New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

confused Erfworld Bloopers

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    "Vinnie" is a mistake. It should be "Vinny," sorry. We need to set up a corrections thread so when we go to lay out the book, we can hit them all and update the archives as well.
    Well, here goes. These are the bloopers I've caught so far.

1. Vinny's left ear is drawn rounded in Erfworld 42, panel 10. (Everybody knows that one already.)
    2. Vinny is called "Vinnie" in several places. (Ditto.) Erfworld 08, panel 6; Erfworld 34, panels 6 and 9.
    3. Manpower's eyepatch is on the wrong eye in batcam view, Erfworld 49, panel 1 (and 5?) (Seems that way in Erfworld 48, panel 9 as well, but it's not quite discernible at this resolution).
    4. Bogroll calls Parson "My Lord Parson" in Erfworld 37, panel 1--should probably be "My Lord Hamster" (cmp. Erfworld 28, panel 6; Erfworld 29, panel 11).

Now, don't get me wrong--I love the comic, and I'm not so anal to find these glitches anything but trivial. I've only listed them because the creators requested a corrections thread.

P.S. If you should find any more bloopers, please append them to this thread, but keep the numbering; i.e. list the next blooper as "5" etc.

5. The wristwatch: missing in 16:4, 23:6, 24:6, 27:4, 32:1, Klog1:1, 39:1,5
    6. Parson's font: Incorrect in: 31:1-2
    7. Parson's Eyebook is oriented "landscape" in Klog1:1, but the text is "portrait".
    8. Bogroll's stats in Klog4 are Move, Hits, Combat, and Defense. The klog text lists Move, Hit, Attack, and Defense.
    A couple of spelling mistakes:
    11. On Page 21, panel 3: "Because of the low move of some of the seige engines . . . "
    12. On Page 39, panel 6: "This is Code Red Moutain Dew!"
    13. On Page 44, panel 7: " 'spoitable mechanic..." (shouldn't that be " 'sploitable"?
    14. Page 52, second-to-last panel. Vinny says, "Crap, they do some real damage that way." Should read: "Crap, they'd do some real damage that way."
    (denied)
    16. Erfworld 48, panel 8 shows two pink dwagons, two yellow, and a brown nestling in trees; but the map in Erfworld 56 shows no such combination. The closest are: 2 yellow, 1 pink, 1 red, and either a purple or a blue.
    17. In Erfworld 60, panels 4-5, shouldn't there be a bat displayed in the center hex of the dwagon fort? At any rate, since that hex is occupied by an Ansom-friendly bat, it should show up with a red outline on Stanley's map, as do the ones with the rest of the column and Ansom himself. Also, since it was stated that the bats were being held back from the final charge, shouldn't there be a bunch of bats left behind in Erfworld 61, panel 11?

18. Needs to be a comma after 'wait' in Erfworld 23, panel 7. Note by Freederick: This is so trivial (like the iota in "homoiousios"), that I nearly refused to list it.

20. On page 61 Wanda states that Ansom knows they have a Foolmancer, so they can veil units, but on page 64 Sizemore says you need a Lookamancer in the same hex as the units to be veiled. (corrected already)

22. Minor spelling: in Erfworld 71, panel 2 "Capture's unfeasable." Should read: unfeasible.

23. Continuity: Wanda's room looks different in Erfworld 74, panel 4, than it did in Erfworld 27, panel 2. Specifically, the demon skull over the archway dividing the room, the candlestick between the bed and the archway, and the dressing screen on the right-hand side are missing in the more recent panel.

24. Continuity again: In Erfworld 71, panel 5, Jillian pulls out a tiny dagger; in panel 7 she's holding what looks like the hilt of a huge sword.

25. Spelling: In Parson's Klog #10, “Has higher affect on Warlords” should be “Has higher effect on Warlords”.

26. Webinar is missing his radish in #69, panel 7.
    On the other hand Dora has a radish on her chest in #97, last panel. She has no radish in any other strip, either before or after. Given the circumstances, it is unlikely she had an opportunity to change armor in the meantime, so it's probably a mistake.

