New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Where demons dwell

Veja shakes his head. No, I don't know who this Azakan is. Was he a priest of Gothul or something? He blinks. Wait a minute. Did you say alternate timeline? And that duplicates of you have come across? Are you saying Anarazel's crazy stories are true?
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-07-06 at 03:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

Frowning at Sumner's silence, the Zhan slowly rememebers the seed of their discord, and eases away from him a little bit. Turning back to their guide he nodds vigerously, "They certainly are true, though there shouldn't be anymore crossover now that the amulet has been destroyed."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

I see... Veja seems to be deep in thought, tapping his chin.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner shakes his head, as if coming out of a deep sleep, and looks around, a little bewildered. He turns his attention to the discussion at hand, apparently trying to work out what he's missed.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven nodded again to Ismal.

Yes. Crys'tel was her name. She was there. So was her killer. They told me I failed to protect her. That I'll fail to protect you. ...but I think they're wrong. There was nothing I could do to help Crys'tel, I did my best. And I'm a force to be reckoned with now - if anyone wanted to hurt you, I'd die to stop them.

A few moments later, he spoke to Khorik again, a pained look on his face.

"Its worse, Khorik, and I hate to tell you this - just thinking about it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. He married her. ...had an amulet with her image in it around his neck. As for how we met him... well, we were trying to cross through their territory to get to the inn so we could track down Orin. He tried to stop us. They called him 'Captain', and someone else called him the 'thousand man slayer'. ...but from what I've seen, you're a better warrior than he, and a more honorable man by far."
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

I...for once, the glib sayings don't seem to make much sense, Draven. I, I trust you more than anyone I have ever met, aside from my parents. And perhaps...well.

Perhaps that was the heart of my dream. Two men, one offering me everything else I could desire, and the other devotion and love. And what would I have chosen, given time?

Let's see to it that no one's dying to protect each other. Dying for something is easy. Let's get to work living for something. Many somethings, perhaps. I know that the empire holds no special fascination for you, free one, but in my grandparents' time, it was a kind of beacon for hope, stability, a kind of shield against the worst excesses of the archmagi. A bad emperor is worse than none at all, I agree, but a good one could herald a new golden age.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Breaking his long silence, Sumner clears his throat.
    " I have a question for you all. Or rather," he looks at Veja "Everyone whom it concerns." He pauses, then asks. "Who should be emperor? What sort of person?"

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

The noblewoman smiles, and her reptilian eyes narrow further, but with recognition, not malice.

My family has spent more than one night around the fire discussing just that, mister Sumner. It is a fair and a valuable question.

I put forward no candidate, of course. It is my feeling that it should be someone for whom the position is not all - that it remains sublimated in a love of the empire, and in a love of the people. Strength, certainly, but with hope and vision. Vigor, wit...and a vision that knits past to future, and that can unite the nobles and archmagi behind the emperor.

She glances at the others, and especially back at Sumner, soliciting further comment.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Digests the comment, and then adds to the question. "So, then. Imagine a bad emperor. One who oppresses the people and feeds them to demons. Is he then to be overthrown by his subjects so that a "Good" emperor may take his place?"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven walked quietly, Ismal's thoughts echoing in his mind.

I'll gladly live for freedom - and to help those oppressed by the powerful and the greedy. I understand your love for what the empire once was. Our clans would be weak and powerless without the elders - without the head, the body dies. Perhaps that's why our world is as buried in excrement as it is. then again, it could be buried in bones like this one. Power is a difficult thing, Ismal. It's more attractive than anything in existence, but it's dangerous. I don't think I want to know what you chose.

"The problem with rulers is that the only ones who try for the job are the ones that should never achieve it. Power attracts the coruptable. Where I am from, every man and woman in the clans silently writes the name of whom they want to lead the clan on a stone, then places the stone in a basket. There is no campaigning - it's all silent... Everyone knows everyone else, and certainly well enough to know who should lead and who should never be given such power. The top four end up on the council of elders, for a period of four years, and we vote every two. The elders then elect a chief from their members, and in the event of a tie, the clan decides as a whole. My father was on the council, though he never aspired to it, and seeing the difficulty and seriousness of that responsibility for him, I understand why he was the right man for the job."

He thought for a minute longer about Sumner's last statement.

