New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Bloopers

Perhaps a good way to resolve this is by adding a couple more Klog-like features. I love the Klog as being a great way to delve into Parson's thinking. Perhaps similar sections could be used to help us understand another character or two, or maybe something other than a journal. The stupid meals were great that way, is it possible to find a way to do more along those lines? Perhaps commentary by erfians who aren't even from the western conflict at all.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

As well as the klogs, maybe a few pages at the end of the book/chapters, codifying the rules learnt so far, would be good, may be presented as Parson's Notes.

Also a cross-section of Gobwin Knob with the various areas colour-coded may also help with the confusion.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Would adding more details of rules make stuff easier to follow, or harder? :P

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Quick note-to-self for page reworking, ignore this everyone but me.

p99 could use a lot of work on re-lettering in smaller font sizes and the final panel needs a gauzy mask of some kind to indicate it's not really happening. Caused confusion at the time.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

On page 137(124) panel 8: I would like your guys/gals opinion on this one

Parson's handle of the sword seems to not be drawn, with the shading it "appears" to be missing is it? or am I going blind and need to get my eyes checked.
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

6. - Top - End - #216
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

138 Page 125: Parson totally passed the language filter in panel 5!

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by trehek View Post
    138 Page 125: Parson totally passed the language filter in panel 5!
    Why is it that so many people fail to grasp the fact that "crap" is an allowed word?
    Last edited by Justyn; 2009-01-16 at 06:52 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

Minor visual continuity glitch: in #137, Wanda had a white skull and a star drawn on her camisole top. Both missing in #138.
    To speed up forum loading, you can turn off Signatures, Avatars and/or Images separately from one another. See 'Visible Post Elements' under 'Thread Display Options' under 'Edit Options' in the User CP (Control Panel). Only works once you're logged in, though.

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    That's a good idea.
    Minor necromancy here. This has probably been suggested, but if you'd called it "The City Area, protected by the Outer Walls," it might have gone less harshly. And call "The Main City Area" that Parson alludes to, I dunno, "The Streets of the City"

10. - Top - End - #220

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0105.html

One extra "s" in "UUDDLRLRBAS".

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0105.html

One extra "s" in "UUDDLRLRBAS".
    He did the up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, SELECT, start version

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lordsigmund View Post
    He did the up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, SELECT, start version
    which would make it have double S,

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Kpenguin, Baboon Army and Gurgleflep for the awesome happles avatars!

“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!” - Benjamin Franklin

13. - Top - End - #223
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

A rendering comment on page 127, panel 7;
    The darkness around Wanda making her appearance seems to show differently on different displays. On my office displays it is so dark, I can not make out anything above her short sleeves.
    On my home system her face is much more visible.
    It may be related to the display's brightness and contrast settings.
    Depending on what effect you want, you may want to lighten that up a bit.

Dave.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavesNotHere View Post
    A rendering comment on page 127, panel 7;
    The darkness around Wanda making her appearance seems to show differently on different displays. On my office displays it is so dark, I can not make out anything above her short sleeves.
    On my home system her face is much more visible.
    It may be related to the display's brightness and contrast settings.
    Depending on what effect you want, you may want to lighten that up a bit.

Dave.
    Getting the images to look right in print (as opposed to onscreen) is always something to watch out for. For example, I vaguely recall Rich mentioning that the initial proofs of the first OotS book had Roy's face so dark that the facial feature lines didn't show.

That frame might be a good "canary in the coal mine" for that stage of book production.

When I get around to making another round of avatars, I'll probably tweak the background on that one to be just a bit lighter.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2009-02-04 at 01:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

p129 panel 1, change "leading" to "guiding" or possibly "directing."

16. - Top - End - #226

Not sure if this is really an error or not, but
    Erfworld 142 panel 4,
    Ansom is not riding on the carpet like he is in the two surrounding
    comics.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Barbarian in the Playground

don't know if this goes here, but the cast page is down
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0146.html

in panel 7, the weiner rammers reins are gone
    This avatar is Hamstard Lucky, from erfworld, By Rob Balder and drawn by Jamie Noguchi.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

With regard to patches.

It is conceivable pirates wore patches, not due to one eye being faulty, but to permanently have one eye adjusted to darkness.

Is it possible his extra vision properties occur due to swapping the patch?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0146.html

in panel 7, the weiner rammers reins are gone
    The reins were cut, and the weiner obviously swallowed the bit. I've seen it dozens of times. It's how m' pa died the first time.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

p64 panel 3 seems to be a major hangup. Wasn't intentional and I agree that it's misleading. We'll clarify that for the book.

For the record, the rule is actually pretty simple and I am amazed it's been such a sticking point for people.

• You can move only on your turn, and you can cast only on your turn.
    • When an enemy comes to you on their turn, you can engage, and you can cast. This includes when they are attacking your city.

Why could Parson not have ordered a veil to be cast, even if the Foolamancer had been in the group with the wounded dwagons? It was not his turn, and they were not under attack. Once Jillian entered the hex, a theoretical Foolamancer within that hex could have veiled, but it wouldn't have been very effective at fooling her.

Why could Parson have his casters cast on the Coalition's turn, later in the story? His city was being attacked.

Why could the Archons cast the DDR spell? They were part of the Coalition and it was now technically their turn. But they could not move because all of Charlescomm's units' move went to zero when Charlie ended turn. Move and hits are restored to full at the beginning of a side's turn, and (re)forming an alliance does not count as starting a new turn.

Why could the Archons "cast" the contract, when it was not their turn? Well, why could they still fly? It's not a spell, it's a natural magic. There's also a heavy dose of "talking is a free action" in that scene, another thing about turn based games that is silly but almost universally true. It's no sillier than food popping at the start of a turn.
    Last edited by pclips; 2009-03-28 at 04:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    • You can move only on your turn, and you can cast only on your turn.
    • When an enemy comes to you on their turn, you can engage, and you can cast. This includes when they are attacking your city.

Why could the Archons cast the DDR spell? They were part of the Coalition and it was now technically their turn. But they could not move because all of Charlescomm's units' move went to zero when Charlie ended turn. Move and hits are restored to full at the beginning of a side's turn, and (re)forming an alliance does not count as starting a new turn.
    This is... uhm, this is horribly abuse-able. There's got to be something more... I hope.

Sides 1, 2, and 3 (who move in that order) begin the turn allied.

First action: Side 1's turn, but 2 and 3 go with them due to alliance. The coalition marches max move. They then disband the alliance. They then reform alliance on Side 2.

Second action: Side 2's turn. All units renew HP and move because they begin turn.

Some rule must prevent this abuse, so you haven't told us the full story yet.

Picture this: Charlescomm flies in to GK, but one Archon instead goes to Ansom. Between turns, Charlescomm joins the RCC (by casting the contract on their own turn and Ansom waiting until someone else's to accept, for instance), instead of what really happened. RCC's turn now comes up. What prevents Charlescomm from getting HP and Move restored and taking a second turn on the same day?

The preventative rule should be "All alliances begin on the next day." That prevents any possiblity of a unit having two turns, like Charlecomm just achieved.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    This is... uhm, this is horribly abuse-able. There's got to be something more... I hope.

Sides 1, 2, and 3 (who move in that order) begin the turn allied.

First action: Side 1's turn, but 2 and 3 go with them due to alliance. The coalition marches max move. They then disband the alliance. They then reform alliance on Side 2.

Second action: Side 2's turn. All units renew HP and move because they begin turn.
    While the issue hasn't really come up in the comic (so far), Rob has noted that allies take their turn along with whichever member of the alliance normally moves last. This insures that breaking and reforming alliances can't be used to get multiple healings/moves/etc within the same day. (It's possible to shift a side's place in the move order from one day to the next, as the air expeditionary force did to get to the choke point before Stanley. The downside to such exploits is that in order to re-join the alliance, the side had to go back to a later point in the turn order.)
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2009-03-31 at 08:06 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Er, you're getting it wrong. The part you quoted explicitely says that forming/reforming an alliance does NOT count as starting a new turn in and of itself. Reforming on side 2 would merely change who was able to give the commands for whatever remains of the turn, and might change the turn order, depending how exactly that is calculated. (I suspect it wouldnt change the turn order since it seems most likely that its determined by army size, and merely changing the leader of an army doesnt change its size, but thats merely guesswork based on what we've seen so far.) So changing who the alliance is formed on mid-turn does not refresh move and health already lost during the turn.

The only question that needs to be made more explicit is what happens if forming a new alliance would change the turn order of one or more members of the new alliance. Does the turn order change immediately or not till next turn? And if it changes immediately how does that affect the various teams involved in the new alliance? How do the effects differ if the new alliance would still move before the enemy, compared to after?
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

25. - Top - End - #235

nevermind... deleted
    Last edited by Kreistor; 2009-03-31 at 04:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Little nitpicky thing:

#151, page 138. Frame 4. Vinnie's speech ends "...Barbarian. okay?"

Two problems I see:

1. Either okay should be capitalized, or the period in front of it should be a comma.

2. Why is Barbarian capitalized? I can see it as an official game term, but it was not treated this way in #92, page 83, first frame, when Jillian was describing how she became one.

27. - Top - End - #237

161 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 148, Panel 9, contol should be control.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

confused Re: Erfworld Bloopers

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0154.html

In this comic, when Sizemore says: Improving? No I never wanted it. It should be: Improving? No, I never wanted it. (notice the comma)
    Offical Diviner of the Vaarsuvius Fanclub

The Vorpal Tribble:
    Roy likes big Sylphs and he cannot lie, You other fighters can't deny
    That when an outsider walks in with a small category And a winged thing in your backstory You get Charmed Wanna take a feat that's tough
    Cuz you notice her size was buffed...
    Thanks to Holammer for the Avvie!

Last edited by no-one in particular : Tommorow at 17:90 PM