New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: FR: Quest for the Forgotten Key IC (Oak)

Meiphren Dunapuros

The wizard's answer was enough to satisfy Meiphren. But you wanted to be satisfied, didn't you, a whispering thought insinuated. Meiphren scowled and flicked at his ear as if brushing away a fly.

"Supplies? Uh, yeah. Well, I'm set for food and drink. I'm better in a fight than I am anything else, I guess. I've never had to face down a real magician, though, and this sort of task seems to be the type to attract their attention; so anything that would help me against spells would help. Other than that...I dunno, do you have some better armor than this? It's stout and well-made, but not very impressive. That's probably not the sort of thing a wizard like you would have hanging around." Plus, it was my uncle's--and I'd rather forget him if I could.

"Oh, yeah. What do you know about this--" he manifested his mindblade "--sort of thing? I've been told it's a 'divine grace of the mind,' or something like that; but the old man didn't know too much about it. Whatever it is, maybe it would be pertinent to outfitting."

"Let me think about your supplies question, though. Maybe I'll come up with something more helpful."
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-06-11 at 03:01 PM.
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eberhart

The dwarf's attention is only half on the conversation, still focused as he is on the box.

Hmm. Looks like this will take a skeleton key, about 2 inches. Gold, if it matches the housing.

There's writing on here, Ulryn. I don't get it. Do you know what it says, or is this part of the "forgetting" thing? And if you don't know what it is, I'd like to get some ink and parchment so that I can try to copy it for later.

Oh, uh, me, right! Well, Lager's your man in a fight, but I know how to break things. Sometimes fix em too, later. Usually, I use these.

A pair of finely-crafted steel maces hang from his belt. Both have a rounded and a flat surface.

And...supplies? Food's good. Maybe a wagon, if we're all travelling together. And...well, I used up most of my acid and alchemist's fire when we were torch - well, back in Sembia. You got anything like that?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PolkaBear View Post
    Meiphren Dunapuros
    "Oh, yeah. What do you know about this--" he manifested his mindblade "[color=orange]--sort of thing?
    And that's when Psyloke stabs you in the face.

Jericho

Jericho shrugged. He didn't really think he was lacking in any general faculties. But then, he wasn't exactly one to admit faults anyhow.

"I don't know of anything physical where I would need aid. However, if you have anything that could help me from being snuck up on, or even outflanked, that'd help."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lager

Grinning, Lager chimes in

Eberhart there is ugly and dumb. Got anything that can fix that?

He chuckles at his own wit.

Not sure that I need anything. General supplies for a trip for these city folk might be good, and I could use some rations. I got ok weapons and armor, I guess. Love the forest, though. Used to sneak out of the caves to wander them in the snow and ice. Drove everyone crazy doing that. Dunno what I need. Maybe you can tell me better than I can, anyway.

He looks at the old elf for a long moment. Then, he surveys the room, as if to see if there is something there that he desperately needs.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eberhart

Snagging his brother's leg, Eberhart twists and pulls him down off of his seat onto the floor next to him. He is grinning hugely.

Ugly! Says the guy who can't stay in one grove too long cause the bark starts peeling off the branches.

He turns to the elf, with a laugh like a strangled snicker.

I tell you what this guy's gonna need! Healing potions!

Abruptly, his smile disappears, and he shrugs.

Actually, a few emergency potions of healing would be great.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #36

Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren nodded. "Those are always handy when you don't have a cleric around. I usually did. So does that mean that none of you can cast a simple healing spell? Uh...no shame in that; I mean, I can't."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Jericho

The bard shook his head.
    "Aye, I know a few spells. Though I haven't yet had the time to study any healing spells. Given time though I can learn a few."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Xaal waits for a good moment to go up to Jericho and ask:

excuse me,Are you in the need of the services of an archer sir?
    Last edited by 1337_master; 2007-06-13 at 01:01 AM.
    Often Stroller of Gamer Flux
    http://heroofthepeople.proboards79.com/index.cgi
    Please Join...Please, Its about Video Games... Its great!
    to
    Don't click Here, Don't do it.!

don't click this link either!...
    I was A horribly Demonic Monster from hell in the great Link Vs Sephiroth Wars

Characters
    Xaal Truya

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Ulryn chuckled as the dwarves tussled on the ground. He began rummaging through a nearby trunk, tossing junky looking items over his shoulder as he went (some of which you'll have to duck to avoid getting hit by), muttering under his breath.

