New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: When all your friends are dead

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina bites her lip and carefully frames her next sentence
    "Hey, Rego? You're standing on a pressure plate. It might be part of a trap that doesn't work any more, but I think it's best we stay off of them, okay?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Banned

Kizima

Pressure plates...pipes...poison gas trap. But these things eat brains...obviously it's a sleep gas trap, probably very powerful. And with cultists snooping around, we can't afford to be unaware. Still, it's old, and it looks like part of it doesn't work. Besides, there's a good chance that whatever substance they used has gone impotent by now. I've seen it happen with only months of disrepair. This has obviously been abandoned for at least decades, maybe centuries. Still...it can't hurt to be careful.

"It looks like the builders marked the pressure plates in a manner that would be recognizeable to someone looking for it. Just stay off tiles that look like that, that, and that." Her finger points to a few tiles that she recognizes as pressure plates as she speaks. "And if you hear any funny noises, hold your breath and pinch your nose tight. I think it's a sleep gas trap, and that would give you at least a few extra seconds of conciousness."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim examines the gruesome murals with a morbid curiousity, mumbling ".. sure hope these are not the portal operation instructions..." under his breath.

When Livinia mentions 'pressure plates' he does perk up however, and tries to get a look at what Rego is really standing on. So he can avoid these pressure plates himself.

"Actually, these paintings aren't that much different from what you would find in any other temple or palace: depictions of day-to-day activities and rituals, both mundane and religious, of the people who lived here. It just so happens that these people happen to look like an unholy cross between a ... squid ? cuttlefish ? .. and a man. Oh and this looks a lot like a royal banquet. Except they have elf brains for delicacies."

Lycar

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Rego glances down, and jumps back, but then relaxes. Don't worry, I've been here lots of times before. The traps were all disabled by treasure-hunters centuries ago. He turns to Akim. We believe that these murals are actually depictions of a great victory in the war when the Illithids conquered Davethra 4000 years ago. He walks over and points at one of the figures having his head devoured. You see the line coming off his waist, and the circle on his arm? We think that's a sword and shield. The Illithids didn't use weapons, so they didn't depict them very accurately. He talks enthusiastically, it's obviously something he's very interested in. But this room's murals only seem to contain what we believe are warriors and mages on the non-Illithid side. It does make sense after all, you depict your great victories and your mythology on the walls of your government buildings, not just mundane life. He walks back to the corridor you came down, and points to another opening that you passed about ten foot back. That room's pictograms show dead Illithids being fed to giant brains with tentacles. We believe that the "Elder Brains" as they're called, were the governing entities. From translated texts, it seems Illithids believed that when they died they were absorbed into the Elder Brain and carried on living as part of it's collective consciousness. But later this Illithid wizard, whose name I won't try and pronounce, started claiming that their religion was a lie, and that dead Illithids went to the Underworld like everyone else. Anyway, they had a big civil war, but you won't find that depicted anywhere, because that was the end of their civilisation. Luckily for us, the civil war distracted them while a bunch of human wizards, led by Vellan Zere, summoned the demon-Gods Gothul who summoned a bunch of other demon-Gods, and they defeated the Illithids. Which is why we're not still ruled by them today. He finally finishes his lecture, looking very pleased with himself.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-07-19 at 02:09 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim listens to Rego's lecture fascinated, stealing a glance at the murals every now and then when he points them out.

"Fascinating indeed. I am myself an expert in history, unfortunately i found it quite impossible to glean any insight into the history of our lands before the empire from any Illithid source."

Akim gives a shrug of regret "As usual, the victors choose to rewrite the books in their favour and apparently took great pains to eradicate any illithid writings they could get their hands on. Understandable and maybe even prudent politically but very regrettable for the sake of science."

Lightly tapping his chin with his staff, he continues "Still, while the records i did get access to were exclusivly written by non-illithids, and therefore heavily biased... yes, one would have to compile those records and compare them with the depicted history in these ruins.... why, i could make this my next project, seeing that my expedition into the ash desert was.... unsatisfactory...."

Akim keeps peering at the pictures curiously, using his torch-staff to get a good view. (Which might mean that the others don't get the kind of illumination they might hope for.)

