Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: When all your friends are dead

Out of thin air (as he's apparently is still invisible) Akim remarks

"I just cannot understand why someone would do something so... so... "

Lycar

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Livina's eyes widen for a moment, but then her mouth forms a hard line as she adjusts her aim.
    "I would have told you everything; all you had to do was ask."
    Wham!

She turns from the unconscious Orin and walks slowly back to where the others are talking.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Rhebin

Rhebin seems to be lost in thought, bobbing along...until the nearby sound of conversation buoys him.

"Hm? Oh, you mean Aidan?"
    He shakes his head, physically trying to remove the fatigue and worry and shock of the day's events.

"Aidan was entrusted to me by...an old family friend. She took me in. I can't tell you how much she taught me, and so when I was ready to leave she trusted me with Aidan...or he fancied to see the world, or thought I'd need the company...the little one's about as inscruitable as full-sized dragon. And I'm afraid that Aidan's not even the whole of my menagerie...I'd introduce you to Cairine, but I'm afraid the city guards would shoot her down if I called for her. Oh...Right. Sorry, it's been a bad day and I don't get to talk much and...right. Rhebin Fallir. And you?"
    he asks, trying to catch his breath now.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Oslan Malk. You said see the world, I noticed your friends seemed a diverse lot, and you were in the Bronze Cauldron, a tavern frequented by adventurers off to explore the Illithid ruins. He sits down on a piece of rubble. Would you by any chance be adventurers yourselves?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Krashnix nods silently in response to the guard and moves to help him carry the unconscious man, pausing to let Livina kick him twice.

Where are we taking this skum then?
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Listening to the guards talk for just a little while, Livina speaks up.
    "This man" she points to Orin's unconscious form, "is disguised. It's Orin Stillwater, from the Bronze Cauldron." She pauses and looks around. "Where's Rhebin?"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

One guard carries the scarred man, which Livina claims is Orin, and Krashnix and the other pick up the wizard's body.
    We'll take them to the guild.

8. - Top - End - #128

Rhebin Fallir

"Adventurers? I suppose that's as apt a way to put it as any. There...there were more of us. Now I guess it's just Livina and I...who I'm starting to get worried about. How long can it take to find an undertaker in this city?"
    Rhebin looks from side to side, hoping to see Livina. Finally, with a sigh, something sets in that Oslan said earlier.

"Illithid ruins? This bar catered to people who actually thought it was a good idea to go scurrying around in monstrous ruins of any kind--wait, I forget, which ones were Illithids? I remember Ayna warning me about them, describing all kinds of unpleasentness, but the specific escape me."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Illithids ruled the world in the distant past, in the Age of Shadows, says the old man, obviously enthusiastic about the subject, before they were defeated by the armies of humanity, allied with Gothul's demons, while they were fighting some sort of religious civil war. It's really interesting, I've been working on a thesis on their religious practices for several years now. It's very hard to understand, but it seems it centred on their beliefs regarding the afterlife, there's some extremely interesting evidence that we found in the ruins, we're sending a dig out in a couple of weeks...
    You get the impression that he'd be quite happy to talk to you about Illithids for hours if you don't stop him.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim approaches Livinia (still invisible) and asks, with both astonishment and morbid curiousity in his voice "What in Gothul's name did he want of you that he would stoop to such measures to get it ?"

Lycar

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Clearly a little discomfited addressing a disembodied voice, Livina looks around,
    "It...it wasn't even any secret information. He was just asking me over and over who sent us and what they wanted with Orin Stillwater." She hugs herself and looks at the ground. "He wouldn't believe that I didn't know more than I said."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Uhm, i'm over here ? .... oh... sorry..."

Akim decloaks with a slightly sheepish apologetic expression.

".. he, it is easy to forget about spells you do not have to concentrate on when you try to concentrate on some other spell."

Tapping his chin with his quaterstaff/walking staff absentmindedly, Akim continues "So then, i wonder, why are people so keen on getting their hands on this man ? What is so special about him ?"

"Don't get me wrong, for what he did to you he ought to face the full brunt of the law. Yet i cannot help to ask myself: What has the power to motivate a man to such depravity ?"

Lycar

Edit: Obviously Akim said that BEFORE they reached the building.
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-06-23 at 10:38 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Livina looks angrily at Akim. "How about being an utter bastard? That'd do it, right?"

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

You walk through the streets, the townsfolk looking in shock at the dead wizard and prisoner you carry.
    Eventually, you reach a large, walled compound, the high walls covered in carved mystic runes that glow with an odd glint. One of the guards knocks on a small door, and it opens, revealing a short, balding, middle-aged man in blue robes.
    What is it, he snaps, you should go to the barracks... he stops, staring at the dead wizard. Ruthan! he cries, running over and hugging the corpse, tears running from his eyes.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Livina looks at the ground, her hands behind her back.
    That would have been me, only worse... she thinks. Poor Leyinya...

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

The man looks up at the guards. What happened?
    It was this man, replies the guard carrying Orin. He was in the that tavern in the south quarter that exploded, and some other survivors thought he was rather suspicious-looking. Ruthan and Oslan called for other wizards to help us find him, and we found he'd gone into an alley and not come back. We went to this alley, and found this girl, he points to Livina, tied up naked in a cellar with a door to the alley. This man stepped out of invisibility, and killed Ruthan. He tried to run away, but this priest of Isana cast some spell and he stopped moving, and then we jumped him and beat him unconscious. His name is Orin Stillwater, and he's a Davethran.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-06-23 at 01:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Livina looks away, but remains silent.

18. - Top - End - #138

Rhebin

Rhebin motions to politely interrupt, quite satisfied with knowing that much and no more about Illithids. He turns his head back to the corpses of Ismal and Draven, muttering a quick, fowl word in Draconic.

