New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

"In the Ninja World, those who break the rules are scum, that's true...but those who abandon their friends are worse than scum!"
    -Kakashi, Naruto
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "I would rather stand and break than bend and never be straight."
    Show
    Any unyielding hero, world rather fail trying to accomplish their dreams/defending their convictions
    Spoiler: "I can't save the world, but I can add a few smiles while we wait for a proper hero."
    Show
    Someone of no great strength, but exceptional humor.
    Spoiler: "Nicky is going to her scary place again."
    Show
    Rushwell's Hovel. And I am totally going with symmetry between that phrase and happy place. So someone who can have far to much fun doing something that makes them scary.
    Spoiler: "Waiter, table for number one please."
    Show
    Exudes confidence and perhaps a little bit of arrogance. I enjoy that it is mixed into other comments.

To 8BitNinja: I heard a different version that I liked slightly better, something like: "In this world, those that break the rules are lower than scum, but those who won't break the rules to save their friends are even lower than that."

3. - Top - End - #633
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Lotta Gentleman Bastard quotes incoming. Good for thieves or chaotic characters.

"When you don't know everything, it's a fine time to shut your f*cking noisemaker and be polite"- Father Chains, The Lies of Locke Lamora.

"There's a few things I want to ask him. Philosophical questions. Like, "How does it feel to be dangled out a window by a rope tied around your balls, motherf*cker?""- The Lies of Locke Lamora.

"I don't need to be reminded that we're up to our heads in dark water. I just want you boys to remember that we're the gods-damned sharks."- See above.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Love the Locke Lamora books. I think these were my favourites:

"Someday, Locke Lamora,” he said, “someday, you're going to f*** up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will s*** comets with glee."

“I've got kids that enjoy stealing. I've got kids that don't think about stealing one way or the other, and I've got kids that just tolerate stealing because they know they've got nothing else to do. But nobody--and I mean nobody--has ever been hungry for it like this boy. If he had a bloody gash across his throat and a physiker was trying to sew it up, Lamora would steal the needle and thread and die laughing. He...steals too much.”

5. - Top - End - #635
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

"Well, I got to thinking about what peace really means, and how it can be achieved. SO I laid out an eleven-step plan to obliterate all sentient life on the moral, divine, and infernal planes. I got an academic award... and a notice from Tellwyrn that I've been added to some kind of Imperial watch list. Neat!" - Ruda , The Gods are Bastards.

Honestly, The Gods are Bastards is probably full of quotes that would be great for this thread, I'm just to lazy to go and find them.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow
    -Mark Twain

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Someday, my luck's going to run out. I'm going to end up dead in a ditch or bleeding out on some forsaken battlefield. But, unfortunately for you, that day is not today.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

*sung* "I think there is a god.
    I think he hates his jo-ob"

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm a pragmatist, but I love it when I can do things in style. I'm probably a monster, but I love the times I can be a hero. I'll do the necessary evils, but man am I waiting for those days when I do those necessary goods. I'll kill the villain, but when I find one that can be redeemed I'll redeem the hell out of him, literally if I have to. I'm many things, a survivor, a veteran, experienced, a killer....but what I want to be most is a savior. The world is more complex than heroes and villains, but even if I am the latter, doesn't mean I'll stop trying to be the former."
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "Give me a minute, I'll put reality back."
    Show
    Casually world breaking, with a hint of absent mindedness. Suitable for high level games or plot-device NPCs.
    Spoiler: "I have a theory that she simply reached a level of badassery that her body spontaneously became scared."
    Show
    This reminds me of a joke we made, that the son of Kratos had a scar because of genetics. But you know some characters just don't seem complete without a scar. The tough as nails ones usually.
    Spoiler: "Don't worry, your boy is fine. Speaking of which, before you start attacking me to get him back, could we move to a room further away from him? I just managed to get the little guy to fall asleep."
    Show
    ... That is a surprisingly considerate kidnapper. Almost sounds like a caretaker. A redeeming trait on a villain? A misunderstood hero?
    Spoiler: "Hint, when you are trying to convince someone to trust you, you probably shouldn't mention your a demon." "And when they find out later?"
    Show
    Redeeming yourself is one thing, but proving that to other people can be hard. Sort of a racial metaphor, although it could mean a variety of things, including itself.
    Spoiler: "Why are you carrying a teaspoon?" "If I ever come across something invincible again... well last time I managed it with a kitchen knife so I'm looking for a challenge."
    Show
    Do I have to explain? Well I got a ridiculously powerful mundane warrior who has fun with their work out of that.
    I'm also going to throw in a link to a tread with some songs you could build a character off of. I find them to not be as a good base, but many are good listening.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

This is a two ton steel cylinder. When launched it travels at 1.5% the speed of light. I don't care that the aliens are godlike. It WILL make an ungodly mess of them.
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

"You can't deny your fate. I'm already here."
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Killing you won't bring my childhood back. I understand that. But if it means sparing another child my pain, then I will gladly melt the fur right off your face.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Psycho: you have a face! lets see how many punches it takes for it to stop resembling one!

as he rode his motorcycle down the throat of the huge dragon revving his chainsaw, he thought to himself: is today wednesday, it feels like one.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Honestly, The Gods are Bastards is probably full of quotes that would be great for this thread, I'm just to lazy to go and find them.
    Yes it is, in fact... well I had to skip my usual quote by quote analysis. I'm just starting book 6 now.
    Spoiler: The Gods are Bastards
    Show
    "Very little in this world is fair, Ms. Avelea," he replied. For the first time, the cheer had fled his face, leaving a sober and faraway expression. "May you have better luck than I’ve had finding remedies for it."

"Sir, I believe I have spoken to you about throwing logic around when I’m being melodramatic."

"'Normal,' Mr. Arquin, is a word you will find has little bearing on this campus and none whatsoever on your history professor."

"Butts in seats; we’re here to learn. Anybody who wants to hear me wax poetical about how awesome I am, my office hours are clearly posted."

"I wish you could have seen those big puppy eyes he does so well. I’d show you, but I can’t really pull it off. I’m told it makes me look homicidally insane."

"For future reference, Miss Punaji, if you must pick a fight with a Sister of Avei, go for one of the older ones. They’ve been training long enough to neutralize you harmlessly."

"What the gods do and do not know is a matter best not speculated on. Of course," he admitted with a grin, "we do anyway."

A dead silence fell, the three of them staring at him. The Bishop spread his arms in a gesture of benediction, smiling beatifically. "No one is born a priest, gentlemen."

"As I said, the Guild doesn’t kill lightly. Ideally, not ever, but we’re not exactly idealists here."

"I’ll try anything twice. You know, cos nobody ever does something right the first time."

"The world is perfect. It’s exactly what it was meant to be, whatever that is. If it seems wrong…maybe you’re expecting something from it that it was never designed to give."

"Admestus, what are you drinking?"
    "Corn syrup! We got the most marvelous fresh elven corn from the Sea, and I do hate to waste good reagents."
    Yornhaldt shook his head and sighed.
    "What in the world is wrong with you?" Tellwyrn demanded.
    "Corn syrup deficiency! Don’t worry, I've got it under control.'

"Professor," Sanders said in the tone of a man clinging to his calm by sheer bloody stubbornness, "what, exactly, would you estimate are the odds of the Mother of Demons showing up in my town in the near future?"

"Oh, that? Wasn’t my idea. Some asshat assassin or thief or something broke into my father’s fortress, and just happened to come in through my window. Punaji kids sleep with knives under their pillows. ****er got blood on my teddy bear." She scowled. "I'm still pissed about that."

"It's not for us to decide what a life is worth, [we] have to be better"

"I like the world. It’s where I keep most of my stuff."

"Persistence pays off," Shaeine said serenely. "In a mere ten years we have worn down virtually all the forest tribes from attacking us on sight to permitting our emissaries to approach. They still refuse to conduct any official correspondence,"

"She’s right. She usually is; it’s infuriating."

"Gentlemen," said the Kid. "Draw."

"What is ice cream?" "Somethin’ I’m gonna import to Tiraas and become richer than Verniselle,"

"You are the living incarnation of the term 'pain in the ass.' "

"You wouldn’t believe me if I told you." "Yes, I expected that much. You’ll note that I asked you anyway."

"But you could have anything. Infinite money. Weapons. Magical artifacts, basically unlimited power if you used that box right. And… You keep your candy stash in it."

"Stylish? Stylish? You are the only person in this century who wears a cloak!" "Well, yeah! What did you think ‘stylish’ meant?"

"How do you always know?" "Sir, it’s me, Price," she said, deadpan.

"I would never take advantage of a lady caught in an uncomfortable situation." "Bucko, I think what’s at issue here is the lady will take advantage of you." "Yes." He nodded emphatically. "And I am perfectly okay with that."

5-11
    Toman Panissar liked things simple, and in this he was usually thwarted.

"Splendid. There’ll be no end of paperwork if I disembowel him in public."

To his very great credit, Bishop Darling was attending to the Colonel’s recitation of his service in the Stalnar Rebellion without glazing over or nodding off.

"I’m so glad when we get to talk outside of work," Panissar grumbled. "I'm mostly spared your sense of humor at council meetings."

"I’m sorry, miss, I don’t know the formal customs of your people." "We don’t really have any,"

"Your Highness, I do everything shamelessly,"

"I’m sorry, but… You just called Toman Panissar a bureaucrat. If you knew the man at all, General, you’d realize just what a grand joke that is."

"I think he will treat us respectfully. I am not, however, comfortable broadly describing the man as trustworthy."

"I understand you like to throw a lot of frivolous parties."
    "Why, yes I do!" Vandro said, beaming. "Some of the best and most frivolous people in the province put in appearances at my little shindigs,"

"Why am I always the one who gets hurt?! This is getting ridiculous! I’m supposed to be invulnerable, but noooo. Everybody has to take their turn finding a loophole."

"Politics. If anything, it makes the Empire look bad that I was placed in danger because of misbehaving Imperial troops. So I have to have brunch at the Palace."

"Believe me, I campaigned to be called Glittergiggles Weaver, but for some reason they stuck me with Gravestone. Go figure."

"...significantly boosted its operational range and spell penetration by way of amping up the power source to ridiculous, even dangerous levels!"

"You were asking me why I became an educator?" Tellwyrn said, turning to Zanzayed. "It's because the world is full of morons."

"Go on, you can say it. An 'I told you so' here and there isn’t a violation of your contract." "That will not be necessary, sir, as you clearly recall that I did."

"You shoulda seen their faces when we all popped in," Billie said, grinning. "Someday I wanna do that again when I don't have a partner bleeding to death on the floor so I can properly enjoy it."

"I don’t must, strictly speaking. It’s mostly just for my amusement."

"I love killing assassins. They appreciate the irony so much better than average shmoes."

Trouble didn’t tend to stick to Gabriel long enough to get serious, but it still fell his way even more often than he deserved. Which was saying something.

"Yes," Ampophrenon noted, raising an eyebrow, "remarkable the effect a few thousand years of determined frivolity can have on one's reputation."

"Three reasons," Professor Tellwyrn said brightly. "It’s the most efficient way to get around, it serves the purpose of protecting the surprise, and your suffering amuses me. Note, Arquin, that that was not a plural 'your.' Nobody else suffers with quite the distinctive self-pity you have. It’s inspiring, really." "I hate you." "I don't care,"

"She doesn’t mind being yelled at, cursed at or even threatened—convenient, as she has a tendency to inspire those responses in people."

"Why is it," Gabriel asked after a moment’s silence, "that wherever we go, we end up in some kind of bar?"

15. - Top - End - #645
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Take Me to the brig, I want to meet the real marines"
    -Chesty Puller.

"Son when the Corps wants you to have a wife, You will be issued one"
    -Chesty Puller.
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    "I'm a pragmatist, but I love it when I can do things in style. I'm probably a monster, but I love the times I can be a hero. I'll do the necessary evils, but man am I waiting for those days when I do those necessary goods. I'll kill the villain, but when I find one that can be redeemed I'll redeem the hell out of him, literally if I have to. I'm many things, a survivor, a veteran, experienced, a killer....but what I want to be most is a savior. The world is more complex than heroes and villains, but even if I am the latter, doesn't mean I'll stop trying to be the former."
    what is this from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Remember kids: a good thief can steal everything that isn't nailed down, on fire, part of the building, or trying to kill them. Skilled adventurers have been known to leave behind far less that that.
    LGBTitP
    Universal Decay by Deamoneye Publishing
    Dungeons the Dragoning 40k 7.5th edition by Lawful Nice

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

"Striving for the impossible does not mean struggling in vain."

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the OOD View Post
    what is this from?
    Nothing, I just come up with it. What? quotes doesn't mean it has to come from something that exists and I like to spice things up with things that could be quotes to build around anyways.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

19. - Top - End - #649
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

What need have I of silver with sweet Yfandis here?
    When All the gold I cherish Is sunlight bright and clear?
    The only Jewel I treasure's a bright and shining star,
    and I'll protect all helpless not just those of Valdemar
    For beauty held in bondage is beauty that is lost
    and land and title bloodbought comes too high at the cost
    the power I have already, and power tis a jade
    So turn you back Lord Nedran if of me you are afraid

- From the song Demonsbane, Heather Alexander.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Nothing, I just come up with it. What? quotes doesn't mean it has to come from something that exists and I like to spice things up with things that could be quotes to build around anyways.
    no complaints, it was interesting enough that I wanted to read whatever source it came from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Remember kids: a good thief can steal everything that isn't nailed down, on fire, part of the building, or trying to kill them. Skilled adventurers have been known to leave behind far less that that.
    LGBTitP
    Universal Decay by Deamoneye Publishing
    Dungeons the Dragoning 40k 7.5th edition by Lawful Nice

21. - Top - End - #651
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "The thing is, the plans that have gotten me into legend start with 'this is stupid, this is stupid' and end with 'Hu... wasn't expecting that to work'."
    Show
    Someone who managed to make all the right correct gambles, despite knowing that they are extremely risky and perhaps even foolish. Smart enough to work there way out of a bad situation, maybe not smart enough to avoid getting into it. And lucky if you can encode that in whatever system your using.
    Spoiler: "Nice to meet you. I'm an assassin."
    Show
    -Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

Not a very good assassin, I'll tell you that much. Seems a little too friendly. Alternatively an assassin that is good enough that they can be friendly and state that they are an assassin.
    Spoiler: "The nausea should pass in a moment." "Uh... That's good, I guess--" "It will be replaced by nearly unbearable agony."
    Show
    -Panthera

A very deadpan doctor, perhaps to the point of apathy.
    Spoiler: "Love is it being worth all the tears."
    Show
    A hopeful or romantic character who has been through a lot of bad stuff.

And a bonus challenge, see what you can do with:
    Your wearing a gray shirt. Everything about that is wrong.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

"I would like to buy fifty thousand chickens."
    *later, when an enemy is supposed to deal damage*
    "I block it with a chicken"
    This space was empty, but now it's not.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

I am not a good man. Do not follow my example. I kill. I lie. I steal. I cheat. I have no honor. I am a monster in both the literal and figurative sense. I am bound to things which man ought not bind himself to, and have sworn conflicting oaths to multiple dieties. I have done all of this for power. Not in a pollitical sense but in a literal one. Demons have fled from me, I have felled a Colossus of the Void in single combat, and I have recently purchased a beer. It sits on the bar behind you, the small town ruffian, who dares to stand in front of me. Several things are about to happen. You will return the child you are holding to the floor, gently. You will apologise. You will leave. In your haste you will forget your purse, it's contents will become this child's. Then I will drink my beer. Do. No. Persuade. Me. To. Come. Up. With. An. Alternative. It would be less pleasent.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

"When I feel sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Rakan

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #655
    Troll in the Playground

To eru001: I was not expecting the quote to end like that. I'm glad it did.

To HalfTangible: I saw a version of that quote on a demotivational poster one. It had a fighter jet on it.

Spoiler: "Further harm's always necessary."
    Show
    -Unsounded

You have a problem? Solve it with violence. You solved a problem? Use violence to make sure it stays solved. You don't have a problem? Use violence to improve the situation. This is almost getting into cartoon evil here, but a evil ruler might make it work.
    Spoiler: "You're... actually green." "Green is a perfectly healthy colour."
    Show
    -Soul Bound

I wonder it the second line was delivered defensively, so they feel out of place; accusatorily, yes you racist; or confused, why wouldn't my skin be green. You can get different characters out of each.

You can also get a character out of the first line, but really only someone who has not met someone with green skin before.
    Spoiler: {To Security} "Mister? My brother made me steal this, but it was just for training so you can have it back now."
    Show
    -Kind of Confidential

Well, someone who is being trained to steal things by a sibling. But also far too naive about it. Maybe they just don't quite understand the line, having grown up around it.
    Spoiler: There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.
    Show
    -Proverb

A gentle wise man (as in of mankind) who sails the seas and often travels at night.
    Spoiler: "You're not going to smash through the window!?" "Of course not." {Pops the window out of its frame.} "Hold this."
    Show
    Considering the smashing the window was the expectation, there seems to be some kind of crazy here. But it seems to be a kind of restrained crazy. Or perhaps directed, a method to the madness.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Where ever I may roam. Where I lay my head is home. Carved upon my stone: "My body lies, yet still I roam." ~Metallica

I'm not sure if songs are to be counted, but... Undead ranger for the win!

27. - Top - End - #657
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Half gods are worshiped in wine and flowers. Real gods require blood.”
    - Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Were Watching God

28. - Top - End - #658
    Troll in the Playground

It's been a while, so...

"I have resolved never to start an unjust war but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies"- King Charles XIII of Sweden

A good one for a paladin or good aligned fighter.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

it is moraly wrong to start a fight. It is also moraly wrong to lose one. Never be the man to throw the first punch, but be certain to break the other man's jaw with the second.
    Last edited by eru001; 2017-04-06 at 10:31 AM.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Always be last to draw and last to strike.
    This space was empty, but now it's not.