1. - Top - End - #271
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

Don't Panic.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

"A wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat." -Louis L'amour
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

A good leader must be able to stand alone, yet must command such loyalty that he never has to.

If you would lead, first learn to follow.

A good leader generously shares credit, and jealously claims blame.

A good leader often says "follow me" and rarely"go there"

when instructing a pupil, a wise man explains a task in seven ways

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

"We must never give up the fight. The minute we do that, we have lost." Ezio Auditore Da Firenze, Assassin's Creed II
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist"
    LGBTA+itP
    I'm dyslectic and English is not my first language, so I'll probably make a few spelling errors.
    the Third god of Ghysa, the Rainbow Prince(ss) (RIP), and None, Master of Shadows, and currently Nature's Sculptor, Nathall

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

I know it's not a quote but

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Briefly skimmed topic dunno if this one has been said but it one of my favorites.

"Only two things are infinite. The multiverse and [insert race here] stupidity. And I am not sure about the multiverse." Adapted from Albert Einstein. Good for any arrogant or racist caster. LN or LE likely. Could work on any actual race that has a favored enemy and a tactical mind as well.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

All from Lord Baden Powell, founder of the World Scouting Movement. (The Boy Scouts)

Mind you, I have had in my sojourn on earth as good a time of it as any man, so I can speak with some knowledge. A writer in the Manchester Guardian who is unknown to me lately described me as "the richest man in the world." That sounds a pretty big order, but when I come to think it out I believe he is not far wrong. A rich man is not necessarily a man with a whole pot of money but a man who is really happy. And I am that

It is risky to order a boy not to do something; it immediately opens to him the adventure of doing it

O God, help me to win, but in thy wisdom if thou willest me not to win, then O God, make me a good loser

We should take care, in inculcating patriotism into our boys and girls, that is a patriotism above the narrow sentiment which usually stops at one's country, and thus inspires jealousy and enmity in dealing with others... Our patriotism should be of the wider, nobler kind which recognises justice and reasonableness in the claims of others and which lead our country into comradeship with...the other nations of the world

A Scout is never taken by surprise; he knows exactly what to do when anything unexpected happens

Try to leave this world a little better than you found it and, when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you have not wasted your time but have done your best

Look wide, and even when you think you are looking wide - look wider still

Happiness is open to all, since, when you boil it down, it merely consists of contentment with what you have got and doing what you can for other people

applicable to any Good leader or character

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    "Only two things are infinite. The multiverse and [insert race here] stupidity. And I am not sure about the multiverse." Adapted from Albert Einstein. Good for any arrogant or racist caster. LN or LE likely. Could work on any actual race that has a favored enemy and a tactical mind as well.
    Cut out a small bit to get "Only two things are infinite. The multiverse and stupidity. And I am not sure about the multiverse."

Aka, the Wizard who Hates Everyone!
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-05-12 at 03:23 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Cut out a small bit to get "Only two things are infinite. The multiverse and stupidity. And I am not sure about the multiverse."

Aka, the Wizard who Hates Everyone!
    Hey, this is 50% of what my best friend plays

11. - Top - End - #281
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

A good man draws a circle around himself and cares for those within – his woman, his children. Other men draw a larger circle and bring within their brothers and sisters. But some men have a great destiny. They must draw around themselves a circle that includes many, many more.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

"Hey, you mix potions right? Can you brew me an ale?" -Hold Guard #894, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

A good one who is really good at making potions and drinks

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

"As a rule of thumb, trust those who are kind to children. Such kindness is proof that they can treat those meeker and weaker than them with respect when at any time they could abuse their power over them towards cruel or selfish ends."
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    "As a rule of thumb, trust those who are kind to children. Such kindness is proof that they can treat those meeker and weaker than them with respect when at any time they could abuse their power over them towards cruel or selfish ends."
    A good one for a good aligned person who seems to always take care of children, or a character like Joel from The Last of Us.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Lad, that window won that fight. Twice." said to our ranger by our duskblade.

Spoiler
    Show

Our ranger, in his infinite wisdom, wanted to make a cool entrance and jump through a window that was old, stuck, and partially boarded up (there was a battle in the alleyway behind the building they were in). I figure a DC 11 is fine, it takes a bit to force through, less than a shoddy wood door which is 13. He runs leaps makes his strength check with a +2 circumstance bonus, rolls a 1. With a strength bonus of 1. He falls down, rebuffed by a fairly thin pane of glass and some old boards. Undaunted, he tries yet again. He loosened some boards, so I drop the DC to 8. Gets up runs, jumps, and rolls a 2. For a total of 5. Next round he decides to hit it with his shortsword, and does 1 point of damage since objects take half damage (rolled a one again). He then goes to jump out of the weakened glass (DC 5 now) and rolls a 19. Right as the fight ends. The kicker? There was an open door about ten feet behind him that he easily could have walked out and around if not immediately but after his second failure.

Or he could have just opened the window.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I really like this idea, i once based an entire character off the song "Sympathy for the Devil"

I've always thought Babylon 5 was a gold mine for quotable lines

Spoiler: B5 Quotes
    Show
    I really hate it when you get heroic. Cuts into my business. A man's got to earn a living, you know - Michael Garibaldi

You should never hand someone a gun unless you're sure where they'll point it. Your mistake. - Jeffrey Sinclair

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of ... These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

"No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother." Not for millions…not for glory…not for fame. For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.

Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.

Londo: Because I have asked you. Because your loyalty to our people should be greater than your ambition. And because I have poisoned your drink.

Marcus: Because if you don't, then in five minutes, I will be the only person at this table still standing.
    [Five Mins Later] Bugger! Now I have to wait for someone to wake up.

Marcus: I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.

I am a Ranger! We walk in the dark places no others will enter! We stand on the bridge and no one may pass! We live for the One, we die for the One!

We thought you were dead.
    [deadpan] I was. I'm better now.

G'Kar: I have seen what power does, and I have seen what power costs. The one is never equal to the other.

Dukhat: When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be

Ivanova: Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me.

G'Kar: You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it.

Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet! You can travel further with both than you can with just one.

Londo Mollari: On my world, we have learned that an inauguration is simply a signal to assassins that a new target has been set up on the firing range.

Bester [to Franklin]: You're an optimist. Thank you. I had almost forgotten what one of your kind looked like.

Galen: If sometimes dreams come true, then what of our nightmares?

Spoiler: Some other random Quotes
    Show
    "You shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize."
    —Mr. White, Reservoir Dogs

"I can kill anything that exists, even if it's a god."
    — Shiki Ryougi, Kara no Kyoukai

We might be facing 50 million monsters, but those monsters would be facing the gods!
    —Tomonaja Ijiro, World War Z

A guy opens his door and gets shot, you think that of me? No, I am the one who knocks!
    — Walter White, Breaking Bad

I just surfed a robo Dracula from the moon, so all yalls can just take it!
    — Dr. McNinja, The Adventures of Dr. McNinja

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Vknight went crazy with this and there not all great though I just kind of had fun with it.
    Show
    "Victory is not in these simple things of besting the opponent on the battlefield, I have won this battle, I will win this war, no victory would have never having had to go to war"

"Never bet big the cards can always turn things against you"

"Love is a gorgeous dangerous, violent, and beautiful thing. Do not forget that or let it go you will regret it; I still am"

"I do not care what you want to be called, how you see yourself, or what you see yourself as. I work in the realm of science, so I do not have times for a flight of fancy"

"I do not care what you want to be called, or how you want to be seen. Change your morph if you don't like it and get over your self-entitled bull" : A variant more built around Eclipse Phase.

"No. Your simply wrong, its not a matter of opinion, its not what you believe. You could believe the sky is raining unicorns right now and it would not change the cold hard reality you want to avoid"

"Hate is a strong emotion to feel about someone. I don't hate people, just am not a fan of people, its not malicious its not something I put my time towards it simply is."

"No the killing part, that is easy the adrenaline, the damage that surprise strike will do. You will have the ball in your court from the first seconds. No what is hard is when things die down it cools off, what happens then that is hard, that is when you go can I live with myself?"

"Being foolish isn't relentless optimism; it's when you call them a fool"

"To be critic of something you must watch/read what have you the media in question. Your not a critic for saying something sucks and not bothering to put the effort towards it your just a jerk"

"I think your looking at this in the wrong light. Yes I want to kill you, but its your own fault for angering the right people"

"Do I feel guilt? Yes but I'm not letting it cloud my choices, my judgement or my reasoning, you have a choice and that choice means lives, so do you take it?"

"If you draw that, well you have a choice there. The moment you draw that you can't change it"

"Only a great fool would think in such a manner, but then again what am I if not a fool?"

"Listen well in a throne room befriend a fool for he is wise, in ways that you shall come to know"

"Mourn not the passing of others, for they are in a better place and then why should you mourn them?"

"Cosmic Horror, is boring you want to scare me with the story of a big fish. We built the Pyramids, charted the sea, and have walked on the moon; no a big fish doesn't scare me."

"So none of us are worried about the fact an SCP which is in minimum containment, that it almost killed 682... no... no one at all is scared by how dangerous that thing could be"

"I find your lack of pants most intriguing but shall we leave this for another time, another place, more candles and some personal contact"

"No I'm going to fight the monster like this if your going to get me up at this hour I'll kill it now, then worry about getting dressed later"
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Some of these quotes feel overly harsh, maybe even discriminatory, outside their original context...
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-05-13 at 08:45 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Some of these quotes feel overly harsh, maybe even discriminatory, outside their original context...
    I'm not sure I'm seeing the harsh/discriminatory part. Are you sure it's there?

But then again, my tolerance for rude/vulgar/obscene comments is extremely high.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    I'm not sure I'm seeing the harsh/discriminatory part. Are you sure it's there?

But then again, my tolerance for rude/vulgar/obscene comments is extremely high.
    Same.

Harsh, maybe. I don't see discriminatory anywhere
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Same.

Harsh, maybe. I don't see discriminatory anywhere
    Some of these quotes are talking about people in harsh situations, like Rocky Balboa said

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life."

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

A good one for a good aligned person who seems to always take care of children, or a character like Joel from The Last of Us.
    I feel like it's exactly the kind of quote you'd get about that kind of person, but something they wouldn't say themselves.

Spoiler: Black knight / commit evil to destroy evil type
    Show
    "I don't. I don't think I'm better than them, actually. I stared too long into the abyss and now it stares back out of my eyes. The difference is that I will wade through the blood of the guilty and emerge to kneel down and accept whatever justice is given to me. I will consume the darkness in those I kill and let the righteous blade of my executioner purge it from the world."
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

God created all men equal, Samuel Colt made it so.
    -A gunslinger

If my chute don't open wide, I got a reserve by my side, if that one should fail me too, look out ground I'm comin through
    - C130 cadence. good for a gung-ho character.

where a goat can go, a man can go, and where a man can go, he can drag a gun.
    -an artilleryman

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    I feel like it's exactly the kind of quote you'd get about that kind of person, but something they wouldn't say themselves.
    I thought this was "quotes to build a character off of" not "quotes the character would say"

But I could be wrong. It that case, my mistake

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I doubt any of them have original context. I made them up myself I went with a bit of a harsh tone to go against the grain as it were. Going for characters who could be opposition or take a view very different from others on things.
    The closest to an actual quote is the mourn not the passing of others. Then again maybe these are similar to actual quotes I cannot say.
    The fact I'm not a constant cynic says a lot about my willing to be an optimist.

Spoiler: Not an Exact Copy of the dialogue but yeah, Feste is one of the greatest of Shakespeare's, fools.
    Show
    Feste : Good lady why does though mourn?
    Olivia : Good Fool why for my brothers death.
    Feste : I think his soul is in hell
    Olivia : I know his soul is in heaven fool
    Feste : More fool, to mourn for your brothers soul in heaven, take away the fool gentlemen

"Even the wise king Solomon was fooled never forget that"

"I am an optimist, I see the bad but if you only focus on that you'll miss all that marvelous beauty"

Really, most of the stuff from Melody Sheep could have a use.
    Also music in general because lyrics can hold brilliant little ideas for quotes

"No don't worry rest I'll make sure we make it,you can rely on me"

"Feel the world within you and around you, breathe it and relax the world isn't perfect but we can still do good"
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    I doubt any of them have original context. I made them up myself I went with a bit of a harsh tone to go against the grain as it were. Going for characters who could be opposition or take a view very different from others on things.
    Mmm... Gritty

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mmm... Gritty
    Yup, that is one way to put it

I've written up some super cool scenarios that I would love to talk about in depth but this isn't the place.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Yup, that is one way to put it

I've written up some super cool scenarios that I would love to talk about in depth but this isn't the place.
    Are you usually a really deep person?

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Are you usually a really deep person?
    All things considered?
    Eh, being deep and introspective has its place, but one needs to relax at times and enjoy the Rock fighting Christopher Walken in the Amazon.

So the answer is yes and no, I don't recommend always being deep, sometimes you need to relax.
    My suggestion if you want to have that relaxed mix of being deep well still enjoying things which are fun; is get accused of something horrible that you didn't do, really makes you think.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

All things considered?
    Eh, being deep and introspective has its place, but one needs to relax at times and enjoy the Rock fighting Christopher Walken in the Amazon.

So the answer is yes and no, I don't recommend always being deep, sometimes you need to relax.
    My suggestion if you want to have that relaxed mix of being deep well still enjoying things which are fun; is get accused of something horrible that you didn't do, really makes you think.
    Join the A-Team?

They'll never let me in, I can actually hit a target