New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: When all your friends are dead

Akim shifts his glare from the surviving acolyte to Kizima, visibly shaking (with rage ?).

"Excuse me ? Excuse me ?! While we valiantly charged into battle and suffered for it" here he waves his staff in Livinia's general direction "a certain someone deemed it neccessary to keep herself out of trouble, letting the others do the bleeding for her. And when someone else does his best to help out, it's not good enogh for her ladyship either !"

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-09-28 at 01:25 PM.
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Livina stumbles over to the captive woman.
    "Hi," she says, with a brief flash of a smile before she begins examining the bindings, "Um, don't worry about them. I'll have you free in a jiffy."
    The Mokai woman closes her eyes for a moment and straightens her right hand, tensing the joints as she draws her arm back.
    With a swift motion, Livina slices the ropes binding the girl with the edge of her bare hand.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #453
    Banned

Kizima

"Let others bleed?! I stood in the doorway being attacked by everyone in the gods-bedamned room while you cowered in the corner! You only charged in because you lost your nerve and have the tactical senses of a mosquito! I was almost able to stop anyone else from being hurt, but you had to go ahead and tell the bloodthirsty fanatic to go on a killing spree! Do you think I wanted Livina to get hurt? Do you think I wanted to fight at all? I hate fighting, but at least I understand the necessity and the risks, while you seem as blissfully ignorant of both as you are of everything else! The only way you can be useful right now is getting Krashnix to help me hold this woman, since I'm sure she could easily overpower you." Kizima turns her attention back fully to holding on to the acolyte

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Oh that's rich ! One of our allies gets beaten down and the only one of us who goes in to help distract the enemy from delivering the death blow is the man who did not devote his live to learning how to kill people ! You think i'm useless ? Just because you have no sense whatever to appreciate the work and dedication i put into my studies, to learn and learn and learn, so that i can fulfill my duty as a noble to educate the common folks, who sadly cannot dedicate their lives to learning, does not mean you are qualified in any way, whatsoever, to judge my worth as human being."

Thats where Akim pauses a moment to draw breath.

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-09-27 at 04:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Krashnix watches the argument with a raised eyebrow, and when Akim remembers to breath, manages to get a word in edgewise.

For supposed companions you do argue fantastically, but as long as it does not endanger any of us i care not.

He looks at the woman that had been recently freed from her bonds.

You there! Although I am inclined to kill Silarthis scum like yourself I will allow you this opportunity to bargain for your life. In return for you not dying a most blisteringly painful fiery death you must immediately show us the way out of this serpent pit. Once we are out you shall go to the nearest settlement and dedicate yourself to something other than the worship of vile creatures. I can tell you now that if you choose death your ashes will serve only to line the filth-ridden floor of this place. Now choose!
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

6. - Top - End - #456
    Banned

Kizima

"Educate?! Is that what you call it? In the version of Davethran I learned, we called it opression and cruelty! I happen to have spent my life learning to take what scum like you keep from others without killing you, not learning to kill people! And for all your supposed learning, you seem to be about as worldly as a mayfly, though it might be an insult to mayflies, since even they should know a thing or two! Why don't you hold a torch and carry things like the witless ass you are instead of pretending to be something that rightfully deserves the ability to speak!"

7. - Top - End - #457
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Regwon View Post
    Krashnix

Krashnix watches the argument with a raised eyebrow, and when Akim remembers to breath, manages to get a word in edgewise.

For supposed companions you do argue fantastically, but as long as it does not endanger any of us i care not.

He looks at the woman that had been recently freed from her bonds.

You there! Although I am inclined to kill Silarthis scum like yourself I will allow you this opportunity to bargain for your life. In return for you not dying a most blisteringly painful fiery death you must immediately show us the way out of this serpent pit. Once we are out you shall go to the nearest settlement and dedicate yourself to something other than the worship of vile creatures. I can tell you now that if you choose death your ashes will serve only to line the filth-ridden floor of this place. Now choose!
    Lucidae

"I... don't worship Silarthis?"
    The thin woman visibly shakes with fear at Krashnix's ultimatum.
    "I'll try..." she responds meekly. "I think I know a way" though from her tone of voice you can't be sure if she expect positive results. "I'm pretty sure I can lead you out."
    She pulls herself to an upright position and avoids Krashnix's gaze by focusing below his eyes. "Which way would you prefer?" her eyes dart about the room, taking in the exits.

"I was just the sacrifice..."
    "That's all. I promise" she mumbles to herself, as if it needn't be heard - gaze brought downwards as she tries to remember the way she came in.

The woman you have just rescued is thin, waif-like, underendowed. Her hair is straight, blond, her eyes a muddled blue. She's dressed in a white sacrificial shift. Her face is slightly angular and a bit puffy, that of a human woman in her early twenties. Her skin is fair, almost flawless and her hands are delicate, as if she spent her life reading. Upon straightening herself and finally standing up you notice she is rather short, about five feet tall.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-09-28 at 02:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina rolls her eyes. "Krashnix, I'm pretty sure no one gets sacrificed willingly to any kind of god. If she can lead us out, then I'm sure she will. You don't gotta shout." With that, Livina offers a friendly nod to the woman.
    "'Scuse me a sec," She wanders over to the bleeding corpses of the cultists and proceeds to search them for valuables, seemingly ignoring the flaming row going between Kizima and Akim.

9. - Top - End - #459

Lucidae

The woman smiles back but manages to look slightly demented doing so, probably out of fear as she is still focused on the man talking to her. She nods carefully to him in confirmation of Livina's first statement.

Once she's sure Krashnix isn't going to put her down and the quarrel dies down she introduces herself. -
    "I'm Lucci Baker, my lineage hails from Qusa - I'm a professional explorer..." She looks at the heavily armed people around her. "Thanks for saving my life." she says with some trepidation lingering in her voice as she dries a tear with the sleeve of her dirtied white shift. "I thought I was going to die."
    "These people assaulted me, stole my possessions, killed my pet and intended to sacrifice me to their vile god!" she shoots a hate-filled look at the remaining acolyte, ignoring the mostly intact corpses on the floor.

"I was carrying thousands of gold from a treasure chest I found in the Ash Deserts... you can have it as a thanks if you manage to recuperate it."
    Not quite daring to look away from Krashnix entirely her eyes flit over at Akim, staying there for longer intervals. Taking him in. After a few moments she suddenly courtsies noticeably in his direction. "You... look like a noble. Is this your retinue? I... I know some magicks. I can be of help. I promise. Thanks for saving my life."
    She wipes a few more tears, cleaning the dirt away from the sleeves of her shift and making it gently see-through. "Oh God."
    Without further consternations she tiptoes barefoot past the armored soldier and grapples the scholar around the waist to cry on his chest.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-09-28 at 06:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

Livina finds that the male Acolyte only appears to have his clothes and a dagger. The Cleric however, besides his dark mace, has a very fancy ring on his hand.

The other Acolyte has gone still, just staying where she is and watching in shock as Akim and Kizima yell at each other.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall View Post
    Kizima

".... Why don't you hold a torch and carry things like the witless ass you are instead of pretending to be something that rightfully deserves the ability to speak!"
    "Oh ! Oh ! This just keeps getting better and better ! You brazenly admit to willfully being a thief and parasite and then you have the audacity to call me a cruel oppressor, just because of the circumstances of my birth ?! And about that witless ass, obviously the sheer possibility of someone not being a baby-eating demon-worshipper despite being of noble blood is too big to fit in that little head of yours. It takes a greater person then you to judge people by their actions, not their heritage. But this concept just goes over your head. Your moral integrity is dwarfed even by your miniscule stature and someone as smallminded as you should be carefull about who to call witless."

While Akim still seems to be far from finished with Kizima, he gets interrupted.

Not quite daring to look away from Krashnix entirely her eyes flit over at Akim, staying there for longer intervals. Taking him in. After a few moments she suddenly courtsies noticeably in his direction. "You... look like a noble. Is this your retinue? I... I know some magicks. I can be of help. I promise. Thanks for saving my life."
    She wipes a few more tears, cleaning the dirt away from the sleeves of her shift and making it gently see-through. "Oh God."
    Without further consternations she tiptoes barefoot past the armored soldier and grapples the scholar around the waist to cry on his chest.
    Akim blinks as the woman basically throws herself into his arms, momentarily silenced. But then he just shoots Kizima one last angry look and changes his demeanor dramatically.

"Now now... no need to be afraid. You can thank Sir Krashnix and Lady Livinia for your timely rescue, all i did was to offer some modest assistance. And i am truly sorry to disappoint you, but these fine people are not my retinue. We just travel together because we are united by a common goal."

He gently pushes the small woman back so he can look at her face.

"Ach, but where are my manners !"

Giving a slight but polite bow, Akim introduces himself "I am Akim Kar'zad of clan Kar'zad. Adept of the arcane and aspiring Loremaster of history."

He keeps smiling reassuringly as he continues "While i am sadly not very adept at the martial arts, Sir Krashnix is a holy warrior and will protect any innocents from harm. Isn't that right Sir Krashnix ?"

Lycar

(Sorry, did miss the changes to Lucidas first post)

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-09-28 at 01:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Banned

Kizima

"Oh, so I suppose you're claiming that you actually practice morality and don't just live by fear for your own brittle hide! You may think that your scribblings on scraps of parchment give you some kind of insight, but I've met blind, deaf, and dumb people who know more about the world than you. Now, get out of my sight, and don't think I won't hurt you if you dont'."

((Okay, seriously, out of character, the short jokes are fine. In character, especially in an argument...they're just a little stupid. Okay, they're a lot stupid. And very annoying. ))

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Whistling softly, Livina recovers the mace and the ring. After a little thought, she wipes her own blood off of the weapon and binds it along with the other heavy mace sitting atop her backpack. She examines the ring, critically, listening with half an ear to the shouting match taking place. She slips the ring on her finger, and then begins examining the altar itself, half-hoping for jewel-encrusted knives or golden blood-bowls.
    She lifts her head from her search.
    "Wait, did you say thousands of gold pieces?" Running a hand through her hair, the Mokai woman turns her head to one side and looks at Lucidae.
    Her expression softens as she sees the woman crying. Dropping her pack, Livina fishes around inside and produces an extra set of clothing.
    "Not sure if these will fit you, and they're a little travel-stained, but its better than nothing down here. Here." She hands them to Lucidae, with an awkward smile. "It's okay. We'll get you out of here. And we'll help you recover your things, if you can lead us back to the surface."

14. - Top - End - #464

Lucidae

Lucci takes in his reply, holding on to one of his arms. She seems a bit nervous as the woman threatens the scholar but nods respectfully back at her. "Thanks everyone" she murmurs, casting a cursory glance over the band again. So the soldier who had threatened her was in truth a valiant knight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Skenardo View Post
    Livina
    "Wait, did you say thousands of gold pieces?" Running a hand through her hair, the Mokai woman turns her head to one side and looks at Lucidae.
    Her expression softens as she sees the woman crying. Dropping her pack, Livina fishes around inside and produces an extra set of clothing.
    "Not sure if these will fit you, and they're a little travel-stained, but its better than nothing down here. Here." She hands them to Lucidae, with an awkward smile. "It's okay. We'll get you out of here. And we'll help you recover your things, if you can lead us back to the surface."
    "I'm... in your debt." Lucci replies softly to Livina with a warm look as that of embers. She quickly lets go of Akim and pulls the undersized items of cloth over the licentious shift she's wearing, her arms falter outwards to do so and you notice her nails are gone, replaced with small bloody tears in the reddish skin not caked over with dried blood.

"It's that way" she points towards the exit opposite of them in the room. "through a corridor, stair leading up to the left, sloping exit out right to the fresh air. Outside. I think."
    "'t. Actually 'twas hundreds of platinum coins... in a strongbox. she answers the Mokai's enquiry - her gaze transfixed on the door at the far side. "They left it there after their ritual with me with my possessions."

With an autonomous look to her she starts making her way towards the other end of the room with a series of quick falling steps, then stops, turns with a nervous look at the party and makes a nearly zombified gesture on herself as she speaks 'Mage Armour'.

"S-shouldn't somebody kill her?" Lucci says, pointing at the other human woman in the room. Baker'll keep an eye on the exit, but next thing she does is cast 'Shield'. From the sulpherous tone of her voice it doesn't seem like she would mind doing it herself.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-09-28 at 08:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    The corner of Livina's eye twitches as Lucci intones "the ritual," and she glances at the remaining cultist. Her face very, very blank, she walks slowly to Kizima's side, facing the cultist. Over her shoulder, she asks.
    "What...ritual? Is that what happened to your nails?"

16. - Top - End - #466

Lucidae

"I... don't know much about Silarthis but I heard torture is like foreplay to the worship." She looks up at the halfling, trying to read her expression, it not being disgust or horror.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-09-28 at 08:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina's eyes narrow, and her blank expression flares into one of pure hatred as she glares at the living cultist.
    "You think pain is fun, huh? You like knocking out women and then torturing them? I wouldn't wipe a cow's arse with you, you festering gob of malice."
    Livina raises her hand as if to slap the cultist, but then balls it into a fist as she spins and delivers a terrific backhanded blow to the woman's jaw!

Spoiler
    Show

Attack - (1d20+12)[22]
    Damage - (1d10+3)[7]
    Sneak Attack - (4d6)[13]
    EDIT: Meant to be subdual damage. For Now.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-09-28 at 07:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Moechi_Vill View Post
    Lucci lets go of Akim and pulls the undersized items of cloth over the licentious shift she's wearing, her arms falter outwards to do so and you notice her nails are gone, replaced with small bloody tears in the reddish skin not caked over with dried blood.
    Upon noticing what happened to Lucindae's fingernails, Akim goes quite pale.
    Or rather, he looks like he should, only his face doesn't change tone.

"For all that is good and mercyfull, Sir Krashnix please, spare some curative magic for this poor woman !"

Lycar

19. - Top - End - #469
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler
    Show
    Krashnix doesn't appear to be wearing any armour. All that he is wearing is a deep blue robe inlaid with designs of flames and with the emblem of a rising phoenix on the chest. If there were armour underneath it would be quite apparent. However when he moves it sounds as if he is wearing plate.

Krashnix

Krashnix stands with arms folded regarding the almost sacrificed girl with suspicion.

I wish you to know that I still do not fully trust you. Stranger things have happened than willing sacrifices, but if you are willing to make a donation to the worthy cause that my companions are raising coin for,100 pieces of platinum would not go amiss. Then I may see you in a gentler light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycar
    "While i am sadly not very adept at the martial arts, Sir Krashnix is a holy warrior and will protect any innocents from harm. Isn't that right Sir Krashnix ?"
    I live to serve Isana. All of her enemies shall become ashes under my feet. I do not wish to harm those that have done no wrong, but the definition of 'innocent' is merely relative to the beholder. If the story of this Lucci Baker of Qusa proves to be true, then my protection I will offer as long as we travel together. You will however forgive my suspicion. It is my experience that people met in dungeons may not always be as they seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Moechi_Vill
    "S-shouldn't somebody kill her?" Lucci says, pointing at the other human woman in the room.
    Yes. Yes they should.

He walks over to the last remaining cultist, draws his mace, which lights itself aflame, and proceeds to hit the woman in the head until it becomes an ashen pulp.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycar
    "For all that is good and mercyfull, Sir Krashnix please, spare some curative magic for this poor woman !"
    He tunds to Lucci and raises and eyebrow. after a moment of pause he says,"Very well.", walks over to the woman and touches her hands. Blue flames cover them, causing no harm and healing he hands to what they once were.
    Last edited by Regwon; 2007-09-28 at 08:22 PM.
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

20. - Top - End - #470

Lucidae

Lucci tips her head in humble manner to the Knight as he heals her. "I can only hope to gain your trust Sir Knight. I will donate what you requested as is only proper and moreso. The strongbox lies on the floor in the far room with my other possessions on the route out which thou hath requested" she points at the doorway while staring at the emblem on his robe - the graceful movements of his firey mace as it lifts up and down and up again, as he bashes the woman to death.

'Protection from Arrows' she recites with a hand gesture at herself as the dying wails of the cultist ceases.

'Eagle's Splendour'

"Scholar Akim." Lucci says with a grim smile. "You are a spellcaster. I can offer your company of heroes whatever small tricks I am capable of. She smiles brightly at the educated man and Livina in turn.

