New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: When all your friends are dead

Krashnix

Krashnix's eyes glaze over while halflings are being discussed but then he listens again to Rhebin and gives Livina an odd look when she speaks about Dragonny sex.

It it impossible for mortals to bring dead souls back to the mortal coil against their will. Only the great and powerful Imshaeroth, Lord of life and Death themselves, has such power. If a soul does not want to return to life, you cannot force it to. Resurrection is more of a request than a demand. A request that may be denied by either the soul of the dead or Imshaeroth, as your friends have likely come to rest in his realm. If your friends are content there then they may choose to stay, otherwise they may choose to return.
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Finishing up a roll and dusting off her hands, Livina replies, somewhat indistinctly
    " 'M na dithagreein' bout" she swallows "Imshaeroth, but if he lets people kill each other, I don't think he'll be getting his divine garters in a knot of people un-kill each other. 'Sides, that's what the diamonds are for, right? It's like a trade."
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall View Post
    Kizima

"As much as I love to talk about my heritage, I'm more concerned with how you ran across this document. Only rich, noble families seem to make such expeditions, and such families guard their personal accounts closely. I should know. Therefore, I think that it would be unusual for even a scholar to have access to such accounts. In fact, I've only heard of two, and was never able to get at either. What was that one name, Stillwater, I think? Of course, there are certainly more, but not too many. Not enough to be in every book collection in the world, at least."
    Akim quirks an eyebrow at Kizima with a surprised expression "What do you know about .... ah.. but of course...."

Akim sighs and rubs the bridge of his nose before continuing "You are right again, of course. Knowledge is power and the mages guard theirs jealously. Still, we Kar'zads are renowed for our expertise in all things arcane and such knowledge does not come from studying dusty tomes in tall towers alone, mind you. Although i'd be the first to admit that barely a Kar'zad ventured on any glorious expeditions. But they DID sponsor such endeavors and there WAS the odd Kar'zad explorer."

"If a Stillwater also had access to these records.... well, they get around a lot.... "

"... maybe some of them stumbled across these notes... accidently of course." he scowls, then his expression turns neutral again and he continues "I should add that we had ... dealings... with the Stillwater clan. What with them being the official envoys of Ralm and even beyond."

Akim regards Kizima curiously for a moment "Say, you wouldn't happen to have had dealings with the Stillwaters too ?"

Rhebin

"I now know more about the smaller people of the world than I ever desired to," he says, his voice once again dripping with sarcasm after a good night's sleep. "And I don't know that I've ever found a spell to go awry. Perhaps if one was so utterly moribund on the literals of the spell, rather than the intent...but I suppose it's different for those whose magic doesn't stem from personal power...enough about it. I don't want to sound like a scholar myself,"
    Akim retorts "Yes, YOU know that, so do i and i dare say some of the others around here had sufficient exposure to the arcane arts to know that. But ask your average citizen or peasant about it... Ha, why do you think mages are that powerful ? Half the secret is that everybody believes they are and treats them accordingly. I don't know how they did take over, but im willing to bet good money on it relating heavily on the former lords not wanting to be frogged. Or worse."

Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall View Post
    ((Little note: Kizima and many other halflings have copper or dark skin, Kizima being posessed of the former. Can't say every halfling for certain, but many. Thus, 'fair-skinned' may not be the statement you're looking for.))
    ((Changes the post to 'bronze skin'.))

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-07-06 at 10:15 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Banned

Kizima

"Dealings? A couple. Enough to note some distinct features. Yellow eyes, often lie about their identity. Never had the displeasure of really getting to know any of them personally. Still, no need to make excuses for their actions. I should hardly think that there's even a point in defending them. Those who do not already think ill of them learn to in short time." Kizima relaxes her gaze on Akim and sips at her drink casually.

He's getting angry. Looks like my hunch was right. Whoever he is, he put a lot of effort into this identity. I bet his hair is dyed to avoid any mishaps. Still, if I can trick him into rubbing that makeup off, this could get interesting.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, excuse me? I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I couldn't help overhearing that you are in need of lots of money to raise your friends. And I might be able to help. A Qusan man steps up, probably in his 30s, middling height, dark hair and eyes. No real distinguishing features of any sort.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-07-08 at 06:25 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Livina looks up once more from her clay mug of water and regards the newcomer with cautious curiosity. She leans back a little, her legs crossed with exaggerated nonchalance.
    "Yes?" she asks, politely, "How?"

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim listens to Kizimas answer, then replies with a chuckle "I see.... it would seem you had the .. interesting experience of running into one of the familes.... ah... information gatherers. I must admit, they can become a little tiresome at times. As if not everybody already knows that the Stillwaters are Govans spies." Akim rolls his eyes here before continuing "But then again, i suppose that is just part of 'the game'. Huh, i wonder what it would be like to always have to deny your true self, hide behind illusions and deceptions...."

Apparently he was about to say more, but this is when the qusan stranger interrupts.

Lycar

8. - Top - End - #218
    Banned

Kizima

Damn. If that's not what it was, what got him so irritable? Oh, wait, money!

