves "noms". Can be a common forest gnome, an uncommon rock gnome or a rare deep gnome.

And there are several other races which are not as common, but still found in most, if not all, worlds:

Orcborn: Descendants of human and orc lineage who can fit into either society.
    Luminelv: Natives of the Realm of Summer. Often erroneously called "light elves" due to their elflike physiology.
    Oscurelv: Natives of the Domain of Winter. Often erroneously called "dark elves" due to their elflike physiology.
    Wyrmborn: Humanoids of unknown origin who possess draconic traits, they are different in every world.
    Kaijuko: Hybrids of human and kaiju traits, they come in many varieties. They replace tieflings in my settings.
    Celestial: Former immortals born into human families, they have strong celestial traits.
    Elemental: Former elemental genies born into human bodies, they are tied to the four core elements.

I'll post finer details about the various settings later on. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this preliminary detail about my multiverse! :)
    Last edited by Erik Woodhollow; 2016-01-12 at 10:50 PM.
    MY MAIN SETTINGS
    3.5: Thalasera, Sunayuki, Wyrmaria, Yume-Honto*
    4E: Dracromia-Metaligon, Zokugemina, Pentorbix, Frontier*
    Essentials: Junihoshi, Vitrumund, Astrumium, Terra Neos*
    5E: Incognes, Periquos, Kumorimbus, Panarcha*

*Uses one of two different rule systems

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: My D&D Multiverse

Looks fun! Easy read, too.

I find the idea of using different rulesets for different worlds intriguing. Are these sets compatible with each other (I assume they are, otherwise planar travel would be impossible)? What are the differences?

Also, are the planes (like Summer and Winter and such) different per world, or do all the worlds share the same planes (allowing them maybe to function as portals between the worlds)? I also like the idea of each individual having his own 'planes'. You've probably already made some nice spells to invade someone's Mindscape.

Finally, have there been many 'nom nom' jokes?
    Get on Stage: www.stage-rpg.com

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Exclamation Re: My D&D Multiverse

Quote Originally Posted by Nobot View Post
    Looks fun! Easy read, too.
    Thank you!

I find the idea of using different rulesets for different worlds intriguing. Are these sets compatible with each other (I assume they are, otherwise planar travel would be impossible)? What are the differences?
    It's certainly possible to travel between worlds, although the practice is almost entirely unknown. In any case, it's easiest to travel between worlds which share similar laws of physics (in other words, which share the same edition). In fact, I'm aiming to start a campaign next year for my best friend, which will take place in one of my 3.5 settings, and at some point his character's quest will lead her to another of my 3.5 settings. Crossovers are also semi-common in the fiction I've been writing based on these worlds.

Also, are the planes (like Summer and Winter and such) different per world, or do all the worlds share the same planes (allowing them maybe to function as portals between the worlds)?
    Since each world is basically in its own universe, each one has its own sets of these basic planes. There may be a few demiplanes which are shared between all universes, and even some planes which defy the laws of being a part of any universe; the Kaiju Dimension, for example, is a plane which is not locked to any universe, but which may still occasionally connect with any world in order to allow the passage of kaiju to and from that alien realm.

I also like the idea of each individual having his own 'planes'. You've probably already made some nice spells to invade someone's Mindscape.
    Well, any psionic-based class is able to directly affect the Mindscape of others, and indeed the power of Psi magic itself is drawn directly from the Mindscape of whomever uses it. So if you play a psion (renamed "esper" in my settings), you're already fully-equipped to mess with the minds of your enemies!

Finally, have there been many 'nom nom' jokes?
    Well, gnomes rarely refer to themselves as simply "nom". Instead, all gnomes have specific names for the three subraces: Chromanoms for the brightly-coloured-haired forest gnomes; Glimmanoms for the metallic-hued-haired rock gnomes; and Undanoms for the monochrome-haired, Subterrene-dwelling deep gnomes.

However, one of the major characters of the series Crystals of Silveria is a gnome bard whose full name is Broccoli "Brocc" Choy Verdann Svetlana Asparagustus (and at least 20 other middle names) Farshot, and he often makes references to food or eating. One of his counterparts in the upcoming series Shell of Thal, another gnome bard known simply as "Sven", is the only member of his ship's crew who actually enjoys the cook's bland food, and scoffs whatever his shipmates don't eat in a few seconds flat. Yeah, there seems to be a running gag of food-obsessed gnomes in my series...
    Last edited by Erik Woodhollow; 2015-11-24 at 05:37 PM.
    MY MAIN SETTINGS

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Well, this certainly sounds like a lot of fun, albeit quite a project. I like the Kaiju plane's (seemingly?) randomly connecting with the other planes from time to time. And Broccoli noms are always good (the name 'Svetlana' seems a bit out of place in that sequence, though! But then again, I know a guy whose middle name is 'Maria').

A guy's gotta ask though, what's the other system you're using? I know one is D&D 3.5, but I'm keen to hear what the other is!
    Get on Stage: www.stage-rpg.com

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, this certainly sounds like a lot of fun, albeit quite a project. I like the Kaiju plane's (seemingly?) randomly connecting with the other planes from time to time.
    For the most part, I've created each setting in a way that makes it self-contained, with multiverse-travel completely optional (not to mention up to the DM's discretion, which is usually myself). Many of the settings are currently in a pre-planning stage, with only a few at a point which I'd consider playable.

And Broccoli noms are always good (the name 'Svetlana' seems a bit out of place in that sequence, though! But then again, I know a guy whose middle name is 'Maria').
    Another running gag is that a lot of Brocc's middle names don't make sense. The name Verdann was given to him after the patron Celestial Being of the wood elves, and Svetlana...well, that was a name given to him by a practical joker uncle of his.

A guy's gotta ask though, what's the other system you're using? I know one is D&D 3.5, but I'm keen to hear what the other is!
    Let me give you a rundown of the settings of each ruleset:

1E: Yume-Honto*, Hyakuopolis and The Known Realm
    2E: Frontier*, Feruyasei and Tankensei
    d20M: Terra Neos*, Tabitineris and Clefmath (working name)
    RC: Panarcha*, Mekharatus and Nulmahou
    3.5: Thalasera, Sunayuki, Wyrmaria and Yume-Honto*
    4E: Dracromia-Metaligon, Zokugemina, Pentorbix and Frontier*
    Essentials: Junihoshi, Vitrumund, Astrumium and Terra Neos*
    5E: Incognes, Periquos, Kumorimbus and Panarcha*

As you can see, I make use of a variety of rules systems, and the starred settings even have two variants, for those who prefer earlier editions of the game.
    Last edited by Erik Woodhollow; 2016-01-13 at 03:21 PM.
    MY MAIN SETTINGS

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Post Re: My D&D Multiverse

Each of my settings has its own themes which set it apart from the others. Some worlds which share similar themes are grouped together into triangles of three (or more) universes, which are detailed below:

1st Edition Settings (and to a lesser extent Thalasera)
    Theme:
    Tropes
    Settings: Yume-Honto (manga and anime), Hyakuopolis (science-fiction) and The Known Realm (high fantasy); plus Thalasera (seafaring adventure)

2nd Edition Settings (and to a lesser extent Dracromia-Metaligon)
    Theme:
    Genres
    Settings: Frontier (western), Feruyasei (monsters) and Tankensei (historical); plus Dracromia-Metaligon (pulp fantasy)

d20 Modern Settings (and to a lesser extent Junihoshi)
    Theme:
    Eras
    Settings: Terra Neos (contemporary), Tabitineris (far future) and Clefmath (classical); plus Junihoshi (medieval)

Rules Cyclopedia Settings (and to a lesser extent Incognes)
    Theme:
    Fantasy races
    Settings: Panarcha (halflings), Mekharatus (dwarves) and Nulmahou (elves); plus Incognes (gnomes)

D&D v.3.5 Settings (and to a lesser extent Panarcha)
    Theme:
    Base classes
    Settings: Thalasera (rogue, bard and ranger), Sunayuki (cleric, druid and barbarian) and Wyrmaria (wizard, sorcerer and paladin); plus Panarcha (fighter and monk)

4th Edition Settings (and to a lesser extent Terra Neos)
    Theme:
    Worlds
    Settings: Dracromia-Metaligon (alternate realities), Zokugemina (dual societies) and Pentorbix (planetary system); plus Terra Neos (other dimensions)

D&D Essentials Settings (and to a lesser extent Frontier)
    Theme:
    Knowledge
    Settings: Junihoshi (lore), Vitrumund (science) and Astrumium (technology); plus Frontier (discovery)

5th Edition Settings (and to a lesser extent Yume-Honto)
    Theme:
    Popular themes
    Settings: Incognes (magic), Periquos (time travel) and Kumorimbus (sky adventures); plus Yume-Honto (Asian fantasy)
    Last edited by Erik Woodhollow; 2016-01-13 at 03:24 PM.
    MY MAIN SETTINGS

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

And now for the finer details of some of the individual settings themselves. The first world which we'll explore is Yume-Honto, so let's get right to it, shall we?

Yume-Honto
    Edition:
    D&D v.3.5 (with 1st Edition variant)
    Themes: Anime and manga tropes, asian fantasy
    Aura colour: Metallic chartreuse

Spoiler: Introduction
    Show
    The party wanders through the Orochinogin Forest in search of its mysterious amaigaichu protectors. An eclectic group consisting of Ryoko, a samurai of an ancient imperial order; Midori, a mori elven yumesaishi of Hareda-Ryuu; Shin "Bearmouth" Kumakuchi, an inu-hito who recently broke out and gained sorcerer powers; and Gav Songfeather, a rogue from far-off lands untouched by the Yume; they silently stalk through the dream-twisted woods in search of their target. Suddenly, a loud rustling is heard in the nearby trees, and an enormous, silvery serpent bursts forth at the heroes, ready to strike - a child of the great Orochinogin herself!

In the world of Yume-Honto, the realm of dreams has overlayed onto reality, resulting in a bizarre mish-mash of what exists in imagination and what exists outside the body. Each of the two extremes exists across the world in a bizarre patchwork, with dream-touched areas known as the Yume, and lands currently not imbued with dreamstuff known as the Honto. When the Yume is present in a region, reality itself warps and bends into a state not unlike that of the richest dreams, and bizarre creatures appear and venture into the world, sometimes even ending up stranded if the land returns to a Honto state.

Much of Yume-Honto has advanced to a state of great technological achievement, with futuristic cities in many parts of the globe, and most of the ancient traditions had long since been forgotten from mortal minds, and along with them were lost stories of spirits of every description, from many-tailed foxes of infinite knowledge to enormous raccoons with likeable personalities, and even an immortal bird who burned brighter than the sun. With the advent of the Yume, however, these spirits have been made tangible, as have every other place and creature which has ever been dreamt.