Lycar

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina listens with half an ear to the recitation as she slowly encircles the portal.
    "Is it on already? And...once we're through, can we just step back in to come back here?"

7. - Top - End - #307
    Banned

Kizima

"Okay, wow, this is fascinating, but why don't we get a move on while we're still safe, eh? I don't relish the thought of getting back a day too late to save our friends."

With that, Kizima walks toward the portal, carefully avoiding the pressure plates, more out of instinct than any real worry of danger.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Forcing himself to tear his eyes off the pictures, Akim looks at the mysterious contraption.

"Hm yes well, these murals sure aren't going anywhere. Back to the matter at hand. Or more to the point: How does this thing work ? "

Lycar

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

You just walk through it. I've never been through, he says, but one of my friends did once, and he came back easily. We don't go through it anymore, though, because, well... he looks uneasy. The other ruin's full of crazy cultists.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina rolls her shoulders, steeling herself for the next few hours. Stretching her arms , Livina cracks her knuckles and then glances down at the halfling Kizima.
    "Maybe Kizima and I should take a quick look around first, before people with armor and animals go clunking around the ruins, eh?"

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim looks between Livinia and Kizima "Well, maybe only one of you should go but under the cover of invisibility ?"

Lycar

12. - Top - End - #312
    Banned

Kizima

"I should probably go. I have some armor, plus I have lookout training. And, if anything goes wrong, I'm harder to hit. So, you guys...if I come running and screaming out of there, just prepare an attack."

Of course, I have to actually trust him to cast a spell on me. What fun.

Kizima rolls her shoulders once and lets out a sigh, as she approaches Akim.

"Let's get this overwith, I don't know how long this spell will last, and however long it is, I doubt I can get much of a look around with it."

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Livina nods recluctantly.
    "Okay. if you're not back in...I dunno, ten minutes?"

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim reaches into his spell component pouch, utters some strange syllabies and makes a few complicated gestures with his hand. Then he steps up to Kizima and puts a hand on her shoulder, whereupon she vanishes.

"You've got five. Make them count."

Lycar

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    As if to reassure Kizima, the Mokai woman nods.
    "Yep, you're invisible. Good luck out there..."

16. - Top - End - #316
    Banned

Kizima

Kizima nods, and quickly goes off towards the portal.

Not like they can see me nod, though. Gotta remember that. I didn't want to risk talking, since it might have made the invisibility go away. Marten tried to use some similar spell, and it faded when he tried to steal something. Poor guy. Those guard dogs were angry.

When she exits through the portal, she suddenly remembers that she can't see a thing in total darkness.

Can I risk a lantern? Well, I doubt the cultists can all see in the dark, so I will be able to see when they approach, and if I move slowly...I won't go too far in. If I get lost, I die. Should have thought of that. Maybe asked to see the map. Too late.

With that thought, Kizima carefully measures her steps and direction, walking slowly, with her hands out in front of her to give her warning of any obstacles.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kizima feels a cool ripple as she passes through the portal. On the other side, she slowly walks forward, hands extended, and walks eight steps forward before her hands hit a wall. She realises that it is not quite pitch black, but there is a very, very faint light. As her eyes grow accustomed to the tiny light, she realises it is coming from an opening to the right about 5 foot.
    She can also hear the faint sounds of a conversation, probably several tunnels away.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-07-20 at 02:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Banned

Kizima

Okay, they're first encampment. Get a count, figure out if they're a main force or a scouting force, and pcik out key targets. Then get back. If there's time to get over there in the first place.

Kizima walks toward the light, dragging one hand lightly along the wall.