27. Punctuation gripes: In Erfworld 40, panel 2: "No, but you were embarassed about it." (missing comma); In Erfworld 60, panel 11: "...act on that assumption. He can't imagine..." (missing period)

28. Spelling: In Erfworld 86, panel 10: “Coaltion” should be “Coalition”.

29. Typo: Erfworld 87, panel 1: “… got closest to the reaching the city.”

30. Continuity: There are four metal golems shown in Erfworld 87, panel 7, but the unit roster list in Parson's Klog #7 lists four hard rock golems, one metal golem. Presumably the list is incorrect, and these entries should be reversed.

31. Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble: The speech bubble in 9th panel on page 66 shouldn't be outlined in black. Also, page 36, speech bubbles in panel 4 should not be outlined in black, in panel 6 Sizemore's speech bubble should be outlined in black. The speech bubbles in the last panel of Page 92 should not be outlined in black.
    On page 40, 6th panel,the "see!" bubble should be outlined in black. With the coloration its difficult to tell, but the offscreen speech bubbles of parson in panels 4 and 10 on page 43 should be outlined in black.(all spotted by kilmor)

32. Spelling: In Erfworld 9, panel 8: “tcotchke” should be “tchotchke”.

33. Punctuation: Under critical fact 1, in Parson's Klog #6: "Stupid, Stupid Meal" should be "Stupid Stupid Meal" --the comma is extraneous. (See comment to #18 above).
    Last edited by Freederick; 2008-11-06 at 07:36 AM. Reason: expand list

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Erfworld Bl^Hoopers

Quote Originally Posted by Freederick View Post
    P.S. If you should find any more bloopers, please append them to this thread, but keep the numbering; i.e. list the next blooper as "5" etc.
    Technically, this one is with this thread, not the comic. Given the nature of Erfworld, these really ought to be called "Boop"ers, not bloopers.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Bl^Hoopers

Quote Originally Posted by abb3w View Post
    Technically, this one is with this thread, not the comic. Given the nature of Erfworld, these really ought to be called "Boop"ers, not bloopers.
    Consarn it, beaten to the riff!
    Legacy of the Bieth - my B/X D&D campaign setting. Abbasid/Almoravid North Africa, spaghetti westerns, and Roadside Picnic.
    LotB tumblr and Google Plus campaign page

Awesome

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Bl^Hoopers

Quote Originally Posted by abb3w View Post
    *rofl* Thank you for making my afternoon with that one.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Bloopers

The eye patch on the wrong side in the Bat-cam could be legit. He could be seeing everything reflected so left is right and right is left. However its probably a blooper.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

1. Vinny's left ear is drawn rounded in Erfworld 42, panel 10. (Everybody knows that one already.)
    I think it's SUPPOSED to be rounded. It's the other times when that left ear is POINTED that it's a blooper (note that Vinnie is ALWAYS missing his left fang as well. Likely, he's a HALF vampire)

7. - Top - End - #7

SwashbucklerGuy

I had already been working on a list of needed corrections for the book, but it makes more sense to keep it all contained here, especially since other than the wristwatch, I was usually not the first to notice these:

The wristwatch: missing in 16:4, 23:6, 24:6, 27:4, 32:1, Klog1:1, 39:1,5

Parson's font: Incorrect in: 31:1-2

Parson's Eyebook is oriented "landscape" in Klog1:1, but the text is "portrait".

Bogroll's stats in Klog4 are Move, Hits, Combat, and Defense. The klog text lists Move, Hit, Attack, and Defense.
    Proudly defending the Tool from the unholy forces of Cuteness and Plush.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

It's quite miniscule and not the sort of thing I would normally notice (my R/L Spot check is undoubtedly somewhere around that of the average OotS member's), but I just noticed by chance that "schmuckers" is uncapitalized in 6, panel 9, but capitalized in 42, panel 4 and 57, panel 9.