Spoiler: Races and Classes
    Show
    Yume-Honto has a large number of character options, many of which are exclusive to this setting. Some races and classes are influenced by, or directly born of, the Yume, and as such are exclusive to this setting.

RACES OF THE HONTO
    ●Human - round-eared "honto-miru" and pointed-eared "yume-kiku"
    ●Dwarf - call themselves "dwarv"; subraces include common oka dwarves, uncommon yama dwarves and rare haiiro dwarves
    ●Elf - call themselves "elv"; subraces include common takai elves, uncommon mori elves and rare umi elves
    ●Halfling - call themselves "kindred"; subraces include common sodai halflings, uncommon genki halflings and rare yasei halflings
    ●Gnome - call themselves "noms"; subraces include common iro gnomes, uncommon kinzoku gnomes and rare chika gnomes
    ●Orcborn
    ●Amaigaichu - a race of rodentfolk which are based on the concept of cute mascots and sidekicks in anime and manga, such as Pikachu, Winged Kuriboh and Gatomon

RACES OF THE YUME
    ●Ryuunoko - a race of humanoid dragons descended from humans who were transformed when they explored the deepest parts of the Yume and encountered the twin dragon Yumenogami known as Hareda-Ryuu and Getsuei-Ryuu.
    ●Kitsu-Onna - a race of long-lived women with fox-like traits and great intelligence, they are descended from people who were imbued with the essence of the Yumenogami known as Kitsune
    ●Tanu-Otoko - a race of long-lived men with raccoon-like traits and great charisma, they are descended from people who were imbued with the essence of the Yumenogami known as Tanuki
    ●Inuhito - a race of long-lived people with canine traits, they are descended from people who were imbued with the essence of the Yumenogami known as Inuokami. Only one in four inuhito is female.
    ●Nekojin - a race of long-lived people with feline traits, they are descended from people who were imbued with the essence of the Yumenogami known as Nekotora. Only one in four nekojin is male.

RACES OF THE KOETE (THE BEYOND)
    ●Celestial
    ●Elemental
    ●Kaijuko - generally more common in Yume-Honto than in most other worlds
    ●Hikarinoko (lumidelv) - often erroneously called "hikari elves" by other races
    ●Yaminoko (oscurelv) - often erroneously called "yami elves" by other races

WARRIOR CLASSES
    ●Samurai
    ●Warrior (Fighter)
    ●Barbarian
    ●Monk - known as "sohei" in this setting
    ●Paladin - much more common in lands untouched by the Yume
    ●Ranger
    ●Knight - much more common in lands untouched by the Yume

CELESTIAL CLASSES
    ●Yumesaishi - literally means "dream priest"; a cleric who reveres one of the Yumenogami (uses the Shugenja class from Complete Divine)
    ●Priest - sometimes called a "saishi"; a cleric who reveres a Celestial Being as in other worlds
    ●Druid

EXPERT CLASSES
    ●Ninja - individual ninja are referred to as "kunoichi" if female and "shinobi" if male
    ●Thief (Rogue)
    ●Bard

MAGIC CLASSES
    ●Hontomahou - literally means "real mage"; a wizard who draws their magic directly from the Honto (uses the Wu Jen class from Complete Arcane)
    ●Mage - sometimes called a "mahou"; a regular wizard as in other worlds
    ●Sorcerer

Spoiler: Yume-Honto Pantheons
    Show
    Yume-Honto boasts two complete pantheons, one of Celestial Beings and one of mysterious spirits known as the Yumenogami. In general, races of the Yume revere Yumenogami, whereas peoples of the Honto revere Celestial Beings, though it is not uncommon for individuals to show reverence for examples of both pantheons, and in many cases it is actively encouraged.

CELESTIAL BEINGS
    ●Marilina - once a human knight, and generally revered by humans
    ●Gorlark - once an orcborn barbarian, and generally revered by orcborn
    ●Alistair - once an oka dwarf priest, and generally revered by dwarves
    ●Helga - once a yama dwarf warrior, and generally revered by dwarves
    ●Emerria - once a takai elf mage, and generally revered by elves
    ●Verdann - once a mori elf ranger, and generally revered by elves
    ●Rhyanna - once a sodai thief, and generally revered by halflings
    ●Sheamus - once a genki druid, and generally revered by halflings
    ●Sbenmor - once an iro gnome bard, and generally revered by gnomes
    ●Tinkertinn - once a kinzoku gnome sorcerer, and generally revered by gnomes
    ●Shienna - once a hikarinoko paladin, and generally revered by hikarinoko
    ●Nocturnus - once a yaminoko ninja, and generally revered by yaminoko

YUMENOGAMI
    ●Hareda-Ryuu - a golden dragoness and one of a pair of twins, she is said to embody the sun and the day
    ●Getsuei-Ryuu - a silvery dragon and one of a pair of twins, he is said to embody the moon and the night
    ●Kaentori - resembles a phoenix, it is said to embody life, and some say it can gift those who are deserving with long life
    ●Kappa - said to embody wisdom, it enjoys long conversations and shares ancient stories with those who find it
    ●Kitsune - resembles a fox, she is said to embody knowledge and will grant others golden irises and a great intellect
    ●Tanuki - resembles a raccoon, he is said to embody personality and will grant others a silver tongue and great charisma
    ●Inuokami - resembles a wolf, he is said to embody strength and will grant others greater resilience and might
    ●Nekotora - resembles a tiger, she is said to embody agility and will grant others greater dexterity and swiftness

Stay tuned for more information!
    Last edited by Erik Woodhollow; 2015-12-04 at 04:24 AM.
    MY MAIN SETTINGS

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

In this post, I'll discuss details about the Outer Ring world of Incognes, a futuristic land in which magic is studied as a form of science.

Incognes
    Edition:
    5th Edition
    Themes: Magic as science, gnome ingenuity
    Aura colour: Purple

Introduction to Incognes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jard, a young individual, steps out into the busy city centre, a breather strapped over his face to regulate the airflow entering his lungs. As he walks down the street, he thinks to himself about the payout he'll receive for demonstrating his skills to the mahologists; after all, it's rare to see one so skilled in the use of magic. Jard looks up into the violet-tinged sky, watching a flock of pigeons fly overhead.

As he examines their flight patterns, a wyvern swoops down from its perch atop a skyscraper and swallows one of the birds whole, causing the flock to scatter! Jard chuckles, before reaching into his pocket and pulling out his chosen implement. "Finally," he says out loud, "I haven't had any action all day!" Jard points his wand at the wyvern and gets its attention. As the beast looks down at him, Jard calls out to it. "Hey, wyvern! Have a little taste of my magic missile, dialled up to 11!"

Incognes is a society driven by science, with virtually everything categorised into great fields of study. The newest addition to academia is Mahology, a science which is, in actuality, an ancient art form long since lost to the ages. In Incognes' past, magic was commonplace, but for reasons unknown in today's world, the practice was almost entirely lost. Though certain sources of magic still existed, they were in a greatly reduced capacity; celestial magic had been reduced to minor healing abilities used mainly by physicians, whilst psi magic occurred randomly in individuals, and it was commonly believed that only they could use such powers. Neither skill was known as "magic", however, with the watered-down celestial and psi abilities known as "recuper" and "neuro" skills, respectively.

Since the (re)discovery of the source of base magic almost a century ago, however, the arcane arts have gradually been restored. The word "magic" has long since been forgotten, however, with the most commonly used analogue being the Draconic word "mahou". Since then, the practices of several other forms of magic have been rediscovered, which are known as "naturie" (Nature), "pyxelie" (Faerie), "shadelie" (Shadow) and "telenic" (Elemental), and both recuper and neuro skills are now officially registered as forms of magic.

Many of the most common races of the multiverse can also be found in Incognes, including dwarves, elves, halflings, orcborn and this world's wyrmborn, the draeros. Gnomes, however, are mostly responsible for the way the world has been shaped, with repeated breakthroughs in science and technology that have completely revolutionised everything. Once long ago, the world was in a bad way, a dystopian realm on the verge of environmental ruin. In just a few short centuries, however, the gnomes had managed to turn everything around, with the environment restored and the air clean once again, and all technology running on a renewable, environmentally-friendly energy source. This has resulted in the side-effect of the atmosphere in cities and towns becoming too enriched with high concentrations of breathable air, meaning people usually need to wear specialised breathers when outdoors in cities to avoid conditions such as hypoxia.

Races of Incognes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Incognes features a number of different races. Dwarves, elves and halflings are typically reclusive, with humans and gnomes being the most common people found in the world.

COMMON RACES OF INCOGNES
    Humans are one of the most common cultures of the world. Both round-eared homonids and pointed-eared syl live in great high-tech cities and towns, and are the one race which is almost solely dependent on science and technology for survival. Humans are usually the ones who focus on the sciences, with research into the different fields of mahology the main focus of much of today's research.

Gnomes are usually found amongst humans, and are responsible for most technological breakthroughs. Both forest gnomes and rock gnomes are equally as populous, with forest gnomes responsible for maintaining the environment and rock gnomes for keeping track of the technology upon which many people rely. Forest gnomes call themselves "chromanoms", whereas rock gnomes refer to themselves as "glimmanoms"

The draeros are a race of humanoid dragons who exist atop Incognes' high mountain ranges, though some can be found in human-gnome lands taking on sky-high careers as pilots, executives or skyscraper window cleaners. They adore heights, and have even developed wing-flaps on their arms which they can use to glide, a feat achievable thanks to their light, though tough, frames.

UNCOMMON RACES OF INCOGNES

●Dwarf - Most commonly reclusive mountain dwarves, or "mondwarv", though some outlying settlements are home to friendly hill dwarves, or "hildwarv".
    ●Elf - Most commonly reclusive wood elves, or "verdelv", though some outlying settlements are home to friendly high elves, or "altidelv".
    ●Halfling - Most commonly reclusive stouts, or "Broadkin", though some outlying settlements are home to friendly lightfoots, or "Greatkin".
    ●Orcborn - Descended from humans and orcs. Often found in outlying settlements and orc tribes. Orcs often call them "weaklings", a name they also use for humans.
    ●Deep Gnomes - Also known as "undanoms", a reclusive monochromatic gnome variant found in the mysterious underground realm known as the Subterrene.
    ●Automaton - Mysterious constructs of unknown origin and mysterious design, they are born from dome-shaped factories known as "eggs" which are found in certain parts of the world.
    ●Avi - A race of bird people with long lifespans, they often share territory with draeros.

RACES OF OTHER PLANES

●Celestial
    ●Elemental
    ●Kaijuko
    ●Luminelv - Often erroneously called "light elves" by other races.
    ●Oscurelv - Often erroneously called "dark elves" by other races.

Celestial Beings of Incognes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like most worlds, Incognes has its share of Celestial Beings who reside in the Celestial Planes, and the study of Celestiology includes sub-fields relating to each one; this means that they are usually only "revered" from a purely academic standpoint.

CELESTIAL BEINGS
    ●Marilina - Once a homonid human paladin, and occasionally revered by humans.
    ●Norm - Once a syl human esper, and occasionally revered by humans.
    ●Kedakai - Once a draeros monk, and occasionally revered by draeros.
    ●Gorlark - Once an orcborn barbarian, and often revered by orcborn.
    ●Alistair - Once a hill dwarf cleric, and occasionally revered by dwarves.
    ●Helga - Once a mountain dwarf fighter, and often revered by mountain dwarves.
    ●Emerria - Once a high elf wizard, and occasionally revered by elves.
    ●Verdann - Once a wood elf ranger, and often revered by wood elves.
    ●Rhyanna - Once a lightfoot rogue, and occasionally revered by halflings.
    ●Sheamus - Once a stout druid, and often revered by halflings.
    ●Sbenmor - Once a forest gnome bard, and occasionally revered by gnomes.
    ●Tinkertinn - Once a rock gnome sorcerer, and occasionally revered by gnomes.
    ●Shienna - Once a luminelv paladin, and generally revered by light elves.
    ●Nocturnus - Once an oscurelv monk, and generally revered by dark elves.

Last edited by Erik Woodhollow; 2015-12-16 at 06:36 AM.
    MY MAIN SETTINGS

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

In this post, I'll discuss details about the Inner Ring world of Terra Neos, a planet forever separated into two distinct realms: a contemporary-era setting completely devoid of its own magic, and a land of fantasy where magic flows freely.

Terra Neos
    Edition:
    d20 Modern (with D&D Essentials variant)
    Themes: Contemporary era, dual dimensions
    Aura colour: Metallic Cyan

Introduction to Terra Neos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taylor signs the form, then places the pen neatly onto the sales rep's desk. "Come with me," says the rep, leading the young man out of the office. Taylor follows the rep to just outside the dealership, where his shiny new motorcycle is waiting. "She's all yours," says the rep, "so here are the keys." Taylor snatches the jingling keys from the rep's hand. Taylor takes his new ride for a spin, racing through the city streets; now he can easily weave through traffic and avoid cars and trucks, whereas before he would often get stuck in traffic at this hour.

As dusk approaches, Taylor drives up to a secret clearing beside a stretch of road on the city limits. He dismounts his bike and removes his helmet, placing it on the handlebar. He walks into the middle of the clearing, his preferred spot for sightshifting into the fantastic realm. He stands still, closes his eyes and focuses. As he opens them, he shifts through the intangible barrier separating both realms. As he does so, his outfit changes from motorcycle leathers to garb appropriate for a realm of fantasy. Taylor's adventuring companions, a dwarf, an elf, an orcborn and a kaijuko, stand waiting. The kaijuko, Visarria, yells at him. "Where were you?! Those gobbos aren't gonna defeat themselves!" Taylor smiles, "Sorry, guys, I was...acquiring a new mount."

The world of Terra is actually two distinct realms, with one being much like our own world, and the other a fantasy realm of adventure. This split actually occurred centuries prior, when a mistake created an invisible barrier of pure magic. Oracles prophesied the arrival of the barrier and the disappearance of humanity, so steps were taken to prevent its creation. However, the very measures used to stop the barrier from being formed had the reverse effect, bringing it into being and duplicating the world, causing half the world's human population to become stranded on the copy. The Celestial Being Marilina managed to send a possible solution to the stranded humans, planting the seeds of what would eventually bring those people home.

After much time had passed, some humans of the mundane realm began to exhibit the ability to shift through the barrier and into their ancestral home in the fantastic realm. Such people are known as "sightshifters", and can freely transition between both worlds, an effect which the enchantment cast by Marilina was not intended to grant. It seems the centuries living in a world without magic have changed these people far more than Marilina could have anticipated.

Races of Terra Neos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Terra Neos boasts its share of fantasy races. The mundane realm has just one race: the round-eared Territe humans. The fantastic realm, however, has a higher number of races of fantasy, including the pointed-eared syl humans, plus the usual assortment of dwarves, elves, halflings, gnomes and others, which are the source behind many of the mundane realm's legends and mythology.

COMMON RACES OF TERRA NEOS
    Like most worlds, humans are generally the most populous, though each realm has a different ratio. The mundane realm is home to the Territes, humans with round ears who have no experience with real magic, though a few gain the ability to sightshift between realms. The syl, meanwhile, are the humans of the fantastic realm, and have developed ears with slight points. A few Territes also exist in the fantastic realm, descended from sightshifters who opted to remain there.

Dwarves hail from the Mountain Lands, the fantastic realm counterpart of the continent of South Solumia, and as such are adapted to life in a rugged environment. The most common variety there is the mountain dwarf, or "mondwarv", with a number of hill dwarves, or "hildwarv", having settled in the Neos Lands.

