New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

Quote Originally Posted by eru001 View Post
    A King, The Wealthiest merchant in Venice, the Pope, and a common soldier with a sword are locked in the room. From outside comes the order, "two men may leave the others must be killed". Who leaves the room?
    "The merchant and the king, because that is the best chance for stability. The soldier would rather kill himself than turn on his king, and if the Pope dies he will be replaced quickly in a council. If the King dies, his sons will wage civil war for his throne; if the merchant dies, he will leave a massive power vacuum in Venice. Furthermore, while it's true that the soldier is the one with the power in that room, sooner or later he will have to leave it and deal with the consequences of murdering two men of such power as a king, a pope, and the wealthiest merchant in Venice."

Lawful Neutral character
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

'In the end, death tricks us all'
    Tricksters at death events in King of Dragon Pass
    For somewhat melancholy chaotics.

Any version of 'to be a pilgrim' for paladins and clerics, or general faithful characters.

'I'm a pessimist so things always turn out better than I hoped'
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Played as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close to the sun

Played as the Duenem in Empire 5. Ordered a God to stand down, and kept a contingency ready...

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    "The merchant and the king, because that is the best chance for stability. The soldier would rather kill himself than turn on his king, and if the Pope dies he will be replaced quickly in a council. If the King dies, his sons will wage civil war for his throne; if the merchant dies, he will leave a massive power vacuum in Venice. Furthermore, while it's true that the soldier is the one with the power in that room, sooner or later he will have to leave it and deal with the consequences of murdering two men of such power as a king, a pope, and the wealthiest merchant in Venice."

Lawful Neutral character
    Nice job manipulating the quote
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post

Lawful Neutral character
    by that logic it should be the king and the soldier. For the soldier esteems the king most. The pope as you say, would be replaced. and the resulting power vacuum in Venice will make that particular city much more easier for the king to seize. this is of course assuming that the soldier esteems the king.

Suppose he doesn't like the king?

entirely possible that he immediately stares down the king and shouts "I NEVER LIKED YOU ANYWAY!" prior to cutting him down

also wouldn't the soldier killing himself to preserve stability be more of a lawful good than lawful neutral? Self sacrifice for the benefit of others is kind of good's shtick.

and in the name of putting the thread back on the rails.

"The best of intentions? Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best of intentions."
    -Dr Grant. Jurassic Park 3
    Last edited by eru001; 2016-04-29 at 12:43 AM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

by that logic it should be the king and the soldier. For the soldier esteems the king most. The pope as you say, would be replaced. and the resulting power vacuum in Venice will make that particular city much more easier for the king to seize. this is of course assuming that the soldier esteems the king.
    I presumed that Venice was already under the king's control or about to enter an alliance with him, else why would they all be in the same room? Same reason I presumed that the soldier was the king's.

Suppose he doesn't like the king?

entirely possible that he immediately stares down the king and shouts "I NEVER LIKED YOU ANYWAY!" prior to cutting him down

also wouldn't the soldier killing himself to preserve stability be more of a lawful good than lawful neutral? Self sacrifice for the benefit of others is kind of good's shtick.
    THE SOLDIER ISN'T THE GUY PRESENTING THE QUOTE. HE CAN'T BE. HE'S DEAAAAD!! (also it's arguable that killing the messenger of a LG god over the cutthroat businessman and the probable tyrant IS an evil act)

Look, it's character a quote, not a gorram logic puzzle. This is how that PARTICULAR CHARACTER would answer the riddle. Lawful Neutral in this case means that the question of who is most or least moral to kill never even crossed his mind; he thought to the immediate aftermath.

Otherwise I'd be asking why you assume the soldier belongs to the king.

"Didn't you do that?"

Shut up.

and in the name of putting the thread back on the rails.

"The best of intentions? Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best of intentions."
    -Dr Grant. Jurassic Park 3
    That movie was horrible.

"Why focus on the possibility of death? Today is a day of victory!"
    "That's just it, Thaddeus; your death is not merely possible, it is a certainty. Maybe in this war, maybe in another; one day you will die, and on that day the thrill of victory will be very far away. So save some of that victorious cheer, for when the end comes." -Cyrus, Dawn of War 2
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2016-04-29 at 12:53 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #246

Default Re: Quotes you canq build a character off of III: It's a crowd

A King, The Wealthiest merchant in Venice, the Pope, and a common soldier with a sword are locked in the room. From outside comes the order, "two men may leave the others must be killed". Who leaves the room? The answer is simple, the soldier, and whomever he esteems most. For though all three other men might command more power outside the room, that power is outside, while the soldier and his sword are inside. While the king outside could order him killed, the Pope might order him burned, or the Merchant might buy assassins, those are all outside, these men have left their power at the door, the soldier with his sword, has brought his full might with him.

- a Neutral or Evil fighter
    "So kick the damn door down!" - Fighter capable of lateral thinking.

Others:

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of the Five Rings, I think
    Little frog, I can swim.
    -An alternative ending to the Scorpion and the Frog fable, good for the practical traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles de Gaulle
    Men can have friends, statesmen cannot.
    No policy is worth anything outside of reality.
    The sword is the axis of the world and grandeur cannot be divided.
    Nothing great is done without great men, and they are great because they wanted it.
    The leader is always alone before bad fates.
    - for a 'Cynical Good' leader or politician.

Quote Originally Posted by Person of Interest
    You know the dog's the only one who likes you, right?
    - Self explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by A Man For All Seasons
    William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!
    Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
    William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!
    Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

The Duke of Norfolk: Damn it, Thomas, look at these names! Why can't you do as I did and come with us, for fellowship!
    Sir Thomas More: And when we die, and you are sent to heaven for doing your conscience, and I am sent to hell for not doing mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?

Sir Thomas More: I do none harm, I say none harm, I think none harm. And if this be not enough to keep a man alive, in good faith I long not to live.

Margaret More: Father, that man's bad.
    Sir Thomas More: There's no law against that.
    William Roper: There is: God's law.
    Sir Thomas More: Then God can arrest him.

Sir Thomas More: Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for Wales?
    -More is a very good model for a Lawful Good character with emphasis on the Lawful. (At least, the More in the play is. The real More, a little less - might want to lay off the heretic-burning a little.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

"You want flints, I have 6000 available at the snap of my fingers, you need powder, I can provide dozens of kegs, you need muskets, cannon, food, men? all that can be yours and with my compliments, all I ask in return is a pardon for myself and my men, and a chance to kill some Englishmen."

The pirate captain Jean Laffite, said to General Andrew Jackson prior to the battle of New Orleans. (Shortly thereafter some pirates were pardoned)

In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

-Thomas Jefferson

Our government is founded upon the intelligence of the people. I for one do not despair of the republic. I for one have great confidence in the virtue of the great majority of the people, and I cannot fear the result.

- Andrew Jackson

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    Spoiler: "My Aunt's estate was attacked while her husband was up an the walls poring down oil." "As any genially reared noble woman would do."
    Show
    Not your traditional princess. But in a tom-boy sort of way, just willing to fight when they have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Spoiler: Nitpick. Sexism is a topic that I'm really interested in, I just had to touch on this.
    Show
    "Tomboyish" does sound weird in that "protecting your home" is made to be a "masculine" thing. It attaches gender to something that could otherwise be ungendered.

My reaction to the estate's walls poring down oil would not be "I didn't expect a noble woman to do something useful". It would be "Oil down the walls! She's so smart, coming up with ideas like that". Same reaction as if the noble had been a man instead. I wouldn't be surprised that she's planted defenses on her own estate, even if I'm surprised at the design of the defenses themselves. To me, it seems rather normal for an noble to protect their property, regardless of gender. Why be so shocked that a noble protected their property just because the noble happens to be female?

Then again I'm sensitive to anything resembling gender roles. IMHO, on top of letting females do "masculine" things, we should stop associating actions with genders.
    I'm aware of your stances on that (and I rather enjoyed the art project that came from it) and I think that is actually is actually the point of the quote. I forgot to source this one (part of the reason I'm writing this) but it comes from the Protector of the Small series which is about a female knight. I forget which book in the series. I'm going to guess Page with Squire as my number two choice but it has been too long for me to remember exactly. This little exchange was supposed to highlight that females fighting was not as weird as the sexist age it was set in would like to think.

My intent on the matter might have been a bit more clear if a typo hadn't removed the word not from in front of tomboy.

To TheTeaMustFlow: I like the 'A Man for All Seasons' quotes. Good collection there.

Spoiler: "You are a horrible person in a way that gives horrible people a good name and you should stop."
    Show
    I could say some sort of alluring evil, but at the same time I don't think this would be said to them. So I'm going to go with a good person with a really rough, horrible even, exterior.
    Spoiler: "S/he will get up, s/he always does."
    Show
    Someone with unending determination that keeps them going far beyond their limits. I suppose some super-durability or regeneration ability could also work, but... I guess I just don't like that as much? It seems off but I'm not sure why.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

"You want flints, I have 6000 available at the snap of my fingers, you need powder, I can provide dozens of kegs, you need muskets, cannon, food, men? all that can be yours and with my compliments, all I ask in return is a pardon for myself and my men, and a chance to kill some Englishmen."

The pirate captain Jean Laffite, said to General Andrew Jackson prior to the battle of New Orleans. (Shortly thereafter some pirates were pardoned)

In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

-Thomas Jefferson

Our government is founded upon the intelligence of the people. I for one do not despair of the republic. I for one have great confidence in the virtue of the great majority of the people, and I cannot fear the result.

- Andrew Jackson
    I love all these quotes

They're so America
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

10. - Top - End - #250
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

There are no victories, there's only the battle. And the best that you could hope for is that you find some place where you can make your stand. If this is your spot, I will stand with you.
    --Roy Montgomery, Castle(TV Series)

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm drunk, you don't have an excuse" - Demoman, Team Fortress 2

12. - Top - End - #252

Imp

"Someday, my friend. Someday, you’re going to **** up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will **** comets with glee. And I just hope I’m still around to see it."
    "Oh please, that'll never happen."
    -The Lies of Locke Lamora.

“There’s no freedom quite like the freedom of being constantly underestimated.”

“What kind of knife is this? It’s all wrong. You couldn’t kill anyone with this.”

“According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking.”
    -Ptolemy's Gate

“He was a man who would never ask for sympathy. He was a man who sought only to do what was right. Such people appear in the world, every world, now and then, like a single refrain of some blessed song, a fragment caught on the spur of an otherwise raging cacophony.
    Imagine a world without such souls.
    Yes, it should have been harder to do.”
    -Toll the Hounds

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

"Belloq: How odd that it should end this way for us after so many stimulating encounters. I almost regret it. Where shall I find a new adversary so close to my own level?

Indiana: Try the local sewer"

-Raiders of the Lost Ark

14. - Top - End - #254
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

There's no sense crying over every mistake; you just keep on trying till you run out of cake

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrumist View Post
    There's no sense crying over every mistake; you just keep on trying till you run out of cake
    But when the science get's done, then you make a neat gun; for the people who are still alive

16. - Top - End - #256
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

We do what we must because we can.

We do what we can because we must.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

"Its A Beautiful Day Outside. Birds Are Singing, Flowers Are Blooming, On Days like these, people like you....SHOULD BE BURNING IN HELL."
    -can be used in two ways:
    1. the saying of a highly judging person who is faced with evil everyday and wants to protect the good things he sees around him
    2. describing the character themselves, a character so evil that the world should celebrate when they get tortured for all eternity

"I have a question for ya. Do you think that even the worst person can change? That everyone can be a good person, if they just try?"
    again two uses:
    1. the person saying it probably a very kind person who sees the good in everyone no matter what they've done
    2. describes a hypothetical worst person who might be asking it to themselves if they can change and be better after all they've done

-both quotes by Sans.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

If you can't do something smart, try doing something right
    -Serenity

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

One from my dad when we were fishing

"Is something in my leg? Because I feel something in my leg"

A good one for a character in a party who is prone to friendly fire

If it isn't a good one at all, I just wanted to share it because I thought it was kind of funny (I don't know why)

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

“I just want you to know: this whole ‘beat you to death-thing’ I’m doing is valuable time out of my life that I’m never going to get back.” - Glorificus

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

"sunset... all I can see is the color of blood" -Shin, Area 88

22. - Top - End - #262
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

If you get hurt, hurt them back. If you get killed, walk it off.
    -Steve Rogers, Age of Ultron

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    If it isn't a good one at all, I just wanted to share it because I thought it was kind of funny (I don't know why)
    It is kind of funny, just because it is weird and quirky. But yeah, the only things I can think of for this quote generally work in the context of horror movies and the character dying. Hard to build a... reoccurring character off of that. 6/9 Quotes made this draft.

Spoiler: "The markets are free. So much money for me! Tell me why should I care for peace and love."
    Show
    -Complete History of the Soviet Union, Arranged to the Melody of Tetris

The evil business man. Someone who is in it for number one. Someone who believes that making and spending money are the ultimate objectives of life.
    Spoiler: "If you're too proud to run, step aside for a man who isn't."
    Show
    -E-man, or so I was told

A coward who knows no shame in being a coward. Useful way to stay alive if you can't stand and fight.
    Spoiler: "...trying to drive John crazy?" "[That's] likely to be a short drive."
    Show
    -Between Failures

A someone who is close to crazy, but isn't. Maybe they only go crazy under stress? Maybe they tread the line? Maybe they are just a little bit crazy already? You could spin it a number of different ways.
    Spoiler: "Three can keep a secret, if two are dead."
    Show
    -Ben Franklin, I got it from Between Failures

The violent keeper of secrets. Makes me think of a silencer for some criminal organization.
    Spoiler: "Ignorance is bliss, but only if you don't know any better."
    Show
    I guess this is someone who knows just enough that they have to know more. It could work for someone who stumbled into a hidden world in the setting, or one who found part of the great mystery, and just charges into finding the rest.

Spun a different way, one who looks down on the unintelligent masses.
    Spoiler: "Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back."
    Show
    -Proverb, but I got it from Alice and the Nightmare

Similar to the ignorance is bliss variant, but the vibe is a little bit different. Here they almost seem to be saying something like "the curiosity is killing me!" and that when they found the answer it made it better. I guess it is the past tense that give the more consistent feel, this is something that has already happened and if you are going to make a character of it then it might as well of happened enough times that it is bound to happen again.

A detective, a scholar or an explorer, someone who just keeps on searching for the answers.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

"Where on my torso can I be shot and not die?"

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    Spoiler: "Three can keep a secret, if two are dead."
    Show
    -Ben Franklin, I got it from Between Failures

The violent keeper of secrets. Makes me think of a silencer for some criminal organization.
    Obviously not a world where Speak with Dead, Raise Dead, and such are things that exist

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Obviously not a world where Speak with Dead, Raise Dead, and such are things that exist
    unless you like true but unhelpful answers, dead men do in fact tell no tales even in these universes. for example http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0845.html

and a quote

The smallest caskets are the heaviest. I will crush you as you have crushed me.

-A character who is now driven only by revenge. (from a campaign I played in)

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Both spells require a corpse. Anyone smart and extreme enough to force secrets to be kept by dead bodies is smart enough to dispose of those corpses because they're evidence for perfectly mundane reasons without magic involved. those spells just give an added incentive to dispose the corpse in a way no one can find them. there is a reason the mafia cliche "sleeping with the fishes" is used as a euphemism: it means throwing the corpse into the ocean with weights on them so that they will sink into the depths of water. from then on, no one will be able to find the corpse, because no one goes swimming into cold open water and goes diving down deep into it just to find one, and any spell that can bring someone back without a corpse is really high level and likely not known by most clerics.

two spells foiled by some rope, a weight and any big body of water. or if your lacking the third thing, burning the corpse then scattering the ashes works as well.

people really don't give mundane methods enough credit. I could design an entire world around how mundane people can exploit the weaknesses of vancian magic to survive.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #268

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

This I will use this in some fashion for a campaign to describe the character or as an aspect in FATE.
    Calm as a Water Heater With No Safeties
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

"Now mostly dead is slightly alive" - Miracle Max, The Princess Bride