New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

I have honor and glory, they are my horses.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Barbarian in the Playground

1)I know what I am talking about when I am talking about the revolutions. The people who read the books go to the people who can't read the books, the poor people, and say, "We have to have a change." So, the poor people make the change, ah? And then, the people who read the books, they all sit around the big polished tables, and they talk and talk and talk and eat and eat and eat, eh? But what has happened to the poor people? They're dead! That's your revolution. Shhh... So, please, don't tell me about revolutions! And what happens afterwards? The same ****ing thing starts all over again!

2)Where there's revolution there's confusion, and when there's confusion, a man who knows what he wants stands a good chance of getting it.

3)John H. Mallory: Where are you going, for Christ's sake?
    Juan Miranda: I don't know. I don't know, but something's wrong. I went into the bank. But when I go in the bank, there's nothing there, no money, nothing.
    John H. Mallory: Oh, well, the bank and the money were transferred to Mexico City over a month ago. Well, they've been using this place for a political prison ever since.
    Juan Miranda: What? What do you mean a political prison?
    John H. Mallory: Well, I never said a thing about money. All I asked you was if you wanted to get inside.
    Juan Miranda: But you know that this bank is my life! This is my dream!
    John H. Mallory: Well, the reality of that is you just liberated 150 patriots through sheer courage in the face of danger.
    John H. Mallory: [chuckles]
    John H. Mallory: Ah yes, you're a grand hero of the revolution, now. Viva Miranda.
    Juan Miranda: [the crowd lifts Miranda on its shoulders] I don't want to be a hero! All I want is the money! The money!
    John H. Mallory: Viva Miranda!
    Juan Miranda: You taught me one thing!
    John H. Mallory: What?
    Juan Miranda: [gives Mallory the finger] How to get ****ed!

4) the difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.
    Last edited by FabulousFizban; 2017-11-05 at 06:39 PM.
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

3. - Top - End - #723
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Ladies and gentlemen stand back. I'm about to give a mouse a cookie.

I'd say the fog monster is a clear and present danger, but while it is very present, nothing is clear anymore. Seriously guys, it's pea soup out here.

Turn signal? Blasphemy I say.
    Last edited by eru001; 2017-11-09 at 10:01 PM.
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

Such a burst of quotes, and some pretty good ones too, thanks everyone.

Spoiler: "**** I'm surrounded by optimists."
    Show
    -Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

A pessimist who just wants to naysay in piece.
    Spoiler: "It didn't take long for that girl to forget she had seen two children walk through a wall. When your raised to believe that the impossible is, in fact, impossible, the world is a far less colourful place."
    Show
    -Blindsprings: Hover Text

"I see so many colours you wouldn't believe!" Although this is a great quote that explains how magic can hide away in a world of science, if you are trying to get a single crazy who does believe in extra colours. Which is kind of a reversal but I think it works.
    Spoiler: "Every great person has a much more organized moral compass by their side."
    Show

The voice of reason in the group, not the one who leads, but pulls the leader back when they are about to head off in a bad direction. The voice of sober second thought.
    Spoiler: "It is called revenge and it's very healthy."
    Show
    -Boyfriend of the Dead

Who ever this is: don't get on their bad side.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I never cared about justice, and I don't remember ever calling myself a hero. I have always only fought for the people I believe in. I won't hesitate...if an enemy appears in front of me, I will destroy it!"
    -Zero, Maga Man Zero 4.

Sounds good, perhaps ironically, for a vengeance paladin.
    Last edited by NovenFromTheSun; 2017-11-22 at 01:00 AM.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "Tamaura is one of those optimistic girls who consider magic explosions to be unfortunate but not a deal breaker."
    Show

Hey, if it happens it happens. We can clean up the mess later, but for now if that is what it take, I'm sure we can fix it.
    Spoiler: "Ah, mischief. The best criminal charge."
    Show

And one that I feel hits a good point for some wrong side of the law. Not anything despicable, but enough that the powers that be (and some bystanders) are none too happy with it.
    Spoiler: "Do I have to be a hero? Do I have to be a villain? Can't I just be me."
    Show
    I feel this person has person has had a lot of expectations, good and bad, forced on them. And they want none of it.
    Spoiler: "All that work and we ended up where we started." "... So we can try again?"
    Show
    An optimist who actually might not know the meaning of "give up".

7. - Top - End - #727

RogueGuy

unarmed men make the best targets - a bandit.
    I think his plan is to convince everyone he is not a ninja by screaming he is a ninja and wearing day glow orange, the problem is i think it might actually be working - don't remember who, in reference to a certain noisy character.
    everything is going according to plaaaaaaaugh!!! - last word of a mad scientist.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Troll in the Playground

"Honor's dead. But I'll see what I can do."
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure I'm defeating you with the power of love and friendship. I know, its cheesy. But let me ask you this: WHATS SO POWERFUL ABOUT BEING HATED AND ALONE AGAIN?"

"Yes I'm the moral compass of everyone and did this whole messianic save the universe from a tyrant thing, yes I just blew up a hundred robots because they asked to be destroyed and it was fun. Whaaaaaat? they were asking for it. Literally."

"I can respect a man whose first thought upon being defeated is to ensure the safety of his son, rest assured I will not harm him."
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"Being evil would be a hassle. Heroes always coming to try to stop you. If not them, the guards. But being a hero? This way I get to hunt down bad guys, and guards sometimes buy me drinks. Much better."

11. - Top - End - #731

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    "Honor's dead. But I'll see what I can do."
    Assuming you are the Sharder who created that picture, I am the same Personification who commented on it on the 17th Shard, if not, shrug. Anyways....

Spoiler: (OB) Oathbringer Quote (moderate spoilers)
    Show
    “Were you … thinkin’ you’d fight them all on your own?” Lift said. “With a book?” “There is someone else for me to fight here.” “… With a book?” “Yes.” She shook her head. “Sure, all right. Why not? What do you want me to do?”

“Do you have a weapon?” he asked.

“Nope. Can’t read.” “Can’t…” Dalinar looked down at his book. “I meant a real weapon, Lift.”
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

12. - Top - End - #732
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Comedy is a dead art. But tragedy, that's funny"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

13. - Top - End - #733
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

We will defend our Island, we will fight them on the beaches, we will fight them on the landing grounds, we will fight them in the streets, we will fight them in the hills and we will never surrender.

-Winston Churchill.
    Last edited by eru001; 2017-12-21 at 03:36 PM.
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

14. - Top - End - #734

Your Song by Elton John, half elf Bard with proficiency in potters tools and alchemists tools.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

15. - Top - End - #735
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

A good plan violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.

George Patton

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, someone else rescued this off of the later pages. Also random question, does anybody read (and hopefully enjoy) the extra comments. A recent conversation about things standing on their own has got me wondering about value added.

Spoiler: Business, business business, casual rocket launcher.
    Show
    Someone business-like who quickly and easily resorts to overwhelming force when violence is required.
    Spoiler: {In response to getting a picture of giant tree that just appeared} "No one is going to be like, "Hmm, which enormous tree are they talking about?" if we don't have a photo."
    Show
    -Blindsprings

Well someone seems to be more frustrated than wowed by recent events. I mean fear is the other "normal" reaction, but this isn't that either, this is "Why did there have to be a car crash on my way home today of all days?" level there might be a problem but I don't want to have to deal with it. Maybe a little bit selfish then? Still, you know if they are a PC, they are going to get wrapped up into it anyways.
    Spoiler: "Loud, proud and about to explode."
    Show
    Someone who voices their thoughts at the top of the lungs and acts on them quickly. The "proud" and "explode" might give a hint about the type of thoughts they have.
    Spoiler: "I'm just the secretary. Hand me that ammo box."
    Show
    My guess is the secretary is also security.
    Spoiler: "Well I have an eye for detail, an incredible amount of patience, pretty good hearing, inhuman strength and speed, I am trained in breaking and entering, am an accomplished fencer, I can target anything with a beating heart with near perfect-" "OK, these skills are getting weirder and less and less relevant to work in the janitorial service."
    Show
    That is some kind of superhuman (or supernatural) assassin who wants work in the janitorial service of all things. Maybe business isn't doing so hot, or maybe it is getting too hot right now. Maybe they got tired of the whole killing people thing. Still a janitor, I feel there is an extra bit to the story why they are working there, but I'm not sure from this what it is.
    Spoiler: "I rigged up dis hologram robot-thing o' my bad self to sit at my desk an' give da same vise-crackin' answers I usually do." "Does it work?"' "It spends most of its time in da principle's office, so I guess so."
    Show
    -PS238

A troublemaker gadgetteer from, well anywhere they speak slightly differently would follow the idea of the accent. Also young, note the principle's office instead of the boss's office or the police station.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Dwarf in the Playground

"What is the penalty for rebellion?"

"Death."

"And what is the penalty for being late?"

"Death."

"Gentleman, we are late."
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "Let's get ourselves killed figuring it out! It'll be fun!" "That's the sprit." "grMRGhlemrfrngrlmGAH"
    Show
    -PS238

Optimism! To the very end! The end of ally's sanity at the very least.
    Spoiler: "The fire department is getting tired of anonymous calls to visit your house."
    Show
    -PS238

Someone who is has a habit of doing things they shouldn't be doing (hence the anonymous calls), that set things on fire and doesn't bother to go outside. So responsibility is not a strong point. Or foresight or reliability? It hints as some initiative at the very least.
    Spoiler: "How did you achieve that?" "Magic." "My fault for asking."
    Show
    -Use Sword on Monster

Some times just accepting the hand wave goes over better if it is beyond even the characters. So have a character who doesn't even pretend to understand. That is just one trait, but it is something.
    Spoiler: "Its just a tattoo with an unusual design." "Its glowing." "That is your imagination."
    Show
    They have some sort of special tattoo and are not very good cover-ups.
    Spoiler: "You need adult supervision." "Someone say my name?"
    Show
    -Power Ballad

The voice of reason in the group, allowing just enough crazy to get things done, but more often reigning it in before things get out of hand.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

No captain can do very wrong who brings his ship alongside that of the enemy to engage him.
    -Horatio Nelson

When lacking for orders, go to the enemy and find something to kill.
    -Erich von Manstien

There is but one standing order in my command, attack the enemy at all times and in all available ways.
    -George S. Patton

The enemy is there, and there we shall fight him.
    -Robert E. Lee

The first time I ever saw a jet aircraft I shot it down
    -Chuck Yeager

I have not yet begun to fight
    -John Paul Jones

20. - Top - End - #740

HalflingRogueGirl

"Actually, the only thing I'm wondering is how quickly this will be over. My guess? Two minutes.

But then...I always was a pessimist."
    Last edited by Hellpyre; 2018-01-15 at 10:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

That which does not kill me has made a tactical error.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "They say the greatest fools are also the most wise. But not me as much. Still I can say what others won't because off..." "Dignity? Common sense?" "Either."
    Show
    Sometimes the fool is actually a fool. But that doesn't mean they can't help out, even when it comes to the areas usually reserved for the wise.
    Spoiler: "So why did you help me?" "Because it was the most productive thing I've done today."
    Show
    This one might just save the world because they were bored. I suppose that might be an explanation for an normal getting involved in saving the world. Although there is this odd line you would have to walk between a boring or unproductive life and having some skills to help save the world.
    Spoiler: "I am acquainted with all stories from this world and others as they form the tableau of what you quaintly call 'reality.' The dreams of all sentient beings come together to shape what we see when we walk apart from the realms of sleep, and the whimsical novels of which we speak give their small contribution to making whole that which we perceive as the universe." {Pause.} ""I know what Hogwarts is" would have been sufficient." "But not nearly as illuminating."
    Show
    -PS238

The unnecessary philosopher, it might be hard to do in live play, and it might be easy to overdo if you could, but I like the idea of a character who can just go on about... the fabric of reality and dreams. Or any strange topic really.
    Spoiler: "I sometimes think access to cash is the greatest superpower of all."
    Show
    -PS238

I did that once, focused on social skills and then put every point I could into starting wealth. But the end of the first session I was the quest giver, most of the PCs (and a number of NPCs) were working for my character. Of course they got most of the glory thereafter, but it was a lot of fun.
    Spoiler: "What's normal?"
    Show
    -PS238

That is a very good question. Especially for any character buried in some strange hidden world. Or a philosophic oddball.
    Spoiler: "Heads up everyone, if you have ever wondered what a bird-bat-lizard thing doing Kung-Fu looks like, you are about to find out."
    Show
    This raises some questions about how a not-very-humanoid-sounding creature manages to use forms and techniques designed for a humanoid body. Perhaps they returned to the animal inspirations of some styles. Either way, I suppose if we could watch to find out.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always be in the right; but our country, right or wrong.

-Stephen Decatur

24. - Top - End - #744
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Let me make one thing clear. If I decide to kill you, you'll know, you'll be facing me, and you will be armed.

Malcom Reynolds

25. - Top - End - #745
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

I will not be moved until this battle is decided. Fetch me a tourniquet before I bleed to death.

General Hancock, Union commander at the stone wall defending against Pickett's Charge

26. - Top - End - #746
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Is this the Region, this the Soil, the Clime,
    Said then the lost Arch-Angel, this the seat
    That we must change for Heav’n, this mournful gloom
    For that celestial light? Be it so, since he
    Who now is Sovran can dispose and bid
    What shall be right: fardest from him is best
    Whom reason hath equald, force hath made supream
    Above his equals. Farewel happy Fields
    Where Joy for ever dwells: Hail horrours, hail
    Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell
    Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
    A mind not to be chang’d by Place or Time.
    The mind is its own place, and in it self
    Can make a Heav’n of Hell, a Hell of Heav’n.
    What matter where, if I be still the same,
    And what I should be, all but less then he
    Whom Thunder hath made greater? Here at least
    We shall be free; th’ Almighty hath not built
    Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
    Here we may reign secure, and in my choyce
    To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
    Better to reign in Hell, then serve in Heav’n.
    Paradise Lost - John Milton

C'est pire qu'un crime, c'est une faute
    Joseph Fouché (Minister of Police and/or the Interior under diverse French regimes after the French Revolution)
    (Transl.: "It's worse than a crime, it's a mistake." - What is meant is a political mistake)

Les Girondins tombent, Fouché reste ; Les Jacobins sont traqués, Fouché reste ; le Directoire, le Consulat, l'Empire, la Royauté et encore l'Empire disparaissent et s'effondrent ; mais lui reste toujours debout, lui seul, Fouché, grâce à sa réserve subtile et l'audace qu'il a d'être absolument dépourvu de tout caractère et de pratiquer un manque complet de conviction.
    Transl: "The Girondins fall, Fouché remains. The Jacobins are persecuted, Fouché remains; the Directory, the Consulate, the Empire, the Royalty and again the Empire disappear and fall apart; but always he remains standing, he alone, Fouché, thanks to his subtle reserve and the audacity of having absolutely no character and practicing an total lack of conviction."

Quotes of Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand:
    On peut violer les lois sans qu'elles crient.
    (Transl.: "One can violate/rape the laws without them crying.")

Le meilleur moyen de renverser un gouvernement, c'est d'en faire partie.
    (Transl.: "The best way to overthrow a government is to be part of it.")

La parole a été donnée à l’homme pour déguiser sa pensée.
    (Transl.: "Men has been given speech to disguise his thoughts.")

Les mécontents, ce sont des pauvres qui réfléchissent.
    (Transl.: "Malcontents are poor people that think.")

Soyez à leurs pieds. A leurs genoux... Mais jamais dans leur mains.
    (Transl.: "Be at their feet, at their knees... But never in their hands.")

En politique, ce qui est cru devient plus important que ce qui est vrai.
    (Transl.: "In politics, what is believed becomes more important than what is true.")

27. - Top - End - #747
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
    That here, obediant to their words we lie.

-Inscription at Thermopylae

28. - Top - End - #748

RogueGuy

There is no such thing as overkill. never. ever.
    I had part of a slinky once, I straightened it.
    it says something about me that of all the burning buildings i have been in over the years, only two were not burned down by me.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Troll in the Playground

It is nice when I'm not going every other post (or that is how it feels sometimes).

Spoiler: "My belief has a sense of drama, shut up!"
    Show
    -Use Sword on Monster

A dramatic sort of cleric, they seem to be a little bit offended that they have to explain that. Maybe they come off kind of dry but aren't?
    Spoiler: "Understanding is a three-edged sword. Your side, my side, and the truth."
    Show
    -J. Michael Straczynski

Always searching, every fact, story and opinion brings us closer but never quite too the truth behind it all. Sounds more like a wise quest-giver than your average PC, but I think you could make it work.
    Spoiler: "So why did you help me?" "Because it was the most productive thing I've done today."
    Show
    This one might just save the world because they were bored. I suppose that might be an explanation for an normal getting involved in saving the world. Although there is this odd line you would have to walk between a boring or unproductive life and having some skills to help save the world. Why would the former give the later? Maybe they have unconventional hero skills, maybe they get by with dedication, maybe they had a few interesting hobbies.
    Spoiler: "I sometimes think access to cash is the greatest superpower of all."
    Show
    -PS238

I did that once, focused on social skills and then put every point I could into starting wealth. But the end of the first session I was the quest giver, most of the PCs (and a number of NPCs) were working for my character. Of course they got most of the glory thereafter, but it was a lot of fun.

It wasn't a superhero setting though.
    Spoiler: "One does not need to carry a weapon if one is fast enough to run away."
    Show
    -Nothing Special

Yeah, fighting is for slow-pokes. At this level it isn't even fear, it is just avoidance of violence through distance as a philosophy. Or maybe it is fear, but I like the idea of a character who would rather run than fight if given the choice, while being capable of both.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Men hoeft niet te hopen om iets te ondernemen, noch te slagen om te volharden.
    Transl.: "One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere."