New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1013 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    The repercussions couldn't be conflict however. The gods fighting with each other too much is what created the snarl in the first place. In moments it obliterated an entire pantheon. It could kill the rest of them just as quickly I presume. The gods will have to be more clever than strong to oppose because its not all of the gods vs. just her. Half the gods agree with her. Half the gods fighting the other half would be exactly the kind of thing that could create exactly what they are trying to oppose.
    the problem came from them trying to force the world into there idea of right in spite of the others, by pulling on the strings to force it into how they want it, as long as there not using the strings fighting between them doesnt carry such a risk

theyd have to lynch Hel, throw her in a cell somewhere, make the world and make sure that none of the souls go to her this time

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Then how did the demigod representatives get IN? (If the theory I responded to is correct)
    1) I guess it's a one way barrier. Rich has confirmed that the barrier keeps the priests in (so it's not a theory, it's confirmed canon), and the demigod priests can clearly get through it, so the only explaination is that it's a one way barrier, or that someone deactivated it to let them in.

2) What does that have anything to do with Belkar? He was outside the room protected by the barrier when he fell.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-11-25 at 02:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by a1chemi View Post
    If Vamptor considers Blackwing more worthy of an opponent than Mr. Scruffy ("at least the bird was a magical creature"), then I don't think he would consider that more befitting the "proper order of things". Magic has repeatedly been described as "unnatural".

Anyway the dominating gaze has always taken effect immediately, so I take the glowy eyes as more proof of the Children of the Night theory that many people have brought forth, since that ability takes a few rounds to come into effect.
    As noted on the last page, I actually agree at this point that it's Children of the Night. I hadn't thought of the rat swarm. And Rich had already stated that the domination only works on people.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    The other gods are unaware of the Dark One's Plan. Otherwise they'd do their best to block it.
    Been thinking about that... Only two people knew of the plan: Redcloak and Tsukiko, whom he killed... and that was sent to Southern Gods afterlife, which could mean she could spread that intel. Granted, she wasn't the most reliable source, but she was a cleric (of someone), which means she retained some level credit...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by Zorgoth View Post
    As noted on the last page, I actually agree at this point that it's Children of the Night. I hadn't thought of the rat swarm. And Rich had already stated that the domination only works on people.
    Actually, it pretty much has to be the rat swarm. There's no way for the wolves to get on board the Mechane, and no reason for bats to be that high up a mountain. Plus, there's rats already on board (because it's a ship), so they'll come in sooner rather than later.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Been thinking about that... Only two people knew of the plan: Redcloak and Tsukiko, whom he killed... and that was sent to Southern Gods afterlife, which could mean she could spread that intel. Granted, she wasn't the most reliable source, but she was a cleric (of someone), which means she retained some level credit...
    hey ya! she could tell the gods that Xykon is after there gates i dont see that backfiring for her at all

also she would have went south so if anything would have been intercepoted by the IFCC (is that the right acronym?) so anything she told them would never make it to the people who would do something about it

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    The Gods have a general Information Blackout on the whole existence of the Snarl. So it stands to reason that even if they know about what the Dark One is up to, they're being pretty tightlipped about WHY they want their mortal agents to go after his mortal agents.

As far as the SG is (well, was ) concerned, The bearer of the Crimson Mantle (and his god) are part of a foul plot to undo creation.

Where and how they got that idea, only Rich knows*.

* Spoilers for SoD:

Spoiler
    Show
    Though there is a flashback scene in SoD where we see the Order of the Scribble taking down the first Bearer of the Crimson Mantle.

