New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Lightbulb [PrC] Skit skat skoodle do flip flop flee!

Rat-A-Tat

"Bippity bippity doo wop razzamatazz skoobie doobie bee bop a lula shabazz!" - Huey Halebough

Many have likened the city to a great beast, whose heartbeats can be sensed by those that stop to listen. The rise and falls of its moods become as well known as that of a loved one. Many become attuned to the rhythm of the teeming masses, and move to the beat of the city. They learn to play to its harmony and alter the music to their wishes. Such becomes a rat-a-tat, a literal street musician whose instrument is all around him.

Becoming a Rat-A-Tat
    You have gained a connection to your city and its spirit to a depth few can comprehend. You feel it as a living creature that can be soothed by your touch.
    Bards are of course the most likely to take levels in this class and reap the most benefits. Rogues with a flair for performance however are not unknown to follow the path.

Hit Die: d6

Requirements
    To qualify to become a rat-a-tat, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Skills: Knowledge (local) 8 ranks, Perform (percussion) 6 ranks
    Feats: City Slicker
    Special: Must have been born and raised exclusively within a city of the Large type.
    Language: Scat

Scat
    Scat is a language developed by other rat-a-tats to communicate between themselves and can be worked effortlessly into their performances. It is a bunch of nonsense syllables partially sung that changes and evolves by the moment with the flow and ebb of the city. Each city has its own beat so that though one who visits another city can pick up on the new style. Rat-a-tat cannot understand the others scat until one has picked up on it, so for example a rat-a-tat speaking Scat over a Sending spell to a rat-a-tat- in another city would not be understood. Scat is unique in being able to fool Tongues and similar spells that allows one to understand languages. Such spells allow the caster to understand and speak scat for the first round of use, but as the language changes the next moment the spell must be recast to continue communication. Scat costs 6 skill points to learn.

{table=head]Class Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells Per Day
    1st|+0|+2|+2|+0|Bardic Music, Skit-skat-skoodle-doo|+1 level of existing arcane class
    2nd|+1|+3|+3|+0|Feedback|-
    3rd|+2|+3|+3|+1|Flow of the Masses|+1 level of existing arcane class
    4th|+3|+4|+4|+1|Hubbub|+1 level of existing arcane class
    5th|+3|+4|+4|+1|Jive With the Thing|+1 level of existing arcane class
    6th|+4|+5|+5|+2|Talk the Talk|+1 level of existing arcane class
    7th|+5|+5|+5|+2|Walk the Walk|+1 level of existing arcane class
    8th|+6|+6|+6|+2|The Rumors of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated|+1 level of existing arcane class
    9th|+6|+6|+6|+3|Citybeat|-
    10th|+7|+7|+7|+3|Ear to the Ground|+1 level of existing arcane class[/table]

Class Skills
    The rat-a-tat's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Architecture and engineering/Local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Class Features
    All the following are Class Features of the Rat-A-Tat prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Rat-A-Tats gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day: When a new rat-a-tat level is gained, the character gains new spells per day, as shown in the table above, as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained unless noted, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a rat-a-tat, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Bardic Music: Each level you gain a use of Bardic Music. Rat-a-tat levels stack with bard levels for the purpose of determining the rat-a-tat's daily uses of his bardic music abilities (if any) and the value of the bonus granted by this music.
    A rat-a-tat also gains the countersong bardic music ability, if he doesn't already have it. See the bard class feature, Page 29 of the Player's Handbook.

Skit-skat-skoodle-doo (Ex): With a slap on the heels, a beat on a tub and the tear of a sack a rat-a-tat draws his audience. At first level a rat-a-tat can throw his instruments away if he likes, for he has learned to use whatever is at hand. A pipe, some cloth, even a wall can be turned into a complex instrument of his music, oftentimes even using his own body in the mix. This acts as a percussion instrument, though depending on the materials at hand it is also feasible to work it into a string or wind instrument.

Feedback (Su): At second level the rat-a-tat not only listens to the city but it begins to listen back. He can use his bardic music to adjust and tweak the rythem to suit his needs. Unless noted otherwise the caster level is equal to the rat-a-tat's character level.

Key to the City: At 2nd level a rat-a-tat may use a use of his bardic music to cause an object to open as the Knock spell or lock as the Arcane Lock spell.

Word of Mouth: At 3rd level a rat-a-tat may use a use of his bardic music to send vibrations rushing out through the city, allowing him to deliver a message as the whispering wind spell. The rat-a-tat may use his bardic music through this ability as long as he is within the limits of a city, costing 2 uses of his music total, one for the music, one for the whispering wind affect.

Po' Boy's Shelter: At 4th a rat-a-tat may use up two uses of his bardic music to cause a building to bud a small sideroom or basement which acts as the tiny hut spell.

Remodeling: At 5th level a rat-a-tat may use up two uses of his bardic music to alter a building, a stretch of road, section of wall, and similar. This functions as stone shape except it applies to any man-made construction.

Talk of the Town: At 6th level a rat-a-tat may use up three uses of his bardic music to speak with a building, street, or other part of a city once per day. This ability is the equivalent of a stone tell spell (using your rat-a-tat level as the caster level), except that it works on any part of the city.

And The Dish Ran Away With the Spoon: At 7th level a rat-a-tat may use up three uses of his bardic music to infuse an object with the life of the city. This acts as the Animate Object spell, caster level equal to the rat-a-tat's character level.

The bard may use six additional uses of his daily bardic musics to make this affect permanent. The animated object created in this way however may not venture outside the city limits or it collapses into lifelessness once more. Returning the object to the city limits does not bring it back to life.

Jitterbug: At 8th level a rat-a-tat may use up three uses of his bardic music to put a spell on a 10-foot section of street or an area of a room. Anyone who passes over that spot must succeed on a save (DC = rat-a-tat's level + Cha modifier) or be affected as if by Otto's Irresistible Dance. The spell imbues the area for one round per rat-a-tat level.

Flow of the Masses (Ex): At 3rd level a rat-a-tat gains Crowd Tactics as a bonus feat, even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites. As well, a rat-a-tat need not make a concentration check to cast spells when subject to vigorous movement, such as being jostled in the midst of a crowd.

Hubbub (Ex): A 4th level rat-a-tat can use those around him as his verbal component to his spells, picking out snatches of conversation for the spell to work on. This allows him to cast spells with a verbal component even when he himself is unable to speak. This ability only works within 100 feet of a small crowd or larger that can be heard by the rat-a-tat.

Jive With the Thing (Ex): While in the confines of a city a rat-a-tat may use his bardic music and spells with the mind-affecting effect on creatures with the Construct-type.

Talk the Talk (Sp): At sixth level a rat-a-tat grasps the underlying similarities between a people's spoken words and can understand and speak any language as the Tongues spell.

Walk the Walk (Ex): At seventh level a rat-a-tat comes to fully understand the ebb and flow of the masses. While in the midst of a crowd he is considered to be under the affects of the Freedom of Movement spell. For example he may move through the crowd at anything from a walk to a run, even use his tumble skill, without a reduction in speed.

While on an artificial street the rat-a-tat gains a 10-foot bonus to his land speed.

The Rumors of My Death Have Been Greatly Exagerated (Su): Once per week you may start a rumor that spreads through an urban area like wildfire. For one day per rat-a-tat level anyone who makes a DC 15 knowledge (local) or gather information check within the town or city limits hears tell of this latest gossip in addition to the normal information they would recieve from the check. Those that hear the gossip must succeed on a will save (DC = rat-a-tat's level + Cha modifier) or become convinced the tale is true. Those who know the area or subject of the rumor gain a +4 bonus to the save, while those who were present during the supposed time the object of the rumor took place gain a +10 bonus to their save.

Citybeat (Ex): Once a day a rat-a-tat with 18 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use music or poetics to create an effect equivalent to the Earthquake spell while within city limits as the entire area starts to move to the rat-a-tat's beat. Structures are not automatically harmed unless the rat-a-tat wishes. With open ground the rat-a-tat may choose to deposite those that fall within into the sewer system beneath if the locale has such instead of killing.

Ear to the Ground (Su): At 10th level a rat-a-tat can close his eyes and let the beat of the city tell him what he needs to know. He gains blindsight out to 60 feet while within a population of town-sized or higher. He always knows when there is a large disturbance in the city, what its cause is, its general direction, and its distance. A marching mob, a collapsing building, or a spreading fire are all examples of such a detectable disturbance.

As well, the rat-a-tat always knows where he is within a city related to the rest of it, and gains a +10 insight bonus to Knowledge (local) checks to name exactly where he is.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-22 at 12:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [PrC] Skit skat skoodle do flip flop flee!

Excellent! Giving permanent duration uses might be a bit much though, even with the caveats.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

A high-level rat-a-tat would control every back alley of a city; thieves would give him a cut of every theft, or else they'd find violent, animated heaps of trash pursuing them - also a useful deterrent for overly curious lawmen. If troublesome adventurers wander into town, he'd be able to rile the cityfolk into a murderous mob ready to see the heroes' heads on pikes. And if they discovered his schemes, he'd just dodge into the midday mob and vanish without trace.

I don't think I'd like to play this PrC, but it's absolutely brilliant for a nontraditional, Fagin-like, criminal mastermind BBEG.
    Evan Dittismith avatar courtesy of The Stoney One.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by MagFlare View Post
    I don't think I'd like to play this PrC, but it's absolutely brilliant for a nontraditional, Fagin-like, criminal mastermind BBEG.
    Or of course the 'Tom Bombadil'-esque good guy who helps the party along.

"I'd love to help you more, but this is my city, I'd rather not leave it"
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2007-06-09 at 09:19 AM.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate Scribe View Post
    Excellent! Giving permanent duration uses might be a bit much though, even with the caveats.
    I'm assuming you're referring to the Animated Object? If so, well, basically at the level he gains it he can permanently animate them once per day and uses up almost all available uses of bardic music so he gets none of the other benefits of it. Also, these objects can't leave the city. Thought it was enough of a restriction to balance it.

I don't know, in an urban campaign this guy could be a whole lotta fun

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nice, though in an urban campaign... Might be a bit too powerful. Every day the party'd get a new animated object to fight any baddies with...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rnett View Post
    Nice, though in an urban campaign... Might be a bit too powerful. Every day the party'd get a new animated object to fight any baddies with...
    As opposed to a wizard, who can have loads of animated objects whenever he wants.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nice PrC.

Your table doesn't match with the description of the abilities: it says that a Rat-a-tat gains 'Talk the talk' at 7th level, while the description says 5th level.

Also, I love these names for the abilities.

Edit: What kind of save is needed for 'the rumours of my death were greatly exaggerated'? Will save, or a nameless save without any bonus? Anyhow, it's kind of confusingly worded.
    Last edited by Simius; 2007-06-09 at 01:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am totally going to have an NPC of this class in my current campaign. This is so wonderfully flavorful and still fairly powerful.

Simius pointed most out the problems I was going to mention, though. One thing I wanna ask: There's nothing about this class that requires spellcasting to get in. What do you do with those arcane spell levels if you come in from pure rogue?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Ok, have fixed the problems mentioned. Not sure how all that got so confuseled.

Anyhow, it's kind of confusingly worded.
    Which part in particular?

One thing I wanna ask: There's nothing about this class that requires spellcasting to get in. What do you do with those arcane spell levels if you come in from pure rogue?
    Like most PrC's, nothing really. This is why it is probably best if you multiclass with bard at least for a single level.

11. - Top - End - #11

Very cool, as usual, but it seems as though it should have an alignment restriction [maybe there is one and I just missed it]. I'm not necessarily saying it needs to be only good or non-evil, though those would fit, something like a requirement that their alignment match that of the mainstream of the city could also work.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like it a lot. I could easily see myself playing this. For some reason it really gave me a Planescape (Torment) vibe. Was that intended?
    I think, therefore I am... I think...

13. - Top - End - #13

RogueGuy

I have to say this is pure genius. I think a beguiler might make an interesting base for this as well.
    Ask a Ninja Ninja: "Soylent Green is Kermit"
    Risus for Solars:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post11188890

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Poppatomus View Post
    Very cool, as usual, but it seems as though it should have an alignment restriction [maybe there is one and I just missed it]. I'm not necessarily saying it needs to be only good or non-evil, though those would fit, something like a requirement that their alignment match that of the mainstream of the city could also work.
    I dunno, these guys can be pretty much what they like. Didn't think there was anything in here that hinted towards one leaning or the other.

For some reason it really gave me a Planescape (Torment) vibe. Was that intended?
    Though I've heard a lot about Planescape, I don't know much about it.

I think a beguiler might make an interesting base for this as well.
    Oh, yeah, most like.

15. - Top - End - #15

RogueGuy

I was wondering, how does a Rat-A-Tat realign himself to a new city? I know he would never leave his chosen city without being forced to but what if it was totally destroyed beyond and completely impossible to rebuild? Could he find a different city? How long would it take to realign? What happens to exRat-A-Tats? Isn't it fun to talk only in questions?
    Ask a Ninja Ninja: "Soylent Green is Kermit"
    Risus for Solars:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post11188890

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jjpickar View Post
    I was wondering, how does a Rat-A-Tat realign himself to a new city?
    Could he find a different city? How long would it take to realign? What happens to exRat-A-Tats? Isn't it fun to talk only in questions?
    I'd think it'd just be kinda like a druid 'communing' with nature to gain spells. Just walk about get a feel for the new city, and badda bing, badda boom, he's got it!

Ex-rat-a-tats? Err, you mean those that go out and live in the country? I... guess they'd become the main character in some movie with the overdone theme of 'city boy goes to the farm and has amusing episodes involving manure, hogs, and if he's lucky, the farmer's daughter'.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-06-10 at 10:04 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Btw, for those of you sending me messages poking fun at the name of the new language, here are a couple examples of Scat:

The Scat Man
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zQds0IYeI

Ella Fitzgerald
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbL9vr4Q2LU

18. - Top - End - #18

Chimera

Reminds me a bit of that PrC... what was it... Soul of the City, or something?

Not ability-wise, but just the "so in tune with his city that he gets special powers."

Actually, that class had a capstone ability where you could either pick one specific city to focus your power on, and get some awesome power, or have your power apply to any city, but it's a slightly lesser power. That seems like something that would fit in here, if you wanted.

This post would be a lot more useful if I was less vauge...

Anyway, cool class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmuncher View Post
    Reminds me a bit of that PrC... what was it... Soul of the City, or something?

Not ability-wise, but just the "so in tune with his city that he gets special powers."
    Aye, they are worshippers of Urbanus, god of cities, etc, who grants them powers over the city.

Anyway, cool class.
    thanks

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Secret Language: Jive

Cool VT. I saw the title and could only imagine what horrors you were creating now.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maerok View Post
    Secret Language: Jive

Cool VT. I saw the title and could only imagine what horrors you were creating now.
    'Horrors? Man, that ain't cool. Could hurt a fellas feelings. We just play a little music and singing a little song is all.'

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Love this PrC! Great job. I'd love to play one of these, or just have one around as an NPC that can help the PCs or hurt them if they start stepping on his rat-a-toes.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Pretty cool class. One possible error I noticed was in "The Rumors of My Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated" ability. Shouldn't the DC be 10+1/2 rat-a-tat's level+Cha modifier?
    Last edited by Anxe; 2007-07-02 at 08:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    Pretty cool class. One possible error I noticed was in "The Rumors of My Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated" ability. Shouldn't the DC be 10+1/2 rat-a-tat's level+Cha modifier?
    nope its different for PrCs

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Since PrC's have 10 levels max, a PrC ability could only have +5 DC if it was 1/2 class level. By making it +10, this compensates for weakened and lost main class abilities.
    Ralien, my elf soulknife, by Magioth.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

The flavor of this is absolutely great. On the question of balance, though... Do bard and rat-a-tat levels stack for determining what bardic music abilities the character gets, or just for the number of daily uses? For instance, would a Bard 10 / Rat-a-tat 8 be able to use Mass Suggestion? If so, I don't see any reason for a bard not to take this class: He would still have all of the abilities of a pure bard of his total level (except for a little less spellcasting), plus some extra abilities usable whenever he's in a city.

Also, any permanent-duration ability that carries no expense can get very powerful, very quickly. Every day that your rat-a-tat has nothing better to do with his music, he's going to animate another item. It won't take too long before he's got every bit of trash in the city serving him. To balance this, you might set some limit on the maximum amount of such items he can have at a time... Perhaps 4 times his class level in hit dice?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Animate Objects has a duration of round/level, so I don't think hordes of anything is going to be a problem.
    EDIT: Missed that last part about making it permenant.
    And from my understanding of it you get Rat-a-tat Bardic abilities instead of Normal Bard abilities. I could be wrong though.

And thanks for clearing up the part about the DC.
    Last edited by Anxe; 2007-07-03 at 08:53 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    The flavor of this is absolutely great. On the question of balance, though... Do bard and rat-a-tat levels stack for determining what bardic music abilities the character gets, or just for the number of daily uses? For instance, would a Bard 10 / Rat-a-tat 8 be able to use Mass Suggestion?
    No, it only stacks for the daily uses of the music.

"Bardic Music: Rat-a-tat levels stack with bard levels for the purpose of determining the rat-a-tat's daily uses of his bardic music abilities (if any) and the value of the bonus granted by this music."

Also, any permanent-duration ability that carries no expense can get very powerful, very quickly. Every day that your rat-a-tat has nothing better to do with his music, he's going to animate another item. It won't take too long before he's got every bit of trash in the city serving him. To balance this, you might set some limit on the maximum amount of such items he can have at a time... Perhaps 4 times his class level in hit dice?
    Well, there is the bit though about them not ever being able to leave the city.
    So, I mean, if the campaign never leaves the city, and he uses up almost all his bardic music in one go for days straight it 'is' possible... so I dunno.

29. - Top - End - #29

Excellent class. Doesn't really fit my campaign, but meh, I'll find somewhere to use it.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is the base DC for 'Rumours' 10+half ratatat level+Cha, or half ratatat level + Cha?
    Various Homebrew: Why not check it out? You're unlikely to be disappointed.