New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 67 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Where demons dwell

Ismal

Remember, darling, that this man is not our friend. He is an agent of a power in hell, and helping us out only to further his own ends. Perhaps it's better that he know less rather than more about us.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hern ignores Draven's offer, and continues on in silence.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Alright, you've successfully hidden in a tree without the pack of Wyld-tainted tigers noticing you. What now?"
    Me: "Oh! I know! I'll use Sense Riding Technique to use one as a spy, so I can see if someone is controlling them at all."
    DM:"Alright. Did you have a specific tiger in mind?"
    Me: "I'll take the most normal looking one near me."
    DM: "Cool! You see nothing. This tiger has had its brain replaced with a brain-shaped cantaloupe."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven shrugged as he went round healing the group.

"Well, I wouldn't say I'm not religious... but I wouldn't say I'm a fanatic either. My power comes from.... other sources than the divine. And I'm glad I could help heal you all - we took quite a beating before, though certainly you moreso than I. I'm afraid I can only heal a certain amount every day, but I think this should get you all past the worst of it, so that you can continue without pain, and perhaps even finish healing yourselves tonight."
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Once Draven has healed everyone who asks for it, you carry on towards the city. As you get nearer, you see that it is surrounded by tall iron walls, and the jagged towers inside reach to ridiculous heights. The towers would simply collapse were they in Sakara... but then this is not Sakara. As you get nearer, you are horrified to see that you are passing large poles on which the skeletons of men and demons are tied, with spikes driven through their feet, bellies and hands. Signs above them say in a variety of languages, "This is the fate of those who oppose Anarazel!"
    Veja doesn't give them a second glance as you near the walls. You reach the back of a queue of miserable, wretched Kumari humans who look vacantly towards the gate. Interspersed between them are various bored-looking demons.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner looks up at the hanging skeletons wtih impassive eyes. He lowers his gaze, and attempts to peer ahead of the line.
    Some sort of check at the gates, presumably.
    Aloud, he asks. "Veja...What is this line?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

The line shuffles forward, and then stops again.
    Devils are extremely paranoid. Everyone who goes through has to be checked. But since you're with me, they'll let you through quickly.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy_G View Post
    The line shuffles forward, and then stops again.
    Devils are extremely paranoid. Everyone who goes through has to be checked. But since you're with me, they'll let you through quickly.
    Khorik eyes the skeletons with a bit of dread, then looks around at the others in the line.

"Well, that's a relief. I'd like to spend as little time here as possible."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven frowns, his stubbly face and balding head wrinkling with confusion.

"What do you mean 'checked'?"
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

9. - Top - End - #279

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

Gaze playing over the tortured skeletons, Kaleff mutters aloud, "This is not the way to kill, it should be swift, sever sould from body quickly and it is much less likely to be twisted as it departs." Continuing along in silence, he is instinctively apprehensive at the thought of being searched, but then checks himself, What have I got to hide? I have only these ill fitting trousers. They are Devils, though, so things may yet get ugly, no telling what mind probes they have at their disposal.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Checked as in they want to know where you're from, what you're doing in this city, that sort of thing. Veja waves his hand dismissively. It doesn't matter, they'll just let us through.
    The line moves forward again, then stops. There are only now a couple of burly men on a cart, and in front of them a large red, horned creature, and in front of it, the gate itself, guarded by burly fiends who are questioning a short Kumari man.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

You walk forward, and Veja waves his branded palm at the guards. They gesture you all through, and you enter the city.
    You're at the end of a long road going for about half a mile to a huge castle. On each side of the road are perfectly identical houses, all made of iron.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Despite himself, Sumner can't help but be a little impressed by the city. The iron was crude, but it spoke of a mighty power and purpose that was all angles and edges. Powerful, but not one men would willingly serve. Still, it felt good to be back in some sort of city, even if it were filled with the damned and their keepers.

The tall youth turns his head from side to side as he follows Veja down the street, looking at the identical iron houses, trying to get a sense of their construction (i.e. one continuous extrusion of iron, or stacked blocks...)

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal shudders as they walk down the iron streets.

So brutish in both design and execution. Even at the height of the Empire's fervour, Draven, no one would advocate this. It's the balancing of standards and commun purpose with the small opportunities for individual expression that marks true greatness.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

14. - Top - End - #284

"You'd think it would just be cheaper to use bricks. Although, if demons are half as violent here as they are back home, I'd imagine it's worth it to have strong buildings."

