New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Where demons dwell

"That amulet wouldn't have made Azakan the Emperor. It would have made him a tyrant. That man was broken, torn apart by his own life. That kind of power would have twisted him even further."

"And Azakan told us how the amulet worked. There are different timelines, most failing branches off of what I assume was our original time, but it may be that our time was one of those failing branches itself. The amulet could forge paths between those timelines, and let the user walk between them with whatever he wanted to take with him."
    Last edited by Gungnir; 2007-06-22 at 01:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Alright, you've successfully hidden in a tree without the pack of Wyld-tainted tigers noticing you. What now?"
    Me: "Oh! I know! I'll use Sense Riding Technique to use one as a spy, so I can see if someone is controlling them at all."
    DM:"Alright. Did you have a specific tiger in mind?"
    Me: "I'll take the most normal looking one near me."
    DM: "Cool! You see nothing. This tiger has had its brain replaced with a brain-shaped cantaloupe."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner shakes his head. "I don't expect you to like the idea, but it was a very real hope to me. Khorik too, perhaps. Azakan may have become a tyrant or a benevolent emperor, but that scarely matters." The youth waves a hand in the air, dismissively. "What matters is that an emperor exists and rules the Empire. Good or bad, the continuity is the important thing." Sumner nods to himself. "Although I have come to realize that the Empire cannot base its power upon demons and devils who have no goal but evil."
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Khorik nods.

"After the Empire's fall, my family was scattered. My mother was forced into the role of...camp follower. I ended up as a soldier and brigand, taking orders from men whom had disrespected my mother the night before. I became a thief, thug...killer. I was born with the blood of destiny but I had to settle for a life on horrible dishonor."

The Davathran looks at Sumner with an anguished look.

"You've forgotten more about our way of life than I've ever known. My mother never spoke of the old times and my father died...was killed, before I was born. Azakan may have been imperfect but he seemed to aspire to be different. He could have given Hillinda and I a chance at redemption."

Khorik tugs slightly at his ill-fitting armor as they walk.

"But even all that feels eons ago. I'd settle with getting home and seeing her again."

4. - Top - End - #154

Hern snorts.

"Imperfect? Wow. You men really are desperate, aren't you?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Alright, you've successfully hidden in a tree without the pack of Wyld-tainted tigers noticing you. What now?"
    Me: "Oh! I know! I'll use Sense Riding Technique to use one as a spy, so I can see if someone is controlling them at all."
    DM: "Cool! You see nothing. This tiger has had its brain replaced with a brain-shaped cantaloupe."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner shrugs.
    "As I said. I don't expect you to like it. Our Ne'sha is of no importance to you, and yours, it seems, is that of gold."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

As you carry on walking down the road, you can see that a rider is galloping towards you, though he is still quite far away.

7. - Top - End - #157

Hern shakes his head.

"Gold holds no sway over me, it is just a minor side effect of my travels. I wish for glory; to be a legend, forever remembered by all. I want the mere mention of my name to shake entire armies to their bones. In legends, men become immortal, and I wish to stand among the chosen few who already have them."
    Last edited by Gungnir; 2007-06-23 at 02:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner shakes his head again. "Not just gold as wealth; gold as in glory. Your Ne'Sha, then, is like a whirlpool. Have you no other ambitions?"
    he squints, and peers ahead.
    "A rider approaching." Sumner appears to be thinking hard.

9. - Top - End - #159

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

Nodding to Ismal, Kaleff breaks his silence, "I agree with the lady, we cannot be dead. That demonic blast must have bumped us out of our current plane or time. Again." About to say more, Kaleff is distracted by the conversation behind him, feeling Sumner's gaze boring into him, biting his tongue and abstaining from the futile effort of correcting the man's multitude of erronious statements. Looking out ahead, Kaleff tries to get a better view of the rider approaching them.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

As the rider comes closer, he slows down, evidently seeing you as well. He's still quite far from you, but seems to be wearing black and riding some sort of big lizard.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven had been walking quietly for some time, his hand by his sternum where a small golden amulet used to rest. Seeing the rider approaching from a distance, he turned to Ismal, and spoke to her in thought.

Ismal. I still don't believe that we are dead, but if so many have thought that we are, that must mean that this is a place where people go when they die, and it's possible that we shall meet people we knew in life before they passed. There was one I knew, one I... loved, long, long ago, and when she died, a part of me died with her. Seeing her again would be... painful to say the least, as I've spent many years and many thousands of miles wandering, trying to put her behind me. But I want you to know that I do truly care for you... And whatever happens here in this awful place, I always will.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Khorik watches the rider approach, shielding his eyes from the red sun with his hand. His new blade lies flat on his shoulder, balanced by his left hand holding the pommel. Khorik grins darkly as the mounted figure approaches.

"Well...we have another opportunity to be diplomatic, it would seem. I hope if goes better than last time."

Khorik steps out from the group to the right, moving in a wide arc to distance prevent everyone from bunching up.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

The rider slows as he gets near you, and finally stops about 15 foot in front of you. He is riding some sort of big 4-legged lizard, of a dark-reddish hue. The man himself has the beige skintone of the Mal Hong, the other race besides the Kumari who inhabit the north-western continent. He wears short black robes and trousers, and has a silver scabbard with a sword hanging at his side. He holds up his hand to show you some sort of brand, it looks like a rune of some sort.
    Greetings, travellers, he says in badly accented Davethran. I see you are Davethran. Don't see many of your type here. If you're working for Bazal, then you're far from his land. His tone seems to carry an underlying threat when he says this. Or are you followers of Gothul? If you're looking for a new Demon-God, my own master will soon be gaining divinity,
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-06-26 at 05:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

At Draven's kind thoughts, Ismal colours slightly, and looks away before responding. Her thoughts come haltingly.

I believe that anyone who earned such words from you would be a strong and worthy woman. For your sake, I hope we do not meet, but I will greet her with honour and respect if we do.

And I have come to...care for you as well. There are few enough men who can be kind, and who can be strong. To find one who can be both...

Ismal takes a deep breath and raises her arm that doesn't have a spear in it.

Greetings to you, sir. We are relative new-comers to this land, and have not yet cast our lots in with any power. Perhaps you could tell us more of this new Demon-God of yours?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

15. - Top - End - #165

Hern glares at the rider, and continues walking forward.

Why is everyone so obsessed with following someone stronger than them? Noone thinks for themselves here.

"I seek no allegiance, and I carry none with me. My friends can decide for themselves, but I have already. Let me pass."
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner
    Sumner merely watches to see the rider's reaction to Ismal's hailing.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Glaring at Hern for a moment, she sends a thought to Khorik and Sumner.

Your friend's not much of a team player, is he? Is he usually like this?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Almost experimentally, Sumner's somewhat high-pitched voice replies.
    I did not know him. We spoke perhaps twice. More to the point, it sounds as if there's war brewing in hell.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven gritted his teeth as Hern spoke rudely to the rider, and waited for the man's response to Ismal's well-chosen words.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

The man shrugs, smiling slightly at Hern's words. You'll find that Goramesh is not an easy place to live in without a master, unless of course you are a Devil-King or something. Or a god. But we are not in Anarazel's territory, so I have no authority to force you to follow him. He shuffles his lizard to the side of the road slightly, to let Hern pass. Then he leans back slightly, peering at the group curiously. So, you are Davethrans, yet you claim not to follow Gothul or Bazal. Why should I believe you? If you did not venerate some sort of Demon-God or regular fiend, you wouldn't be here.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner coughs. "No, it is that we shouldn't be here. One of Bazal's followers exploded himself in black flame and carried us here with him."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

The man leans forward, cradling his chin with his hand. Interesting... what gods did you follow in life?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven stiffened a little at the notion of being dead.

"Well first of all, I don't think we're actually dead. Like he said, we're here because some little punk decided to take us with him. The blast wasn't powerful enough to kill us though, I've survived far worse. Second of all, I'm not Davethran, I'm of the Dragon Clans - they're Davethran though. Third, I'm a follower of the lady Cilnara, not of Demons. Are there any free cities here? Or is everything controlled by one demon lord or another?"
    Runa Redgrave

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner shakes his head at the rider's question.
    "None. I have rules and duties enough without them."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal smiles. Any conversation in which swords aren't immediately drawn is a good conversation today.

Like some of the others, my relationship with the gods is complicated. However, of course, I'd like to hear more about this Anarazel, and your position in his or her realm. How else are we to make informed choices?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

The man looks shocked. You're alive, like me? Well, I didn't expect that. And you certainly haven't been here long if you don't even know the political structure of this place. He leans forward, smiling slyly. I suppose if you're alive you'd be wanting to get back to Sakara?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner
    The youth nods, but he keeps his gaze on the northerner's face, trying to determine his intent and sincerity.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal's smile broadens in recognition...of what was to come.

Let me guess. You're about to tell me you know how to get back, but it's going to cost us?

29. - Top - End - #179

NinjaGuy

Kaleff Nefud

Straightening as the new comer inquires after their faith, Kaleff's hand instinctively reaches to his bare chest, "I serve only Imshaeroth, Master of Death. As to how or why we were sent here, I do not know. Perhaps the Grey Watcher intends for us to be his avatars in this realm."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

You've hit the nail on the head, lady. He smiles, a slightly disconcerting sight. Although, with the exception of Ismal who saw one in the market in Ralm once, none of you have ever met a Mal Hong before. It's rather hard to read his face, the flat, angular features could conceal anything.
    My almighty master, the Devil-King Anarazel, as well as ruling the demonic realm of Varesh, he gestures towards the mountains behind you, also rules the country of Cadralan, my homeland. About 8 years ago, not long after he became King, he had a great portal constructed between Sakara and Goramesh, specifically his own lands, to allow his Fiendish armies to travel to Cadralan to bolster his human armies. If you're not dead, you could use the portal to get back to the mortal realm. Of course, we won't let you use it for free.