"If a leader is so awful that he's sacrificing his own people for his own selfish ends, it is the DUTY of the people to overthrow him."
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

I know I'm not a Davethran, says Veja, but my continent has had all sorts of rulers. My country used to be ruled by sorcerers who were always killing each other. I guess that's like your nobles. Then Anarazel came along. He's brutal, and his devils tyrannise the land, but it's better than the sorcerers. The Kumari are ruled by a guy called Bintarion. He's a really powerful sorcerer, but he isn't that bright, and he gets taken advantage of. He got the job because he was Thalgor's right-hand man. Before him was Thalgor, who was really powerful, and saved the Kumari from all sorts of monsters, but he would kill anyone who criticised him. He became Emperor because, well, he was a God, and he just beat the crap out of anyone who opposed him. Before him was Torovak, who ruled for 300 years. He had secret police who used enchantment spells to ensure that no one opposed him, and tell his people propaganda all the time. But under him all wars between the Kumari stopped, though of course they were fighting the Davethrans in what is now Khadoth. He built roads, and schools, and great cities. He was an ordinary peasant boy who found a magic sword that connected him to the power of this magical castle, and he used its power to save the Kumari from the sorcerers of my country, who used to rule all of Osira. He thinks for a minute. I hear that the Emperor of Shi Mal is quite a good one, his name's Ghostwolf. He's renowned for his great wisdom, and amazing skill in unarmed fighting. He was a famous freedom fighter who fought Thalgor's armies, who occupied Shi Mal at that time. Everyone thought he was died 15 years ago, people saw Thalgor kill him, but then ten years ago he appeared again, maybe he was resurrected or something. With the confusion of Thaglor's disappearance, this guy took over Shi Mal before Bintarion could do anything. He thinks again. What other rulers can I think of? There's the King of Al Sharev, he's your normal aristocrat. A clever man, but rather debauched. Spends all his time plotting to get back the territory that they lost to Khadoth 300 years ago. His Kingdom's pretty rich and prosperous, but that has less to do with him than all the conjurers they train, who summon elementals to do all the menial labour. Um... the Dwarves have a King I think, but I don't really know anything about him. The Goblins have a High Priest who's in charge, but he doesn't do a lot. And the Elven Emperor is a brutal tyrant who rules by virtue of the fact that he's immortal and has incredible power. So I guess the lesson is, if you want a good Emperor, he should be fairly intelligent, either powerful enough to enforce his rule or have allies that do it for him, and he ought not to be someone who just takes over for the fun of it, or an aristocrat. And he ought to be someone who has a vision, like Ghostwolf who wanted freedom for his people, or Torovak who wanted the same.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner nods his head in comprehension, but whatever reaction he might have to the opinions expressed is locked away behind his deep-set gray eyes.
    "I see." Sumner frowns in thought.

13. - Top - End - #253

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

Listening intently to as the others relate their views, Kaleff gathers his thoughts

"I must admit, I haven't thought about this subject much myself. In my dealings, if one wanted to do something, he did it, and the degree of success achieved determined his place in society. Raised as I was, we didn't necessarily follow all codes put forth by the ruling bodies, just the ones that went along with our goals and the ones we knew the ruler could enforce. Therefore the ability to control, to exert one's will is an important facet of governance. If you do not have power, those with power will replace you.

Going back to the original question of who should be emperor, my first response was 'Me,' and I fear many feel the same way. Where most men are sheep, and shouldn't be trusted with the reigns of governance, many of those who aren't, and even some who are, feel they should lead, regardless of ability. This is the danger. In a perfect world, the ruler would be sensitive to the desires of the gods, the will of the people, the knowledge to reconcile the two, and the power to enforce it. Add to this that he must want the position for the good that will come of it, and not for the benefits such a position would bring himself, for his own personal interests cannot hold sway over him, either.

The problem arising from all this is there are few such men in existence, and fewer still who would want the job. The natural way leaders and powerful factions arise is through survival of the fittest, the most capable rise to the top and assume control. It is the duty of the informed to back the correct power, one with vision, and not just a desire to assert their will." Shrugging his shoulders, the Zhan takes a breath before continueing, "Its sloppy, yes, but it works well enough. It also answers the question of 'should the people revolt against an evil ruler.' Generally, those who can pull off a coupe will, if they are threatened enough, and evil rulers usually threaten just about everyone. So, I guess the answer is, it is better not to be an evil ruler, so as not to be deposed. A little backwards, but it essentially answers the question... I think
    ." Shaking his head, Kaleff looks mildly confused himself, and walks quietly for a moment, trying to sort his new thoughts out.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    The youth shakes his head in answer to Kaleff's speech.
    "I do not ask what is, but rather what should be."

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ah, but Sumner, I have learned from my uncle, who won every debate by taking no stand himself, but simply chipping away at the other position. You have asked two questions now, and offered no thoughts yourself. What do YOU think makes a good emperor, and what should be done about a bad one?

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner sighs and closes his eyes. He walks in silence, and for a few moments it seems as if he will not answer. Finally, however, he openes his eyes and stares vacantly at the horizon, an expression almost of pain on his face.
    "It is a question no true warrior of Zardis would ever have asked himself. It is not the place of a sword to question the character of the man who wields it, nor an oath-sworn of the Imperial family to judge the Emperor."
    Sumner raises the axe he carries and tests the edge with his thumb absently.

"But it has been a long time. I remember meeting in Mokar ten years ago a company of old men; once soldiers in the imperial legion. They had spirit and pride, but very little else; missing teeth, hair, eyes and arms, they still fought in their atrophied way. I admired their devotion."
    He grimaces. "But now I look at myself, and I see atrophy far worse than theirs. And then the final insult;" his tone turns harsh as he holds up the axe for everyone to see. "To have the blades of my family torn from my grip and replaced with this hunk of metal which knows only slaughter!" Lowering the weapon once more, Sumner's knuckles whiten as he grips the haft. He seems to have forgotten the original question entirely in his passion.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Draven, I think I understand something of this man's torment. Our lives were shaped by the empire - we were vessels given form by that essence.

Gently, Ismal's voice draws him back.

While we can treasure them, the symbols of our lives are only ever that. If we start to mistake them for the real things in ourselves, we are lost, as the empire was lost when it substituted the seemings of devotion and loyalty for the real thing.

I ask you again, then, sir. What makes a good emperor?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner Does not pry his gaze from the horizon "But how long can a sword rust until it is no use to anyone?" he asks the air, softly. Closing his eyes again, Sumner replies
    "The Emperor is the stability of the Empire. He will determine whether it remains strong or whether it falls apart. Once the stability of the empire becomes anything else, it is weakened. Stability is what is important. Order and Law must be upheld. Therefore, his will must be iron, and his character strong. He will have to decide things that cost hundreds of men their lives, and he must do so unblinkingly. The Emperor should be...honorable. He should know well his own Ne'sha, and be able at a glance to know the Ne'sha of others. He mus be strong and wise, to ensure the empire thrives." He seems about to say more, but then his jaw tightens again, and he remains silent.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-07-08 at 10:35 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

Confused for a moment, the Zhan looks to the warrior, "But what is, and what will be, that is also what should be."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Um, what does Ne'sha mean? asks Veja. I'm sorry, my Davethran isn't perfect.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner glances at Veja as if he'd forgotten about their guide riding a giant lizard.
    Sumner coughs into his hand and then turns his eyes skyward as he walks.
    "Ne'Sha. It is a composite word. Part of it is honor, part of it is morality, and part of it is Path. In a single word, it encompasses a person's character, their motivations, their convictions, and what they can and will do to uphold them. It describes the duties you have, your obligations. It is the sum of what guides you through life, and leads you to the decisions you make. Without knowing your own Ne'Sha, you will act chaotically and ultimately lose your way."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Khorik listens intently to Sumner's words, nodding absently. When Sumner finishes, Khorik looks away with shame.

"You want to see what happens to a great family when they lose their Ne'Sha, look no further than me. Being from a noble Imperial family means nothing when the Empire falls apart. Honor and loyalty were weaknesses in the world I come from. Only recently have I tried to return to the Path of my father but I find my old habits die hard."

Khorik sighs and continues walking.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

You keep on walking for several more hours. By now, you can make out vague details of the city, all jagged spires. It doesn't look particularly hospitable.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

It does seem to be a specifically Davethran word. I've never heard anyone talk about a Qu'san's Ne'Sha, or a Kumari's.

Glancing ahead at the leaping spires of the city ahead, Ismal looks sidelong at their guide.

So, is this your home as well, Veja? It makes me wonder why you haven't made your own deal with the gatekeeper, and come back to the world of your birth.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Veja shakes his head. No, no, I'm from Vander Moross, the capital of Cadralan. I'm just here on a mission for Anarazel, I went to take a message to the Devil Lord who lives by the sea. He points back down the road. I'm taking his reply back now. He snorts derisively. I'd hate to live in Varesh, it's an awful place. Hopefully we won't be there for very long, we'll just be passing through.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-07-09 at 07:35 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    His talkative stripe apparently spent, Sumner grunts acknowledgment and trudges on, axe in hand, the wounds from the day before beginning to scar.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven stopped abruptly, a realization just dawning on him.

"I'm sorry guys, I forgot you were all still wounded - next time pipe up if you're in pain. Gather round, I'll see what I can do."

Draven reaches out his hands, healing the wounds he touches instantly, concentrating on the more serious looking ones.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have 64HP I can distribute amongst you all, Ismal and Draven are both full, so everyone else, take a share of that.
    Runa Redgrave

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner grunts and draws off his 'borrowed' shirt and armor, presenting himself for healing. His chest is essentially one large green-blue-black bruise, and a coin-sized scab clings bravely to the task of covering the wound that the spear had inflicted on his shoulder, front and back.
    "It's a rare gift to heal as you do." he comments. "And a very useful one."

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Khorik seems relieved as he takes his dose of healing. Some of the redness and blistering on his skin disappears and several of jagged axe wounds close up.

"Thank you. I'm discovering that having some around with your skills is a very good thing. I wish I'd met you years ago," he says amiably while pointing to a network of white scars showing brightly across his many black tattoos.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Veja looks at Draven as the clansman heals his companions. So, you a Cleric or something? No offence, but you don't strike me as the religious type.