Having something to think about seems to have removed his foul mood.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Alright, you've successfully hidden in a tree without the pack of Wyld-tainted tigers noticing you. What now?"
    Me: "Oh! I know! I'll use Sense Riding Technique to use one as a spy, so I can see if someone is controlling them at all."
    DM:"Alright. Did you have a specific tiger in mind?"
    Me: "I'll take the most normal looking one near me."
    DM: "Cool! You see nothing. This tiger has had its brain replaced with a brain-shaped cantaloupe."

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

The freedom to express yourself is an important one to be sure... and it serves another purpose as well. I mean, how does anyone find their way around this place without getting lost!? Everything looks the same!
    Runa Redgrave

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

You walk up the long road, which has branches off at regular intervals, for about 20 minutes. There are a lot of humans, nearly all Kumari or Mal Hong, but they all seem dejected and wretched. Devils occasionally march down the street in perfect order.
    Eventually, you reach a plaza in front of the huge castle of black iron. In the middle of the plaze is a life-size statue. A great demon lies on the ground, while a tall armoured man stands over it, thrusting a great sword into its neck.
    Wait here, says Veja, I'll just go and see my boss quickly and get us access through the gate. Then I'll come and get you. It should only take about ten minutes. Just make sure you all stay together out of the way, at the edge of the plaza.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven will wait, appearing as close to nervous as the burly man ever has, his jaw clenching subconsciously from time to time. He deliberately avoids eye contact with the passersby.
    Runa Redgrave

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Staying close to Draven, Ismal is frank and open in gazing about, clearly curious about every detail of this bizarre place.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Veja walks across the Plaza and into the huge open gates of the castle.
    There are very few people about. Occasionally groups of fearful-looking humans scurry across the plaza.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

All these people living in fear.... Ugh, I don't think I've ever felt so sick. 'course, if they spent their lives worshiping devils, perhaps they deserve it.
    Runa Redgrave

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner looks neither left nor right, but rather focuses his gaze on the statue that stands in the center of the ferrous plaza. He eyes take on a faraway look as he thinks about Gothul, and what he'd heard the day the demon god fell.
    And now a statue. Just a waymark fifty years later.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven noticed Sumner staring at the statue, with a pensive look on his face.

"Some feat eh? For one man to kill a God... It's no small wonder he's declared himself to be one now. That kind of power.... maddening."

The last word he spoke very quietly, almost under his breath, his eyes squinting with quiet defiance as his jaw clenched again on its own.
    Runa Redgrave

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner shakes his head, bringing himself from his reverie. He speaks, slowly,
    "I think in truth it matters not what power a man has, but rather how he bears the responsibility. An irresponsible or erratic man should not be trusted with a hammer, but a truly insightful and wise man may hold the power to shake continents. The character of the man matters far more than the power he wields."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven nodded.

"Yes - but there are no requirements on a man seeking power. The only thing it takes to acquire it is grit and determination. ...and we both know there are plenty of irresponsible and erratic men with both. After all, we are where we are."

Draven looked at the statue amidst the iron squre, speaking again a moment later.

"I can't help but wonder what sort of man he is."

...and judging from the faces around us, it can't be good.
    Runa Redgrave

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner looks up at the crimson sky and smiles a hard sort of smile. "If there are no requirements on power, then perhaps it is up to the responsible few who wield power wisely to impose requirements." He knits his brow, apparently intrigued by the idea.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven smirked.

"If I ever become a god-slayer, I'll consider it."
    Runa Redgrave

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

After about ten minutes later, Veja returns, flanked by a rather corpulent demon. Ah, greetings, croaks the fat green thing, its forked tongue flickering in and out. Veja tells me that you're up for this job we need doing, some courier work. He smiles, a slightly disconcerting sight. One advantage of working for the government is that the pay's good! We can give you money, magic items, or slaves, whatever you'd prefer. But you'll need to discuss that with the paymasters, so if you'll just follow me into the castle, we'll send you through the gate. He raises one finger warningly. However, if you choose to go through that gate, then we will hold you to your word that you'll deliver this message for us, to Ananaxis in Ziggurat. Can't have people using stuff of ours, and then buggering off.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-07-15 at 06:33 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner blinks as the strange toady creature makes his offer.
    Odd. But no doubt great power lurks below the fat.
    Aloud, Sumner says
    "As long as the time frame is reasonable, I will do this task for you." From force of habit, he executes a short bow.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Power corrupting, and absolute power corrupting...more. Not just a truism here, but a modus operandi, I'd say. Be careful what you wish for, my God-Slayer.

Ismal also nods to the devil.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

Khorik turns to face the demon when he appears, his body tensing up at the sight of the foul creature. He immediately calms down when the fiend starts speaking.

"You have my word. I shall do as you ask."