New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: When all your friends are dead

Krashnix

Well then we have a choice. Either we risk mind rape and sacrifice to Siltharis, not something I'd like to endure, to get through the illithid ruins, and thus to the dwarven tomb, quickly or we risk not being able to resurrect your friends unless we take the job the archmage is supposed to be offering. He looks at Livina I know archmages aren't you most liked of people at the moment and to be honest I don't mind setting some Siltharis worshipers on fire. On the other hand traveling through two, possibly three, dungeons presents a lot more risk to us all.
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

2. - Top - End - #242
    Banned

Kizima

Siltharis...Sil'taris! They sound so similar, how does that always slip my mind? Oh, well.

"I'm fine with the ruins, personally. Probably plenty of hiding places."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina nods, but her expression makes clear that she doesn't much like the situation. "I guess I could live with sneaking through." She turns to their prospective employer. "How good an idea do you have of where the portal is, once we get there? And how much stuff are you taking with you? a backpack? a mule? a wagon?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

The scholar looks uneasy, but obviously the chance to get the books is too much for him to resist. I know where the portal in the ruins near here is. I don't know exactly where it comes out on the other side, but it isn't right in the middle of the cultists, I know that. If we're going that way, I'll bring some mules to carry things back.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim waves dismissivly "Just some evil serpent-god that enjoys to swallow sacrifices whole and alive. Preferably virgins. Their temples are said to be full of ill-gotten treasures though. Simple god, simple pleasures."

Lycar

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    "Hopefully simple cultists, too," Livina comments, sipping her water. Setting down the baked clay cup with a soft thunk, The Mokai woman looks around the table. "I'm in. We can scout out the other side of the portal before the noisy animals go through."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Good. Now that that has been decided, i suggest we leave first thing tomorrow, if not this evening. Time is critical and if one of us, Isana fend, is captured by cultists or trapped somewhere inexplicable I'd like to have as much time to rescue them as possible. So if you would all like to make your preparations for departure, let us meet back here in 6 hours or so to be ready to leave.

Krashnix turns to speak to Rego Vel

I trust that you will be paying for the hire of pack mules, after all this is your venture that you have requested we take part in. I also think that you should purchase an ample supply of rations and water. We could now be considered your employees or hirelings, and it would not reflect well on you if we were to starve or dehydrate to death. We will provide for ourselves as much as we can but you should not count on each one of us being entirely self sufficient. Such expedition are successful only if the group is greater than the sum of its parts, and you are no exception to this. I am Krashnix Dreamscape and i am pleased to make your acquaintance Rego Vel.
    Writer and DM for The Mine Children, an actual play podcast set in the dark world of Demipia. Listen to us here: https://demipia.podbean.com/

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped forever in within a plane of forest and mist, the evil fey king Parsa rests to contemplate his fate. The portal to that domain is forever closed. Almost all those who knew of that plane are dead. Only five remain. Four are sworn to secrecy, and one is trapped in a mirror...

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina raises a hand,
    "Uh, no. I'm not interested in being called a hireling; I'm thinking of this more like a partnership. Our friend Rego here is providing us with the map and the location of the tomb, as well as a quick way to get there, but we're the ones who are providing him with the means of getting in and out alive, as well as back to civilization. He gets what he wants, and we get our share as well. Let me just repeat that; not a hireling." She smiles and raises her mug.
    "'Sides that, I agree. But really, I'd be ready as soon as Rego can get his supplies together; I'd like to be on the road soon as possible."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, says Rego, I was thinking of it as a partnership. I provide the map, you provide the muscle, we all get rich. He grins, but he still seems slightly uneasy. He obviously was hoping to not have to go through an Illithid ruin full of evil cultists.
    I'll return in 6 hours with mules and supplies then.
    He stands up, bows slightly, and walks towards the door.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim gets up and offers a short nod at his new employer.

"Very well then, there are still some things that need to be taken care of though. Sir Krashnix ? Is your offer to accompany me to Sir Kesh still valid ?"

Akim waits for Krashnix's response, ready to go alone if need be.

Lycar

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Partners then. Call it what you will, it all comes to the same in the end. Yes Sir Akim lets us do that first. Shall we go? I shall see the rest of you momentarily.

He gets up from his chair, straps his shield to his back and leaves with Akim

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Akim leads the red-headed Cleric through the town towards the sea. They walk to a small wooden house, with a maid sweeping outside. She looks up, and curtsies. Ah, Lord Kar'zad, are you here to see Colonel Kesh again?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim answers, his voice somber "Yes, i have to bring some news. Is Sir Kesh home at the moment ?"

Lycar

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Agnes nods. I'll just go and wake him up for you. She goes inside. A few minutes later, she leads out the Colonel, a 60-odd year old man, with faded tattoos and a facial structure very similar to Sumner's.
    Ah, I remember you, Lord Kar'Zad, Sumner's master? He glances at Krashnix. So, what can I do for you?

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim takes a deep sigh and speaks "I am afraid i bring grave news. Although i didn't witness myself what happened.... it... i just don't have the heart. Sir Krashnix, could you please tell what happened back in the inn ?"

Taking a step back and shooting a pleading glance at Krashnix, Akim also hopes to finally find out, what the hell actually happened back at the inn.

Lycar

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

A worried look appears on Kesh's face, as he looks at Krashnix waiting for him to speak.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Krashnix

Krashnix nods and a grim look comes over his face.

I am afraid that the man you knew as Sumner has died. We were at the Bronze Cauldron Inn when an man called Hern, who claimed to be from another time line and was a worshiper of Bazal, attacked a man named Kaleff who was with them. It appears that this Hern wanted vengeance for something that Kaleff that done, I am not clear what that was however. Kaleff's companions, including Sumner, defended him and Hern was struck down. While Hern lay bleeding to death on the ground, Kaleff materialized out of nowhere and killed him. Hern then exploded with unholy power, killing those that were close to him and collapsing the Inn. I am terribly sorry for your loss.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

The Demon Knight. The old warrior stares at the ground. The Demon Knight was here then... He sinks to the ground, sitting on the steps of his house, his face in his hands. Poor Sumner. He got his second chance, yet he was able to do nothing with it. He chuckles wryly. You know, I spent my whole life doing what he wanted to do, and I realised that it was essentially nothing of value. Everything I really wanted, he had, for a brief time at least. And he was happy then. He looks up at Krashnix and Akim, tears streaming down his face. Why did he not realise after that what was really important? Why did he devote himself to such meaningless persuits? And why didn't I tell him that? He could have abandoned his great quests, and settled down with a family. He looks at each of the two men. That's what happens to soldiers, boys. They die. He breaks into sobs again. Yet somehow, you get the sense that he is not crying for Sumner, but for himself.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim looks at the crying man, feeling somewhat uncomfortable. But then he seems to pull himself together and sits down beside the veteran, and puts a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Don't cry for him, not just yet. I didn't get to know him for very long but... well, i got the impression that he had been.. driven.. by an urge to be part of something greater then him. To him, it would seem, it would have been a crime to just settle down and fulfil his desire for a quiet life as long as there still remained soo much to be done. I do not mean to say that you, or him, made a wrong choice. We don't know what the future holds. We can only follow our hearts. And hope it won't lead us astray."

"But i have good news also. There is still hope. Sir Krashnix here told me about a temple, a temple of Isana, where we might find priests willing to resurrect him. And Sir Nulliop too."

"As a matter of fact, we have been asked to aid in an archaeological expedition which just might help us raise enough funds to pay for their resurrections."

Akim pauses for a moment, then he pulls of a ring from his finger.

"Here, take this ring. It is magical and worth quite a bit of money. If i should not return, maybe the priests will accept it as payment, or at least down payment."

Akim waits for Sir Kesh senior to accept the ring, then he gets up again.

"Do you have a pen and some paper ? I really should write a few things down that he should know if i shouldn't make it. After all, he ... was a very honourable man. Oh yes, we arranged for his body to be stored with the mortician, so it stays.... suitable for resurrection."

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2007-07-20 at 07:16 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yes, says the old man bitterly. He was a very honourable man. And he was driven to serve the Empire. He spits on the ground. I served the Empire my whole life, yet it got me nothing.
    These words are very strange, considering that the Empire collapsed 40-50 years ago. Perhaps he has noble blood, and he's much older than he looks.
    He takes the ring anyway, and walks into the house. He returns after a few moments with parchment and a charcoal stick for writing.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akim bows slightly to the colonel and accepts the paper and charcoal.

"Such is duty that is does not ask for reward nor recognition. Be it as it may, if everything works out as envisioned, there should be just reward forthcoming for all."

AKim looks at Sumner senior smiling slightly. "History repeats itself, Sir Kesh... this land was once a happy place. It will be again. maybe we won't live to see it. But we can set the things into motion that just might make our children and grandchildren get to see it. Have faith. I just ask of you that you try to have Sumner raised should i fail to do it myself. Now, please allow me a few minutes to write."

Akim walks off a few meters, finds a place to sit down and starts writing.

"Ah, you wouldn't happen to have seal wax at home ?"

Lycar

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    meanwhile, back at the Inn...
    Livina looks curiously at Kizima as she goes about the task of killing time. Finally, she paces quietly over to the halfling.
    Gods, it still feels weird walking like this...I wonder if I'll ever get used to it?
    Aloud, she says
    "So, Kizima...You know traps, and I'm guessing you know locks too, right?" Livina doesn't really wait for the confirmation.
    "I'm kinda on the other side of the, um, 'wealth redistribution' deal. I'm pretty good at finding traps, and I'm okay with locks, but I'm best at doing second-story work. You know; getting into places." The Mokai clasps her hands behind her back. "I don't know about you, but I don't like that Akim guy. Between the two of us, though, we should be able to keep an eye on him. Sound good?"

23. - Top - End - #263
    Banned

Kizima

After the others leave, Kizima sits quietly at the table, staring at nothing in particular.

What will we do when they get back? What's the end? What's the big picture that I'm missing?

She barely seems to turn when Livina starts speaking, but she gradually turns farther as she goes on.

"For once, someone who agrees with me. And your mistrust isn't unfounded. He's in disguise, I'm willing to bet. I don't think it would be a good idea to go snooping, though. Scholars always seem to know when someone has gone through their stuff, even the messy ones."

Kizima quickly yells over at the bar for another ale.

"When this is all over, though, I could use a cat-burglar. Maybe we could even start forming a team. Or a guild. A whole thieves' guild. Rob the nobility blind, and they won't be able to do a thing about it. But I'm getting ahead of myself, I just mean to propose that we should both try to stay alive so we can go robbing together in the future."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina smiles at the thought.
    "A whole guild? That'd be something. Glad to hear we share an opinion on the coffers of nobles," she says, with a wink.

Livina ponders Kizima's comment about disguise for a moment. "You think so? Why would someone want to pretend to be a scholar, I wonder...?" she crosses her arms and leans back a little, her foot tapping the ground in a fidgeting sort of motion. Then she shrugs and tugs the folds of her dark green cloak a little closer about her shoulders. "Well...maybe we'll find out. What do you think about Krashnix? I'm having a really hard time reading him; none of his friends died, but he's still coming along to face cultists. Why?"
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-07-11 at 08:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Banned

Kizima

"I've known people to be overly bound by a sense of duty. Warriors seem to get that a lot more than we who choose to live by our wits. Says something about duty in my opinion. But in any case, I'm sure he has obligations to fulfill. And as for Akim...I think he is a scholar, whatever else he may be. His interest in his pursuits seemed geniuine enough. But I'm no good at reading people, sadly. Everyone is a curiosity these days, and I just hope some of them live for me to get a chance to figure them out." The last sentence comes out as if it had at first been intended as a joke, and then regretted midway through.

"It's been a rough time, and I don't know when it's going to end. There's something greater at work here, there has to be. Too many things gone unexplained. And I'm running out of luck. I just hope I don't need it too much more. Where in the hells is my ale?"

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Livina
    The Mokai woman spreads her hands, helplessly.
    "Well, what're you gonna do? Sometimes this stuff just gets thrust on you. Me, I took a job to earn some money, and ended up in an inn that happened to be host to a bunch of brawlers who exploded and killed some of my new friends. And then..." she takes a deep breath and looks away. "...that other stuff. I guess my point is that stuff happens. But my luck's bound to turn around pretty soon."
    She ruminates on that for a while.
    "I think I need a drink too."
    She rises and goes to pick up a short from the bar.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

The two ladies get their drinks, which are of reasonable quality.

Back at Colonel Kesh's house, the old man gives Akim an angry look. This land was once happy for the nobles, yes, even for us warriors, but the common folk lived in terror. Since the Empire collapsed, Qusa has become a happy place. The only problem is this Ravan guy who's trying to rebuild the Empire with him at the top. It's best left dead.
    His maid comes out with some wax. She seems rather nervous, probably due to Kesh's obvious anger.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Rhebin

Rhebin seems to be ignoring their conversation, lost in some involuntary fog as he concentrates far too intensely on the glass of juice in his hand, examining it from every angle as if looking for the gods within it's frowthy, golden contents. Suddenly, his fingers unfurl from the side of the glass and it falls to the bar, shattering. Aidan's head shoots up, hissing at the air mournfully. Rhebin sits, doe-eyed.

'Ayna?' he asks, softly, then quickly jumps to his feet, leaving a handful of gold coins indiscriminately to pay for the damaged glass. As he makes his way towards the door, hands already searching through his satchel for something, he takes a brief pause beside Livina.

'I am so, so, very sorry. Something's come up. She's ill...she's never been this ill. I knew it was getting worse but...I'm sorry. I'll be back. I'll find a way. I'm sorry,' he says, and mumbles it a few times more before he leaves, plucking a flute out of his bag.

In the distant, there's a sound like piping, followed shortly by the sound of wings flapping.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Livina Lightfoot
    Livina stops, her mug halfway to her lips.
    "Buh? Hey Rhebin, where are you going?" she stands looking concerned. "Who's Anya? Wife? Mother? Teacher? Lady-Friend?"
    She addresses mostly empty air, however, as the Zhan rushes outside to the sound of piping.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy_G View Post
    This land was once happy for the nobles, yes, even for us warriors, but the common folk lived in terror. Since the Empire collapsed, Qusa has become a happy place. The only problem is this Ravan guy who's trying to rebuild the Empire with him at the top. It's best left dead.
    Akim takes the wax from the maid with a short nod, then he turns to the old Kesh again and answers: "Then maybe you have lived in better times that were before me. All i can say is that now that i got a taste of real life, the courts were just hellish prisons where even the nobles lived in terror. I suppose the demons wanted to feel right at home. "

"The problem with the empire was that it was no mans empire, not Vellan Zere's, not anyones but Gothul's. Ravan is trying to follow in Gothul's steps, not Vellan Zere's. Today we know that Vellan paid a too high price for the empire. Or rather, countless lives paid the ultimate price. But imagine what an empire of man could be like."

Akim straightens up, a fire starting to burn in his eyes.
    "Let me tell you, there will come the time when we will rebuilt our beaten land, of our own power, our own courage, our wn imagination, our own faith and hope. Never again shall we serve false masters, who just betray us and our faith, no more i say !"

"Our nation shall rise from the ashes, greater and more powerful then it ever was before ! Tempered in the fires of hell itself, our people shall emerge stronger then ever before, to never again bow to foreign masters ! And no man or woman, or child, noble or commoner, merchant or farmer, cleric or carpenter shall ever again be sacrificed, neither on the altar of any demon god, nor on the altar of any 'emperor' who serves anyone but the people !"

"Call me a dreamer, an utopian, unrealistic if you will, but if our lives, our oh so noble lives mean anything, then that we are leaders ! Scions of our people, shining examples of the best our nation has to offer, nad it is our right, nay, our duty to do our utmost to return our people, and all of them, to their rightful place ! The warriors, they fight on behalf of the people who cannot fight for themselves, the nobles were meant to lead, to direct te efforts of the people for the good of all, to inspire greatness in everyone, and i, i stand before you, Sumner Kesh, knight, warrior, noble ! I speak on behalf of all the people who suffered under Gothul, suffered and are still suffering under Ravan and will continue to suffer until someone, or maybe a small band, a small band of brothers, of fellow davethrans rises up to the challenge and destroys the demon worshippers once and for all !"

Akim now really has worked himself up into something approaching a frenzy, emphasizing his speech by wild gestures.

"Imagine what could be: Ravan slain ! The archmages defeated ! The dark altars shattered and the demon hordes vanquished ! No more sacrifices, no more fear ! People who can live their lives to the fullest, marry, raise children, without having to fear the scourge of any demon, a nation reborn to raise to greatness again !"

Akim looks Sir Kesh directly into the eyes "Maybe you no longer want an empire because you only saw the terror it brought. But do not take the demons crimes for the empire. The fiend just took everything an empire should stand for and perverted it, turned it into its black and terrible opposite. So much more important that we strive to set things right again."

Akim takes a deep breath and calm down again "If you made the decision that you don't want to have anything to do with any empires again ever, that is your decision. I don't judge you for it. You already gave your life for your country and nobody can ask for more. But Sumner Kesh.. junior. He still believed. He had the faith, the conviction and the will to make a difference. All i can do is talk. I may be able to spout forth fancy words, maybe even witticisms every now and then... but unless my words move anyone to action, i have failed. Sumner never was a man of many words. He was a warrior. A man of action. And he sure could fight."

"I am repeating myself but i cannot stress it enough: If you cannot bring yourself to believe in a new empire, at least do not let him suffer. I will do whatever is in my power to bring him back. So he once again can live his dream. Our dream."

Akim continues with a soft voice "Will you do that for him ? For him and everyone who still hopes ?"

Lycar