New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default "Inasmuch as our orders touched on your side's action plan..."

Reading the most recent page again, that line struck me as, well, oddly-phrased. It gave me an idea. As far as we can tell, Charlie only seems to care about money. (Notice their efforts to sell communications on that page.)

What if the reason Wanda was angry at Parson before wasn't just because he'd been meddling with the Eyemancers, but because he'd been meddling with them to conduct diplomacy behind Stanley's back? They're used for communication as well as intelligence, and we know that even after paying for Parson's summoning, Stanley had the opportunity to hire Charlie if he wasn't such a, well, tool about it.

Given that the angels are Ansom's best remaining flying units, negotiating a secret alliance with them would practically guarantee victory in an air battle. This would also explain why Wanda was willing to go so far to destract Stanley... she might've talked him out of anything else, but it's clear allying with Charlie would've been the breaking point.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2007-06-06 at 09:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: "Inasmuch as our orders touched on your side's action plan..."

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Reading the most recent page again, that line struck me as, well, oddly-phrased.
    I think that's just the way they talk -- all of their quotes are in a rather stilted style compared to the way other characters speak. In particular, it's possible that the Archons routinely answer questions in a somewhat "lawyerly" manner to avoid inadvertently committing Charlie to anything he isn't getting paid for.

What if the reason Wanda was angry at Parson before wasn't just because he'd been meddling with the Eyemancers, but because he'd been meddling with them to conduct diplomacy behind Stanley's back? They're used for communication as well as intelligence, and we know that even after paying for Parson's summoning, Stanley had the opportunity to hire Charlie if he wasn't such a, well, tool about it.

Given that the angels are Ansom's best remaining flying units, negotiating a secret alliance with them would practically guarantee victory in an air battle. This would also explain why Wanda was willing to go so far to destract Stanley... she might've talked him out of anything else, but it's clear allying with Charlie would've been the breaking point.
    Unlikely, for any of several reasons (the obvious ones: What would Parson be able to offer on his own in this "secret diplomacy"? Why wouldn't Wanda chew him out about that along with everything else, if he'd done it?)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    it's possible that the Archons routinely answer questions in a somewhat "lawyerly" manner to avoid inadvertently committing Charlie to anything he isn't getting paid for.
    A mix between flight attendants and lawyers? Beauty and er ... moth. Those things must be deadly.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I have to agree that I don't think Parson is having any dealings with them on the side. For one, he laid out his strategy in his klog and makes no mention of the Archons or Charlie. Do we even know that Parson knows who Charlie is, or that through the lookamancers, he just knows that Ansom has three units called Archons.

Besides if Parson unlinked the lookamancers, he has no way of communicating with Charlie, only the other way around through Charlie's use of the "Archendish"
    Last edited by glenndo; 2007-06-07 at 12:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by glenndo View Post
    I have to agree that I don't think Parson is having any dealings with them on the side. For one, he laid out his strategy in his klog and makes no mention of the Archons or Charlie. Do we even know that Parson knows who Charlie is, or that through the lookamancers, he just knows that Ansom has three units called Archons.
    Parson knows that "Charlie" is someone who could have been an ally if Stanley had been willing to deal with him, but is now on Ansom's side. However, there's no indication that he knows much in the way of specifics.

Good point about the Klogs -- they're obviously not self-censored in case anybody else reads them (the first one describes the Erfworlders as "tiny cute people who made me their leader" -- if if Stanley ever read that, that's three potential causes for disbanding packed into eight words).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Just putting in my two cents: Archons seem to talk like that. Charlie is a businessman and as such his units don't commit themselves to anything they don't have to. And they use their free time as Charlie sees fit. Hence, they get orders that don't have anything to do with this gig.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

They're Charlie's Blue Angels. They're a mix between cheesecake mercenary secret agents and ace fighter pilots (or their planes, either way). I think it was intended to be milspeak, not legalese.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

It was just the Archons being arch.