{Edited to add: The earlier two were just the instances of the word being used that I could remember off the top of my head when I noticed something seemed odd about it in 57; there might be more instances that I've missed.}
    Last edited by Psychonaut; 2007-06-05 at 11:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TiamatRoar View Post
    I think it's SUPPOSED to be rounded. It's the other times when that left ear is POINTED that it's a blooper (note that Vinnie is ALWAYS missing his left fang as well. Likely, he's a HALF vampire)
    Good luck pushing the half-vampire agenda with Vinny's left ear drawn 5 times pointed against 1 time rounded. He *is* missing his left fang, but that doesn't mean anything. Probably got it knocked out in a fight, he is a rough character.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maurog View Post
    Good luck pushing the half-vampire agenda with Vinny's left ear drawn 5 times pointed against 1 time rounded. He *is* missing his left fang, but that doesn't mean anything. Probably got it knocked out in a fight, he is a rough character.
    Except that it would return at the next healing time (on page 38, Jillian appears to be missing a tooth in 38/2 just before healing in 38/3).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-06-06 at 09:51 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

In Warlords and Heroes and similar games, you can have a hero with an avatar that, say, has an eyepatch. It's not that if you make him drink a dozen healing potions he will grow an eye back. Similarly, he will probably not lose his second eye even if dropped to a single hit point.

But that's meta-game. In game, it could be he counts as uncroaked, being a vampire and all. I suspect that uncroaked units are not subject to healing time (we know they manage to decompose somehow).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TiamatRoar View Post
    That would be completely stealing Rich's visual joke with Pompey the half-elf...
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

13. - Top - End - #13

Actually, we have no idea if being a vampire has anything to do with being uncroaked. Actually, we have nothing that even says he is a vampire.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Freederick, just a suggestion. You should add these to the first post. That way if someone finds something it's easier to check. Of course easier for us means more work for you, but hey, you started the thread.

It's not a strip B'ooper, but when you press the thing on the sidebar which says comics, in the Erfworld image it is written "Jamie Naguchi". Everywhere else it's Noguchi.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2007-06-06 at 10:44 AM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Updated list.

Here goes another one:

10. We can see in Erfworld 35 and Erfworld 36 that there is no plumbing in Gobwin Knob. Yet in Erfworld 53, there are several sewer outlets into the cesspit.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Updated list.

Here goes another one:

10. We can see in Erfworld 35 and Erfworld 36 that there is no plumbing in Gobwin Knob. Yet in Erfworld 53, there are several sewer outlets into the cesspit.
    There's plumbing Jim, but not as we know it.

Back in the Golden, Olden days, people had to go and dump their waste in communal openings into the sewers. Property values right next to these areas were low, as you can imagine.

Plumbing did not come into the world fully formed, fleshed out, and with comfortable, indoor flushing toilets.
    It's not Lupus.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Parson seems to be poring over conventional maps in the last frame of page 22. (OTOH, that's not necessarily inconsistent with what we learn later about the Eyemancer setup -- perhaps Team Stanley uses ordinary maps and miniatures for brainstorming in order to avoid overloading the Eyemancers or distracting them from monitoring the battlefield. If so, it would explain where the dwagon minis came from.)
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-06-13 at 06:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    The eye patch on the wrong side in the Bat-cam could be legit. He could be seeing everything reflected so left is right and right is left. However its probably a blooper.
    I considered the reflection thing, but the sword didn't change sides.
    Nom Nom Nom

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Parson seems to be poring over conventional maps in the last frame of page 22. (OTOH, that's not necessarily inconsistent with what we learn later about the Eyemancer setup -- perhaps Team Stanley uses ordinary maps and miniatures for brainstorming in order to avoid overloading the Eyemancers or distracting them from monitoring the battlefield. If so, it would explain where the dwagon minis came from.)
    I suppose the table display shows the actual disposition of forces in realtime, while the maps and minis are used for planning and trying out scenarios.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rocheforte View Post
    The wristwatch: missing in 16:4, 23:6, 24:6, 27:4, 32:1, Klog1:1, 39:1,5
    I just realized that the missing/reappearing wristwatch, or an anachronistic wristwatch showing on an actor's wrist in a historical setting, is a well-established trope of movie bloopers. It's probably a far shot, but could this blooper be an intentional take by the artist? That watch is phasing in and out of reality almost too often for it to be entirely coincidental.

