The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 255
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ninja_Prawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK

    Default Woodland Storm! - IC

    You have been busy this morning, training with your fey mentors out in the forest. A sudden break in the winter rains has given you the opportunity to venture a bit further; thus you have gotten split up.

    Spoiler: Ferb & Gonff
    Show
    After several hours of sparring with the faerie Olwen Oakenbrook, formerly a knight sworn to King Soren, you are both exhausted. You have been tearing up the forest and had quite lost track of where you were, but Olwen spots an old standing stone and the three of you gather under it for rest and sanctuary.

    You barely have time to catch your breath before a chipmunk appears before you and announces: <Sylvan> "Please bring all of the Awakened Animals back to the camp immediately - Sean."

    Olwen helps you up. <Sylvan> "Come on then. Sounds urgent."

    Spoiler: Fish
    Show
    You have stayed with Sean Coppertree (a faerie druid) and Saturn (a sprite alchemist), the de facto leaders of the exiles, helping to prepare the scrolls and potions that will surely be needed in the days and weeks to come. It is getting towards midday when a terrified-looking pixie bursts into the camp, begging for help.

    Sean quickly summons a pair of Animal Messengers to recall the Awakened Animals. <Sylvan> "This is most troubling," he says, turning to you and Saturn, "but we can't just sit here doing nothing. Prepare yourself, Fish. I need you to look after those animals."

    Spoiler: Ripred
    Show
    You spent the morning with Maefydia, a shadowfell dryad and fellow warlock, practising your pact magic. Your mentor has led you to a small glade surrounded by twisted, blackened trees that resonates with arcane energy, allowing you to tap into your spells much more easily. You sharpen your skills against illusory targets called forth by the dryad, and by midday you are very much ready for lunch.

    Not a moment after you sit down, though, a sparrow lands on Maefydia's shoulder and speaks a message in someone else's voice: <Sylvan> "Please bring all of the Awakened Animals back to the camp immediately - Sean."

    The dryad rolls her eyes and grabs the picnic basket that you had been about to unpack. <Sylvan> "We'd better get going. You can eat on the way."

    You all gather around the massive tree stump at the centre of the camp, where three tiny fey wait to address you. Sean, the faerie, taps his little staff on the stump and conjures a speck of flame.

    <Sylvan> "Thank you all for coming so quickly," he begins. "There has been a worrying development in our... situation. Last night, a pixie village called Roseblossom was attacked and burned to the ground by the big folk - Deon here was the only survivor."

    The sprite, Saturn, picks up the thread. <Sylvan> "We are sure this attack is related to the recent disappearance of Torrek, the elder elk; that village had been under his protection and his last known location is only a few miles away from it."

    <Sylvan> "We must act now, before more innocent people a killed." Sean speaks with absolute conviction. "That is why I am asking for your help. We need to investigate the village and find out who is behind this, and stop them."

    Olwen, the knight-errant, stands up and declares: <Sylvan> "it's too dangerous. The big folk could still be there."

    <Sylvan> "Indeed, but fortunately we have another option," Saturn offers. "I happen to know that your former lord owns a Scrying Mirror. If we could get our hands on that, we might be able to investigate without putting more lives at risk."

    <Sylvan> "It's up to you," says Sean in a calming voice, indicating via gesture that he is referring to Fish and the Awakened Animals. <Sylvan> "Either break into King Soren's treasury and liberate his Mirror, or pick through the ruins of Roseblossom. But whatever you decide, please hurry. And take these." He places your potions and scrolls on the stump.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-12-05 at 11:43 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    "What do we know of the king? Is the mirror guarded?" Gonff asks, twiddling with his whiskers. "I would rather investigate the village first, I'm sure we'll have use of the mirror anyway later. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    You and your common sense again ! :P

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ninja_Prawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Saturn scowls. <Sylvan> "Sean, Olwen and I used to belong to his court, but the place had a... toxic atmosphere. It got to the point where we couldn't bear to stay... I can tell you that King Soren guards his possessions jealously - getting into the treasury would not be easy.
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

    Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.
    Spoiler: PbP
    Show

    Homebrew: Sig, MHP

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    The mention of the treasury peaked Fish's interest. <Sylvan>"There might be some other things in the treasury that we are not aware of, perhaps some artifact that will help the cause. We should head to the shini- I mean treasury first". Fish says eagerly. It is quite obvious he wants to break into the treasury to build his hoard as well as get the mirror.
    Last edited by Lank; 2015-12-05 at 04:52 PM.
    Current Characters:
    Sergor "The Rowdy" Half-Orc level one Cleric
    Dorkas Ascondur Human level one Wizard

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fighting Demons!

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Ferb grunts and snuffles-he has a strong distaste for talking-but eventually does speak. <Sylvan> Let the big folk come-we'll handle them. I say we go to the ruins at once.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show


    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GanonBoar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Ripred grins. <Sylvan> "I agree with the badger. A direct path to success will be the most fruitful. Let them come."

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ninja_Prawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    <Sylvan> "So the three of you favour investigating the village in person," says Sean. "I'm sure there will be shinies there too, Fish. And you might uncover something that a Scrying would miss."
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

    Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.
    Spoiler: PbP
    Show

    Homebrew: Sig, MHP

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    "It looks like we'll be heading to the village. What is known of the big folk that attacked it?" Gonff asks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    You and your common sense again ! :P

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ninja_Prawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    <Sylvan> "Deon, would you like to speak?"

    The pixie has looked frightened the whole time you've been here, and he shakes his head stiffly.

    Sean tries again. <Sylvan> "You're safe now; we are all friends here. It would really help if there was anything else you could tell us."

    Slowly, the pixie opens up. He tells of a small band of humanoids that came in the night. They were like shadows, clad in black. Deon describes them shooting pixies down with crossbows - their natural invisibility seemingly useless against these attackers. He managed to slip past their notice by hiding under the body of his best friend; he fled when they started lighting fires.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-12-07 at 03:21 PM.
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

    Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.
    Spoiler: PbP
    Show

    Homebrew: Sig, MHP

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    "Crossbows!?! I don't like crossbows, not one bit. Nasty bits of metal and wood trying to shoot me out the sky".
    Last edited by Lank; 2015-12-07 at 04:05 PM.
    Current Characters:
    Sergor "The Rowdy" Half-Orc level one Cleric
    Dorkas Ascondur Human level one Wizard

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fighting Demons!

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    <Sylvan> I'll make them eat their crossbows, Ferb says, grinning maliciously.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show


    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GanonBoar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Ripred likes this badgers attitude.
    <Sylvan>'And they shall soon taste my blade as well.'

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ninja_Prawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Sean favours each of you with his gentle smile.

    <Sylvan> "It sounds like you have made up your minds, then. If there's nothing else you need, I shall wish you good luck and bid you adieu. It is a good few hours to Roseblossom, but hopefully it will not be too dangerous. This forest is sacred ground, after all... that's got to count for something."
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

    Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.
    Spoiler: PbP
    Show

    Homebrew: Sig, MHP

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Gonff whips out his two daggers and twirls them before sheathing them once more. "If we are to face crossbow-men I am in need of a bow. Is there one I can borrow? Else, I will get one from the first of their fallen."
    Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    You and your common sense again ! :P

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ninja_Prawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Saturn thinks for a moment. <Sylvan> "Well, mine's no good. It needs a new string. And Olwen might have need of hers... It's probably too small for you anyway. Maybe there are some human weapons left in that wrecked caravan we found last week?"

    <Sylvan> "Aye, you might try looking there. We could have missed something."
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-12-09 at 02:50 PM.
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

    Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.
    Spoiler: PbP
    Show

    Homebrew: Sig, MHP

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    "Very well, we shall find that first before avenging the fallen!" Gonff declares, shaking a tiny fist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    You and your common sense again ! :P

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Once all seem to have lined up and ready to head out, Gonff moves ahead of the column (30 - 50 ' depending on visibility, topography, etc). His beady, black eyes alert, ears twitching and blades ready the mouse moves quietly forward.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Stealth (+7): (1d20+7)[13], Perception (+3): (1d20+3)[6]
    Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    You and your common sense again ! :P

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ninja_Prawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    The four of you say your goodbyes and head off through the forest, picking your way carefully in the lush undergrowth. It is warm, and every step you take disturbs a small swarm of insects that harry you continuously.

    (1d20)[18]

    Everyone else: please make a Dexterity (Stealth) check and a Wisdom (Perception) check.
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

    Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.
    Spoiler: PbP
    Show

    Homebrew: Sig, MHP

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fighting Demons!

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stealth (1d20+4)[18]
    Perception (1d20+1)[19]
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show


    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GanonBoar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+5)[8]
    Perception: (1d20+2)[22]

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    Perception (1d20)[14]
    Stealth (1d20+3)[15]
    Current Characters:
    Sergor "The Rowdy" Half-Orc level one Cleric
    Dorkas Ascondur Human level one Wizard

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ninja_Prawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Random Encounter!

    You find your way blocked by a thick and menacing stand of nettles. Gonff almost stumbles right into them, but Fish is able to shout out a warning just in time. They... don't look natural - the top two leaves on each plant are royal blue and the whole thicket is swaying despite the air being still. It's also large. From the ground you can't see the end of it, and from the air Fish can see that it would take a lengthy detour if you wanted to go around.

    Spoiler: Passive Intelligence (Nature) 13+
    Show
    These are Warlock's Nettles, a weed with strong natural magic. You don't know exactly what it does, but you recall that it has both harmful and helpful properties.
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

    Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.
    Spoiler: PbP
    Show

    Homebrew: Sig, MHP

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    "This is no good, no good at all. This stuff is nasty, but the only way around is a long one". Fish clearly does not know what to do in this situation.
    Current Characters:
    Sergor "The Rowdy" Half-Orc level one Cleric
    Dorkas Ascondur Human level one Wizard

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    "Warlock nettles! They're magical, but I don't know what they do. We'd better stay clear; let's find a way around! Maybe we can use the trees, Fish can fly, and Ferb can burrow under them?"
    Gonff takes a few steps back then climbs up the nearest tree to get a better view from above.

    OOC: I hope to get an idea on how large this stand is, alternatively, if we can find other ways over by e.g. using the trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    You and your common sense again ! :P

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ninja_Prawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Gonff scrabbles up one of the tall, slender trees nearby. The thicket looks about three miles wide (you are roughly in the middle) and one mile deep - it will not be much quicker for Ferb to burrow through than it would be to go around.
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

    Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.
    Spoiler: PbP
    Show

    Homebrew: Sig, MHP

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Is it possible to use the trees to get through?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    You and your common sense again ! :P

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ninja_Prawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    The forest here is fairly dense; you could probably jump from tree to tree for a mile, but it will be physically taxing and risky. You might be able to make it easier (but slower) using ropes and climbing gear.

    Spoiler: Meta
    Show
    I would typically be asking for Dexterity-based checks for keeping you balance and sticking the landings when jumping around in the trees.
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

    Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.
    Spoiler: PbP
    Show

    Homebrew: Sig, MHP

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Satisfied with his survey, Gonff rapidly climbs down the tree.

    "This stand is very large, about three miles wide and one mile deep. We can go around it, but at a cost of about two miles. Another alternative would be to use the trees and climb over, and for you to fly, Fish, but it's not without risk. How good are you at climbing, Ferb?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    You and your common sense again ! :P

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fighting Demons!

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Pretty good, if I do say so myself. Ferb says.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show


    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GanonBoar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Woodland Storm! - IC

    Ripred grins maliciously. 'We rats aren't bad climbers ourself. I can climb faster than I walk.'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •