New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default How often do you check you email on average?

I'm just wondering because yesterday I sent out too very important business emails and have yet to get a response. I sent them out relatively early (by this more than 24 hours ago) and I haven't heard back.

I'm wondering if I'm paranoid or overly pessimistic. Both people (as well as myself) live in America, and it is the weekend after Thanksgiving so could that be a factor. I'm just wondering at what point do I accept the fact they won't respond. Also, I've never meet either person before and was just told contact them so it's not like a response it guaranteed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: How often do you check you email on average?

My smartphone checks for my mails every two minutes.

But you say it's about business, so who would answer these on a weekend (if not top priority or them being terminally bored)?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Not that I think it could be significant for your issue, but... 1/day minimum. Holidays included.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

At least once per day, but I don't check business email (I got separate account) on weekends and holidays.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

My email is constantly open in another tab; as long as I am awake, I am checking my email while doing other things. Don't know why I do this, since nobody ever emails me...

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Personal, or work e-mail? Although the answer's pretty similar whichever one I'm doing--when I've finished whatever it is I'm currently doing I'll check to see if I've got new mail. How often that is depends on what I'm doing, obviously! I agree with Florian, though, I don't check work e-mail when I'm not working and I don't work weekends...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Personal, or work e-mail? Although the answer's pretty similar whichever one I'm doing--when I've finished whatever it is I'm currently doing I'll check to see if I've got new mail. How often that is depends on what I'm doing, obviously! I agree with Florian, though, I don't check work e-mail when I'm not working and I don't work weekends...
    I'm pretty sure one is a work email. The other I'm not too sure.

Still no response BTW. I'll give it until Wednesday just to be super optimistic.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I'd say a good general rule is to never expect a response to a business email on a non-business day. Some people check their business email accounts all the time, but many check only when actually at their job and working. Start your reply clock when you expect the person in question to be at work.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I'd say a good general rule is to never expect a response to a business email on a non-business day. Some people check their business email accounts all the time, but many check only when actually at their job and working. Start your reply clock when you expect the person in question to be at work.
    You could be right. Like I said, Wednesday and I'm being super optimistic.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Back when I worked in an office, I'd check every few hours. Nowadays, it's a surprise if I log into my email once a week.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, I have the app open pretty much all the time when I'm awake unless I want to do a bit of radio silence for a day or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, I never check my email. I get notified immediately whenever I receive any mail, work or personal

But. You might be conflating "receiving mail" with "responding to mail". I very often leave email unresponded to for days at a time, even if it's business-related. And I know I'm hardly alone in this. Whether it's because I'm formulating a response, or I'm too busy/stressed/lazy to type one, or I just can't be arsed (this last one comes up often).

Remember, what might be important to you isn't necessarily as important to the recipient. Give it a couple of days. I'd say up to a week, as I generally go through my received emails at the end of the week to make sure I followed up on everything. Unless it's time-sensitive, in which case I'd send a gentle reminder a day or two in advance of the deadline.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

All I know, as a freelancer, is that I usually don't get communications from clients anywhere between about noon on Friday and noon on Monday (or Tuesday).

As soon as the weekend rolls around, they're gone. It doesn't even matter if they gave me a Saturday or Sunday deadline for the work; I'm expected to get it done then, of course, but they don't acknowledge it (or pay me) until the start of the next week.

So really, I wouldn't worry yet. The chance of an American businessperson answering an email on the weekend is essentially zero; I'm speaking with 6+ years' experience here, too.

EDIT: I take that back -- I know one who will answer on the weekend (me). But that's mostly because weekends and holidays don't exist to me thanks to the constant struggle to stay afloat...
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2015-11-30 at 08:17 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I try to check it daily, but that figure lapses a bit occasionally. Usually it at least stays in the multiple times per week range, particularly when I need it for school (which is often). Actually responding can take a bit longer.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well I just got a response from one.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"On average" is irrelevant. The question is how often these two Americans check those particular emails on Thanksgiving weekend. That is a very different question. Some holiday weekends I don't check email at all, and I never check my business email over the holiday unless I know I will need to in advance.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    "On average" is irrelevant. The question is how often these two Americans check those particular emails on Thanksgiving weekend. That is a very different question. Some holiday weekends I don't check email at all, and I never check my business email over the holiday unless I know I will need to in advance.
    Good point. But today is Monday. So...thoughts?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Well you're probably not the only person who has sent them mail for one thing, they probably have other correspondences to work through as well as their job. Depending on what you were mailing them about they may have to speak with someone else on the matter before responding to you as well.

You should probably allow 2-3 business days for a response at the very least.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    Well you're probably not the only person who has sent them mail for one thing, they probably have other correspondences to work through as well as their job. Depending on what you were mailing them about they may have to speak with someone else on the matter before responding to you as well.
    I...didn't...even...think...of...that.

That is actually a really good point. They would have priorities, and I wouldn't be at the top. Wednesday still a good cut off point? I mean if they respond after that I'll still write back but what's still realistic.

Also thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm not sure how important these emails are in the long run, but I'm glad other people took the time to read and respond to this.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher Wizard View Post
    Good point. But today is Monday. So...thoughts?
    By Tuesday afternoon after a normal weekend, or Wednesday morning after a holiday weekend, I'd start to wonder.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    By Tuesday afternoon after a normal weekend, or Wednesday morning after a holiday weekend, I'd start to wonder.
    Depends on the context/content and priority.

If its stuff like contracts, legal department may have to look into it, if its a resumee, HR has to look into it, and so on. The more inter-departmental communication it has to pass, the longer it takes.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post

If its stuff like contracts, legal department may have to look into it, if its a resumee, HR has to look into it, and so on. The more inter-departmental communication it has to pass, the longer it takes.
    That's a good point. Also, one crucial issue is this: do they have any incentive to reply? When people send me business opportunities I have no use for, I ignore them.

Also, will replying take them away from the urgent part of their job? If it's not urgent, then it might wait awhile. Also, does a speedy reply serve them?

And what systems must it go through before the reply can be sent? Does Finance or HR have to deal with it first? Do partners have to approve the response? Bureaucracies can be very slow.

Finally, will the reply be electronic? If it's the sort of thing that must be on paper (in their view, not yours),you are at the mercy of the mail service.

So do you know that these people will reply?
    Do you know that they any reply will be prompt?
    How much do they have to do before replying?
    Do you know that the reply will be electronic?

So with the information you have given us, we have no way to predict if there will be a response, or how long it will take.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post

It's nothing quite as big/major as that. It's hard to explain, but it's the sort of thing one person can accept/veto without someone else being apart of it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

It's nothing quite as big/major as that. It's hard to explain, but it's the sort of thing one person can accept/veto without someone else being apart of it.
    So, you're new to all of this?

For example, an simple Quote can take up to 3 weeks, an answer that this quote has been received three more weeks.

Now that would be considered top priority...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can't help but feel I learned some kind of important lesson here today. Something along the lines of there are only two real tragedies in life: not getting what one wants and getting what one wants. That or battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes also into you.

Though I could be wrong/melodramatic.

I think I need to meditate...
    Last edited by Gopher Wizard; 2015-12-09 at 09:33 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

That sounds surprisingly ominous.

I mean, Nietzsche?

Though I do love that quote, especially the first translated version of it I encountered: "He who battles monsters must take care lest he become a monster; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, then the abyss will also gaze into thee."
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    That sounds surprisingly ominous.

I mean, Nietzsche?
    That's why I included this:

Though I could be wrong/melodramatic.
    Also I think the first quote is far more accurate. Though technically I didn't quote Mr. Wilde. I only paraphrased him.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

So are you going to tell us, or are you deliberately replaying your frustrating wait out on us?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Twice a day! Or more if I'm expecting something important.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

For work? Every 10 minutes or so. Checking is a very different beast from responding though.