Edit:
    With the wristwatch suddenly catapulted into prominence in Erfworld 54, my "intentional blooper" theory is no longer likely.
    Last edited by Freederick; 2007-06-16 at 10:34 AM. Reason: new data came in...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narthon the Bold View Post
    Actually, we have no idea if being a vampire has anything to do with being uncroaked. Actually, we have nothing that even says he is a vampire.
    Actually, he's a Vampiwe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I just realized that the missing/reappearing wristwatch, or an anachronistic wristwatch showing on an actor's wrist in a historical setting, is a well-established trope of movie bloopers. It's probably a far shot, but could this blooper be an intentional take by the artist? That watch is phasing in and out of reality almost too often for it to be entirely coincidental.
    The movie "Haggard" has the main character wearing an eye patch. In the special features they claim they could re-release the entire move sans eye-patch due to how often the actor forgot to put it on.
    -2 Cursed Keyboard of Typos.

Official Commentary by

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

On Page 21, panel 3:

"Because of the low move of some of the seige engines . . . "

seige should be "siege".

On Page 39, panel 6:

"This is Code Red Moutain Dew!"

Moutain should be "Mountain".

Also, if you're going to do schlockmercenary the courtesy of identifying their trademark, you should probably do the same for Pepsico. (Not to mention that schlockmercenary is probably a little easier going than Pepsico . . . )

Beyond that, I've been quite impressed with Rob and Jamie's literacy.

(They have also spelled "siege" correctly several times elsewhere.)
    Last edited by FredRalphFred; 2007-06-16 at 02:01 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Page 52, second-to-last panel. Vinny says, "Crap, they do some real damage that way." Should read: "Crap, they'd do some real damage that way."
    Last edited by ryos; 2007-06-17 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Vinnie->Vinny

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryos View Post
    Page 52, second-to-last panel. Vinny says, "Crap, they do some real damage that way." Should read: "Crap, they'd do some real damage that way."
    It works fine if you read Vinnie with the thick "Nuu Yoik" accent I see him as having :)
    Last edited by Forevergrey; 2007-06-19 at 10:37 PM.
    It's not Lupus.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

He's based off of, it seems, 'My Cousin Vinny', so it would make sense for him to have a Joe Pesci style Brooklyn style accent.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

16. As spotted by Maelore: Erfworld 48, panel 8 shows two pink dwagons, two yellow, and a brown nestling in trees; but the map in Erfworld 56 shows no such combination. The closest are: 2 yellow, 1 pink, 1 red, and either a purple or a blue.

Edit:
    This is not necessarily a blooper; the nestling dwagons in Erfworld 48 might be group A replacement dwagons, waiting to replace the wounded ones. If so, they would be in the central hex, not in one of the hexes shown on the map.
    Last edited by Freederick; 2007-06-23 at 04:07 AM. Reason: alternative explanation

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

16. As spotted by Maelore: Erfworld 48, panel 8 shows two pink dwagons, two yellow, and a brown nestling in trees; but the map in Erfworld 56 shows no such combination. The closest are: 2 yellow, 1 pink, 1 red, and either a purple or a blue.

Edit:
    This is not necessarily a blooper; the nestling dwagons in Erfworld 48 might be group A replacement dwagons, waiting to replace the wounded ones. If so, they would be in the central hex, not in one of the hexes shown on the map.
    This also may be due to too much shading on a red dragon.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

No, it is a blooper. A headslapping one. Thanks for identifying it.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

30. - Top - End - #30

In Erfworld 39Jillian heals at dawn, while Erfworld 52/Parson's Klog 6 states that Ansom's forces heal at noon.