New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

Spoiler: "Does Jerian ever talk about her?" "Jerian does not talk about anything." "I suppose that's true..."
    Show
    -Silver

I like this as a descriptions of the of few words archetype. That can be hard to do well in a role playing game unless you are really good at communicating body language. Or spend a lot of time on your phone. Either way.

The next two not actually from the songs I quoted. I feel the lines are representative of the songs but as far as I know, the lines to not actually appear in the lyrics.
    Spoiler: In this age of super boredom, sabotage and heresy.
    Show
    ~Megalomaniac

I actually already did this one. This quote became a loud, proud & playful (fight the super boredom) demolitionist (uses sabotage) who fought in a rebellion (secular heresy). But this got combined with "they are some much prettier when they are broken to make the example character you saw there.

Next I'm in an appropriate game, I might just use the combined character. Consider this an aside on combining quotes.
    Spoiler: We are all together on our own.
    Show
    ~Sacred Worlds

A member of a tight kit group that fights against, or has been abandoned by, the rest of the world. That group is probably going to have to be the party for things to work out. They are likely to have no shortage of enemies. They might still be fighting to save the world, maybe they are the only ones who see the big threat for what it is.

Spoiler: The good news is I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
    Show
    -Order of the Stick

Almost every group I have ever played in has had one of these anyways so... Still playing this deliberately would probably be fun, as long as you listened to the other characters enough not to get killed.
    Spoiler: I can wield the elements, see the secrets of the living and the dead and cross a nation in a day. I have called forth death, ridden upon the sky and bent the seasons to my will. Tell me O great king, how endless is your might.
    Show

Hello, I'm a theoretical optimization wizard. Nice to meat you.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    Spoiler: "Does Jerian ever talk about her?" "Jerian does not talk about anything." "I suppose that's true..."
    Show
    -Silver

I like this as a descriptions of the of few words archetype. That can be hard to do well in a role playing game unless you are really good at communicating body language. Or spend a lot of time on your phone. Either way.
    Better yet, an NPC.

Spoiler: I can wield the elements, see the secrets of the living and the dead and cross a nation in a day. I have called forth death, ridden upon the sky and bent the seasons to my will. Tell me O great king, how endless is your might.
    Show

Hello, I'm a theoretical optimization wizard. Nice to meat you.
    Spoiler: I shall cast...
    Show
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-02-27 at 10:47 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: The good news is I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
    Show
    -Order of the Stick

Almost every group I have ever played in has had one of these anyways so... Still playing this deliberately would probably be fun, as long as you listened to the other characters enough not to get killed.
    Otherwise we would have missed that joke. Although I didn't get in until I saw the word you bolded.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Why? Because I love my dad. Is that so hard to understand?"
    - For my Rogue right before she executes a prisoner. The game hasn't started yet, but I'll try to use that line. CN/CE, but this quote can work for a character of any alignment really. It's just more interesting for evil ones.

"I've heard it said that there is no greater love than to lay down you're life for a friend. I disagree. There's no greater love than sacrificing yourself for a bunch of fools and miscreants who wouldn't even bother to thank you for it if they had the chance."
    - For any good aligned character in a party of less than good aligned individuals.

"I don't care about winning in the end. What matters is doing what's right. You may well defeat me and crush me into dust. I will fight you none the same. "
    Can be for any good aligned character who's being taunted from by the bad guys, and being told that they have no hope of winning. The best response isn't to say that you think they're lying: It's to say that it doesn't matter if they're telling the truth. Preferably used when the pally sacrifices himself to prevent Orcus from incinerating a town, not when Orcus appears for the first time when the party is level 1 in order to set up a plot hook.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael7123 View Post
    "Why? Because I love my dad. Is that so hard to understand?"
    I'm pretty sure there's an opposite quote from someone who gets backstabbed by own family a lot, but I can't find it...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael7123 View Post
    - For any good aligned character in a party of less than good aligned individuals..
    For any snarky good aligned character, you mean

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

"In the name of Jesus, put the knife down" - The War Room

this one is great for a paladin or good-aligned cleric
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

... who is the friend of a murderhobo knife nut.