"Let me see.... Now where did I put that... I know it's in here somewhere... Ah yes, rusty gauntlets, circlet of fools, thumb gloves, aaaannnddd...."

Ulryn stood up, a large piece of what appeared to be black silk in his hands, and a big smile on his face.

"Voila!"

Blinking in confusion at the many blank faces in the room, he sighed.

"What, none of you have ever seen a portable hole before?"

Ulryn tossed the fabric against one of the walls where it stuck and became a three-foot hole. Ulryn promptly climbed in and began rummanging through an even larger amount of possesions, still calling out to the group from inside as he looked, even larger items flying out of the hole this time, and landing on the ground.

"Now, many have called me a fool for bieng such a packrat - I've never thown ANYTHING away you see, but I KNEW this stuff would come in handy sooner or later."

A mithral breastplate, some gloves, and a gorget clanged into the pile, followed by what looked like a couple magic wands, a stack of cloaks, and a strange box-like device which landed with a resounding thud.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

Jericho

Jericho jumped as the elf put a hole in the wall.
    "Holy f***ing ****! In all my days I've never seen such a thing."
    The bard then turns his attention to Xaal.
    "From the looks lad I beleive we'll all be in need of a good archer."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

From inside the hole you heard the sound of Ulryn chuckling to himself as he rummaged about, with the occasional clatter and a single solitary crash, followed by a curse in a language you've never heard.

"#*$*@! I always liked that mirror. Eberhart, while I'm looking, you can copy the writing on the box if you desire, but copy the two languages on different pieces of paper if you would, please."
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Well than I'm your man, sir." replies Xaal, All I require are the Objects that would Be beneficial to Me.
    to

Characters
    Xaal Truya

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lager

Lager blinks a couple of times slowly as the hole opens on the wall. He looks carefully at it before putting his head out the window to look at the other side of the wall.

Well, I'll be....

He casually wanders over and sticks his head in the hole, crouching to avoid the objects flying out of it. Reaching around inside it, he taps thoughtfully at the boundary.

Not stone. Not felt anything like it. That hole opened just like Eberhart's mouth, although it doesn't hold as much.

He looks over all the items stuffed in the portable hole.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot+7 for anything interesting.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eberhart

Shrugging as the elf disappears into the...whatever the hell that "portable hole" thing is, Eberhart scootches over on the floor to examine the gloves and cloaks that have been tossed out. He glances up at Xaal and nods.

This might'a been the one time bein' late works for you. Saved you a few hours of Lager's company.

Spoiler
    Show
    Examining the gloves and cloaks, looking for something of masterwork quality. Might be something good against the chill of outdoors. Appraise +2

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Xaal Raises an Eyebrow and says in a confused voice, What?
    to

Characters
    Xaal Truya

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eberhart

The dwarf grins crookedly at the archer, and returns to examining the clothes.

Oh. Ulryn's test for us - it was seeing who else would give up and go away. So by coming late...never mind.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"OOOOOOHHHH...Well that makes...a little sense..."
    to

Characters
    Xaal Truya

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

The air inside the extradimensional space felt eerie, like a charge of static electricity. Ulryn poked his head out from the top of the hole and looked down at Lager. As he looked up to see Ulryn in the odd position, he noticed that everything inside the room was stuck to the ceiling - or perhaps, that the inside of the portable hole was completely upside down compared with the rest of the world.

"Hey, hey, quit peeking - I'm sure there'll be more goodies in here for you later," He smirked.

He swung out of the hole, nimbly for such an aged elf, and landed somewhat uneasily astride the pile of goods he pulled out of the strange apparation.

"Now now, what have we here... OK, the cloaks are for each of you to help avoid unseen eyes and move more stealthily when required. The mithral breastplate is up for grabs, for our Bard I have a wand of magic missiles and for our ranger, a wand of cure light wounds, for the bard also a gorget to help protect against strikes to the throat, Aaaand...."

Ulryn picked up a small bag from the pile, which he emptied into his hands with a gleeful smile. It was full of rings and amulets.

