New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

Have mercy/or you don't have nothing at all
    - Have Mercy Jason Gallagher

Probably good for a paladin or any good character who believes in redemption.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

2. - Top - End - #602
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

(tosses sword to enemy) There, i've given you your life. It is yours now to defend. You and my friend now have buisness. I am done here.
    -A paladin not above using exact words to bring down an evildoer.
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "Stop kidding yourself, you can't imaging me drunk."
    Show
    -Footloose

Take a drunk person, this character is the opposite of that.
    Spoiler: "I used to think my life was boring. Now I just wish it was."
    Show
    -Footloose

Sometimes you cross into the land of adventure... and just wish you could go back. A reluctant but accepting adventurer.
    Spoiler: "I knoW! Help Me Set FiRE to All the THiNGs THAT BEGiN wiTH L! OhH! *I* Begin with L!!!"
    Show
    -Footloose

An insane pyromaniac. Very insane. I mean you can feel the insanity dripping off of every word. At least that is what the capitalization seems to mean to me.
    Spoiler: "You are about to do something completely stupid. I wouldn't be a good scientist if I let you do it alone."
    Show
    -Luke Cage

Because science everyone. I get the feel this is a more restrained sort of mad scientist.
    Spoiler: "You get so close sometimes.." "I think we can both agree it would be a huge comedic letdown if I actually got there."
    Show
    -I Just Work Here

The fool who is wise in their own foolishness as the best fools are.

By the way, that's a fancy way of saying they are acting the fool.
    Spoiler: "How could a single regular person take down one of those monsters?!" "By being spectacular."
    Show
    -Hero Oh Hero

Combat focused bard. Also vain.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Taking a crack at this

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon
    I just fear that if Doc tried to kiss Andante, she'd bite him in the face! :o
    Quote Originally Posted by Yan Chan
    Given the choice between the two of you... I'd choose the lovesick crocodile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    That most dudebro of monks: Real Man Xiao
    And you need to say this with a nicely menacing tone. *cough*

"Everything you know is wrong
    Black is white, up is down, and short is long
    And everything that you thought
    was just so important doesn't matter."
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2016-12-26 at 05:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #605

I'm going to have to find a way to play this in whatever campaign I'm next in...

"Send me the best you got, send me your strongest machine, the fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me!! Is this the best you got!?! Is this your strongest machine!?! Now, with one power shot, you'll see, What Vengeance Means!!!"
    -excerpt from 'Vengeance' by The Protomen
    ...with a vengeance!

6. - Top - End - #606
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "... the heart of the Nazi space program." "How is it you can go around saying things like that like they're not insane?"
    Show
    -Atomic Robo

This happens after you uncover a half dozen global conspiracies. This sometimes happens when a series/campaign goes on too long, but it seems to work better as premise.
    Spoiler: "I have only been in two fights my entire life. Won both of them."
    Show
    There are plenty of reasons why one might avoid fighting. An inability to win those fights does not seem to be the reason here. In many systems it would be a challenge to keep the fight total that low... if you could pull it off I wonder if the character would be better for it.
    Spoiler: "You are so pessimistic." "I'm also still alive."
    Show
    An adventurer that takes few risks and assumes the worst. Makes me think of the old "10 foot pole" days (which is better than a 9 1/2 foot pole).
    Spoiler: "This is perfect!" "Y'did hear t'part where y'r in danger, right?"
    Show
    -Widdershins

Some one who can get excited past the point of self preservation. Hopefully it kicks back in when danger is closer.
    Spoiler: "But just look at her! She's the pure essence of evil!" "Butterfly!"
    Show
    -Twokinds

A fearsome and completely undeserved reputation. Not a lot of characters I see even have reputations, and those that do usually have earned it. So why not try one that hasn't.

Also I have one I would like to pitch to the thread. I feel there is a character here but I haven't figured it out yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire
    If God did not exist, he would have been invented.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.

-Han Solo
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eru001 View Post
    hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.

-Han Solo
    "Tell that to the guy piloting the mecha made of stone made in worship to a god no one believes in anymore."- A Hypothetical Snarky Response
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #609
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Klara Meison View Post
    I thank you for introducing me to this wonderful thing, and present a quote from it:

If he ever met politeness in a dark alley he’d knife it and rob the corpse.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "Safety first Robo." "In that this helmet is the first safe thing I have done today, yes."
    Show
    -Atomic Robo

They are taking risks, but at the same time they are entirely aware that they are. It might be a moment of desperation, someone who has nothing to lose... or it could be someone who is not taking their character's life seriously. I would avoid the latter.
    Spoiler: "If God did not exist, he would have been invented."
    Show
    -Voltaire

Someone religious as they have god existing as a straight fact. But also inventive and in a way undeniably confident in the ability of human beings. Those things don't actually run against each other, but still not a common combination.
    Spoiler: "Eugene, meanwhile, had turned himself into a tree."
    Show
    One named Eugene who turns into a tree... apparently without a lot of reason to do so. Plant based magic? Shape-shifter? But why the sudden transformation into a tree?
    Spoiler: "I could send you on a guilt trip just by saying you should feel guilty." "...Is there something I should feel guilty about?" "No"
    Show
    -El Goonish Shive

A noble soul, but one who is not entirely confident in their efforts and second guess themselves. I see some room to grow as they find their way.
    Spoiler: "He gave me two answers. Neither of which actually answered the question but I think I figured it out."
    Show
    Someone asked the old master a question.
    Spoiler: "I should also apologize for my partner's atrocious language." "He also tried to kill us." "But that was professional unpleasantness."
    Show
    I feel this sums up a professional and polite killer. Just from the sound of this, I would not be surprised is the speaker just tried to kill or is just about to try and kill who they are speaking to.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Fictional history is always better than real fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by King Henry II, _The Lion in Winter_
    I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be king, alive, and 50 all at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor of Aquitaine, _The Lion in Winter_
    Of course he's got a knife! We've all got knives! It's 1183, and we're barbarians!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard III, _Richard III_
    Why, I, in this weak piping time of peace,
    Have no delight to pass away the time,
    Unless to spy my shadow in the sun
    And descant on mine own deformity:
    And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover,
    To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
    I am determined to prove a villain
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Blackadder, _Blackadder III_
    Believe me, eternity in the company of Beelzebub and all his hellish instruments of death will be a picnic compared to five minutes with me and this pencil[.]

12. - Top - End - #612

"I don't believe in removing evil from this world. It's far more fulfilling to make a mockery of the villains who embody it."
    Lǐn Xuě Yā, Thunderbolt Fantasy
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

13. - Top - End - #613
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

1 Young knight learn
     To have love for God, honor the women,
    2 So waxes your honor.
     Practice Knighthood, and learn
    3 Art that adorns you,
     And in wars brings honor.
    4 Wrestle well, grappler.
     Glaive, spear, sword, and knife,
    5 Manfully handle,
     And in others’ hands ruin.
    6 Hew therein, and swift there.
     Rush in, hit or let drive.
    7 Those in the knowing
     Praise he who does this.
    8 Thereon you grasp,
     All Art has length and measure.

- Johannes Liechtenauer

14. - Top - End - #614
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

a few for morally questionable to straight up villain type characters.

more explosives is always the correct answer.
    snikt.
    on a scale of skeletor to vlad the impaler, I try to be around al capone.
    this bards main goal in life is to out do atilla the hun in terms of bed partners.
    don't be a sad face, here, let me give you a smile.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Troll in the Playground

According to my math... tomorrow would have made this thread necromancy. This thread doesn't get the action it used to.

Spoiler: "Angering powerful people in charge of shadowy organizations is pretty much my hobby."
    Show
    -Atomic Robo

Because why wait for a new threat when you can create one out of an existing player on the world stage. A proactive character who disrupts the status quo and annoys those who benefit from it.
    Spoiler: "Let me be heroic for a minute."
    Show
    Someone who wants to be a hero, but actually has no one to save. Maybe they live in a too peaceful world (unlikely) or there is another hero who could do the job (not recommended) or the one they want to save can save them selves (also tricky).
    Spoiler: "This is for the people I love, all seven billion of them."
    Show
    Motivated by the more general 'I love humanity'. A paladin's sort of motivation, help people because they are people, no other reason is required.
    Spoiler: "Oh, I can see you just fine... I just can't tell what you look like, that's all."
    Show
    -Breath of Fire IV

Blind oracle, they look at different things than we do. Maybe more important things than one's face.
    Spoiler: "We've got what Jetstone paid for, Warlord! [...] Luckily for you... They paid a lot."
    Show
    -Erf World

Power for hire. Lots and lots of power for hire.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Orc in the Playground

"I am not made of steel. Rage. I... am made... of RAGE!!!"
    -Colossus, (Joss Whedon)

Warforged Barbarian. 'Nuff said.
    If violence wasn't the last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
    A soft answer turneth away Wrath. Once Wrath looks away, shoot it in the head.
    The longer everything goes to plan, the bigger the impending disaster.
    Those who spell rogue 'rouge' will be the first to go when I am overlord.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Orc in the Playground

Fortunately, he was a mage. He had a way of eating his cake and having it too - Mother of Learning
    Chief Librarian and Chronicler of Ashiel

18. - Top - End - #618
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Its not the craziest thing I've asked you to do, hey its not even the craziest thing I've asked you to do today.
    Harry Dresden to Murphy

19. - Top - End - #619

The webcomic A Softer World is a goldmine for this.

We can give you a new body, a new voice. You'll miss your parents, and the sun, but you could sing.

Operator, put God on. Yes, I'll hold.
    God? You're next.

Death is coming and we've been making charts, wasting time. I am a bat**** genius scientist prophet goddess and I will be free. And I guess this message is to let you know I won't be in tomorrow.

I like my witches like I like my books. Properly respected for their cultural importance.

An easy alternative to meditation is just letting yourself not care for a few hours.

Such trivialities do not even register to me. I am a being of pure reason. Love would only slow me down.

Imagine how trapped you would feel if you were living the life you should.

Your touch brings me to life. Not like Frankenstein, like HAL.

Do not be ashamed of your secrets. I can't imagine a lion who thinks starving is better than someone watching them kill.

Had a job predicting the future. Got fired for crying.

When you're near, the creatures inside me go still and quiet and watch you from behind my eyes.

There are just two things that make life worth living. The people you love, and sweet pranks.

I don't want a world without pain or loss. I just want them to mean something.
    Last edited by solidork; 2017-02-14 at 01:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Troll in the Playground

"I've been around longer than you have, kid. And I've seen my share of troubles. You're not the only one who knows what it's like to lose somebody. It looks like neither of us has led a charming life, have we? Still, it's not that bad. At least you and I have been lucky enough to find new comrades to help fill the void."

-Kakashi, Naruto

A good one for a veteran adventurer or just someone who has seen things that they would love to unsee.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    Operator, put God on. Yes, I'll hold.
    That's pretty funny on its own. Although you might need the second part for a character concept.

Spoiler: "I do something very, very difficult. I shut-up."
    Show
    -Ernesto Sirolli

Sometimes inaction is harder than action. Sometimes it is also more effective. A zen-type monk.
    Spoiler: "You can hate me later."
    Show
    -Earthsong Saga

An unpopular hero, saving people who don't want to be saved or from themselves. Or maybe that is just the justification, maybe they aren't quite the hero they tell themselves they are.
    Spoiler: "The only after effect I've noticed is a marked aversion to guns, knives and crime-fighters..."
    Show
    -Batman

This seems to sum up the edger versions of Batman, a hero, but one made of terror.

Challenge, anyone got a quote for the non-edge version of Batman, best I got is "Because I'm Batman."
    Spoiler: "Never imagined I'd be in here, did you?" "The closet? Certainly not."
    Show
    -Erf World

One who appears in closets, OK a little bit more generally, one who does things people aren't expecting, if only for comedic value. The other sort of unexpected is either stupidity or brilliance, maybe there is some overlap here?
    Spoiler: "Damages: 14.3 million dollars. A new record. Congratulations. Also, I hate you."
    Show
    The long suffering individual who has to clean up the messes everyone else leaves.

22. - Top - End - #622

More ASW.

So now you're telling me what I can and can't train my chickens to do? What the ****, officer?

If our love lasts forever, it's gonna get real awkward when one of us dies.

I am going to break your arm so that the bone juts out, and then I will stab you to death with your own insides. I will win this chess game, is what I'm saying.

Sure, confiscate my grappling hook. Arrest me if you have to. At least I know I tried.

You aren't really a good person but, god damn, you make bad look awesome.

Could you recommend a good book about raising your kids to not sex-murder people? I don't want to make the same mistakes my parents did.

I think I've got fireflies where my caution should be. (Instead of slowing down, I just shine brighter)

When I look at you, I can't help but think "Hell must be missing an angel."

In a dark, dark wood, there was a dark, dark house. And in that dark, dark house, I think we should get drunk and fool around.

If I could go back in time and give myself one piece of advice, it would be this: "Take your shirt off, and turn around. Mmmm."

I spent my childhood believing I was destined to be a hero in some far off magic kingdom. It was too late when I realized I was needed here.

You get this look in your eyes sometimes, like you've just realized I'm edible.

Do you ever get the feeling that God has a plan? And you're the only one who can stop it?

Everybody dies. Ever single person. So, style counts.

I would sell my soul for a soul worth keeping.

Okay okay, calm down. Lets settle this like men. Oil me up.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Firbolg in the Playground

"He's the most dangerous type of man in the whole city: a philosopher."

24. - Top - End - #624

"While You Were Being Heterosexual, I Studied The Blade"

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

"That's the way God works. He'll tell you how you'll be punished if you disobey, you'll disobey, and at first nothing will happen. But in time, punishment always comes. Justice does not come swiftly, but it does come, it shall come, and it must come."
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #626
    Orc in the Playground

From Harry Potter and Methods of Rationality, slightly edited to avoid unnecessary spoilers:

"So now I've got to find some way to kill an immortal Dark Wizard," he said, and sighed in frustration. "I really wish you had told me that before I started shopping."
    "There is no justice in the laws of Nature, mister, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky. But they don't have to! We care! There is light in the world, and it is us! "
    I'm not a psychopath, I'm just very creative.
    If I am not too young for moral judgment, then neither are they. No, mister, they didn't deserve to die. But they did deserve to be stripped naked and glued to the ceiling.
    Chief Librarian and Chronicler of Ashiel

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

A few more for various character ideas

"I mean yes you could kill me. Right here, and right now even but then I'm dead and your no closer to completing your goals."

"I trust you. Well I trust you in the some capacity."

"Hey you said I needed to record there code its not my fault you can't read wingdings."

To foes in a more intimidating negotiation
    "I am here to tell you how bad the situation is. And if I am doing that your better off surrendering or trying to kill me now"

"Go on make your grandiose claim I'll win this through my own tenacity, cunning not some grand super power."

"The technical term is harem. And I have no idea I accomplished this."
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

28. - Top - End - #628
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

He stepped into the room, and the nobles fell silent. Where their finery screamed "I am a man of wealth", his plain yet finely taylored clothing was calm but firm in it's assertion "I am a man of taste". Unlike theirs, his sword was hilted niether with gold nor silver, but polished steel. It's blade was honed by he himself that morning to a perfect edge, as it was every morning. No gems adorned the pommel, but the weapon's balance sat at the perfect spot, just barely forwards of the guard. The toys at the hips of his guests with all their sparkle, practically screamed "We are boys, playing at war". Well maintained weapon at his, quietly asserted, "I kill Men". There was a reason after all, that he was king, and they were mere nobility.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    "While You Were Being Heterosexual, I Studied The Blade"
    -A Fighter talking to the Barbarian, readying himself for battle. [3.5e, Colorized]
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "Yes, well, occasionally I manage to not get myself killed, so maybe some of my advice is worth listening to."
    Show
    -Earthsong Saga

How about the weakest of the bunch? Sure they may not be as strong, but the simple fact they have lasted shows they know how to get along without the raw strength.
    Spoiler: "We have...maybe an hour before the end of the world. Which is cool. That's about when I would usually start cramming for a final."
    Show
    -Erf World

A under-motivated student tasked with saving the world.
    Spoiler: "Trolling you is just a collateral benefit. U mad bro?"
    Show
    -Erf World

Someone who isn't doing it to have fun, but tries to some fun on the side.
    Spoiler: "A "cult"? Honestly, such intolerance of other people's beliefs." "You enslave minds!" "And I believe that's okay."
    Show
    -El Goonish Shive

Evil cultist villain, with mind control.
    P.S. Religious tolerance is not supposed to work like that.
    P.P.S. Of course cults don't actually have to be evil, but why break the pattern?