Kizima turns around in her seat to face the stranger, but keeps her mug to her lips.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, says the man, it's just that you guys seem like adventurers or something, you know, you've got a couple of wizards, and the priest, and so on. He pulls up a seat, and sits down. His eyes seem to light up with an enthusiastic gleam as he talks. I'm a researcher you see, and I recently got my hands on a genuine treasure map. It leads to the tomb of an ancient Dwarven King. It's probably full of priceless relics, books and artefacts with incredible potential to teach us about Dwaven culture and beliefs! He waves his hands as he speaks, it's obviously something he's very passionate about. The historical value would be huge, there could be all sorts of information there! He stops. But of course, you're probably not interested in that. But Dwarven tombs are always full of magical stuff, magic weapons and armour and so on, not to mention books of spells that the Guild would pay handsomely for. I'm no dungeon-delver, there might be traps and golems and things, and I'd need bodyguards for the journey anyway. You could come with me as my guards, and help me get into the tomb, and loot all the magic stuff to sell to the Guild and raise the money to get the diamonds to resurrect your friends. What do you say?

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy_G View Post
    I'm a researcher you see, and I recently got my hands on a genuine treasure map. It leads to the tomb of an ancient Dwarven King. It's probably full of priceless relics, books and artefacts with incredible potential to teach us about Dwaven culture and beliefs!
    Akim listesn to the stranger and when he gets to this part, his eyes start to glow with a fascination that mirrors that of the qusan researcher.

(How fortunate ! Just what i need, when i need it... maybe the fates smile on me today.. or at least right now... better seize the opportunity, lest it slips my grasp. Damn that halfling... doesn't everybody know about them ? *sigh* that is what happens when one takes the things one knows for granted ...)

"So you are a scholar ? A historian even ? Good Sir, if you don't mind, i am certainly not any good as anyone's bodyguard, but it just so happens that history is my speciality and i would be in your debt forever if you would allow me to accompany you on this expedition."

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-07-07 at 05:12 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina nods, slowly. That sounded like pretty good work.
    "But..." she asks, testing the idea for weak points, "Would the dwarves get mad at us for doing that? I hear they can be awful when riled up."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Banned

Kizima

"I think the only one we'll have to be worried about is the one we're robbing, though if this dwarf was rich enough to have such a tomb, if dwarves are anything like humans, that will pose more than enough problems. Still, it's been too long since I've gotten to go raiding. Count me in."

I wonder who will be carrying all our stuff? My theif's pack is only good for so much. But if it's a tomb, I bet it'll just have the diamonds plainly, instead of just having enough money for us to go look for them. Rich people just looove jewels. And these scholars have to be at least a little skilled in knowing how valuable their finds are. This could actually go well...

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Livina nods, liking the idea more and more.
    "Hmm...That sounds pretty good, actually. Are we just guarding you, then? And...other question; where's the line drawn between "valuable historical relic" and "stuff we can have to sell?" "
    Mentally, Livina adds
    If the loot's good enough, I might be able to give Draven back his mace and Ismal her Vest. They'd appeciate that, I bet.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

No, no, he shakes his head, slightly condescendingly, at Livina's first query. This isn't one in the Gray Wastes, this is an old ruined tomb. There won't be any Dwarves. Except the dead one of course! He laughs at his own joke.
    So, yes, about what we split between us, well you can have the books of spells and I'll have all the other books. And then in terms of artefacts, I'll study the runes and see whether they're important historical things. Like, say, a crown or something. But if its stuff like, uh, his dwarven axe of magical killing, you can take that. He waves at Akim. My fellow scholar can verify that I'm not pretending things are important when they're not.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    Hmmm...
    Livina looks around at the others gathered about the table. Rhebin's ears would have perked up at the mention of spellbooks, she was sure, and...What was the 'halfling's ' name? She hadn't said, had she?
    Livina smiles inwardly. Livina could probably take a few lessons on caution from her. Anyways. Krashnix...well, Livina wasn't really sure about him. He seemed nice enough, but why was he so keen on helping out a bunch of strangers with whom he had no link? That was something to consider, maybe. And Akim...
    Another bloody condescending noble with a lecturn up his ***, Livina thinks. She hadn't forgotten the quip about 'hairless vulture,' nor his habit of standing around making observations while people are hanging upside down in a cellar, naked and bleeding.

Anyways. With a mental shake, Livina returns her attention to the discussion at hand, quietly drumming her fingers on the smooth and notched wood of the table. She nods, then asks "How far away are the ruins, and when would you wanna leave?"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

When would be convenient for you? The ruins are on the other side of the Bitter Sea, in the hills of the east, where no one much lives.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Indeed... dwarven tomes of magic should fetch a very high price. After all, they were, and to the best of my knowledge, still are very powerful mages."

Akim turns and smiles at Lavinia "And i might add, even if the spellbooks only contain, well, arcane formulas, even they alone could tell volumes about the history of the dwarves. How their understanding of the arcane evolved for example." Akim's eyes light up "Why, if i could secure some of those ancient dwarven spellbooks, i might even return home without...."

