New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Shapeshifter clothing

I'm putting this here as I don't know which other forum it'd fit into.

What do Shapeshifters wear if their clothes don't shift with him?

I've put werewolves in tracksuits for the most part, as they're easy to get into and out of, and cheap enough that if they do get torn you're not going to be too put out. I'm writing about a classier Shapeshifter atm though, and one with many different shapes. My first inclination was to dress them in Illusory clothes, but this feels like asking for trouble from dispel/true seeing Fan-service. Is there any clothing style flexible enough to fit over hybrid Forms? Any suggestions will be welcome :)
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Shapeshifter clothing

I think this would be hard to answer if you want to avoid magic, but maybe there are some natural fibers that can do stuff like this. I defer to those with more real-world knowledge about such.

For magical, though, I think what makes sense depends on the world this is for:
    • If this is a D&D type world, well, there are magic items that let druids shift their armor. I could see someone putting that on clothes. I forget if an option exists that keeps the armor usable while shifted (not just merged into the form), but if there is, a modification of such. Maybe make a cheaper version that only works on normal clothes. A magic item is still liable for dispelling, though.
    • If a modern setting, like World of Darkness, I could see shifters have 'magical' but essentially-treated-as-mundane fabrics. Probably really stretchy stuff they've designed (or had designed with the help of magical allies), maybe with some breakaway points for stuff like a tail. So not exactly modest when you shift back, but perhaps you can pin it back together if you have a minute or two to freshen up. Such materials might not be commonly available, but a skilled shifter could reasonably get some. Something like this could not be dispelled, because even if it had magical origins, the material now exists.
    • If the shifter is something like fey, perhaps a supernatural power to use Glamor (if WoD) or just innately (if D&Dish) to weave clothing. It can be dispelled, though, as you point out.
    • You could have something like a feat or perk that lets a shifter transform the clothes they are wearing. Maybe limit it to organic fabrics, and the skilled shifter has figured out how to transform not just its own body but what it wears. This would be no more dispellable than the shapeshifter's own shifting, so seems safe.

The metaphysics of your world probably should play into this. In World of Darkness (drawing from mage), a person's Pattern is their body and what is immediately on them. It's easier for a person to impact their own Pattern than other Patterns. So it could make sense that you could impact your clothing, even if you don't have a power to generally alter clothes. In a D&D-type world... well, a feat explains being skilled and having the esoteric knowledge to do it and you probably don't need a metaphysical reason.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2015-11-25 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added fourth bullet & metaphysics note

3. - Top - End - #3

SolithKnightGuy

This is a low magic setting, urban fantasy similar to Dresden Files. Werewolves exist as dimorphics (human/wolf, not wolfmen), but this new character would be closer to a hybrid Druid; instead of becoming an animal, they take on aspects of a form. So in Bird Aspect, their arms become feathered and their chest muscles expand, their faces become birdlike, but they still have some humanoid proportions. Other forms I've come up with are Cat (close combat, low light vision, keen hearing) and Salamander (aquatic, llv, slippery skin), maybe Spider (poison Bite, all round vision, climbing) and Snake (poison Bite) as well.
    Clothes that change shape would be convenient, but I'm not sure it'd fit the setting. I've tried to stay away from overly magical clothing, as it opens up the setting to magic equipment like belt of Giant strength, which feels too meta gamey (the settings intended as role over rule play). Loose and adjustable clothing would be preferable; one of my friends suggested bandages that could be adjusted using a minor cantrip, though not sure if this'd look too inelegant for the character (who, despite being a Master of Many Forms of sorts, is also very snobby and aristocratic)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

What gender and ethnic background? A sarong would be easy to adjust but might not fit your character concept.

Alternately, could the character shapeshift their own exterior to appear to be wearing clothing? There's a piece of webfiction I follow where at one point one character wonders why another, a shapeshifter, never has any washing to do besides a towel ...

Depending on exactly how your game does effects like dispel/true seeing, an actual shapeshift might provide more resistance than an illusion.
    Last edited by avr; 2015-11-25 at 08:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Baggy clothes secured with a drawstring, belt, or something similar would work in a great many cases. Exactly what works would depend on cultural/fashion context, but tailored, close-fitting clothing would be very hard to work with. Here's some more specific ideas:

Athletic wear. Tracksuits are one example, but loose jerseys, sweats, basketball shorts, etc. all work, too.

For women: a loose, sleeveless one-piece dress cinched with a belt or rope at the waist. Undo the belt/rope, and there's a lot of room for the body to stretch and shift inside the dress without harming the fabric.

Like avr said, ethnic context can matter. Many robe-like Asian garments have plenty of room to adjust if the wearer changes size or shape, and some of them are still worn routinely (or at least on special occasions) by people in/from their countries of origin. My experience is Japan-focused, but I'd think that kimono, jinbei, yukata, or even a karate gi would be relatively easy on shapeshifters - just loosen/tighten the belt as necessary, or untie it if you need to get undressed quickly.
    I have decided I no longer like my old signature, so from now on, the alphorn-wielding lobster yodeler in my profile pic shall be presented without elaboration.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Kimono and some other wrapped and draped clothing are pretty much size free. You might need retie the closures after shifting but that's it

7. - Top - End - #7

SolithKnightGuy

Thanks for the advice; I like the idea of a Kimono without sleeves. Gender wise this particular character is female, though I wanted it open to all genders in the long run. Culturally is a bit strange. The character was raised in the Fey Courts, with her particular Guardians being modelled after 17th century foppery (immortals tend to find a fashion they like and stick with it, rather than try to keep up with societal changes). Fey are masters of enchantment and illusion, hence the Illusory clothing.
    Dispel/True Seeing is a bit complicated. One character (a human Wizard) has a light spell that shows the truth, and can cut through any illusion. It can't see through Transmutation though; if it's cast near a werewolf, it won't show it's real form, and spells like Alter Self won't be countered (as the face has in fact been reshaped). Dispel hasn't really come up yet, but I imagine it's an opposed caster check, with the defenders ability to focus on spells (ie: if they've been hurt, or if they're keeping multiple spells running concurrently) taken into account.
    I was reluctant to have the shifter have No Nudity Taboo as the werewolves, especially in between fights, won't bother getting dressed if they know they'll be changing again. While it's convenient for them, it does pose problems if they're interacting with people who aren't used to this.
    The stopgap measure I've come up with is the Shapeshifter does wear Illusory clothing, but an undergarment beneath (even Shapeshifters get cold) which she doesn't like other people to see as it's not as fancy or well made as her illusions. If her outer clothing gets dispelled or seen through, she'll be angry at the invasion of privacy, even though she's technically covered up.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

You could always learn to be a quick-change artist.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones