New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: When all your friends are dead

Orin cries out loud in pain and fear as the sudden pain wracks him. He goes down, eyes wide open with panic.

For a few seconds he just writhes around a bit, panting heavily, before he regains a modicum of composure.

He glares at Livina's back, his features contorting into a mask of murderous rage for a moment. But maybe his fear of Livina is greater then his rage, or maybe he is just wise enough not to antagonize her further.

When Lucidae offers her ministrations, he flinches away for a moment, but then nods. "That... that would be greatly appreciated."

The pain slowly fades while Orin watches Livina pitch her tent. He keeps his expression carefully neutral but his eyes... the fact that they have the yellow hue of a wolf doesn't really help either - it does not take much imagination to picture what Orin is thinking about right now...

Eventually the pain is almost gone and he gets up again, nodding at Lucidae.
    "Thank you."

He proceeds to take the other tent from the mule, walks a few steps to get some distance from Livina's place and throws down the pack on the ground like a rock with which he wishes to crush something.

Then he goes and tries to set it up. How hard could it be ?

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't take Livina long to set up the simple tent. Orin on the other hand, has never had to set up a tent in his life, and is soon entangled beneath a mess of fabric. He manages to get it out and fumble around until the tent is set up. It lists slightly though.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-12-11 at 04:46 PM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I shall take the first watch." Lucci sits down somewhere there is cover but good overview of the surrounding area. "Livina, as you do not cast spells I will wake you up in four hours if you find the idea acceptable."

4. - Top - End - #814
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Krashnix takes out a loaf of bread, some cheese and some salted pork from his bag. He has a few bits to eat then offers what is left around.

Here eat. It is unwise to rest on an empty stomach.
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin finally manages to set up 'his' tent. Sure, it is a bit lop-sided but none too shabby for a first.

He glances over at Livina triumphantly, uttering a single "Hah!" and struts over to his backpack, which he had sat down earlier and retrieves one of the ration packs he brought.

"Thank you Sir Krashnix. Allow me to share some of the food i brought."

"About the watch shedules, as an arcane caster, i require a full night's worth of sleep to recharge my... 'arcane virility'. I would volunteer to take the last watch...." he glances at Livina, smiling sweetly "if you trust me with sharp objects while you are asleep that is...."

Lycar

6. - Top - End - #816
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina chews on a bit of bread, her legs crossed in front of her on the long willowy grass.
    "I'm quite sure you haven't got the time for petty revenge, what with a world to be saving." The Mokai ruffles her black hair.
    "I expect you'll be far too busy fretting about 'your people' and composing more monologues to first of all learn to use a blade, and then work up the guts to use it. I can take second watch."
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin glances over at Livina and replies with an ominous tone "You don't know the power of words...."

Then he turns to Lucidae and offers her some of his food.

"Thank you for your help. I do not want to appear ungrateful but please forgive me for not feeling particularly talkative right now."

Lycar

8. - Top - End - #818

Lucidae

"That is all right Scholar Akim, just please never say 'arcane virility' more then half a dozen times a day again" she replies with a friendly grin.
    "Is that kind of wording what they teach you in the ivory towers?" she looks teasingly at him, not expecting an answer as he wants to go to bed.

Wordlessly she takes up the Knight and the Scholar's seperate offers of food, a little bit of energy would help her stay awake and healthy. And a little more later.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-12-13 at 04:42 AM.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina lowers her chin to rest on the rough fabric of her shirt collar. Staring at her boots idly as she wriggles her toes inside them, she thinks back to Kizima and her last stand against the golem.
    "She was trying to help us get out," she says, to no one in particular.
    "She could have just run off and left us there. I mean, I would've been all right, and maybe Krashnix could have gotten out too...but still."
    Mentally, Livina adds
    and maybe she was worried about the mule too. That's fair enough.
    "Adventuring is bloody dangerous. I think when I get all my debts settled, I'll retire."

10. - Top - End - #820

Lucidae

"Mm." Lucci nods imperceptibly forward as she finishes gobbling up her eats in record speed whilst trying to show some sympathy. She gets up from her squat position with her cloak over her knees and throws it around her shoulders. She scans the horizon one last time then settles back in cover to spy at the encroaching darkness.

She endeavours to stay awake.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-12-13 at 04:57 AM.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Krashnix finishes eating and picks the last few crumbs out of his beard. He packs all of his equipment way in one of the tents, making sure that his shield, mace and robe are within easy access. He then comes outside and sits down a short way from Livina.

This is a dangerous world we live in. And ours is a dangerous business we have accepted here. Kizima knew this well. It was for the sake of her friends that she came. We were ill prepared for the guardian of that tomb and she suffered because of it.

Krashnixs looks out into the the fog, gazing at nothing in particular

Although I am not a priest of Imshaeroth I know that within his embrace is where she now is. The underworld is not a vile and horrific place. We can take solace in the knowlege that she is likely to be quite content there.

Krashnix pauses for a moment in thought, then furrows his brow.

Even though you wish to retire due the the dangers we now face, there is worse to come. The oracles of Isana have dreampt of a terrible force comming to this place. Great armies of hell spawn, in the wake of the great all consuming fires of Goramesh. If these visions turn out to be true...no soul will be left untouched.

Again he pauses then shakes hsi head and removes his frown.

Regardless of what is to come, tonight, I shall take third watch.
    Last edited by Regwon; 2007-12-13 at 09:33 AM.
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Moechi_Vill View Post
    Lucidae

"That is all right Scholar Akim, just please never say 'arcane virility' more then half a dozen times a day again" she replies with a friendly grin.
    "Is that kind of wording what they teach you in the ivory towers?" she looks teasingly at him, not expecting an answer as he wants to go to bed.
    Orin snorts "That was her idea.", gesturing at Livina.

Krashnix
    Even though you wish to retire due the the dangers we now face, there is worse to come. The oracles of Isana have dreampt of a terrible force comming to this place. Great armies of hell spawn, in the wake of the great all consuming fires of Goramesh. If these visions turn out to be true...no soul will be left untouched.
    After listening to Krashnix telling of the prophecy, Orin remarks "And that is different from the current state of affairs how? Does it matter if the fiends are being summoned by our archmages or some remote power? For the people who get crushed between the clashing armies it doesn't matter if they are being slaughtered out of fun, because someone else wants the land or because they just happened to be in the way..."

"Does the prophecy foretell of any quiet place where an adventurer could retire in peace, without having to wonder about just when a roving band of demons is going to raze your house and gut you ? Livina might want to know."

He doesn't even look up, just sits there, staring into the fire.

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-12-22 at 05:43 PM.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Krashnix snorts at Orin condescendingly

Are you so short sighted that you cannot see past the end of your own nose? What is going on in this region is meaningless when campared to the plans of the Gods, even the goings on of this world. The petty squablings of some mages are nothing if the prophecies of the oracles come to pass. There is one comming whos power is unfathomable. Whos power dwarfs that that Gothul once had. The Archmages shall be swept aside with the ease that a cat plays with a mouse. Only the Elder Gods shall have the power to stop such a fiend, and they may not wish to. You see Akim, you, your troubles, the troubles about the people you make speeches about wanteing to save and even the troubles of this entire region, just do not matter.

Krashnix stands up and moves towards the tent

I am going to convene with my goddess. Wake me when it is my turn to take watch.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin retorts with a look of pity "And are you so caught up in the ways of the gods that you can't see your fellow man anymore ? What do the gods care about us, this land, this world you ask ? What do we care about the gods i ask. If they do not offer solace or hope, they are useless to us and their worship is a waste of time better spent living."

"The gods want worship ? They better do something for us. We will be dead in a 100 years. And the people who live then will be dead another century later. But we live now. We live in the now. Not the past, not the future, the now. And what we do now makes a difference. You think it doesn't mater what we do ? I will do what i have to anyway, gods caring or not, for that is what makes me human and not a mere animal, unable to fathom the mystery of it's own existance."

"I will fight that fiend as much as will fight the archmages if only ever i find a way to do so. I might not succeed, but at least i will have tried, unlike those who do not have the conviction to take their own fate in their own hands and are content to be led to the slaughter like sheep, be it by fate or by the 'gods'. Call it foolishness, madness, insanity, it doesn't matter. What matters is what we do. Right now, all i can do is dream and talk. But that might yet change.... it might yet change...."

He gets up again and retrieves his bedroll from the backpack.

"Very well, if the watches are set, i shall retreat now. Giid night everyone. Tomorrow we will avenge Kizima's death."

Orin goes to set up a place for sleep in one of the tents.

Lycar

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ogre in the Playground

Orin's dramatic finish to the monologue is rather ruined when he realises that, for decency's sake, he has to follow Krashnix into the tent.
    Krashnix is already inside, his armour underneath his bag, using it as an uncomfortable pillow.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground

Livina goes to bed and is soon asleep, while Lucci sits up and scans the darkness. The red moon rises, and about an hour later the blue moon. Lucci waits a few more uneventful hours until the red moon is about a third of the way across the sky. It's probably time for Livina's watch now.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-12-15 at 08:16 AM.

17. - Top - End - #827

Lucidae

Her thoughts for herself Lucci makes her way into the tent, waking up Livina carefully before nestling under her blanket and other available textiles.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    "Mph." Still a little groggy, Livina wanders out and paces around the campsite, watching the horizon as she savors the feel of the wind on her skin.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

Livina wanders around for a bit, then goes and sits down for a while. She doesn't see anything worrying at all, though the fog is pretty thick anyway, so it's hard to see far. Eventually the blue moon is near the horizon, and it's probably time to wake up Krashnix.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-12-16 at 07:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Moving quietly across the now-slick heather, Livina stands at the mouth of Krashnix and Orin's tent, the blue moon making a diffuse halo in her black hair. Rolling up the sleeves of her shirt, she gently eases aside the flap of the tent and nudges Krashnix's foot with her boot.
    "Pst! Your watch."

21. - Top - End - #831
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

When Livina wakes Krashnix his eyes flare and he instinctivly reaches for his mace. When he realises that it is Livina, however, he relaxes and nods sliently. Tanking his shield, mace and blanket he sits between the two tents, watching and listening for anything out ofthe ordinary.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

Krashnix doesn't see anything strange or out of the ordinary. He sits there, a bit cold, as both moons set, and then eventually, the sky on the horizon starts to light up as the sun peeps over the horizon. It is dawn, and time for Krashnix's daily prayers.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin wakes up shortly after dawn but resolves to stay in his tent until he absolutely has to leave.

Eventually his full bladder demands attention, however, and he crawls out, disappearing around a corner of the tomb for a minute or so.

He is definitly NOT a morning person.

After returning, he wordlessly starts to rummage around in his pack, takes out his waterskin and takes a few deep gulps.

Then he sighs and pulls out the mirror, peers inside, makes a face and casts a quick prestidigitation to take care of stubble and bad hair.

The same spell also takes care of washing and ironing apparently.

At least he looks like he had a proper morning grooming.

Lycar

24. - Top - End - #834

Lucidae

Already awake Lucci finds this a good time to start casting preparatory spells in a hushed voice from her bedside, washing her face and rinsing her mouth with a bit of water then casting: "Mage Armour".

She crawls out of the tent.
    "Hi Akim." she seems wide awake, a chirpy morning person with a smile on her angled face under the now purple feather hat (it seems to have changed from a brown hat yesterday).
    "Sleep well?" she says, ignoring his depressed look; and the knight.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin looks up, still not entirely awake apparently.

"Oh good morning, Lady Baker. Eh.. i suppose i slept as well as circumstances permit. At least i feel my 'arcane vi...' power coming back to me."

"That reminds me. We should be having a plan for our attack at that golem. Lady Baker, what arcane forces of destruction are you capable of unleashing onto the metal brute ?"

Lycar

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucci and Orin notice that the fog, which is now very thick, is slightly pinkish.
    You can see each other easily enough, but the tower is merely a vague smudge.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-12-18 at 08:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

(Huh, strange.. is fog supposed to be pink ? Maybe a trick of the morning light.... or..)

Orin pauses, then, concerned he casts a quick Detect Magic cantrip and looks around with rising panic.

Lycar

28. - Top - End - #838

Lucidae

"Pink fog! Lucci screams at the others.
    Blind desire to survive focuses her. She immediately casts 'shield' and steps towards Livina.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mage Armor, Shield
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-12-19 at 11:35 AM.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    "Er, what?" Livina rubs her ear with a slim hand and looks at Lucci.
    "Did you just say... 'pink fog?' "

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking around carefully, both Livina and Krashnix, who's just finished praying, realise that the fog is indeed slightly pink.
    Orin scans the area with detect magic. There's magic everywhere, really strong stuff.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-12-19 at 09:57 AM.