Elves are natives of the Forest Lands, the fantastic realm counterpart of the continent of North Solumia, and as such are adapted to life in a lush environment. The most common variety there is the wood elf, or "verdelv", with a number of high elves, or "altidelv", having settled in the Neos Lands.

Halflings hail from the Verdant Lands, the fantastic realm counterpart of the continent of Pura, and as such are adapted to life in a tranquil environment. The most common variety there is the stout, or "Broadkin", with a number of lightfoots, or "Greatkin", having settled in the Neos Lands.

Gnomes hail from the same places as dwarves and elves, with rock gnomes most commonly found in the Mountain Lands, and forest gnomes most often seen in the Forest Lands. Both varieties have also settled in the Neos Lands, and usually live in dwarven or elven territory.

Orcborn have human and orc ancestry, and as such are often found in the Arid Lands, the fantastic realm counterpart of the continent of Mundhart. Many orcborn can be found living in the Neos Lands, though very few pure orcs exist there, instead opting to live in their native homeland.

The wyrmborn are a race of humanoid dragons who can be found across the fantastic realm. They come in multiple colours, one for each kind of chromatic dragon variety, and each kind is most commonly found in a different part of the land.

RACES OF OTHER PLANES

●Celestial
    ●Elemental
    ●Kaijuko

Celestial Beings of Incognes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Terra Neos has a pantheon of Celestial Beings, though none of them has any particular connection with the mundane realm. Naturia, the embodiment of nature, seems to be present in both realms, however, meaning there is still someone watching over the Territe-populated world.

CELESTIAL BEINGS
    ●Marilina - Once a homonid human paladin, and typically revered by humans.
    ●Norm - Once a syl human esper, and typically revered by humans.
    ●Kedakai - Once a wyrmborn monk, and typically revered by wyrmborn.
    ●Gorlark - Once an orcborn barbarian, and typically revered by orcborn.
    ●Alistair - Once a hill dwarf cleric, and typically revered by dwarves.
    ●Helga - Once a mountain dwarf fighter, and typically revered by dwarves.
    ●Emerria - Once a high elf wizard, and typically revered by elves.
    ●Verdann - Once a wood elf ranger, and typically revered by elves.
    ●Rhyanna - Once a lightfoot rogue, and typically revered by halflings.
    ●Sheamus - Once a stout druid, and typically revered by halflings.
    ●Sbenmor - Once a forest gnome bard, and typically revered by gnomes.
    ●Tinkertinn - Once a rock gnome sorcerer, and typically revered by gnomes.
    ●Shienna - Once a luminelv paladin, and generally revered by light elves.
    ●Nocturnus - Once an oscurelv monk, and generally revered by dark elves.

Last edited by Erik Woodhollow; 2015-12-16 at 07:17 PM.
    MY MAIN SETTINGS

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

How much hours of work did you put in this? And where did you get most of your inspiration?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Honestly, I've lost track of how many hours have been spent bringing this multiverse to life. I first started the project almost three years ago, and over time it's slowly grown and refined into its current form. The biggest change recently involved switching the locations of a few universes in order to provide a better fit for them and their respective themes and editions.

As for inspiration, I borrow a fair amount from D&D as a whole, and a number of the themes are loosely based on ones which already exist (Frontier, for example, is a fantasy-inspired take on a Western-themed setting), but for the most part I try to keep things as original as possible; aside from some of the races and creatures common in a lot of fantasy and folklore (dwarves, elves, orcs etc.), most creatures are entirely made-up, and D&D-licensed monsters and entities are generally absent. Even the world names are mostly ones I've made up, to the point where I would often Google a name to see if it has any search results; if there are 0 results, it's a perfect fit.

Speaking of setting names, they mostly use combinations of words from the Japanese and Latin languages (though some of them borrow from other languages as well), such as Zokugemina, which combines the Japanese word for "clan" or "tribe" with a Latin word for "twin".
    Last edited by Erik Woodhollow; 2015-12-26 at 12:47 AM.
    MY MAIN SETTINGS

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Very nice, mate. Salutations to your creativity.
    I always wanted to create my own world, and I have some ideas but always was blocked with time, especially now (two kids).
    And off course do I start outside in, or inside out

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Lightbulb Re: My D&D Multiverse

I've started work on a built-in minigame, which is tentatively known as Rainbow Axis. It's a simple card-based game, and is played in most, if not every, world of the multiverse. As such, there are minor rules differences depending on the universe, which would be implemented in the actual game as a form of house ruling. There would also be some cards which exist only in one or a few universes, and the cards can even change appearance if their owner manages to travel to another world!

Quote Originally Posted by Manyasone View Post
    Very nice, mate. Salutations to your creativity.
    Thank you!
    I always wanted to create my own world, and I have some ideas but always was blocked with time, especially now (two kids).
    Yeah, I often have a lot of free time on my hands, hence the reason I'm able to work on such an endeavour.
    And off course do I start outside in, or inside out
    That I really can't answer. For a lot of my settings I pretty much think of everything at once, and I just fill in gaps with new ideas as I work on each one.
    MY MAIN SETTINGS

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm tackling languages in a semi-unconventional way. Because there is such a diversity in real-world languages and dialects, I've decided to use some of them as inspiration for my multiverse's many languages. Like most D&D settings, Common is based on real-world English, with virtually the same alphabet used as a written form. Other languages are based on some from the real world, though their alphabets are made-up; the Orc, Giant, Gnoll, Kobold and Goblin languages are common amongst those races, but they currently don't have real-world inspirations. The Celestial and Elemental languages also lack real-world roots, due to their extraplanar nature.

There are two main dialects of Dwarvish. The most common is simply known as Dwarvish, or Dwarv (pronounced "dvarv" or "duarv"), and is the language spoken by both hill and mountain dwarves; its real-world root language is Norwegian, with a little bit of Scottish Gaelic sprinkled throughout. The less-common dialect is Mind Dwarvish, or Scholgar (pronounced "SKOL-gar"), and is the native tongue of the intelligent mind dwarves; its real-world root language is Swedish.

Like Dwarvish, there are two main dialects of Elvish. The most common variety is called Elvish, True Elvish or Elv (pronounced exactly as it looks), and is spoken by both high and wood elves; its real-world root language is Italian. The other, less-common dialect is known as Sea Elvish, or Maridelv (pronounced "MAH-rih-delv"), and is the primary language of the elusive sea elves; its real-world root language is Greek.

The Halfling, or Kinspeak, language is spoken by all three varieties of halfling: lightfoot, stout and wild, though the latter subrace prefers communicating with others using telepathy, which they refer to as Scapechatter. The Kinspeak language is based on real-world Welsh. Gnomish has three dialects, with each one spoken by one of the three varieties of gnome: Chromanom is spoken by forest gnomes, and is based on real-world Dutch; Glimmanom is the tongue of rock gnomes, and is based on real-world Danish; and Undanom (pronounced "UN-dah-nom") is the native dialect of the deep gnomes, and is based on real-world German.

Five other languages have real-world sources: Luminelv (pronounced "LOO-mih-nelv") is the primary language of the light elves, and its root language is real-world French; Oscurelv (pronounced "OSS-kyoo-relv") is the main tongue of the dark elves, and is based on real-world Spanish; Draconic is the language of the various kinds of wyrmborn, as well as dragons, and is based on real-world Japanese; Sylvan is the voice that echoes throughout the natural world, and is based on real-world Irish Gaelic; and the oft-unknown and enigmatic Axian language is based on real-world Latin.
    Last edited by Erik Woodhollow; 2016-01-12 at 11:37 PM.
    MY MAIN SETTINGS

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

In this post, I'll talk about the first full setting I ever created, the Outer Ring world of Dracromia-Metaligon, a place which exists as two distinct versions of itself.

Dracromia-Metaligon
    Edition:
    4th Edition
    Themes: Alternate realities, pulp fantasy
    Aura colour: Red

Introduction to Dracromia-Metaligon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ocre, a red drachomus from a backwater town in Akanius, wanders through the harsh desert sands. Were it not for her dragonlike hardiness, she would have collapsed from exhaustion hours ago; nonetheless, she has a mission to do. Armed only with her trusty sword and a bag of simple provisions, she makes her way deep into Aoinian territory. At last, she reaches the grand capital of the empire, the great city of Aoinias, home to the empress Aoin herself. Ocre is stopped by two blue drachomus guards. "What business have you in our great city?" Ocre stands her ground, ready to defend herself if the need presents itself. "Please," she implores the guards, "I have to pass on a message to the Empress." "A message?" questions one guard, "What could Akanian scum like yourself possibly have to tell OUR great Empress?" Ocre pleads to the guards, "You must grant me an audience! Your empire is under threat!" "We don't want to hear your meaningless babble," says the other guard, "so turn around and go back to the stinking cesspool you come from!"

Ocre, a gold drachomus from an isolated community in Akanius, wanders through the harsh desert sands. Were it not for her dragonlike hardiness, she would have collapsed from exhaustion hours ago; nonetheless, she has a mission to do. Armed only with a celestial symbol of the Red Dragon and a bag of simple provisions, she makes her way deep into Aoinian territory. At last, she reaches the grand capital of the nation, the great city of Aoinias, home to the Grand Ministress Aoin herself. Ocre is stopped by two silver drachomus guards. "What business have you in our great city?" Ocre bows to the guards in a courteous manner. "Greetings," she says to the guards, "I have important papers for the Grand Ministress Aoin." "Important papers?" questions one guard, "What document could be so important that you had to hand-deliver it instead of transporting it directly to us?!" Ocre smiles, "I am afraid it is need-to-know only. I hope you understand." "Of course, say no more," says the other guard, gesturing Ocre to follow her, "please come with us, ambassador Ocre."

Dracromia and Metaligon are two versions of the same world, and each is both similar and different in equal measure. Dracromia is a world of (for lack of a better word) war, with fifteen Drachomus Empires at odds with one another. This power struggle has existed for as long as anyone can remember, and scuffles often break out between factions. Metaligon, however, is a place of (for lack of a better word) peace, and disputes between the fifteen Drachomus Nations are resolved through diplomacy. Everyone in this setting has an equal opposite in the other world, and those parallels can come in many forms; a young, psychically-minded esper in Dracromia may be a nature-revering druid in Metaligon; whereas a good-hearted general in Dracromia may be a corrupt diplomat in Metaligon. In a few rare cases, both counterparts are virtually identical, which, needless to say, cannot be fully explained. Only a handful of people realise that their world exists as two sides of the same coin, so most don't even get the opportunity to visit their realm's counterpart.