As a piece of supporting evidence about the gods being pretty tightlipped about everything, the SG don't even realize the fact that the Crimson Mantle is in fact a (minor?) artifact and not just some symbol of authority. I mean, they keep leaving it on the ground for some other goblin to pick up instead of trying to destroy it/keeping it stored away. Though it is possible that the other gods themselves don't know about its significance.
    IIRC, the Sapphire Guard got a prophecy at one point that said something to the effect of "A goblin wearing a red cloak will bring destruction to your gate." Paraphrased, obviously.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #278
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

never mind. :)
    Last edited by wesleytj; 2015-11-25 at 04:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Crown View Post
    "I am a vampire; you are a cat. Do you not appreciate the implicit hierarchy present here?"

The implicit hierarchy (as seen by every cat I've ever known): Cat > Everything Else
    sooooooooo true - but dont tell the Vampire - he'll open up a can of worms ...

(or cat food as things may stand)

sch
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

10. - Top - End - #280
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGirl

My first thought is that he's summoning a hell hound to fight the cat, as he feels a dog is a hierarchically correct opponent for a cat.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    IIRC, the Sapphire Guard got a prophecy at one point that said something to the effect of "A goblin wearing a red cloak will bring destruction to your gate." Paraphrased, obviously.
    I don't recall this. What book/pdf was it in?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't recall this. What book/pdf was it in?
    Not sure. I get a lot of information through hearsay.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #283
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Wait shouldn't V have noticed that nobody else was in the room where Blackwing is other than the other animals, who are all presumably asleep?

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Idiotic_Bird View Post
    Wait shouldn't V have noticed that nobody else was in the room where Blackwing is other than the other animals, who are all presumably asleep?
    how? he has no idea where the crew is, or even where blackwing is exactly for all he knows someone entered the study and blackwing left

15. - Top - End - #285
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

biggrin Re: OOTS #1013 - The Discussion Thread

The corRECT hirearchy is cat on top. As far as the cat is concerned. And I think the tiger's planning something. :D
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

16. - Top - End - #286

Mr. Scruffy ain't no ordinary house cat. I recall he "critical hit" a guard back in the arena.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Not technically, but you can have a dog so any DM worth his salt would allow it.

I once played in a campaign with a character who hat a cat animal companion and about 6 other cats surrounding her. She had weapon proficiency (cat) and a bunch of ranged weapon feats and would throw cats at her enimies.
    I guess her favored enemies were social workers and tax officials?
    Last edited by Zwiebelchen; 2015-11-26 at 02:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
    Mr. Scruffy ain't no ordinary house cat. I recall he "critical hit" a guard back in the arena.
    I think you're remembering wrong. He did kill a level 1 commoner back in the arena, but ordinary D&D cats can do that (just compare the stats).

19. - Top - End - #289

Flumph

That means that Belkar didn't fall very far, since he started within the yellow glow, got knocked out of a window, bounced down the roof, and then began to fall.

At what point did the yellow glow catch him? You will note that in panels 17 and 18 there is still a yellow glow around Belkar, almost like a string attached to him ... from the moot aura?
    That aura is from the Protection from Evil cloak clasp, which causes pain to Belkar because he's evil. The yellow barrier is only around the room the Moot is held in plus the stairs. We only see it once when the HPoBalder goes to the top of the stairs to fetch the HPs of the demigods.

Then how did the demigod representatives get IN? (If the theory I responded to is correct)
    It's my theory, and it says that people authorized to be in the Moot can enter, but no one else. The HPs of the demigods are authorized, so they can enter.

Support for this is the fact that Durkula, a vampire unknown to any of the other high priests there, entered and was not immediately attacked or turned by the other participants. Normally, they would do so upon encountering a random vampire. But if everyone there knows that the barrier excludes all but authorized participants, then they won't attack him, since it would be against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
    That was a commoner, actually. One of the other prisoner/gladiators. The guy who ended his sentence with a semi-colon. (Which is one of the most wretched (i.e. best) puns in the entire strip. Actually, a double pun, one on "sentence" and one on "semi-colon".)
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

20. - Top - End - #290

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Great equalizer View Post
    I wonder if "a fight more befitting the proper order of things" involves going Big Bad Wolf.
    Yes! Please!

