New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: When all your friends are dead

Livina
    The Mokai woman draws in her breath sharply as the cold air hits her skin, and she gives a small shudder as she rolls her shoulders, whether from discomfort or pleasure. She looks around the ice room with a sort of detached horror, and her mouth hangs open as the gnome introduces his wife. But then, she closes her mouth and nods.
    "O-kay...I guess there are four bodies, then. We'll take you to them?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Four you say? I'll bring my cold cart then. He closes the lid of his wife's box, and leads you to one of the other days, which opens to reveal a small yard with an old horse and a cart with a large covered top. He starts to tie the horse to the cart.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

I never have gotten used to gnomes. Their obsession with death disturbs me slightly, but they do provide an essential service in large communities i suppose.

Krashnix speaks to Livina as they watch the gnome go about his business.

Tomorrow i will be able to cast a spell that will keep the bodies pristine for a little over a week. The cart would still be useful, however, as we shall have to transport the bodies to my temple if you wish for them to be raised there.
    Last edited by Regwon; 2007-07-03 at 05:46 AM.
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina nods, watching the gnome go about hitching the cart.
    "All right...but for tonight, let's get them someplace safe and cold."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

The gnome rides his cart out of the back alley and into the street, followed by Krashnix and Livina. You all head off back to the tavern.

The gnome opens the top of his wagon when he gets there, revealing loads of ice. Right, could you help me with the bodies please?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina nods, mutely, and moves forward to help lifting the bulk of Draven and Ismal's scorched remains.
    Just a little bit longer girl, she thinks to herself, And you'll be able to get some rest and some food and a bath. Just a little longer.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim meanwhile waits at the inn.

When Krashnix returns with the undertaker, he is at first slightly startled when he realizes that it is a gnome. But then he regains his composure.

"Ah yes, thank you that you could make it. Sir Krashnix, would you please help with these bodies ? I am afraid, a life of study and contemplation tends to leave one's physical strength woefully undeveloped."

Akim Kar'zad will see to it that the bodies of Sir Kesh and Sir Nulliop will be loaded aboard the cart.

Then he regards the corpse of Hern curiously.

"Hrm.. i wonder. Ah, would you mind taking this one with you too ? It might be possible that Sir Kesh or Sir Nulliop might want to have him raised too afterwards."

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-07-03 at 05:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Banned

Kizima

At the arrival of the mortician, Kizima turns away from Rhebin, and immediately heads toward Kaleff's charred skeleton. She lugs it over to the cart and places it inside. She then walks to Hern's body, and stops. She bites her lower lip as she stares at it for a minute.

"Could I, uh," she calls out loudly to no-one in particular, "could I get some help over here?"

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

It takes you a while, but eventually with your help the Gnome gets all the bodies onto his cart. Right, I'll take these back to the cold room. You can come and collect them when you've raised the money to get them resurrected. It'll be 1 silver piece per body if I've got them for less than a week, or 1 silver piece per body per week if I've got them longer. He looks around. Hey, this was the adventurer's tavern, right? I remember it, I hired a bunch of guys to get me a Illithid skeleton from the ruins over the hill once. You guys look like a pretty eclectic bunch, would you be adventurers? Because I know the Archmage, you know, the head of the Wizard's Guild, wants some adventurers to do something or other for him, and he'll pay well. Good way to start raising the money to get all the diamonds you need for the spells. Once you've done one job for him, he might have more.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-07-03 at 05:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina's nostrils flare as the gnome mentions the potential commission. Her reply is terse;
    "I've had just about enough working for archmages, thank you. Maybe I'll worry about it in the morning, but right now..." She stands still for a heartbeat or two, resting her face in the crook of her own arm. She takes a deep breath. "I'm going to go to an inn that doesn't explode, have a bath, and sleep."
    And with that, She turns on her heel and trudges out of the ruined Inn, looking for a friendly sign.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Rhebin

Still caught in shock, Rhebin jogs after Livina, still looking very concerned and also still trying to signal Aidan.

"Livina, wait, for me,"
    Rhebin says as he catches up, trying his best not to look as awkward and conflicted on the outside as he feels on the inside. She'd been through too much already, and she deserved...something stable, he guessed. Something that wasn't going to explode or kidnap her.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    As Rhebin calls, Livina slows to a stop and looks up at the deepening dusk sky. She waits for Rhebin to catch up, and then tilts her head, looking at him with a question in her eyes.

13. - Top - End - #193

Rhebin

Rhebin looks at Livina, a quick appraisal, confusedly.

"Are you alright?"

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    A flicker of emotions pass across Livina's face, But then she smiles, wearily.
    "Well...I can only count to nineteen now. And I think that if I'm not taking a bath within a half hour, I'm going to have to shave my head." She picks at a tangle of her now filthy brown hair with her left hand. "Hell, Rhebin, I don't know. One part of me wants to collapse sobbing until some noble knight or whoever takes me off to someplace safe and warm," Livina looks a little embarrassed at the admission, "And part of me wants to scream and punch something until my knuckles bleed." She looks up again and smiles. "Can we just find an Inn for now? Once I've gotten a bath and something to eat..."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking around, the party find a pleasant inn called the Sheep and the Dragon (named after an old Qusan story), where they stay the night. They get decent meals, nice beds, and Livina gets her bed. It costs each of you 1 silver piece.
    The next morning, you all come down to breakfast nicely refreshed, and Krashnix has said his dawn prayers. Rhebin sits reading his spellbook while the rest of you eat.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    The wooden stairs creak, serving as Livina's heralds as she steps down to breakfast. The combination of ablutions and rest appear to have worked wonders on Livina's frame of mind and state of dress. As she reaches the bottom of the stairs, she kicks her feet and does a little leap down to the landing, her traveling skirt drifting up to reveal sensible breeches below with the motion. It had taken almost an hour to get the accumulate grime of the last day out of her hair, which she now has tied up behind her head with a green ribbon.
    The Mokai waves cheerily to Krashnix and sits down next to Rhebin, helping herself to positively unladylike portions of bread, fruit and water.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-07-04 at 08:16 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Banned

Kizima

Kizima, after waking up, heads downstairs and orders a mug of ale, then sits down to eat. Without even really asking anyone, she drags a chair over to the table with the other adventurers and sits atop her backpack.

"So, I don't recall that I've been properly introduced to any of you. Since we're all now involved in this crazy mixed-up scheme, it might be best if we get to know each other more." She sips her ale, and is obviously not intending to start off the round of introductions.
    Last edited by Brickwall; 2007-07-04 at 08:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina looks up from her water at the strange diminutive lady. From the inn, she remembered, and the first one to open the door to that godawful cellar. Through half a mouthful of bread, Livina says
    "What crazy venture? We're all just looking into raising the scratch to raise our friends from the dead, right?" Livina frowns and looks thoughtful, "Oh, you meant working for the Archmage, like the gnome suggested? Ugh." The Mokai lady carefully puts down her cup and stares at her plate.
    "I want them back alive just as much as you do, but I don't wanna work for another bloody archmage." In an offhand way, she adds "I'm Livina."

19. - Top - End - #199

Rhebin

Rhebin nods along with the conversation as he finishes consulting his spellbook, repeating short, strange words in Draconic in an attempt to commit them to memory, if only for a short while.

"Mhmm...Rhebin,"
    he manages to mumble out between incantations, gesturing towards himself thickly.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim takes his sweet time getting up and refreshing himself before he comes down to the common room for breakfast. He immediately seeks to join Krashnix at his table.

"Ah, good morning Sir Krashnix. Do you mind me taking this seat ? Thank you."

Akim helps himself to some bread and butter and eats quietly. He does not seem too inclined to talk to anyone but Krashnix. At the very least he is not even trying to make eye contact with anyone.

After eating just a bit of food, Akim seems to remember something and he adresses Krashnix.

"Ach Sir Krashnix, this reminds me: I still have to bring Sir Kesh senior the bad news. I am just afraid i am a bit... ill suited for .. bearing such news in a graceful manner. I would really appreciate it if you would see fit to accompany me on this somber task."

Lycar

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina bites her lip as she tries to remember who Kesh was. But then she remembers; the young boy at the table. She shakes her head.
    Poor bastard. It must have been his first adventure, and now someone's got to tell his dad that his son's been killed.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

For those of you who do not know, i am Krashnix Dreamscape.

Livina i can understand your apprehesion about working for annother archmage, but i assume you have only worked for davethran archmages before. I can assure you that the archmages of Qusa are cut of an entirely different cloth. Where as the achmages of Davethra are only interest in enchancing their own power and status, the Qusan archmages are, for the most part, committed to ensuring that Qusa remains an independant state, not under the occupation of Ravan Zere's forces. Since you are looking to raise funds to ressurect your friends I think that working for the guild is an exellent way to do that, since they do tend to pay rather well.

