New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: When all your friends are dead

Akim meanwhile goes to seek out Rego, casting his last cantrip for the day to make his staff shine like a torch again.

"Rego ? You can come out, it is reasonably safe now. At least there are no surviving cultists in the next room."

He waits for Rego to come out of the dark, then adds "Oh yes... piece of advice: The little one seems to be a bit.. high strung at the moment. Best to give her a wide berth until she had time to cool down."

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

AS they move to leave the room they were in Krashnix turns to Akim, a slight smile on his lips.

You see innocence is merely in the eye of the beholder.
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

3. - Top - End - #483
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lucidae

"You have my thanks for restoring my honor." Lucci says to Krashnix in a low voice while Kizima occupies herself. She follows behind the warrior and scholar.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-09-29 at 06:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Banned

Kizima

Kizima turns toward the once-sacrifice, now finished gathering her arms.

"You," she pauses slightly, "woman, you said you know the exit? Show us the nearest. We came here for a shortcut, and we have almost no time to spare. I assume nobody is too wounded to continue?" She gives a glare that suggests that her anger is quite prone to flaring up again if somebody decides to trigger it.

5. - Top - End - #485

Lucidae

The sorceress takes point and leads the party into the room opposite from whence they entered. Her possessions there lie scattered about the floor close to the entry of the corridor. Lucci quickly seizes the fine cloak and white beret and does not hesitate to equip them over her misfit Mokai clothes, giving her the appearance of a second-rate stage freak. For the benefit of the Knight Krashnix she gestures gently with her off-hand towards a rectangular bronze strongbox with a simple broken lock, one feet by four inches. Gathering her strewn clothes she attempts to shovel them into her backpack and don it before the party can get a move on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quantity of platinum units in strongbox as informed by GM?
    (LVL. 8 Starting Money - Hat of Disguises&4,5kilogold)/10 = X platinum coins ?

"I know you do not trust me." she says to the group. "But I can dimension door us minus one individual to the surface in two hauls, if any of you know silence it could be cast on the person remaining behind then upon return I would render myself so as well."
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-10-01 at 09:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Rego follows Akim out of the tunnel to the others, leading his muzzled pack mule. He walks over to Lucci, his eyes carefully avoiding the battered and burnt flesh of the three worshippers of Silarthis.
    Um, hello, I'm Rego. He bows, shakily. I, uh, employed these people to go to a tomb with me, and we came through here as a shortcut. It's good to meet another Qusan. Where about's are you from?The short Qusan scholar seems pretty nervous, he avoids looking at either Lucci's fingers or any of the bodies. He has the air of one trying to engage someone in normal, every-day conversation to avoid having to think of all the horrible things he heard while he was hiding.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim just returns with Rego in tow to hear Lucindae's offer of magical transportation. So he turns to her, bows slightly and says with a friendly smile "Thank you for your offer, mylady, but i am afraid there are more of us then you accounted for. Also we are kinda intent on finding the actual way to the exit."

About now you feel the intangible sense of elation, which had been with you the past few minutes, disappear.

Probably Akim's spell, whatever that was, has expired.

Akim also look like he's about to expire. At least he looks very sick all of a sudden - except his face isn't changing colour.

"E.. excuse for a moment please .." he stammers and turns around to hurriedly walk off into the direction you originally came from, disappearing from sight around a corner.

Lycar

8. - Top - End - #488

Quote Originally Posted by Lycar View Post
    Akim just returns with Rego in tow to hear Lucindae's offer of magical transportation. So he turns to her, bows slightly and says with a friendly smile "Thank you for your offer, mylady, but i am afraid there are more of us then you accounted for. Also we are kinda intent on finding the actual way to the exit."

About now you feel the intangible sense of elation, which had been with you the past few minutes, disappear.

Probably Akim's spell, whatever that was, has expired.

Akim also look like he's about to expire. At least he looks very sick all of a sudden - except his face isn't changing colour.

"E.. excuse for a moment please .." he stammers and turns around to hurriedly walk off into the direction you originally came from, disappearing from sight around a corner.

Lycar
    Lucidae

Lucci is about to answer when Akim rushes off. "H-hold that thought for a moment." she tries to say casually in response to his dailylife meanderings. She pitters off after Akim. She owed the guy her life after all.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Livina sighs and wipes her brow with the back of her sleeve, mildly surprised as her as a grit of dried blood is scraped off.
    "I'll never get used to this healing stuff; I broke my arm once, punching a rock, and it took like weeks for it to heal. And now, some stuff that should've left me disfigured for life is gone just like that" she snaps her fingers. She hunches her shoulders forward as she waits for the frailer of the magicians to regain composure.
    "Magic's neat and all that, but it's damn annoying too. Oh, hey, Krashnix!" The Mokai acrobat slides free the slain cleric's mace.
    "This thing hurts like hell when you get hit with it, but I think it's magic. Any idea what it does?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

10. - Top - End - #490
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Krashnix walks up to Livina and tank the mace from her, turning it over in his hands to inspect it.

Well I will certainly be able to tell if it is magical but little more than that I'm afraid. One moment.

Holding the mace in one hand Krashnix makes some curious gestures with the other, chanting softly all the while. When he finishes his eyes seem to flicker slightly with a glimmering light. He stairs at the mace intently.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting detect magic then concentrating for 3 rounds, trying to glean as much information as possible
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Staring intently at the mace, Krashnix can detect some transmutation and enchantment magic bound into its form.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

When Lucidae follows Akim, she found him just around the corner of the corridor they came in from, sitting with his back against the wall and shivering.

He breathes deeply and clutches his staff as if it was a lifeline, the whithes of his knuckles clearly showing.

When he realises that someone has approached, he valiantly tries to pull himself together.

"Oh.. just.. just a moment please, i'll be with you .. in a moment. Yes...."

Lycar

13. - Top - End - #493
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Krashnix hands the mace back to Livina.

You were right to think that it was magical. There are traces of transmutation and enchantment magic within it. Other than that, I can tell you little more. For a more thorough analysis I suggest you we seek out an arcane caster when we get back to civilisation.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Rego watches Lucci walk around the corner, and turns to the others. Shouldn't we, uh, be getting out of here quickly? She said she knows the way. He looks around uneasily. There could be more of them...

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina takes back the mace, thoughtfully, and puts it away.
    "Good to know, I guess. But yeah, we oughta get going...aren't those two back yet?"

16. - Top - End - #496

Quote Originally Posted by Lycar View Post
    When Lucidae follows Akim, she found him just around the corner of the corridor they came in from, sitting with his back against the wall and shivering.

He breathes deeply and clutches his staff as if it was a lifeline, the whithes of his knuckles clearly showing.

When he realises that someone has approached, he valiantly tries to pull himself together.

"Oh.. just.. just a moment please, i'll be with you .. in a moment. Yes...."

Lycar
    Lucidae

Lucci moves in for a hug - hoping to offer the man a sense of security in fellowship for a moment (1-2 rounds). Then she whispers "I think we should go now..."

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim just pulls himself to his feet, only to be hugged by Lucidae. He stiffens up, surprised.

"Uh.. thanks, i'm fine now, just had to .. ah... get my bearings again."

Putting on a reassuring smile, that is just slightly undermined by a glint of weariness in his eyes he goes on "Now i can't be seen showing weaknes in front of the unwashed masses, after all, we nobles have to live up to certain standards."

He gently extradics himself from Lucindae's hug, straightens up and, with a last nod to Lucindae, proceeds to march out from his hiding place and rejoin the others.

"Very well, we are all ready to go on ? Excellent. The sooner we leave this ghastly place behind us, the better."

Akim puts on a face of cheerful bravado but one moment, when he believes to be unwatched, he steals a glance at the corpse of the man he killed and immediately averts his eyes again, with an expression of guilt flashing across his face for just a moment.

Lycar

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina gives the pair an odd look at they re-enter the room.
    "Yeah, sure. Lead on."

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Lady Lucidae ? Please show us the way back to the light if you please ?"

Akim stands, smiling, apparently ready and eager to travel on.

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-10-03 at 11:13 AM.

20. - Top - End - #500

Lucidae

With a brief, blank nod Lucci takes point a bit reluctantly. A mere five feet in front of the soldier the light blue glow of the shield-spell reflects luminously off her muddled blue eyes and the tunnel walls. She traces the path she took here backwards in her mind - through the corridor, up a stair winding to the left followed by a sloping exit to the fresh outside.

"This bears repeating" she mumbles distinctly on the way, facing the shrouded pathways ahead. "Thanks for saving my life."
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-10-04 at 01:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucci leads the group down the passage out of the sacrifice room, eventually reaching two sets of stairs at the end, each of which winds up at odd angles, one to the left, one to the right. She leads them up the stairs to the left, reaching a sloping, octagonal tunnel. The slight movement of the air indicates a breeze coming from somewhere ahead.
    At this point, you hear raised voices somewhere behind them, down the stairs.

22. - Top - End - #502

Lucidae

"The fresh wind - I remembered correctly!" Lucci smiles, congratulating herself.

Then there are sounds of people coming to the rescue of their fellows from behind. Turning halfways around Lucci flourishes her left hand pointedly back at the lateral structure, incantating 'Fireball' in an attempt to strategically set fire to/damage any wooden or flesh-based structure as she dumps a fireball down the stairwell. Spinning on her still bare feet she turns and runs towards the warm breeze.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast 'Fireball', DC 21, 8d6 - if any fleshies in the area of effect
    Stair consists of wood? *hopeful* :P
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-10-04 at 02:10 AM.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucci leans around and flings a fireball down the twisting stairs. Due to the spiral, it doesn't go through the exit of the stairs, but explodes near the bottom. Lucci, leaning back, avoids the bit of blast that erupts out of the top of the stairs, and below you hear multiple male screams. The sickening aroma of burning flesh reaches your nostrils... sickening because it smells just like nicely-roasting pork.
    Lucci starts to flee up the slope.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Banned

Kizima

Kizima breaks into a run as soon as she hears the voices below.

Woman, you'd better be right about this...

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina stares as the explosion rips through the silence of the underground. She shudders, but manages to wait for Rhego and his mule to go ahead before she follows

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

The mule bucks at the sound of the explosion, and Rego tries to calm it down, pulling it up the slope.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim looks a bit startled at Lucindae's display of pyrotechnic thaumathurgy but he regains his step swiftly.

"Ha ! That should make them think twice about following us ! Quick now, let's get as much ground between us and them as possible before they gather their wits to pursue us ! Rego, do you need help with that mule ?"

AKim looks over at Rego and his gaze just glances across the strongbox full of platin for a moment.

Lycar

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

No, uh, I think I'll be alright, says Rego as he pulls the panicking mule up the slight slope. He doesn't sound alright, he sounds terrified.
    A voice rings out from below. They will pay for this! Get them, capture them, we'll torture them for months before we let them die!

29. - Top - End - #509
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    "Um, hey Akim?" Livina asks, still moving fast behind the mule as the group goes up the stairs, "You got any more of that 'feel good' magic? The one that makes people stop being afraid?"

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim hesistates for a moment, then he smiles at Lavina.

"I am afraid, i cannot replicate the exact spell i used in the fight with the priest, however, i just happen to have a little invocation handy, which soothes the mind and helps one keep calm even under duress. I shall chant it now."

And promply Akim does so, uttering a few arcane syllabies in ancient dwarven (if anyone can tell) and waving his hand around a bit, forming an intricate pattern in the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Calm Emotions, with a 20-feet burst we should all be in range. Duration is only 1 rd/lv and Akim has to concentrate but.. well, let's save panicking until we've reached daylight, eh ?

Lycar