New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: When all your friends are dead

You... you are right, but not completely. The old man slowly stands up to his full height. You get some sense of the great man the Colonel was when he was younger. You, Akim, you know the truth about me. And you know where I lived, who I served once Gothul died. We believed in the Empire that Khadoth wrought. And it was a great Empire. But the price... the magicks of the War Wizards are of vile nature. I have seen entire cities wiped out by one spell, children, the old, even the rats, even the tress died from their magic. If you can make an Empire that really serves the People, then do it. But do not do it with magic. It is an art that is simply too corruptible. You must do it with words, and with people. But I believe you can do it. If you can raise Sumner, then I believe that he can do it too.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim smiles at the colonel "Then all i ask of you is that you take the ring and use it to do what i no longer will be able to, should i fall on the expedition."

"Now about that letter."

Akim goes on and casts a Prestidigitation to heat the seal wax and apply a small amount next to his signature. Then he takes his signet ring and presses it into the wax.

"There. Sumner will know this comes from me."

Holding the letter for the old colonel to take, Akim says "Please give him this letter should i no longer be around. There were lots of things that needed to be said that we could not talk about and the letter covers but few of them. Still i hope it will help him find his path."

He also gestures for the maid to take the wax off his hands.

"Oh yes... and you are right about magic. It seduces, entices and corrupts into abusing it all too easily. That is why i fear for Qusa. I was hoping to get to speak to the mages but, time is running short. In a few hours we will start the expedition and i'd rather get a few preparations done. Fare well colonel Kesh."

Akim gives a bow to the colonel and turns to Krashnix.

"Thank you for coming along. Let us go and prepare ourselves."

Lycar

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

The colonel gives a military bow, his face unreadable, as Krashnix and Akim leave and head down the road.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Once they have left the house of the elder Kesh Krashnix speaks to Akim.

That was quite a speech you made. I almost believe it is possible. The sorry truth is, however, that all empire, noble or not, fall eventually. When empires fall people suffer and die. It has happened with every previous empire, and it will happen with every future empire. Such a large number of people as an Empire suggests should not be ruled by so few as empires have been. One ruler, or even a council of rulers should not make descisions for millions. Such people become detached from those who they are meant to benefit, and thus people grow discontent and angry and ideas of revolt fill their heads. Then there is the inevitable bloodshed and the cycle begins anew. If you wish lasting peace and happiness, you will not achieve it through such notions as 'empire'

On a different subject. I do not trust this Rego Vel that we are supposed to be working with. I may just be feeling mistrusting due to the incident with Orin, but there is something about him that makes me uneasy. I suggest that we keep an eye on him, just to be safe.
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Regwon View Post
    Krashnix

... people grow discontent and angry and ideas of revolt fill their heads. Then there is the inevitable bloodshed and the cycle begins anew. If you wish lasting peace and happiness, you will not achieve it through such notions as 'empire'
    Akim chuckles dryly at that "My dear Sir Krashnix, i am well aware of that. My choosen speciality is history after all. Still, given the sorry state our nation currently is in, i am also confident that the only way to consolidate the peoples hopes and will into rebuilding it is to rally them behind a strong leadership figure. Whether this figure is a true leader by himself or just a charismatic figurehead is of little importance. As long as people have to struggle just to survive, they will be all too willing to follow someone who promises them relief. So much the better if he can actually deliver. Only when people no longer have to fear the next winter, or the knockng on doors in the dead of night will the question of how to maintain peace and prosperity beyond the current regime become important.

Until then, questions about forms of gouvernment and administration are, i'm afraid, purely academical.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Regwon View Post
    Krashnix
    On a different subject. I do not trust this Rego Vel that we are supposed to be working with. I may just be feeling mistrusting due to the incident with Orin, but there is something about him that makes me uneasy. I suggest that we keep an eye on him, just to be safe.
    Akim nods to this "Seconded. An old saying goes something like: 'If it's too good to be true it probably / usually isn't.' Why i don't think he's planning on selling us off as snake food, i find it hard to believe that he is so easily willing to part with all the .. financically valuable findings of the expedition. Personally i'd peg him as someone who has set his eyes on something very specific. Let's just make sure he doesn't try to unearth the ancient dwarven secret of summoning devils from the abyss to form his own army or something."

He turns to look at Krashnix "Colonel Sumner is right about this. Magic corrupts. Be it as it may, i need a backpack to carry my equipment now. I don't think any of the others are willing to bother carrying my stuff for me. Oh and something more appropriate to wear on an expedition."

Akim examines his expensive robes with a wistful expression, then just sighs and walks on.

Lycar

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina toys with her long-empty mug and looks over at Kizima again.
    "Hey, can I ask; the scholar said you're a "halfling..." but I've never seen anyone like you before. Are your parents the same height as you? And...where are you from?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Banned

Kizima

Kizima doesn't immediately look Livina directly in the eye.

"It's not something I like to talk about. Not a secret, but...it's not an ancestry to be proud of. Most halflings are about my height, though I think now I'm a bit on the tall side. They're also cruel, primitive savages. They live across the sea, to the East I think. I was taken away when I was seven, and I really have no inclination to go back. There's not much else to say." After a pause, she looks back up at Livina. "Come on, we should start preparing for the trip. I am NOT going hungry this time."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    The Mokai woman nods and looks away, acutely aware of the awkwardness.
    "You're right, of course. Let's go. Last one ready buys the first round when we get back!"

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Livina and Kizima head out to get supplies, while Krashnix and Akim shop on the way back from the Colonel's house. It's easy to find basic supplies, there are lots of shops around.
    Eventually, you all arrive back outside the inn. Rego Vel eventually turns up leading two mules, their panniers loaded with supplies.
    Hello, everybody! he says enthusiastically. Are you all ready to go? Where's that Zhan?

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina tightens the shoulderstraps on her backpack and taps the toes of her boot lightly on the street, jogging from one foot to the other as she tests the balance of the pack. Apparently satisfied, she shrugs in an offhand way "Illness in the family."
    Flippancy aside, Livina frowns and looks off at the horizon.
    Hurry back, Rhebin...You're one of the few people around here I trust.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh dear, says Rego, I'm sorry to hear that.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Banned

Kizima

"Well, am I the only one eager to get through the insane cult-infested lands to a tomb of traps and horrible monsters? Come on, we don't want to waste any more of the week we'll need than we have to. Tomb excursions can take a while, from what I hear." Kizima adjusts her shoulder strap, and looks around to see how ready everyone else is.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim returns to the group in a somewhat more modest outfit (travelers outfit to be precise) and also wearing a backpack. He is still carrying his quaterstaff with the elven runes.

"Well, yes, as ready as i can get. I would have bought some more supplies but unfortunately i am running a bit short on coin. After all, i just returned from a prolonged expedition."

Lycar

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Livina eyes Akim's new outfit with mild curiosity, but then she shrugs.
    "Well, lucky for you, money is exactly what we're after right now! Lead on, sir." this last is directed with mock gravity towards Rego.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's go! says Rego enthusiastically. He leads you, and his mules, down the street. You walk for about ten minutes to the southern gate, which is guarded but open. The guards nod at you, obviously used to seeing parties of explorers heading to the ruins. You walk for another twenty minutes or so through rolling hills, until a bizarre sight appears. As you round a hill, you see the weirdest buildings you've ever seen. They are ruined, and obviously partially buried, but strange twisting arches, nightmare geometry, and a disregard for the rules of gravity, makes them appear as impossible. At first glance, they don't seem to have enough corners, too many sides, and so forth. The buildings spread about to the size of a small village, and reach about two to three stories. They are made of some unusual blue stone.
    This is it, says Rego, the ruins of the Illithids. This one's already been plundered though, and most of the traps are disabled.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    "Good practice, then." Livina comments as he examines the buildings. "so where's the portal?"

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

He points to what appears to simply be a twist in one of the walls, but when you peer at it you realise it's an entrance. We go in there, and through a few passages. I know the way, I've been in here lots of times before. He hesitates. I've never actually been through the portal though.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Krashnix straps his shield to his arm and loosens his mace on his belt.

Let us be quick then, and hope that nothing nasty waits for us on the other side.

Then, with the muttering of a few strange words, he casts a spell.

Spoiler
    Show

Extended Magic Vestments of his shield
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

19. - Top - End - #289
    Banned

Kizima

Kizima vies to be near the front of the group. She knows her eyes and ears are much more practiced than those of most of the rest, and would prefer to not leave the prevention of ambushes in their hands.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina drifts a little ways behind Kizima, apparently unconcerned with being completely unarmed and unarmored, although there is a brutal-looking mace bound tightly to the bottom of her backpack. She glances over her shoulder every so often with practiced care.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim just trails behind, apparently unarmed save for his staff. He looks at the insane architecture, making a face.

"Ugh. Merely looking at this gives me a headache. I certainly do hope it doesn't look like that inside too. Uh.. did you say 'most traps' ?"

Lycar

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Rego grins. Don't worry, I know the route to the portal's safe. I used to go through that route a lot, there's a really interesting set of carvings in the portal realm.
    You walk down to the opening in one of the nightmarishly-angled walls, and step through. Inside, the octagonally-shaped tunnel seems to be quite dark. Rego turns to you. Do any of you have any sort of magical light? I have torches, but I want to save them for an emergency.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim utters a few arcane syllabies while reaching into his component pouch with his left hand, still holding the staff and vaguely waving around his right hand, whereupon the elven runes on his staff begin to glow like a torch.

Then he gestures at the others to walk on with an expression akin to bored, condescending superiority.

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-07-18 at 11:27 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina rolls her eyes as Akim gestures.
    Bloody nobles...they think they're so great just 'cause their granddads were big murdering bastards.
    A thought strikes her, and she falls back a little until she's abreast of Rego. With a quick darting motion, she reaches up slaps him sharply on the shoulder.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Ow! he says, jumping back. What did you do that for?

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina scratches her ear, a little sheepishly.
    "Sorry," she says, "It's just that this offer came a little suddenly, and, well...I just wanted to make sure you weren't cloaking yourself with some kinda illusion magic." She trots a little ways ahead once more, taking up place behind Kizima.
    "Sorry." she calls, back softly.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking only slightly mollified, Rego leads you down through the tunnel. While it starts out as an octagon, the sides seem to mutate to 7, then back to 8, then to 9 sides. It also twists suddenly, at odd angles. Eventually, you reach a large room, with carvings all over the walls. By Akim's magical light, you can see what is depicted... and wish you couldn't. Tall creatures with tentacled heads seem to be ripping out the brains of humans. You also make out several other races having their brains removed, dwarves, gnomes, even Elves.
    On the other side of the room is a doorway made of some pale purple stone. There is no actual door, only a space of deepest darkness, which Akim's light does not penetrate.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina winces at some of the more graphic carvings.
    "Lovely...who took a lobster's head and put it on a scarecrow? Is that what an Illithid is?" She shudders a little, and then begins taking a slow, measured pace around the portal room, looking for unpleasant surprises.

Search - (1d20+8)[16]
    (presumably to Aid Kizima)

29. - Top - End - #299
    Banned

Kizima

"Do these things care for no art other than...whatever they're doing? A nice sculpture of a bird or something would be much nicer."

Kizima goes around with Livina, also checking for any signs of nastyness in the room.

"So, is this thing the portal? Why did the 'illithids' construct it?"

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking carefully around, Kizima notices that there are a couple of small holes in the roof, leading into dark pipes. She also notices that several of the oddly-shaped floor tiles are actually pressure plates. But Rego is standing on one of them, and nothing has happened.
    The scholar shrugs in answer to her question. I assume to travel between their cities, that would seem logical. We don't know for sure though.