New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: When all your friends are dead

Rhebin

Rhebin packs the flute away, satisfied at some distant sound or sight that's caught his attention.

"Yes...that would be the proper thing to do,"
    he says, having Aidan add a small addendum: I do not trust them.

"So, then, I will wait here with them while you find an undertaker.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Livina nods, and looks around at the wreckage one more time. She hesitates.
    "Hey, Rhebin? Thanks for not being dead." She flashes a brief smile, and then trots out of the remnants of the inn, looking for the discreet black signs that, at least in the Mokai kingdoms, marked one of the undertakers.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #33

Rhebin

"Why Livina," he whispers as she reaches the edge of his vision, "what a sweet-talker you are. I'm glad your not dead either."

Rhebin turns, waiting. Despite his best attempts to restrain his gaze, it eventually wanders and finds its way to the others, crossing over Ismal and Draven's corpses.

"Are...are...do you need any help?" he finally stammers out to any of the other nearby survivors.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Kizima

Kizima inspects the rings and amulets, and decides to leave Kaleff the holy symbol. She takes Hern's amulet, the two rings, and the bracers, though. As she lifts the greatsword, she pauses and lays it down back on Hern.

Maybe he should just be buried with it. It's too heavy to carry around besides. Now where is Sumner? He was here too.

Noticing that someone is guarding him, Kizima turns her attention back to her fallen comrades. She begins positioning their bodies in dignified poses, fit for burial. She puts Hern's sword in his hands, laving it vertically down his body. Kaleff...she positions in a manner that should fit in a casket.

After that, she puts on the ring she can identify, and puts the rest away in her backpack. Who knows what those do?

"See if you can make your way back, you two. I know it's been done, Kizima whispers silently to the two corpses. She then turns to watch the threshhold for signs of the undertaker.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

After getting free from the rubble Krashnix thanks the woman who helped him then surveys the scene of devistation around him. After a short time ,with regret in his voice he speaks.

This is most unfortunate. They seemed to be good people. I pray that their souls find Imshaeroths embrace quickly. We should build a funeral pyre for them, then scatter their ashes to the winds.
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Livina looks around, but can't see any undertaker's signs, nor those of the Priests of Veldaera, who perform funerals.
    However, at this point a detachment of guards marches around the corner, led by a couple of middle-aged, robed men, covered in mystic symbols and carrying staffs.
    They look at the destruction of the inn, shocked. By Gothul's festering foreskin, swears one, what in Goramesh happened here?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Kizima

"Somehow I think you will have trouble convincing me to burn what little is left of their bodies. I know already that it is no common rite for the dead. Burying them will be easy enough."

Isn't that guy a priest of Isana, according to Evil Hern? Fire goddess of some sort? I think he's trying to curry favor with her, or something.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

With a surprised look in his eye Krashnix turns to Kizima

Better to burn then and truely put their to spirits rest than bury and have them come back to haunt us. That was an unholy blast that killed them, so theres no telling what its effects might be. I understand your sentiments, these were your friends and your pain at their loss must be great, but think how much more terrible it would be for them to be raised as undead, forcing you to kill them all over again. Is that a risk you would be willing to take?

Krashnix pauses in thought for a moment, closing his eyes and thinking deeply.

Parhaps you would like them brourght back to life? I am not powerful enough to accomplish such a feat, at the temple of Isana a days ride from here it may be achievable. However, we are not priests of Imshaeroth so there is no guarentee, and such a service would not come freely. The costs for rasing back to life, especially of so many, is substantial, but if you have the will, and the gold it would be worth a try. What do you think?
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Seeing the guards, Livina makes a snap decision
    If I just keep on going, I certainly get to keep their stuff, but then the task of explaining stuff is left to...Orin and the shady guy, the midget lady, and Rhebin. Hm.
    Livina steps forward.
    "Um," she says, lifting a hand. "There was a fight, and then a Bazalite blew himself up, bringing down the roof. He...killed a bunch of my friends."

Livina looks for a passerby to ask about an undertaker.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-06-08 at 10:17 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, you! The wizard is pointing at those of you still atop the rubble. What's going on here!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Kizima

Why nothing, sir, just your average, everyday, friendly tavern game.

"Some psycho used unholy magic to explode himself and destroyed this place, plus a bunch of the people inside."

Having to fight my friends. Sounds familiar. Still, I do wonder if I'd be able to raise money to have them brought back. If there were a few nice houses in the area...

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

The wizards order their soldiers to help move the rubble, and get people out. They gesture for Kizima, Rhebin, Akim and Krashnix to come down and talk to them. Livina of course is off to look for an undertaker, and Orin seems to have made good on his promise and left, though none of you saw him leave...
    So, what details can you tell me? This man who exploded, what did he look like? Did he give any reason?asks the wizard who hasn't spoken yet.

Meanwhile, Livina is directed to a small shop full of coffins. Yes, miss, can I help you? asks the man at the counter.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-06-08 at 10:38 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Krashnix look at the wizard, his eyes cold and his tome sombre

As the woman said. There was a fight and the defeated man, a worshiper of Bazal, used his foul power to explode himself, and the tavern, when he found out he couldnt defeat the men he attacked. The man was old and had white hair. He called himself Hern, the 'Demon Knight' and claimed that he was not from this time. He wore armour that was black and covered in vile symbols of Bazal
    Last edited by Regwon; 2007-06-08 at 10:44 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

The wizard frowns. Bazal you say.
    Ravan Zere worships Bazal, hisses the other wizard. Could he have been a spy? Or maybe he's trying to scare us off by killing our civilians.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

Kizima

"He also came from some alternate version of our world, and served the emporer there. And he was here to make this world mroe like his, or something. It's hard to interpret the ramblings of psychotic killers."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    It's only as Livina steps across the threshhold and sees the stacked and mounted coffins that it hits her. She closes her eyes and leans for a moment against the wall. Gathering her wits about her once more, she straightens up and replies.
    "Yes...Some friends of mine have been killed, and I want to arrange a memorial for them. Can you do that?"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

You have our deepest condolences, miss. To be honest, it doesn't sound like it, the man probably says this a hundred times a day. Have you arranged with a priest of some sort for a funeral?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Livina shakes her head. "No. I don't think they'd want a service from any priests around here. Their homes are on the other side of Ravan's lands; I think just the memorial. A statue and a stone, perhaps. Is there a mortician who can do..." She waves a hand. "Embalming, dressing, all that stuff?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed, we can make a very nice set of gravestones. As to the mortician, there is one near the Wizard's Guild.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-06-08 at 12:25 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina nods. "I guess...we'll want at least three, and one double stone. I'll be back later." Stepping out of the door, Livina pauses in the street, watching people come and go for a few moments. With a shake of her head, she forces herself to smile. She was still alive, wasn't she? Besides, there'd be plenty of prospects in a city like this. Maybe she'd even make good on returning that locket. Setting off at a breathtaking pace, Livina runs towards the spires of the Wizard's Guild, revelling in the sensation of being alive and free.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Livina runs through the twisting streets towards the wizard's guild. She takes a short-cut through an alley way.
    Smash! Something heavy bashes the back of her head.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Reeling from the blow, Livina turns the forward impact into a turn, pivoting on one foot.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Livina spins around, only to meet another blow to the temple, knocking her unconscious on the floor.

24. - Top - End - #54

Rhebin

Rhebin approaches slowly, Aidan roosting on his head once more.

Don't spies usually need to live to relay their information, the psuedodragon offers to the wizards and all those gathered telepathically.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

True, nods the wizard. It's more likely to be a terror tactic. Anyway, we'd like you to come to the Guild and answer some questions, please.

26. - Top - End - #56

Rhebin

"With apologies," Rhebin says, gesturing politely towards Draven and Ismal, "I can not leave my friends until we have arranged for their proper burial. My friend Livina has gone to fetch an undertaker. After she has returned, I would be happy to answer any questions for the Guild."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Kizima

For the millionth time in the past week.

Kizima wordlessly begins descending from the rubble, but takes one last glance at the bodies.

"I'm assuming these will remain undisturbed, for the most part?"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

The wizards nod. We understand. How long do you think she'll be?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

Kizima

Guess we're waiting here then. Bori-wait a sec. Evil Hern was talking about all those titles. Orin mentioned earlier that he remembered them.

Ish'ti ka'nem.

"Y'know, I think there may have been a spy from somewhere. Name's Orin, has yellow eyes, last seen wearing black robes. He uses disguise illusions, though."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

A spy? Hmmm... the older wizard strokes his long beard. Perhaps we ought to send a message back about this.
    The other wizard nods. I'll tell the Guildmaster immediately. A man called Orin, yellow eyes, black robes, uses illusions. Was he Davethran then? Any other details for me to tell the Guildmaster? What makes you think he might have been a spy, was he with the devotee of Bazal?