"I don't suppose their belief in the Afterlife entailed a way back?" Rhebin shakes his head, letting his hand massage his temples before motioning to the corpses of his allies.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, no, I'm afraid not, says the man, embarrassed. But, uh, I was going to ask, if you are adventurers, would you be interested in doing a job for us? We would pay well, and it would help you on the way to raising the money to have them resurrected by the Priests on the Zhan isles. They have that power you see, and many people travel there every year with the corpses of their loved ones. But they charge a huge amount of money.

20. - Top - End - #140

Rhebin

"It always comes back to that, doesn't it?"
    Rhebin asks, jumping to his feet again.

"What would this job entail, then?"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure exactly, says the old wizard, I just know that the Guildmaster is looking for some adventurers to deliver something. I think he wants something taken to the east somewhere. I'm sure there's more to it than that, because otherwise we'd send our own people.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Indeed. It has, however, come to my attention that this Orin Stillwater faces a most dire fate indeed should he fall into the hands of the bounty hunters that were sent to bring him back to Davethra, only to be sacrificed in a ritual meant to summon forth an unholy army of demons most vile."

Orin gives a slight bow to the mage. "While i certainly do not condone his actions at all, and i am deeply shocked that a davethran noble should be forced to stoop to such horrendous methods, i cannot help but wonder just how much fear he must have felt on his struggle to escape the clutches of his would-be captors. And fear, as we all have learned from our own painful experience, leads to hate. And hate leads to suffering.... point in case."

"Now while i fully support your legal authority and will not put into question your laws and customs, i neverless must caution you not to put him to death. For, as far as my limited knowledge of the situation allows me to imagine, was he to die, then simply the next Stillwater in the bloodline would become the focal point of said summoning. However, our informations indicate that all surviving members of clan Stillwater, save that one Orin Stillwater, are under the control of the very archmage who intends to perform said summoning."

"It must therefore be considered of utmost importance to neither have him killed, nor allow him to fall into the hands of said archmage. or his henchmen."

Akim takes another bow at the mage.

"I am fully aware that all this sounds very... confusing at best. It will probably be best to present the case to the guildmaster in full detail tomorrow. "

"Also, as you have undouptedly noticed, i, Akim Kar'zad, are a davethran noble myself. Having been absent from these lands for the past years, i missed the raise of the false emperor. I also am deeply disturbed by the prospect of a war looming on the horizon. Why, just as my good friend Gareth Spellwright said.... ah but i digress."

"Well, one of your men has been slain by one of my peers and honour dictates that i, as a noble myself, am now bound to make amends on behalf of my people and country."

"Now i understand that there is a temple not too far from here where the priests are capable of bringing those who died before their time back from the land of the dead."

"As it happens, two of my companions, who travelled with me through the ash desert, were killed in that cataclysm at the inn. I intended to do my utmost to have them raised. I would be forever in your debt if you would allow me to extend my services to your fallen friend."

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-06-26 at 04:33 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina listens as the noble speaks, but when he gets about halfway through, her face flushes with anger, and she glares at Akim. After a second, however, she turns her gaze away, her hands clenched at her sides.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Krashnix listens to Akim speak with a look of surprise on his face.

That is most troublesome. I did not expect such a thing to be attempted so eary on in this conflict. An army of demons is a dire prospect indeed. Now i can see clearly why Stillwater was manacled. If what Akim Kar'zad says here is the truth then Stillwater must not be set free, or put to death.

He turns to Livina

I am sorry. No doubt you want to see this man punished, serverly, and so he should be, but we cannot risk putting him to death. Not yet. Once this Zere has been removed and the threat to this region has ended, then his proper punishement can continue, but until then an army of demon is far to high a risk to endure.
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina glares once more at Akim.
    Don't think I didn't see you going off to have a nice long chat with Orin at the tavern. She thinks, Are you trying to protect that troll turd, Akim Kar'zad?
    She glances at Krashnix, and her expression softens for a moment, but then she turns the full heat of her glare back on the glib noble.
    Well, one thing's for certain; I'm not going to let you talk to the guildmaster alone tomorrow.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

The wizard only seems to be half-listening to Akim. He shakes his head. We wouldn't kill him anyway, he probably knows a lot, and we could do with a trained spy. We'll just question him and then have an elemental possess him or something. He speaks in a kind of dazed fugue, as if his mind is on something else.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    The Mokai lady sighs, but then lifts her head with some determination.
    "We can come back later. We both have friends to bury, I guess." She looks around at Akim, but then she shifts her gaze to Krashnix.
    "Let's go back and get Rhebin. And then we can find that mortician."
    Livina sighs again and cups her face in her hands for a moment.
    "And then...I'm gonna get a bath and fall asleep for a few days."
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-06-26 at 11:46 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

The guards nod and help the wizard carry his friend's corpse into the guild, closing the door behind them.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim looks a bit disappointed as the guilds doors close before him.

"Yes, returning to the inn to make sure the bodies of my companions are taken good care of sounds like a good idea. I do suppose it is easier to have them raised if they are in good conditon."

Akim frowns for a moment before correcting himself "Or at least in what you can call a 'good condition' on a corpse."

Then he glances at the small mokai woman.

"So i take it you do not plan on doing anything about the demise of your comapnions then ?"

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-06-26 at 05:39 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Livina stops.
    "Wait, raising them?" She thinks for a moment. "I didn't think of that. But...can anyone around here even do that?" She sighs and looks down. "Even if there were, I don't think we could afford it, even if we sold some of their stuff and ours to cover it." She lets her eyelids droop, half covering her brown eyes.
    "I can't think about all this right now; I've slogged through too much hell today. I'm just going to go back to the Inn, find Rhebin, and then work out what to do."