Hope they don't have alarm spells or perimiter traps. Obviously they don't use the portal, so they wouldn't lose much from it. I'm liking this less and less.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    She steps into the dark corridor, and walks along until she almost bashes into a wall after about ten foot further down. The path has turned left, and following it, she walks another ten foot or so until she is at the edge of a large room. Light comes from a fire in the middle, and sitting around it are three slightly dishevelled-looking men in green and black robes.
    Bloody magister, says one, he thinks just because he's where he is, he can make us do his dirty work for him. He spits. I never want to see another mop in my life.
    No wonder, chuckles another, you're hardly a paragon of cleanliness.
    The third man laughs at this, but then leans forward and speaks quietly.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Banned

Kizima

Green and black...they're cultists all right. But since I'm totally invisible, it can't hurt to move closer and hear what they're saying away from prying ears. Which means...there are more nearby, who will be coming to check on them in due time. Can't afford to make a mess here yet, even though I could probably take these chumps before they even realized that I was half as big as them. But that would raise an alarm once their little supervisor came. I hate large organizations.

With that thought, Kizima creeps close, hoping to hear what they're talking about, and perhaps to gather more details about what tools and armaments they might have at hand.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Creeping closer, Kizima can see that the robed men are armed with long, evil-looking daggers, all jagged ripping edges. They also seem to have buckets and mops at their feet. As she gets closer, she can make out what the third man is saying. Speaking about the Magister, did you hear about him and Zarya?
    What about him and Zarya, says the first man sharply, who you see is the shortest of the three, a Qusan with a scraggly beard.
    Well, says the other man, a slim man with a scar running across his face, over his nose, quietly, Akan says that when he went into the Magister's bedroom to borrow a book, he saw someone naked hiding under the bedsheets, and then he watched the door later, and Zarya came out of the Magister's room about 2 in the morning! The scarred man looks pleased with himself, but the faces of the other two are oddly blank of any reaction.
    Well, says the last of the three, a Zhan judging by his red eyes (though that could just be the reflection of the fire), you think that's scandalous. I heard from Davar that the Nakala found a secret compartment in the Master of Knives' bedroom floor, and there was a copy of the 19th Book of Syra in there! He too looks pleased, as if he has revealed something shocking, but the other two don't react.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Banned

Kizima

Taking advantage of the fire one last time to check out what kind of other ways there are to go after that chamber, Kizima soon turns about and carefully makes her way back to the portal.

19th book of Syra...I have to see if our historians know about that. It could be valuable.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Kizima manages to find the portal in the dark and slips back through, to find the others waiting nervously for her.
    They don't know she's returned though, as she's still invisible.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Banned

Kizima

Why don't they- oh, right. Still invisible. Hmm...none of them have their weapons drawn...should I? None of them are too old. Then again, I don't wat to deal with the smell if Rego or Akim soil themselves. Shame. Guess I'll have to use a less surprising method.

Still standing fairly close to the portal, Kizima lets out a loud whistle.

"Over here, everybody. I think we've got our work cut out for us."

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim perks up as he hears the familiar voice of the halfling woman.

"Ah, you are back, alive and well as i see... or rather, not see. Want me to drop that spell for you ? So what did you learn on your journey into the maw of the serpent ?"

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-07-21 at 01:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina jumps slightly as Kizima makes herself known, and looks about the room for a moment.
    "Er, okay. What kind of work? Anyone on the other side?"

27. - Top - End - #327
    Banned

Kizima

"I only ran into a few peons, they're the closest bunch. But there are plenty more cultists. Our best hope is to cut a swath through them all. They're organized, and they can't be at all few in number. The one thing that made me curious was that they were mentioning some kind of book as if it were scandalous. It was the 'Nineteenth Book of Syra'. So, if our historians find any value in it, we might be able to make a side trip. It could be worth a lot of money, and that is what we're after."

Kizima looks down at her hands to see if she's still invisible.

Wait, can I see myself if I'm invisible? Never bothered to check, did I?

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

The 19th book of Syra? Rego nods. I know that. Syra is the shapeshifter God, an Elder God with many forms, and many contradictory doctrines. There are twenty books of Syra, each with a completely different set of doctrines.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina makes a thoughtful sort of noise.
    "Hrm. So...worth our while to swipe, is it? And if there's twenty, then it's not important enough for Syra itself to get mad at us, right?"
    The Mokai acrobat taps her fingers on the outside of her thigh.
    "But they were all human cultists? Were they all wearing the same things?"

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Rego looks confused. I don't understand. You said that one of these cultists had a book of Syra. But I was told they were cultists of Silarthis. Why would they have an artefact of a different Elder God?