Akim stops suddenly, blinks and turns somber "Ah yes, but there is still the matter of rising the funds for the resurrection of my companions. Oh well, at least the qusan mages are known for paying good gold for good work. Or good information for that matter."

"Oh, and just in case any of you just happen to consider themselves professional tomb evacuators, remember that the ... hehe... evacuation countermeasures we are likely to encounter will likely be of a magical nature. So people who know about magic might actually prove useful to have around." Akim says, looking pretty smug upon his little joke.

Lycar

18. - Top - End - #228
    Banned

Kizima

"The Bitter Sea again?" She clutches her forehead. "I just got over it! Like, yesterday! Are we traveling by airship again? Will there be dragons? And you," she turns to Akim, "The trap experts here know exactly what magical traps can do, so if you have any magic detection spells I suggest you prepare a lot of them, or else I'll make sure you're the one who ends up with an ass covered in warts! Take that as you will." Turning away from Akim in what seems to be a mixture of mock and real disgust, she downs the rest of her ale quickly.

"Why can't people just use regular, deadly traps? Honestly..."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina leans forward a little, resting her chin on her palms as she gazes with interest at Kizima.
    "You know traps?" she asks. "I've never been any good with those. I can usually see them coming, but, well..." She shrugs her shoulders in a 'What-can-you-do?' gesture. She lifts a hand and scratches behind her ear. "Um. Did you ever tell us your name?"

20. - Top - End - #230
    Banned

Kizima

"I didn't, though I'm more interested in knowing our employer's name right now."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina blinks, and then turns her head to regard the Qusan with a bright brittle smile, and she holds up a finger as if to say "Just a moment, please."

Letting the hand rest on the table once more, Livina idly traces patterns on the table as she returns her gaze to the halfling perched on the backpack.
    "If I'm gonna travel with you, I've got to know your name, or just some name. You know, if I need to warn you, or curse your name or whatever. Doesn't even have to be your real one. We could call you Alicia, if you want." Livina smiles in what she hopes in a winning fashion.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

My name is Rego Vel, replies the man.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Krashnix sits and listens patiently although he does give Kizima an odd lookduring her outburst about magical traps.

So, Rego Vel, how do you suggest that we cross the bitter sea. I don't relish the prospect of sailing those waters this time of the year, or any time of the year for that matter. Do you have any idea about the extent of this tomb or who was laid to rest there? Only a fool walks blindly into a dungeon.
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

24. - Top - End - #234
    Banned

Kizima

"And what about our loquacious friend here? I haven't heard his name yet, and I trust him the least. After I know his name, I shall give mine without reserve."

Kizima does not seem to be at all concerned of her rudeness. It contrasts strangely with her enunciated and somewhat educated speech.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim

Smiling slightly, Akim answers "Very well, introductions are in order then. I am Akim Kar'zad, of clan Kar'zad. Maybe you have heard about my family ? We are renowed for our knowledge in things arcane mostly, but this by no means our only area of expertise. Although, i must admit, few people will have heard about us outside of davethra i suppose."

Turning to Kizima, still smiling he asks "Now, if you could get yourself to overcome your fear of parting with your name we might get finished with introducions and return to the buisines at hand, yes ?"

Lycar

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Rego seems surprised that you don't all know each other's names, presumably he thought you were friends. He doesn't mention that though. Replying to Krashnix, he says The sea shouldn't be too bad this time of year, the trip by boat will only take about 9 or 10 days. Or, if you really don't want to do that, we could just travel around the edge by horse. But that would take much longer.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-07-09 at 07:27 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

We were all introduced a moment ago, except the small woman, who was yet to reveal what she is called. If she does not choose to tell us what she is called then that is her own choice, even though it might breed mistrust amongst the rest of us.

He turns to Rego Vel

Is there any way can get there faster? In a day or two parhaps? If we take over a week it could be unfathomably harder to raise the friends we need to. If such a time frame isn't possible then we may have to refuse, for the time being at least.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

The man hesitates, an uneasy look on his face. It... it is possible to get there and back in a few days. But it would be extremely dangerous. You know about the Illithid ruins to the south? There is a portal there, that leads to another set of Illithid ruins on the other side of the Bitter Sea. But that set of ruins... he leans forward, and whispers. The ruins have been taken over by a cult of Silarthis, the Great Serpent. If they caught us, they'd sacrifice us to their dark Elder God.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Banned

Kizima

"If there are no bat-squids, I think the ruins might be fine. I can scout ahead when we need it, and I presume that our mages have some way of divining some extra information for us? If not, I think I can do well enough. And my name is Kizima, now that everyone else has introduced themselves. Wait, who is Silarthis again?"

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    There, that wasn't so hard, was it? Livina thinks, rolling her eyes.
    Aloud, she says
    "Siltharis is one of the really unpleasant ones, I think." She steeples her fingers together on the table. "They're into the whole death, poison, deception, sacrifice..."
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-07-09 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Confusing pantheons...And I would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for that meddling Ozzy!