"That is if..." she ponders, remembering split parts of his argument with Kizima "Your comrades are tolerant of s-pontaneous arcana."
    "Regardless..." she mumbles, attempting to take in any of the warning signs she missed on her way in as the room grows silent again. "'tis silent before the storm."
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-09-28 at 11:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina dances back from the spray of Gore as Krashnix goes about his grim butchery.
    "Um, okay." she says, tearing her eyes away from the corpse.
    "What? Oh, yeah, fine. Um, where are you from? I'm Livina."

22. - Top - End - #472

Lucidae

"My father hailed from Qusa. What people call me is Lucci as I hath stated- but he, a humble baker, had a penchant for romance. My full name is Lucidae Misallo Baker, but I would feel more at ease with Lucci or Lucille."
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-09-28 at 11:24 PM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Banned

Kizima

Kizima goes wide-eyed at the lifeless body she now holds. For all the killing she's seen, this is the first time in years...many years that she's seen such deliberate cruelty.

"I...just...you can't..."

Her breathing shortens as she glances around hurriedly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another flashback! Hooray for flashbacks!

"Idiot woman! I bring you into my domain, I feed and clothe you, and all I ask is your service, and you manage to be completely incompetent no matter how low I set my standards!"

"Please, just give me another chance, I can-"

"I'm tired of your excuses."

The sickening sound of iron on flesh, and through bone.

The body once in Kizima's grasp slumps to the ground. She is visibly shaking, but the grip on her rapier is making her knuckles white.

"You sick son of a bitch! How can you treat a helpless, confused prisoner like that! If you have such little calue for life, give me a reason why I should not take yours right now!" Though at a distance from Krashnix (at this point), she raises it level to emphasize her threat.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina raises a hand "Um, cuz she was a torturer? Krashnix could've made it cleaner, but yeah... I might have done it myself in a second. Or maybe just tied her to the altar and left her there to commune with her god."
    She sighs, her shoulders sagging for a moment.
    "Kizima, I'm not happy with brutal deaths either, but c'mon; we need to get Rhego and get this lady's stuff and get to the surface... we're on the clock here; this is a time-sensitive job."

25. - Top - End - #475

"I suggest you calm down... -Kizima."

Spoiler
    Show
    DC 22, her cloak is off, a buff is on, two spell focuses, level three = 10+5(cha)+2(cha transmogrification)+3(levels)+2(double spell focus)
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-09-28 at 11:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim watched with some disdain when Livina hit the prisoner, but when the cleric of Isana practically executed her, he seemed to start looking ever so slightly ill for a few moments, before regaining his composure.

He does not say a single word, just shots Sir Krashnix a wary glance. Upon noticing Kizima's reaction, however, he seems surprised for just a moment there.

Then he just turns around and walks off back towards where Rego hopefully is still waiting with the mules.

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-09-29 at 06:07 AM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Krashnix stands there almost impassively but looking directly at Kizima as she shouts at him. Although his expression remains blank his eyes do seem to glint for a moment. When he speaks his tone is calm, almost patronising.

Silarthis is vile serpent god. It was the first being every to tell a lie. It delights in spreading deceit, fear and hatred and encourages its cults to do the same. They sacrifice people simply because Silarthis likes it. It, and its cults, work on a completely different moral scale to how you do, much like Gothul and its cults. The less of them there are in the world the better place it will be, or would you prefer that mass sacrifice were commonplace once more. I do not know the practice of little people, maybe you do enjoy such things.
    Last edited by Regwon; 2007-09-29 at 12:07 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina kicks Krashnix lightly in the shin with a scowl.
    "Shut up, Krashnix. You know she doesn't. Now c'mon."
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-09-29 at 08:23 AM.

29. - Top - End - #479

Lucidae

<Well that was a waste of a good spell> the Sorceress thinks as Krashnix keeps his cool <but I guess I did the right thing even if it makes me the fool interloper.>
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-09-29 at 06:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Banned

Kizima

Kizima contorts her face in Krashnix's direction and spews out something in her native tongue.

"Is bana si'al os maneis sha."

She then goes to pick up the various weapons she had dropped and thrown during the encounter, putting them back on her person.

"Come on, let's head toward the exit. I want to get out of here before we run into anyone else helpless for Krashnix to slaughter."