8. - Top - End - #98

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    For any snarky good aligned character, you mean
    I find that the quantity of good-aligned snark is directly proportional to the quantity of evil actions the party takes.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

@goto124, that's every character I play, even if it isn't a paladin or good aligned cleric

"Let's see how much blood's in ya" -Christian Brutal Sniper

any psychopath CE character, but especially a fighter (imo)
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

I am not a good man, nor am I a peaceful one. I have lived my life in pain, my own and that of others. I am a criminal and a ruffian. I am the monster whom your parents warned you of each evening when they tucked you into bed. I do not come into town often, I do not belong there. I live this life for one reason and one reason only. Out there, beyond those walls behind which you sleep each night are things much worse than me. I keep them there.
    -unknown

good for a neutral, or a good is not nice ranger I think
    Last edited by eru001; 2016-02-29 at 02:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
    — The United States Constitution, 14th Amendment

Any Lawful Good character

12. - Top - End - #102

Imp

Totally forgot about this one...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru. Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me. I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby ****, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet gone to college.

Slighty surreal, but funny.

"Why me?"
    -Story I wrote.

Put simply, he was the deadliest single individual in history.
    -TvTropes on Simo Hδyhδ

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    "Let's see how much blood's in ya" -Christian Brutal Sniper

any psychopath CE character, but especially a fighter (imo)
    Better yet, a blood mage!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

@belac93 what is the big quote from?

@goto124 that works too

15. - Top - End - #105

Imp

@ 8BitNinja. It was written by Hugh Gallagher as his college application essay. I'm not sure if he actually used it, but I do know that he got into college.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Belac93 View Post
    @ 8BitNinja. It was written by Hugh Gallagher as his college application essay. I'm not sure if he actually used it, but I do know that he got into college.
    Thanks for directing me there

Here's another one I like

"I fight for the men I've held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breaths. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find a country full of strangers wearing familiar faces! I fight for my people, impoverished to pay the debts of an Empire too weak to rule them, yet brands them criminals for wanting to rule themselves! I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing! I fight... because I must."
    —Ulfric Stormcloak, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

any good-aligned fighter

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

I don't do magic. I don't light things on fire with my brain, or collapse reality with a sudden sneezing fit. I have not, nor will I likely ever summon a demon accidentaly or on purpose. I don't talk to ghosts. I don't read minds. I don't summon monsters. When I want to talk to God I go to church and I don't expect a direct answer, and I certainly don't rip open portals to Hell so that tenticalled monstrosities fall out of the sky and claim to be Him. You sir do all of those things. I on the other hand, do exactly one thing. I! SHOOT! THINGS! WITH! MY! GUN! That's all I do and I am very good at it. In your mouth right now is the muzzle a submachinegun chambered in 9mm. You gloat because no weapon forged by man can kill you. I gloat because every single part of this weapon system is either stamped or milled. All of the bullets are cast. Make peace with your octopus. -BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG...

We fight not for glory for that is free. We fight for the best thing of all, we fight for XP.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

In matters of fashion swim with the current, in matters of principle stand like a rock.
    -Thomas Jefferson

No one ever won a war by dying for his country, he won the war by making the other guy die for his.
    - George Patton (the G rated version of the quote )

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eru001 View Post
    I don't do magic. I don't light things on fire with my brain, or collapse reality with a sudden sneezing fit. I have not, nor will I likely ever summon a demon accidentaly or on purpose. I don't talk to ghosts. I don't read minds. I don't summon monsters. When I want to talk to God I go to church and I don't expect a direct answer, and I certainly don't rip open portals to Hell so that tenticalled monstrosities fall out of the sky and claim to be Him. You sir do all of those things. I on the other hand, do exactly one thing. I! SHOOT! THINGS! WITH! MY! GUN! That's all I do and I am very good at it. In your mouth right now is the muzzle a submachinegun chambered in 9mm. You gloat because no weapon forged by man can kill you. I gloat because every single part of this weapon system is either stamped or milled. All of the bullets are cast. Make peace with your octopus. -BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG...
    Please tell me where this quote is from, I love it

19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"If you mess with my son, you don't get to walk away."

"I like ________"
    Player: I'm going to make a new character, I suck at bard.
    Me: Your only saying that because you died.
    Player: So?
    Me: Everyone dies when they do stupid stuff between two rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Your companion? The goblin you are using as ammunition.
    Surprise! You've got no legs!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    "Keep this up for too long, and no one will let you be the second mouse ever again." - Frustrated teammate, for some value of 'teammate'

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot Salty View Post
    "If you mess with my son, you don't get to walk away."
    There's a certain stereotype for "If you mess with my daughter, you don't get to walk away".
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-03-02 at 02:03 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

"I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before."- Burt Gummer,Tremors 2

Good one for a chaotic-anything trigger happy ranged fighter

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Please tell me where this quote is from, I love it

It's actually a campaign quote from a game a friend of mine DM'ed. The character was an 82nd Airborne trooper who due to magical shenanagins had been accidentaly summoned to a cthullu esque version of New York.

The game itself is called d20verse, it was written by a friend of mine and involves randomly selecting different universes for each party member to come from various fictional universes to team up on a wacky time hopping adventure.

Our party in this particular campaign was

WWII Paratrooper (the quote guy), a D&D Wizard, a Sanctioned Psyker from 40k, and a Metalbending soldier from Kuvira's army. They were over the course of the campaign trapped in Call of Cthullu New York where they had to fight a cult trying to summon one or more of the elder gods. As could be imagined, the paratrooper was rather freaked out by, well, everything and delivered that epic speech to the main villain shortly after delivering said villian a no holds barred beatdown, and immediately prior to blowing the main villian's head off with a Sten SMG.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

It's actually a campaign quote from a game a friend of mine DM'ed. The character was an 82nd Airborne trooper who due to magical shenanagins had been accidentaly summoned to a cthullu esque version of New York.

The game itself is called d20verse, it was written by a friend of mine and involves randomly selecting different universes for each party member to come from various fictional universes to team up on a wacky time hopping adventure.

Our party in this particular campaign was

WWII Paratrooper (the quote guy), a D&D Wizard, a Sanctioned Psyker from 40k, and a Metalbending soldier from Kuvira's army. They were over the course of the campaign trapped in Call of Cthullu New York where they had to fight a cult trying to summon one or more of the elder gods. As could be imagined, the paratrooper was rather freaked out by, well, everything and delivered that epic speech to the main villain shortly after delivering said villian a no holds barred beatdown, and immediately prior to blowing the main villian's head off with a Sten SMG.
    Your friend is a literary genius

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

"Come on, this crowd should be cheering YOUR name, not mine! Everyone loves the underdog!"

Best read as a completely genuine encouragement
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

"Hold your ground, hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the West!*" Aragorn - Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

I'm not sure what, I just think it's cool

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents, I've lead thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks, I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before, I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, killed many men, and loved only one woman, with a passion a flea like you could never begin to understand, that's who I am.

Hub McCann, Secondhand lions

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

"Mr. Mackey: They aren't going to get you, Craig! You're not getting out of detention!

Craig Tucker: I'll be out of here in ten minutes."
    South Park: The Stick of Truth

This is a good one for a rogue

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

I hold in my hands both war and peace. Choose well, for I care not what is had.
    -Rome's ambassador to Carthage prior to the 2nd Punic War

If I had a quarter for every time someone has tried to hold me for ransom, I might actually be able to pay some of those ransoms
    -anonymous

I am a Marine, and this is my rifle. So long as we are together, the war aint lost.
    -Marine reservist Red Dawn.

They claim our possessions the pitiful knaves, but the tribute we pay shall be bullets and graves
    -ballad of the Green Mountain Boys

Violence is never the answer, violence is the question. the answer is yes.
    -anonymous

You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.
    -Al Capone

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

"Every man has a job to do
    And my job is doing good.
    Every night when the job is through
    I fold my tights, proud to know I've done all I could.
    It's a satisfying feeling when you hang up your cape
    To know that you've averted murder, larceny and rape."
    —It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman, "Doing Good"

Another any good aligned character

30. - Top - End - #120

"My whims are laws to all but myself."

"Every romance is ruined when you try to make it last forever."

"Sin is the only colour left in life."

"I can sympathize with everything except suffering."

"The people who love only once in their lives are the shallow people. What they call their loyalty, and their fidelity, I call either lethargy of custom or their lack of imagination."

"Some say beauty is superficial, and perhaps it is. But it is not so superficial as thought is."

"I represent to you all the evil you have never had the courage to commit."

"One can always be kind to people about whom one cares nothing."
    Last edited by Rakoa; 2016-03-05 at 03:58 PM.