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    So, Blackwing can only communicate through emotions?

That's not a good form of communication
    ikr?
    Imagine that you could only send text messages consisting of emoticons...

Blackwing:
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Crown View Post
    "I am a vampire; you are a cat. Do you not appreciate the implicit hierarchy present here?"

The implicit hierarchy (as seen by every cat I've ever known): Cat > Everything Else

It's clear that Mr. Scruffy isn't respecting damage reduction 10 Silver and Magic...
    But Gontoratu is actually bothering to take time out out of his assigned task to address Mr. Scruffy directly?
    Maybe the ex-nature priest has some unresolved issues where animals are concerned because Mr. Scruffy's just stopped Gonferatu as if he had kender taunt.

Poor Gontoratu, he doesn't know what he's dealing with yet. He thinks that he is dealing with an ordinary house cat, but unknown to him he is actually dealing with...

Spoiler: Mr. Scruffy
    Show
    a named cat
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Mr. Scruffy's first name were ever revealed, then he would ascend to Godhood, automatically enter the nearest pantheon, and become a deciding vote at the Godsmoot.
    shhhhh... don't tell Odin
    Thanks to all the players who joined
    June 27 ... July 14, 2011
    July 7 ... July 28, 2012

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by Great equalizer View Post
    I wonder if "a fight more befitting the proper order of things" involves going Big Bad Wolf.
    I don't think so. I just noticed that his eyes are glowing in a "Dominate" way. I think he's going to coerce the tiger to fight Mr Scruffy.
    Plus, it just makes sense. Feline against feline fits "the proper order of things".
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

22. - Top - End - #292
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thought: Gontor was not a worshiper of the gods of the northern pantheon. Therefore his animating spirit may not be Hel's creation but some other deity's, although as the thrall of the HPoH he still must obey.

I'm getting a strong lawful vibe in his comments to Mr. Scruffy.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Thought: Gontor was not a worshiper of the gods of the northern pantheon. Therefore his animating spirit may not be Hel's creation but some other deity's, although as the thrall of the HPoH he still must obey.

I'm getting a strong lawful vibe in his comments to Mr. Scruffy.
    Even if he worshiped Elemental Earth and not a deity Gontor was still a dwarf and thus falls under Hel's purview. That means providing a vampire spirit for him is her duty.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-11-26 at 10:50 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

24. - Top - End - #294

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    I don't think so. I just noticed that his eyes are glowing in a "Dominate" way. I think he's going to coerce the tiger to fight Mr Scruffy.
    Can't. The Tiger isn't a "Person" (vampire dominate is based on Dominate Person. Earlier in this thread we have Word of Rich that he's using the normal rules for this, same reason why Durkula couldn't dominate a dinosaur in the fight versus Vector Legion)

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I am curious to see whether V added any mystic wards to protect the "super bauble" beyond the presence of the plucky animal side kicks.

26. - Top - End - #296

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    Maybe he's not a thrall, but another free-willed cleric of Hel (and thus below his master Durkon in the church's hierarchy).
    I too believe this. The High Priest is dedicated to his god far moreso than Malack was. He does not desire vampire 'children', he desires to grant his beloved goddess a larger clergy.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

27. - Top - End - #297

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Icedaemon View Post
    I too believe this. The High Priest is dedicated to his god far moreso than Malack was. He does not desire vampire 'children', he desires to grant his beloved goddess a larger clergy.
    As in "any at all" followed by "as many as I can get away with".

28. - Top - End - #298
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by BriarHobbit View Post
    I am curious to see whether V added any mystic wards to protect the "super bauble" beyond the presence of the plucky animal side kicks.
    Guess what spell he cast before leaving this orb unattended?

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Demonsul View Post
    Guess what spell he cast before leaving this orb unattended?
    Oh, man. That never gets old...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Oh, man. That never gets old...
    For some reason her casting explosive runes is always an exercise in entertainment.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall