New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Bloopers

vice 2 (vīs) Pronunciation Key
    n. & v.
    Variant of vise.

/\ From dictionary.com, American Heritage Dictionary definition specifically, so he's OK there if he wants to keep it that way.
    Last edited by Maldraugedhen; 2007-07-11 at 12:05 PM.
    The road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began,
    Now far ahead the road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can--
    Pursuing it with eager feet,
    Meeting those who travel on the way,
    Where many paths and errands meet,
    And whither then, I cannot say.
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maldraugedhen View Post
    vice 2 (vīs) Pronunciation Key
    n. & v.
    Variant of vise.

/\ From dictionary.com, American Heritage Dictionary definition specifically, so he's OK there if he wants to keep it that way.
    Call me a Grammar Nazi, but I don't see it as a variant, so much as "Sheesh, so many people get this wrong, we might as well stick it in there." But eh, less work for Rob and Jamie, I guess.
    Last edited by BarGamer; 2007-07-13 at 03:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Vise" exists only in American English. In British English, both meanings use the spelling "vice". So, assuming there's a healthy infusion of Brit-speak here, as in virtually all fantasy settings, there's no problem.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

But given "vise" is less ambiguous, it's a better word anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I don't think it's hard to tell which meaning of the word is meant via the context it appears in, to be honest.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think it would totally throw me if I seen it spelled vise, and I am not sure how non English speaking people would have learnt it either.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That's like the problem of spelling the word "defense" or "defence." Or "armor" or "armour."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't think it's hard to tell which meaning of the word is meant via the context it appears in, to be honest.
    For natively English-speaking readers maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    In addition, if commander units are indicated by stars, how come those stars did not show up when the Ansom and his warlords were discussing what to do on the big map a few pages ago?
    That was Ansom's map--it uses primitive manual technology, and has counters that look different from Stanley's cool icons.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

In addition, if commander units are indicated by stars, how come those stars did not show up when the Ansom and his warlords were discussing what to do on the big map a few pages ago?
    Because Ansom and his commanders know where they are? Although at the moment, that's subject to debate.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I am not sure if this is a mistake or not but shouldn't there be a bat in the center hex of the dwagon fort?
    At any rate, it seems like, since that hex is occupied by an Ansom-friendly bat, it should show up with a red outline on Stanley's map, as do the ones with the rest of the column and Ansom himself.
    Proudly defending the Tool from the unholy forces of Cuteness and Plush.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Given that Parson is American, I would not expect him to speak with a British accent, or use British spellings. But otherwise, I retract the majority of my earlier post.
    Last edited by BarGamer; 2007-07-13 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Stuff

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Not sure if it counts but...

Knock is Spelled as "nock" on page 4

14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    Ah, that one's not a blooper. Jillian is captured at that point and shares "turns" with her captors' side. Eats prison meals that pop on Gobwin Knob's expense, etc.
    So if you get captured you get a double turn!
    That sounds like exploitable mechanics! :)

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Moechi_Vill View Post
    So if you get captured you get a double turn!
    That sounds like exploitable mechanics! :)
    Not really. If you're captured in your opponent's turn, you'll lose your own turn that day.
    A bard, eh? What's your saving throw against things that don't get a saving throw?
    "Mourn if you must, but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don."
    "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields! Trollocs coming!"

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    Paint the chromatic dragons.
    I no longer post here due to moderator bias.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgurker View Post
    Not sure if it counts but...

Knock is Spelled as "nock" on page 4
    This is one of the funniest things I have read all day. Next you'll be accusing them of misspelling "onomatopoeia."
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

18. - Top - End - #78

On page 2, panel 10, Stanley needs Wanda "2 uncroak him [Manpower] an find SMOEbody new 2 lead army"

Now, I'm no native speaker. While the missing d in "an" might just be not there to shorten the writting (just like "@" and "2"), is there anything funny behind SMOEbody I just don't understand or is it a blooper?

Of course it could just show that even the Tool himself is not free of spelling errors when chatting...
    Last edited by Waldgeist; 2007-07-23 at 05:49 AM.
    Avatar from Erfworld. Erfworld is a Webcomic by Rob Balder (text) and Jamie Naguchi (drawing).

19. - Top - End - #79
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waldgeist View Post
    On page 2, panel 10, Stanley needs Wanda "2 uncroak him [Manpower] an find SMOEbody new 2 lead army"

Now, I'm no native speaker. While the missing d in "an" might just be not there to shorten the writting (just like "@" and "2"), is there anything funny behind SMOEbody I just don't understand or is it a blooper?

Of course it could just show that even the Tool himself is not free of spelling errors when chatting...
    I think that's a deliberate indication that the Tool just dashed off teh commnet.

20. - Top - End - #80

Page 15, panel 7 -- repeated word ("...I have been been preparing...")