Aside from humans, the humanoid dragons known as the drachomi (singular "drachomus") are the most populous of the world's races. Each world has sixteen varieties, with chromatic drachomi in Dracromia and metallic drachomi in Metaligon. It is rare for chromatic drachomi of different colours to completely get along, most likely due to the centuries-long animosity between the Drachomus Empires. Likewise, it is rare for a metallic drachomus to be outright hostile towards drachomi of other metallic hues, no doubt due to the fact that the Drachomus Nations have been more-or-less on good terms for centuries. Rare crystal drachomi exist in both worlds, and are the result of a genetic mutation in an otherwise perfectly healthy hatchling, sort of like an albino colouration in other species. Their occurrence can be seen as an omen or a blessing depending on culture and world.

Humans are found throughout drachomus lands, though they originated far away in the independent land of Munthrek, a place they share with the halflings and orcborn, as well as hill dwarves and high elves. Dwarves hail from the land of Tundarus, and share their home with kobolds (in Dracromia) or gnomes (in Metaligon), plus a few homonid humans. They often come into contact with the giants, though both races prefer to remain independent of one another; a few giants, however, are outright hostile to dwarves and others, and tend to attack on sight. Elves originated in the land of Wievalia, and coexist with gnomes (in Dracromia) or goblins (in Metaligon), plus a few syl humans. Gnolls also exist in this land, though they generally remain in isolated communities with little elven contact; a number of gnolls, however, are savage brutes who delight in causing trouble for elves and others.

Races of Dracromia-Metaligon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dracromia-Metaligon features a multitude of cultures, which are detailed below.

COMMON RACES OF DRACROMIA-METALIGON
    Humans are one of the world's most common races, and originated in the distant land of Munthrek. Humans can also be found in drachomus lands, though they tend to stay out of the affairs of the various colours of drachomi.

The drachomi are the wyrmborn of Dracromia-Metaligon, and are the other most populous race. Each world has fifteen official varieties of drachomus, each with a counterpart in the other world. Red, blue, green, white, black, cyan, yellow, magenta, purple, orange, chartreuse, pink, azure, aqua and grey drachomi are found in Dracromia, whereas gold, silver, copper, brass, bronze, iron, cobalt, wealdium, platinum, adamant, steel, roseite, quicksilver, zinc and tin drachomi are found in Metaligon. Crystal drachomi are a rare genetic mutation which occurs randomly amongst every kind of drachomus.

UNCOMMON RACES OF DRACROMIA-METALIGON

●Dwarf - Usually found in Tundarus, though some hill dwarves also live in Munthrek. Call themselves "dwarv".
    ●Elf - Usually found in Wievalia, though some high elves also live in Munthrek. Call themselves "elv".
    ●Halfling - Most often found in Munthrek, though lightfoots can be found virtually anywhere. Call themselves "kindred".
    ●Gnome - In Dracromia, they have brightly-coloured hair and live in Wievalia; and in Metaligon, they have metallic-hued hair and live in Tundarus. Call themselves "noms".
    ●Orcborn - Descended from humans and orcs. Usually live in Munthrek.
    ●Goblin - Usually found in Wievalia, though a multitude can also be found in Munthrek. Only exist in Metaligon.
    ●Kobold - Usually found in Tundarus, though a multitude can also be found in Munthrek. Only exist in Dracromia.
    ●Automaton - Constructs of unknown origin and mysterious design, they are born from dome-shaped factories known as "eggs" which are found in certain parts of the world.

RACES OF OTHER PLANES

●Celestial
    ●Elemental
    ●Kaijuko

Celestial Beings of Dracromia-Metaligon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dracromia and Metaligon each have different pantheons of Celestial Beings, with slight differences between the two variations.

COMMON CELESTIAL BEINGS
    ●The Fifteen Dragons - A collection of fifteen former dragons who ascended and became Celestial Beings.
    ●Marilina - Once a homonid human paladin, and typically revered by humans.
    ●Norm - Once a syl human esper, and typically revered by humans.
    ●Gorlark - Once an orcborn barbarian, and typically revered by orcborn.
    ●Kedakai - Once a crystal drachomus monk, and typically revered by crystal drachomi.
    ●Alistair - Once a hill dwarf cleric, and typically revered by dwarves.
    ●Helga - Once a mountain dwarf fighter, and typically revered by mountain dwarves.
    ●Emerria - Once a high elf wizard, and typically revered by elves.
    ●Verdann - Once a wood elf ranger, and typically revered by wood elves.
    ●Rhyanna - Once a lightfoot rogue, and typically revered by halflings.
    ●Sheamus - Once a stout druid, and typically revered by halflings.
    ●Shienna - Once a luminelv spellsword, and typically revered by luminelv.
    ●Nocturnus - Once an oscurelv assassin, and typically revered by oscurelv.
    ●Vylanni - Once a kaijuko, and typically revered by kaijuko.
    ●Mat - Once an automaton, and occasionally revered by automatons.

DRACROMIA-EXCLUSIVE CELESTIAL BEINGS
    ●Sbenmor - Once a forest gnome bard, and occasionally revered by gnomes.
    ●Koble - Once a kobold merchant, and occasionally revered by kobolds.

METALIGON-EXCLUSIVE CELESTIAL BEINGS
    ●Tinkertinn - Once a rock gnome sorcerer, and occasionally revered by gnomes.
    ●Bolgern - Once a goblin diplomat, and occasionally revered by goblins.

Last edited by Erik Woodhollow; 2016-01-14 at 04:51 AM.
    MY MAIN SETTINGS