New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

"the collectors killed you and all that did was piss you off. i don't like their chances."
    -Garrus Vakarian to Commander Shepard

If we shadows have offended think but this and all is mended that you have but slumbered here while these visions did appear and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. Gentles do no reprehend, if you pardon we shall mend. Else the Puck a liar call, so goodnight unto you all. And as I am an honest Puck, if we have unearned luck, take my hands if we be friends, and Robin shall restore amends.
    - Puck's speech, A midsummer nights dream.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

"Now, I'll be the first to admit, humans... are the worst. Case in point." *gestures towards self*

"Hmm, let's see, what does this button do?" *presses button on stolen ship* *muffled explosion*
    "Oh, fun!"

"You're asking the wrong questions, Red! It's not what I have to gain, it's that I can't afford to lose! I may be a gambling man, but even I know that there are some bets you just don't take. Like it or not, the people that hired me are going to change the world! You can't stop 'em, I can't stop 'em! You know the old saying, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. You got spirit. But this is the real world! The real world is COLD! The real world, doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other one in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!"

That last one, especially.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Deegan
    "You're older, more powerful, and that glyph on your head blocks my second sight...but listen to me well, seer, because I'm only going to say this once. I'm not afraid of you."
    More fearless defiance, courtesy of Dominic Deegan.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    "Now, I'll be the first to admit, humans... are the worst. Case in point." *gestures towards self*

"Hmm, let's see, what does this button do?" *presses button on stolen ship* *muffled explosion*
    "Oh, fun!"

"You're asking the wrong questions, Red! It's not what I have to gain, it's that I can't afford to lose! I may be a gambling man, but even I know that there are some bets you just don't take. Like it or not, the people that hired me are going to change the world! You can't stop 'em, I can't stop 'em! You know the old saying, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. You got spirit. But this is the real world! The real world is COLD! The real world, doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other one in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!"

That last one, especially.
    Ah RWBY source of many good quotes

"SAL-YOU-TATIONS! I'm combat ready"

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Psalm 144, verse 1 and 2.

Paladin, cleric, or conquering king
    There are actually so many Bible verses I wanted to quote, bit didn't in fear of breaking the rules, but I think that pretty much every paladin and cleric somehow uses this quote
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

6. - Top - End - #366

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by eru001 View Post
    Ah RWBY source of many good quotes
    Indeed!

"Are you...robbing me?"

"Seeing new weapons is like meeting new people...but...better..."

"Its also a gun"

"As a girl, I wanted to be just like those heroes in the books...Someone who fought for what was right, and protected people who couldn't protect themselves!"
    *insert cynical comment from somebody else about how the real world is crap here*
    "Well that's why we're here. To make it better."

"You've got a team now, Jaune. We both do. And if we fail, then, we'll just be bringing them down with us. We have to put our teammates first, and ourselves second. Your team deserves a great leader, Jaune. And I think that can be you."

"I'm just not much of a fancy pantsy... dancey girl."

"We've never backed down before, and we're not going to start now."

"I don't care what you say! We WILL stop them, and I WILL stop you! BET ON THAT!"

"She's always wanted to be a Huntress. It's like she said, ever since she was a kid, she'd dreamt about being the heroes in the books. Helping people and saving the day, and never asking for anything else in return. Even when she couldn't fight, she knew that's what she wanted to do. That's why she trained so hard to get where she is today."

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "[The world] doesn't need genius level ditch digger, ED!" "I think that depends on how complex you want your ditches."
    Show
    -Between Failures

Someone who does a simple job, and takes pride in it.
    Spoiler: "I could be anything, but I'm not done being nothing yet."
    Show
    -Between Failures

Good for the unwilling hero. When people usually say anything they usually actually mean something big an impressive. But anything those things that history doesn't care about and maybe someone isn't concerned about the world beyond their friends.
    Spoiler: "You will stop being creepy and weird this instant! [...] What did I just say about behaving weirdly and creepily?"
    Show
    -El Goonish Shive

The speaker doesn't actually seem concerned about what the subject is doing, just that it is weird and creepy. So someone that is harmless (or even helpful) but comes off really badly and freaks people out.
    Spoiler: "I will never deny someone their right to be hated."
    Show
    The statement itself is kind of abstract, but I'm going to say some sort of hero/law enforcement who doesn't really hate villains (at least until they do something really evil) but isn't worried about rehabilitating them either.

You could go the opposite way and say someone who is unpleasant and is OK with that.
    Spoiler: "Oh, please. The loudest aren't necessarily the majority, and as a load person, I should know."
    Show
    -El Goonish Shive

Someone who fights for a cause most people don't care about. You can adjust their morality with the cause they fight for. They also seem to be a bit self aware that other people don't care.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

"Remember, son, the only thing that makes a man able to get along in this world is his brain. A man doesn't have the claws a bear has, nor the strength of a bull. He doesn't have the nose of a wolf, nor the wings of a hawk, but he has a brain. You're going to get along in the world as long as you use it." - Scott Collins, Down the Long Hills (A really good book if you're into westerns, like me)

I think this is a good one for a ranger (since it was said by someone who pretty much was one) who has a high INT and WIS. But if anyone has a better idea, you know what to do.
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Song quote edition!

"Heroes always get remembered/But you know legends never die"
    - Panic! At the Disco, Emperor's New Clothes

"So we can take the world back from a heart attack/One maniac at a time we will take it back"
    - Fall Out Boy, The Phoenix

"You will remember me for centuries"
    - Fall Out Boy, Centuries

"Sorrow won't wane 'til you die/A shattered body deeply hurt/And darkness will cover the light/It's gone forevermore"
    - Blind Guardian, Battlefield (really the whole song is something you could make a campaign out of"

"Bring down the dark regime/I know how to unleash eternal power/Lead us to order/I am the Lightbringer!"
    - Pentakill, Lightbringer

"I've gotta make a stand/But I am just a man/(I'm not superhuman)/My voice will be heard today"
    - Skillet, Hero

"From the broken dreams of a restless mind/And the world spinning out of control/This is the last goodbye/You are the hero now/I am the music unbridled in your soul"
    - The Band With Rocks In (Soul Music), The Messenger
    Punster, straight as an aro, collector of hats.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Bugbear in the Playground

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!"

--The Rifleman's Creed of the United States Marine Corps.
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2016-06-11 at 02:04 PM.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

Here is oen from my friend's six year old son. I think it is a good one for a merchant who sells quality goods.

"That's a cool sword. I have one just like that, except it's not totally broken."

12. - Top - End - #372
    Orc in the Playground

For a disillusioned immortal:

"Life is like a fine wine. Best enjoyed in moderation."
    Just "John" is fine.

Credit to Edwin for the awesome orc avatar.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Commander Strax:

The Doctor: What are you doing here?
    Strax: Madam Vastra was wondering if you needed any grenades.
    The Doctor: Grenades?
    Strax: [thinking] She might have said help.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Tom View Post
    Commander Strax:

The Doctor: What are you doing here?
    Strax: Madam Vastra was wondering if you needed any grenades.
    The Doctor: Grenades?
    Strax: [thinking] She might have said help.
    I think this one is funny

15. - Top - End - #375

"I must kill fast and bullets too slow." -John Freeman
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    I think this one is funny
    Strax is utterly hilarious.

"You are healed, child. I hope one day to meet you in glorious battle, so I may destroy you for Sontar."
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2016-06-13 at 02:51 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    "I must kill fast and bullets too slow." -John Freeman
    I don't know. His quote that always inspired me was "It's time to do what has to be done like me and help my brother to defeat the enemies." It just sums up that sort of sums up his whole personal responsibility devotion, you know?
    Hazama avatar by me. Other avatars that I've made:
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

“There’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for." - Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings

A good one for a good-aligned character, but I think that fighter or paladin would be best.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

"Silly humans. Love is not hard or elusive to define at all. It is simply a subjective qualitative assessment of a person or object that places its quality above all other things in this world and entitles it to certain privileges from the assessor because of it, existing upon the wider subjective assessment spectrum which includes "like", "neutrality" "dislike" and "hate". It is a label to help you better organize what is positive and negative in this world, and thus is used to denote 100% or near 100% quality from your own perspective."
    -Any robot character.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #380

Flumph

"(I see a girl before me who has spent her entire life getting exactly what she wanted) That's not even remotely true! Well... not entirely true."

"It's exactly as you said: I'm a [insert character's family name here]. I have a legacy of honor to uphold. Once I realized I was capable of fighting, there was no longer a question of what I would do with my life. It was my duty."

"My father was not the start of our name, and I refuse to let him be the end of it."

"It's a job. We all had this romanticized vision of being a Huntress in our heads! But at the end of the day, it's a job to protect the people! And whatever we want, will have to come second."

21. - Top - End - #381
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

It is better to live a day as a lion, than a millennium as a sheep
    Last edited by eru001; 2016-06-15 at 11:52 PM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

“Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past Age, full of its own comings and goings, scarcely aware of the existence of Hobbits, for which I am very thankful.” - Gandalf, Lord of the Rings

A good one for a traveler who has seen that there is nothing new under the sun.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eru001 View Post
    It is better to live a day as a lion, than a millennium as a sheep
    ?????!!!!
    I believe that the usual English translation is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito Mussolini
    Better to live a day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep.
    Seriously??!!
    Well it's a good villain quote....
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

24. - Top - End - #384

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    ?????!!!!
    Well it's a good villain quote....
    Though actually the quote's not from Mussolini originally - it's attributed variously in several slightly different forms to the Tipu Sultan, Marshal Diaz, and some anonymous graffiti at the battle of Piave River, which is probably where Diaz and Musso nicked it from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

25. - Top - End - #385

"I worship an evil god, and he doesn't like you."

A quote I actually did build a character around. Generic half-orc cleric of Gruumsh. War and strength domains, incredible melee combatant, and a fine corrupting influence on the slightly good-leaning party.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

"Why should I apologize for being a monster? Has anyone ever apologized for turning me into one?" - Juuzou Suzuya, Tokyo Ghoul

A good one for a lich or vampire.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    "My father was not the start of our name, and I refuse to let him be the end of it."
    "My father was not the start of our name, and I will make sure he will be the end of it."

Yeah, I have a character based on that...

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    "My father was not the start of our name, and I will make sure he will be the end of it."

Yeah, I have a character based on that...
    This is pretty much the mentality of my family.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

"Give them the third best to go on with; the second best comes too late, the best never comes." - Robert Watson-Watt

"We travel not for trafficking alone;
    By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned.
    For lust of knowing what should not be known,
    We take the Golden Road to Samarkand." - J E Flecker

"To learn the age-old lesson day by day:
    It is not in the bright arrival planned,
    But in the dreams men dream along the way
    They find the Golden Road to Samarkand." - G M Fraser, presumably in imitation of Flecker

And last but not least:
    "It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how!" - Dr Seuss, The Cat in the Hat
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

30. - Top - End - #390
    Pixie in the Playground

And that, is why you can't play a Succubus.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.