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Looking at the blowups I can now better understand a problem with Jaime's art. Due to the way detail is lost during image shrinking I see a problem that occurs whenever he draws someone with their mouth open, showing all their teeth. Because he uses a fine line to separate the upper and lower jaws and likes to show all of the ivories, it tends to blend into one weird white donut in the smaller panels, making it look like characters have thick white lips. It was quite a while before I even realized they were supposed to be teeth, but the blow-up panels make it much clearer. Was I the only one who confused by this? I recommend a retouch if it is going to print like that, especially since Jaime's minimalist touches tend to rely heavily on the observer's ability to unconsciously fill in the relevant details from a few simple strokes.

Then again, I may be the only person who had a problem with this.
    Last edited by Vreejack; 2007-07-25 at 01:08 PM.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Vreejack View Post
    Looking at the blowups I can now better understand a problem with Jaime's art. Due to the way detail is lost during image shrinking I see a problem that occurs whenever he draws someone with their mouth open, showing all their teeth. Because he uses a fine line to separate the upper and lower jaws and likes to show all of the ivories, it tends to blend into one weird white donut in the smaller panels, making it look like characters have thick white lips. It was quite a while before I even realized they were supposed to be teeth, but the blow-up panels make it much clearer. Was I the only one who confused by this? I recommend a retouch if it is going to print like that, especially since Jaime's minimalist touches tend to rely heavily on the observer's ability to unconsciously fill in the relevant details from a few simple strokes.

Then again, I may be the only person who had a problem with this.
    The loss of fine detail is an effect of the amount of compression needed to put the pages online while keeping the load on the GitP server and the readers' bandwidth within reason. In print, the images will show up better.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground

Trivia: The print version could easily have somewhere between four and nine times the level of detail, even disregarding the artifacting caused by the resizing algorithm (let alone the image file compression algorithm) that was used on the web version. Dual media comics typically keep a 300-600 dpi (at actual print size) version for printing as the primary version; it looks like Erfworld is 400 dpi. The web version is usually shrunk down to (72 dpi / print dpi)% in pixel size, presumably 18% in this case. Because screen pixels are so much farther apart than print dots, it actually looks better on a webpage in addition to taking less bandwidth; the print version would totally kill our h-scroll.
    Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-07-25 at 03:02 PM. Reason: clarity
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scientivore View Post
    The web version is usually shrunk down to (72 dpi / print dpi)% in pixel size, presumably 18% in this case. Because screen pixels are so much farther apart than print dots, it actually looks better on a webpage in addition to taking less bandwidth; the print version would totally kill our h-scroll.
    My resolution is probably at least twice that, which would explain why reading the comic is not unlike collecting stamps. I always have to blow it up 200% to see what is going on. Fortunately Firefox has a nice addon for that.

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Vreejack View Post
    My resolution is probably at least twice that, which would explain why reading the comic is not unlike collecting stamps. I always have to blow it up 200% to see what is going on. Fortunately Firefox has a nice addon for that.
    Which one?
    Avatar from Erfworld. Erfworld is a Webcomic by Rob Balder (text) and Jamie Naguchi (drawing).

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Question Re: Erfworld Bloopers

I don't know if it qualifies as a booper, but Parson was incorrect in his assumption in page 60. Ansom does know about the lake, though you won't be able to prove it by reading the comic. On the blowup for Ansom's tactical map (http://www.partiallyclips.com/erfwor...mmap_1200.jpg), we can see that there's part of a lake hex showing. However, that part is covered up by Ansom's dialog in page 56.

I know, it's a real stretch!

jericho

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'm not sure this is "Booper". But up untill #56 Prince Anson is in armor on land, in a battle, and riding the carpet. Then in #57 he's in the Kneviel outfit.

Is there a reason for this?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jerichothebard View Post
    I don't know if it qualifies as a booper, but Parson was incorrect in his assumption in page 60.
    Not a blooper.
    Ansom only sees a water hex - he doesn't know it's a lake.
    Also, Parson is probably not entirely clear on how Ansom's setup works. Remember, as far as Parson knows, Ansom only knows what a hex is, and what's in it, by actually sending (or trying to send) a unit into it, since Ansom has to use scouts...

I'm not sure this is "Booper". But up untill #56 Prince Anson is in armor on land, in a battle, and riding the carpet. Then in #57 he's in the Kneviel outfit. Is there a reason for this?
    Yeah, so the writers could make a joke for the 'flight' option Vinnie gives.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

From Page 38:

In panel 10 Wanda pours the amnesia dust into her right hand, but in panel 12 she throws it with her left.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Mogster View Post
    From Page 38:

In panel 10 Wanda pours the amnesia dust into her right hand, but in panel 12 she throws it with her left.
    I assumed that she transferred it to free up her right hand to lock the dungeon cell door. (Admittedly, this invites the question of why she didn't just pour it into her left hand to begin with, but anybody who watched closely while I handled my keys, wallet, and Metro pass on any given morning would probably end up asking the same sort of question at least twice.)
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-08-02 at 11:42 PM.