"A ring of protection for you each! Xaal, a pair of gloves that I believe will make you even more accurate. Well, that's that, I suppose, unless any of you has a more specific request - I think I have a cache of basic weapons and armor here somewhere as well... But in any case, here is 20 gold apiece for miscellaneous expenditures, and here is a map that will lead you to Forest Gate."

The map he hands to Lager.

"Oh yes! I nearly forgot." He picked up the small boxlike device that had landed with such a thud. "This is a portable fortress if you REALLY end up in a bind, you'll find a way to contact me inside. Please only use it if you MUST - this thing attracts so much attention."
    Runa Redgrave

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lager

Lager picks up his stuff and opens the map. He grunts.

Good map. Shouldn't be any trouble to find that place. Any way to be sure we've found the right key?

Stopping to look over the items, he thinks out loud.

Something that would let us tell if something is magical might help...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eberhart

Wow. A good idea, Lager? We'll mark today on the calendar.

Eberhart gratefully takes the cloak and ring, and an extra bundle of arrows.

Well, no time like the present. I'm guessing we're all walking - is that good for everybody? And does anybody need to go back into town for their stuff, or can we take off from here?

21. - Top - End - #51

Meiphren Dunapuros

"It's almost like shopping in the Church armory." He grinned. 'Course, it's not like they ever let me get near it. Wish I knew why.

"Not to be choosy, or anything; but is there some convenient way to cart this stuff around? My pack is useful; but once you start loading it down, it starts to chafe."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Banned

Jericho

Jericho ( I'm assuming this is how it works) straps the gorget around his neck thoughtfully, and puts the wand of magic missile into an extra loop in his belt. His swings the cloack over his shoulders and puts the ring on his right middle finger.
    "I'm more then greatful for your generocity.
    But lads, I've all my gear with me, so I'm ready to go whenever."

Still a bit awed at the thought of a portable fortress.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lager

Thanks for the stuff. Guess we should be on our way to do your job. By the way, how do you activate the Fortress?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

"It can easily be activated by speaking the command word." Ulryn opened his mouth to speak it then thought better of it. "The word is spelled A-E-L-U-M-I-T-A-R. As for a more convenient way of carrying these things, it doesn't seem to me that you all have more than you can carry easily... If you like, you can take the mule from the stable with you, though he's still young and sometimes a bit ornery."
    Runa Redgrave

25. - Top - End - #55

Meiphren Dunapuros

"How's that? 'Aelumi--' uh, never mind."

"About the mule: I'm not all that good with animals. Let's just say that in my opinion, they're good mostly for eating. So unless someone else is a rabbit-hugger, I guess I'll make do with my pack."

"And that about does it for me. Ready to go? And thanks, Ulryn. You won't regret choosing us."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

Jericho

"I may be able to handle a mule. Ornery is just another challenge"
    Besides, it just might fight on their behalf sometimes. Somethinh to bear alot of weight is also good when transporting fallen allies of course.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eberhart

Eberhart sees that the amulet has not yet been claimed, and picks it up to examine it. Well, it probably won't kill me. He slips it into a side pocket.

Pushing down the contents of his pack, Eberhart lays his old cloak on top - good for an emergency blanket, he supposed.

Right, bro. You got the map. Which way now?
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2007-06-15 at 08:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If no one else grabs the gloves, I take them up, and Put them on my hands.
    to

Characters
    Xaal Truya

29. - Top - End - #59

Meiphren Dunapuros

"Forest Gate is north of Suzail. I'd rather avoid going back--uh, through--Suzail. Lotsa traffic around the capital, you know. It would slow us down."

"Is there a more direct route? Lemmee see the map."

[If Lager allows him a look at it:]

"Ah, there we go. We cut out to the west and enter the forest--there's a gorgeous inn with a small pair of serving girls at that crossroads." He blinked and paused, then continued. "It's the King's Forest, so I'm guessing that it should be well patrolled. If not...then we get to try out these new toys."

He sounded as if he'd welcome the chance to do so.
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-06-16 at 08:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lager

I've been managing Eberhart here for years. A mule should be no problem. Yeah, that path is as good as any, and I'm all ion favor of avoiding cities. Here, I'll hold that fortress thingy. Let's get going.

With a nod of thanks to the old elf, Lager grabs some standard supplies and heads out the door to wait on the rest of his companions.