He continues eating but looks up when Akim addresses him.

Of course Sir Akim. Was there a Kesh junior amongst the victims of the worshiper of Bazal? I no nothing of your companions I'm afraid. It is always difficult to be the bearer of terrible news, especially when relating to the death of a younger family member. shall we leave after breakfast?
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Regwon View Post
    Krashnix

I can assure you that the archmages of Qusa are cut of an entirely different cloth. Where as the achmages of Davethra are only interest in enchancing their own power and status, the Qusan archmages are, for the most part, committed to ensuring that Qusa remains an independant state, not under the occupation of Ravan Zere's forces.
    Akim gives Krshnix a long look for a moment, but remains quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Regwon View Post
    KrashnixHe continues eating but looks up when Akim addresses him.

Of course Sir Akim. Was there a Kesh junior amongst the victims of the worshiper of Bazal? I no nothing of your companions I'm afraid. It is always difficult to be the bearer of terrible news, especially when relating to the death of a younger family member. shall we leave after breakfast?
    "Yes, best we get over it soon. While i only had the pleasure of getting to know Sir Kesh and Sir Nulliop for a scant few days, they struck me as shining examples of davethran nobility, patriots and heroes who would stop at nothing to see davethra reclaim its rightful place among the civilised people of this world. Without being subjugated by a demon 'god', without murdering thousands of its people every year in the name of said 'god', without being a mortal threat to its neighbouring nations.... "

Akim takes a deep sigh.

"Ask some people and they will tell you that davethran nobles are a bunch of vile, inbreed and utterly immoral demon-worshippers who would rather cut out the still beating hearts of their own mothers then do one good deed..." he glances at Lavinia for just the slightest of moments here "but, as improbable as it sounds, some are actually crazy enough to believe that nobles ought to be leaders, shining examples to their people, paragons of virtue and, well, nobility, devoting their lives to the betterment and defense of the live of their fellow countrymen and, by extension, all humans... davethran, qusan, mokai or zhan... or halfling for that matter."

"I am just a humble scholar. My speciality, unlike that of most of my clan, is history. I got to read the written records from the last score of centuries from all sides. Of course, it is usually quite hard to get reliable accounts from the side who just, say, lost a war or got to be 'adopted' by a more powerful force.... yet, when you really look at it, life, or history if you will, always follows the same basic patterns..."

Akim broods for a few moments, frowning, then continues "Take our qusan mages for example. They are mages. They study the raw powers that make our world work. They HAVE, as a matte rof course, to learn to make logical and well-informed decisions. After all, as any practitioner of the arcane arts worth his title can tell you, a even minor, nay miniscule error in the casting of a spell can potentiall have desastrous results. Therefore, so the inevitable logic follows, they are ALSO the best, and only, people trained to deal with a country on the verge of war with a potentially superior opponent. Since they cannot possibly make mistakes. After all, they managed not to blow themselves up so far. Q.e.d."

Akim takes a quick sip of water before he continues "Certainly i don't have to point out to you that a certain other nation is currently ALSO being ruled by a number of very powerful and high ranking practicioners of the arcane arts... except they skipped the phases of internal squabbling over politics and went straight to all-out warfare all-vs-all."

"Mark my words: With the takeover of the mages, Qusa has entered a steep downward spiral... first they will make harsh but totally sensible and neccessary decisions to prepare their country for a war for sheer survival.... but then...."

Akim stops, shaking his head "No.. it doesn't have to end this way. There is still the chance to stop Ravan Zere and restore the empire. Then Qusa might as well be saved along with Davethra."

Akim turns to meet Krashnix gaze, getting somewhat excited with his eyes glowing with an almost fanatical fire as he continues "The chances may be slim, next to nonexistant maybe, but i firmly believe that with people like Sir Kesh and Sir Nulliop, there is still hope. And therefore i will do everything in my power to bring them back !"

Here he stops taking a deep breath.

"Sorry, i got carried away a bit. It is frustrating to see, to KNOW what is going to happen and be powerless to stop it from happening. But Sir Kesh and Sir Nulliop.... maybe even that Hern guy they mentioned... they are heroes--- well, potential heroes. They just might a difference. And maybe my role in history is just to make sure they get that chance. Well, history will not find me wanting."

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-07-05 at 04:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Banned

Kizima

Kizima shuts her eyes for a second to resist rolling them as she detects the beginning of a rant. Still, she does pay attention to the whole thing. After Akim finishes, she leans forward and stares intently at him.

"I seem to recall knowing very few people as long-winded as you. However, those who know the word 'halfling' are rarer than kind-hearted magicians, and much more suspicious. Scholar and lecturer that you are, I'm sure you wouldn't mind telling me exactly how you came by that name?" Her tone is not threatening or intimidating, but her dark eyes meet the scholar's, and seemed to be attempting to look through his skull.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim turns to Kizima "Hmm ? How do you mean ? Kind-hearted nobles ? Hrm, don't get me wrong here, when i strive to restore our glorious nation i also do have my own best interests in mind too... or would you want to live under the scourge of a demon god if you had any other choice ? And make no mistake, being a noble at an archmages court is not as pleasant as you might think. You are totally right about one thing: Kind hearted nobles are rare. They tend to suffer appaling rates of attrition. "

Taking a moment to scratch his chin absentmindedly, he continues "And what name do you mean ? Oh... halfling .. but of course... you are right again indeed, that name is all but unknown to most people. Of course i am not most people. See, it really is a matter of straight thinking. You are quite small, smaller even then a mokai but you do not share thier darker skin colouration. Also you are, unlike human midgets, proportioned like a human. Except you are only about half the size of a regular human being."

"Now it just so happens that, during my studies of historical texts, i also came across various dokuments detailing expeditions old davethran explorers made into other parts of the world. And, as you undoubtedly already deducted yourself, they also mentioned coming across a certain people of ... er... 'human like beings, with bronze skin, almost akin to normal folk, except for their size, which amounts to roughly half the heigth of a human adult. We decided to call them 'halflings' until we find out what they call themselves'. Apparently their contact with those 'halflings' turned sour and they had to kill a score or two to make their escape and unfortunately never learned the name these people gave themselves...."

Akim raises an eyebrow at Kizima "Care to educate us ?"

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-07-06 at 12:39 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Banned

Kizima

"As much as I love to talk about my heritage, I'm more concerned with how you ran across this document. Only rich, noble families seem to make such expeditions, and such families guard their personal accounts closely. I should know. Therefore, I think that it would be unusual for even a scholar to have access to such accounts. In fact, I've only heard of two, and was never able to get at either. What was that one name, Stillwater, I think? Of course, there are certainly more, but not too many. Not enough to be in every book collection in the world, at least."

((Little note: Kizima and many other halflings have copper or dark skin, Kizima being posessed of the former. Can't say every halfling for certain, but many. Thus, 'fair-skinned' may not be the statement you're looking for.))

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    It takes Livina a moment to place the name "Stillwater," but when she does her eyes blaze with anger. "You mean that torturing bastard? If he was a scholar then I'm an oath-sworn."

28. - Top - End - #208

Rhebin

Rhebin slams his spellbook closed, rubbing his temples gently while still reciting one last little Draconic litany.

"I now know more about the smaller people of the world than I ever desired to," he says, his voice once again dripping with sarcasm after a good night's sleep. "And I don't know that I've ever found a spell to go awry. Perhaps if one was so utterly moribund on the literals of the spell, rather than the intent...but I suppose it's different for those whose magic doesn't stem from personal power...enough about it. I don't want to sound like a scholar myself," the zhan says, sharing a quick, joking look with Livina before tucking the spellbook into his satchel.

"I have to wonder, though; even if we do take this work and collect money...what right do we have to pry souls from death?"

((Is it safe to assume that Aidan's come home by now?))

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina doesn't join in with the Zhan's chortle. She just stares, blinking. Finally, she speaks, her tone somewhat incredulous.
    "What d'you mean 'what right do we have?' I'm not doing this for me, you know; If you asked Ismal and Draven," he tone turns mocking, " 'Would you two rather be living and having hot dragonny sex together, or would you like to be shunted off to whatever cold seperate worlds await you after your fleshy bits have been roasted by unholy flames?' I don't think they're gonna take long to decide!" She shakes her head, her ponytail weaving silently behind her head. "I don't mind working to get money, even if it's not my favorite way, but I just don't wanna work for an Archmage."
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-07-05 at 06:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Aiden yawns sleepily from Rhebin's shoulder, after returning yesterday he spent the night hunting mice and other snacks.