New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [M and M 3E] An Exalted Tale, Season 1 IC

"What did you father talk to the monks about? Was he friendly to them?" Cherry glances at Son, hoping for him to catch on to what he is really asking.

"Well, lets go up that hill! Would you like me to carry you?" Cherry stands up and speaks to Son.
    "Mind keeping a look out? Something about this is unsettling me."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiding Dragon View Post
    "What did you father talk to the monks about? Was he friendly to them?"
    "They talked about boring stuff: how the forest was doing and work, things like that. Yeah, but my dad's nice to everybody. He tells me that 'one is never taller than when he lends a hand to another,' or something like that. These monks were nice, too. Last year the monks that came through were sort of... mad? Dad told me to stay in my room when he talked to them. But these ones were super nice! Especially their leader. She was dressed kind of weird, though. She didn't wear robes like the other monks. She had fancy clothes!"

"Well, lets go up that hill! Would you like me to carry you?"
    "Thanks, mister, but I'll walk too." Asher sets off. Tylina shrugs and follows him, and Son exchanges a nod with Cherry before vanishing into the trees. As they ascend the hill, Cherry can hear the bird-like Abyssal ghosting through branches above them, swifter than the wind.

It isn't long before the hill flattens out into a bluff, and through the woods Cherry can make out a little cottage of red wood. Asher doesn't seem to notice it, though - being short restricts your field of view a little. The woodlands around the house are unusually verdant, with flowering plants of all shapes and colors sprouting an wild garden.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

"Sigh~ Lets go knock on the door, I guess. Hopefully your pop is home."
    Cherry starts walking towards the house. He glances down at Asher, walking beside him. Say, kid, what are you? I sense your Essence is strong. Are you a elemental, or a litte god?"
    Last edited by Hiding Dragon; 2015-12-16 at 08:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

At the Cottage on the Bluff

Say, kid, what are you? I sense your Essence is strong. Are you a elemental, or a little god?"
    Asher shakes his head. "I'm not a god, mister Jing. Now, my dad, on the other ha -"

"AAAAAAAAAAASHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!" A red comet streaks past Cherry and tackles Asher. The little boy is swept up in long hair and grey robes as he and his assailant go tumbling down the path, only narrowly missing the terrified Tylina. When the forest settles, Asher is sitting in a young man's lap, giggling with childish glee. "Where have you been, young man? I was worried sick! You went down the hill, didn't you? I told you to never go down the hill! You'll slip and fall and roll all the way to the bottom! Is that what you want?!" The red-haired man scolds Asher, who continues to laugh. "Haha, dad, you have visitors!" He exclaims, rousing his father's attention.

"We do? Oh!" The red-haired man bolts to his feet, holding his son like one might hold a puppy. He doesn't look much older than Cherry, but his pale green eyes shine with the memories of countless seasons. "Greetings, travelers! Were you the ones who led Asher back here? If that's the case I owe you many thanks. My name is Oliver of the Red Stand, but you can just call me Oliver. I'm the god of these woods."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Cherry exhales and just stares at the father and son. He feels a mixture of surprise and anger at himself.

"Just a forest god, huh? I did not expect that at all. Well, I am One Blooded Cherrytree! Midnight Caste of the Abyssal Exalted! I have brought your um... child... home! We found him in the woods on our journey. I along with my friend here, Descending Crimson Cherryblossom!" He gestures to Tylina. "She is my student. So Oliver, god of these woods, do you have any tea? We can drink together and break words."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, of course! Asher, let's go get some tea for our guests." The two of them vanish inside, leaving some time for Cherry and his companion to speak among themselves. Son Of Crows descends from the high branches and lands beside Cherry and Tylina. "That went better than expected."

Tylina recovers from her surprise quickly. "Yeah, it's kind of bizarre. I've never met a god like this up close before. My village used to have a waterfall god, but she's not really around anymore. The Immaculate monks saw to that. Also, Son." She turns. "You nearly scared my half to death. Is there anything you can do about all the blood and stuff?"

Son Of Crows shrugs. "This is how I always look."

"Well, in that case, you'll probably want to go back to looking out for trouble. I think that Oliver might freak out a little if he saw you like that." Tylina frowns.

"You're probably right. I'll be back if I see anything."

When Son Of Crows vanishes, Tylina turns to Cherry. "Any particular reason you didn't tell him my real name?"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Cherry sits down and beckons Ty to do so too. He turns to her. "Well, he's just a forest god so it nothing super special. On the other hand, flowers can sport many colors, plus this is his domain. Now, the kid is something that I'm really intrested in. Also I gave you that name cause he might want to eat you or something much much worse, plus its much more epic then your normal name, plus we need to play you as somebody who's just as powerful as me and Son so that you are not targeted first. Maybe we'll give you some more dangerous training, but I don't know yet."

Cherry lays down on his back, keeping his hand between himself and the ground. He looks up to the canopy, waiting on his host.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Oliver of the Red Stand emerges alongside his son with an elaborate tea set. He beckons Cherry and Tylina to follow him to the terrace, on the opposite side of his cottage. There waits a small table with four chairs. Oliver sets down the tea-tray and sits, with Asher beside him. What follows is a typical outdoor tea ceremony, practiced often by the Terrestrial gods that call Creation home.

Tylina has no idea what is going on, but Cherry leads her through the steps. The tea bowl is passed around, containing a thicker, more viscous variant of green tea. After everyone has taken a sip (and offered Oliver their most sincere compliments) the host retreats back inside, emerging with the thin tea and a plate of confections. And so, the casual phase of the ceremony begins.

Oliver is the first to speak. He leans back in his chair, folding his arms behind his head. "So, One Blooded Cherrytree... you are an Abyssal Exalted? I must confess that I've not heard of your kind before. I know of Lunars: one or two have passed through my woods before; as well as Terrestrials; but I've never seen an Abyssal before. Where are you from?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Cherry beams at the forest god, but ignores the question of about Abyssals. "How long has this place been your domain? And your child, Asher, is he a elemental? I sense his essence and am extremely fascinated by him. Your boy told me about some monks visting you, led by a woman in 'fancy clothing.' as he put it." Cherry smiles at Asher then to his father. "By the way, you can call me Cherry and my companion Ty."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

"How long has this place been your domain?"
    "I've lived in these woods for many years. Perhaps two centuries? I tend to lose track, but some things keep reminding me." He gazes warmly at his son, who quips back. "Six years and counting!"

"And your child, Asher, is he a elemental? I sense his essence and am extremely fascinated by him."
    Oliver smiles wryly. "I've heard of many things in my life, One Blooded Cherrytree, but I've never heard of a god's child being an elemental. No, Asher is godblooded. I like to think he takes after his mother, mostly."

"Your boy told me about some monks visiting you, led by a woman in 'fancy clothing.' as he put it."
    "Has he, now? Well, yes. I'm visited by monks of the Immaculate Order from time to time. They've always treated me kindly, and offered me protection from other gods who might wish to usurp my control over this forest. All they ask in return is that I claim no worship from the people who call this forest home." He smiles, looking at his son - who is currently alternating between quaffing tea and gorging himself on sweets. "For the past few years, the Immaculate monks that have come to speak with me were... more dogmatic in their approach. They felt that the blood of gods and mortals shouldn't mix. Let's just say that I had my qualms with that philosophy. This new brotherhood of monks, though, are different. Their leader, Tepet Berele Chisri, the woman in 'fancy clothes' that my son mentioned, has big plans for this region. She's not so caught up in punishing the little gods who stray beyond their bounds. I never asked what her grand scheme was, but from what I've managed to gather, it has something to do with the Lunars. I have a feeling she wants to drive them out and set up a permanent satrapy of the Realm."

"By the way, you can call me Cherry and my companion Ty."
    "Duly noted, Cherry. And miss Ty." Oliver smiles, taking another sip from his teacup.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Cherry stares at Oliver, his mouth shut. "Oliver, I know we've met only moments ago, and I can tell you are a carefree person who only wants the best for your child. I like you but..." Cherry sets down his cup. "Never trust a snake that whispers promises. There is always going to be venom in the end. Do you sense that they mean ill of you? Since you are in the way of there plans and they have views that less then reasonable. Do you have any insights on this possibility?"

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

"Never trust a snake that whispers promises. There is always going to be venom in the end. Do you sense that they mean ill of you? Since you are in the way of there plans and they have views that less then reasonable. Do you have any insights on this possibility?"
    Oliver's smile disappears. "I... uh, well..." He turns to his son. "Asher, there are more treats inside, if you're still hungry." The little boy nods and takes off, but not before giving Cherry and Tylina a quick bow. When his son is well and truly out of earshot, Oliver turns back. "Why shouldn't I trust them? I've had disagreements with the Immaculate monks in the past, but this new group is different. They've been nothing but polite to me and, frankly, I'm kind of insulted that you think they might mean 'ill' of me. What gives you the idea that I'm in the way of their plans?"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

"I'm sorry if I offended you but it's because you are just in the way. This forest is rich in wood and may have more resources hidden within. From my viewpoint, Immaculates are going about things all wrong. Especially the Wyld Hunt." Cherry politely sips his tea. "You have your own will and ideas. Just keep what I say in mind, my friend. The world has made my words harsh and I apologize for that. Now, if I may, can you tell me if there any Wyld Hunt camps around here? That would be a great boon to us."

Cherry smiles and reassures Oliver that his intentions are peaceful.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

"Now, if I may, can you tell me if there any Wyld Hunt camps around here? That would be a great boon to us."
    "Only one that I know of. Tepet Berele Chisri has set up her camp in an old ruined keep, maybe forty kilometers to the West? They have most of their force camped out around there."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

"Excellent! Well, I guess we will be leaving. Thank you for the tea and snacks, but I we must continue our journey." Cherry bows. "May you bless our travels."

He gets up and lending a hand to Ty. He gives her a wink (Hopefuly this quick departure will agitate something out of this forest sprite)

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Oliver frowns as Cherry turns to leave. The Abyssal can hear him clearing his throat, but before he gets a chance to speak Son Of Crows drops from the canopy, landing on the balls of his feet directly in front of Cherry and Tylina. Out of the corner of his eye, Cherry can see Oliver drop his bamboo tea-scoop to the ground in shock and surprise.

"Something's coming. Big, furry. Heading right for us. It'll be here any second."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

"Oliver, a creatrue of your forest?" Cherry looks to Oliver and then to Tylina.

"Stay with the god and please, do try to defend yourself. Maybe with your knife or something?" Cherry looks to Son. "How big and strong is it? We should attack it first, before it gets the drop on us. Lead me to it."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oliver, a creature of your forest?"

"I'm... not sure."
    Oliver closes his eyes and focuses, using the trees of the forest as conduits for his sight.

"Stay with the god and please, do try to defend yourself. Maybe with your knife or something?"
    Tylina nods, taking off her backpack and pulling a long knife from a side pouch. She tugs off the sheathe and tosses it back inside, standing up and brandishing her weapon.

"How big and strong is it?"
    "It's... um... house-sized. Let's go with that. There's no 'attacking first,' the thing's running way to fast." Glancing back to the stooped form of Oliver, he adds. "I think it's a wolf or something..." Padding footsteps echo through the woods, along with the cracking of branches and the faint tremors of bursting earth.

"A... wolf? But that means... oh no." Realization flashes across Oliver's face and he snaps out of his sight-trance. He shouts to his son. "Asher! Stay inside! I'll come get you when it's over." The forest god clenches his fists and walks forward, standing shoulder to shoulder with Cherry and Son. The rapid footfalls have begun to blur together into a dull roar. "She's here."

There is an explosion of air and snapped branches as a white wolf the size of a house bursts into the clearing. The air around it is suffused with silver light, and Cherry can instantly detect the swirls of essence curling from the beast's massive body. Its breathing is ragged, and it bows its head for a moment before fixing Oliver with a blue-eyed gaze.

"OLIVER OF THE RED STAND, THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE." The wolf roars, its feet falling heavily on the bushes of the forest-god's garden. "JOIN US, OR DIE WITH THEM!"

"I've told you a thousand times, Atara, I'm never going to join you!" Oliver's face contorts in anger, and he thrusts a finger towards the menacing wolf. "You and your friends can have your war. I want no part in it!"

"CURSE YOU AND YOUR DAMNED NEUTRALITY!" Atara practically spits the last word, slamming one of her massive paws into the ground and uprooting a small tree. "IS THERE NO WAY YOU'LL SEE REASON?"

"I'll 'see reason' the second you and your friends stop trying to get me killed!" Oliver grits his teeth. "And stop trampling on my garden! I know you're in that form just to intimidate me!"

"FINE!" Atara takes a step back and closes her eyes. Her whole body is shrouded in glowing silver light that wraps around her like a cloth. Beneath it, she begins to shrink, rearing up and taking on the trappings of a human form. When the light vanishes, it leaves behind a young woman with stark white hair and piercing blue eyes. She wears a red mantle and baggy teal pants, held together with black suspenders. On her waist hangs a red and white mask, shaped like a demon's head. It is held in place by a braided blue cord. A glowing disk of dark blue stands out on her forehead. It twinkles with an odd light. "Can we talk now?!"

Before Oliver has a chance to respond, Atara tilts her head. She's noticed Cherry, Tylina, and Son for the first time. "Wait a minute. Who's this lot?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

"BWHAHAHAHAHA! First a forest god and his godblooded son and now a damned Lunar? May the Neverborn just take me now! This is really turning into a exciting day! What's next? A circle of Solars? Wait, wait, maybe a horde of Wyld Hunt idoits!? Ah the humanity! But with all seriousness."

Cherry's face goes from a warm spring day to cold heartless steel. "You leave this god and his son alone for they are my friends, and thus, under my protection!"

Cherry stomps his foot, assuming the Mantis Form. He brings up a hand, beckoning the Lunar in a provoking manner. "If you want to hurt him then you will have to go though me! For their sake I will not fail! For I am: ONE BLOODED CHERRYTREE! ABYSSAL EXALTED!"

Cherry's anima flares in an attempt to intimdiate Atara. "So come on, pup! Let's see them fangs!"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Oliver, Son, and Tylina stare, utterly speechless, at Cherry. Atara, to her credit, merely raises an eyebrow. In one fluid motion, she sweeps up the leather-wrapped tube from her back and props it up on her shoulder, where it begins to unfold into a long, tapering barrel of flowing silver and brass. The lights of several crystals reflect in its open end, and they dance as the weapon begins to charge.

"Suit yourself, a**hole." Atara replies as she squeezes the cannon's trigger. Like a ray of moonlight, a beam five centimeters in diameter explodes from the tip of the weapon, pointed straight at Cherry.

~battle, joined!~

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Atara got initiative on Cherry. She went first, and drew some sort of... shoulder cannon? She shot it at Cherry. He must succeed on a DC 19 Dodge check or suffer one bruise as the beam of essence impacts him.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Cherry's eyes widen with excitement at the beam of light coming towards him, but he gets caught up in its beauty and barely rolls out of the way in time.

"Oh? You're using essnce? Well, I can do that too!"

Cherry digs his hand into his belt-pouch and pulls out four white slips of papyrus. He takes his thumb and, using the blood dripping from his caste mark, paints symbols onto the paper. Then he closes his eyes and utters a quick chant. His eyes snap open and he throws the slips of paper up in the air, where they burst into unholy ghost-flames that gather together and surge towards the Lunar. In midlfight the fire turns into a large fist and strikes Atara with full force. The flames don't burn, however, but cause her skin to turn purple and blue as bruises cover her body.

After his attack hits Cherry rushes up to her, trying not to trample any flowers along the way. Hopefully her little toy won't be of much use in close range. Cherry smiles. "Whatcha going to do now, pup?"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

"Whatcha going to do now, pup?"
    "This!" There is a blast of bright light as Atara transforms again. Her hands elongate into menacing claws; triangular ears poke out of her hair and her whole body grows, almost doubling in size. Her face stretches, forming a long muzzle, and her legs gain an extra joint as they change. When the light fades, Atara has become a ferocious wolf-woman that towers over Cherry. "HOW DO YOU LIKE THIS, BOY?"

She curls one of her hands into a fist and strikes downwards, aiming to flatten Cherry against the ground.

Show
    Atara activates her Deadly Beastman Transformation ability, assuming a powerful hybrid form. Cherry must succeed on a DC 19 Parry check or take one bruise.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

"Oh? This is cute!"
    Cherry merely hops closer to her body, avoiding her attack. He places his hand on her navel his and brushes up her body. This probably makes the Lunar feel weird, but his true intent is to see how hard her beastman hide is. (Damn, her fur is thick as hell where I was going to strike. My fists are not going to be able to do all the talking this time! I guess am going to pull out almost every trick in my book.)

Cherry looks up to Lunar with a demon's smile. "Say, pup, want to make a wager? If I beat you, you become my vessel - no - my pet! Ha! My own pup! Of course, if I lose you can gnaw on my bones for the rest of your life!"

Cherry winks at her before dashes between her legs, moving behind her and stopping just out the way of her claws. "So what do you say, Lunar? Do you have a sense of honor?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

"So what do you say, Lunar? Do you have a sense of honor?"
    Atara arches an eyebrow. She seems a bit put off by Cherry's... bizarre attacks, but she quickly gets her head back into the fight. "IT'S AN APPEALING OFFER, BUT I'LL PASS." She smiles back at Cherry, a wolfish grin on her face. "I DON'T WANT TO KILL YOU, LITTLE MAN. I JUST WANT TO KICK YOUR A** SO BAD IT'LL MAKE YOUR DEATHLORD DIZZY!"

The Lunar snarls, throwing herself upon Cherry in mass of gnashing teeth and sweeping claws.

Show
    Atara fails her recovery check. She remains Vulnerable. Cherry hits her, but fails to deal damage. Then, Atara attacks Cherry, getting three degrees of success on her damage check. Cherry must make a DC 21 Parry check or be staggered (no recovery) and take one bruise. If she hits him this bad twice in a row, he'll be incapacitated.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Cherry backflips away from the Lunar's razor claws with ease.

"My Deathlord? Heh... hehheh..ha hahahahahha WAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHA! S**T on the Bishop! I knew that some Lunars were tricksters but not that some are comedians!"

Cherry clasps his hands together, forming a series of hand signs. He chants to Oblivion and raises his hands to the heavens. "Blood Cherry Blossom Flurry!"

A flurry of cherry blossoms appear from nowhere, circling Cherry. Then it breaks off, and a stream of blossoms flies forth, snaking and winding thought the air. The petals, forged of essence, cut into wood and slice of branches as they soar through the trees. Once they are above the Lunar the petals float in a lazy circle, then like lighting they strike down. Atara vanishes in a storm of vibrant pink, before her blood starts to stain the petals a dark crimson. Then Cherry snaps his fingers and the flurry disappears, revealing the monsterous Lunar covered in bleeding cuts. Blood pours from her shoulders and arms, where her flesh has been all but minced.

"So, pup, ready to become mine? Or would you like some more lessons? Like the way that you should find a stance and not lash out in anger? Find tranquility: that is how you achieve success in a fight!"
    Last edited by Hiding Dragon; 2015-12-20 at 01:05 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

"YOU NAME YOUR ATTACKS? CUTE." Atara steps back, shaking the blood from her fur. "LEMME GUESS; THAT'S YOUR SECRET? WELL THEN..." She's panting. Cherry can tell that she's no specialized fighter. Her fighting style is savage and instinctual - it can barely even be called a style. While he has no doubt that this Lunar would be able to take down most mortals in this form, raw strength is no substitute for hard work and combat experience.

Atara leaps forward, claws flashing for Cherry's throat. "I'LL JUST HAVE TO TAKE YOUR TONGUE!"

Show
    Atara successfully recovers from her Vulnerable condition. However, she's now Staggered - that means that another hit with 3 degrees of success will take her down.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Cherry darts into her Atara, avoiding her claws and sending a fist into her stomach.

"FLY! MY ONE MILLON SHADOW STRIKES!"

With a surge of essence the area around Cherry darkens. Then multiple clones of Cherry appear, all smiling from ear to ear. The leap upon the Lunar, fist after fist, kick after kick, blanketing her body with attacks. Cherry turns away from her.

"You are finished, pup."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

"Enough!"

Oliver's voice snaps Cherry out of his victorious rush. Looking forward, Cherry sees Son and Tylina standing in front of Oliver's cottage, but no forest god. Whirling around, Cherry sees Oliver doubled over, hands on his knees, eye blackened and cheek swollen, before an equally battered Atara. The ground around Oliver's feet is upturned, suggesting that the god simply sprouted out of the ground to shield Atara from Cherry's final assault.

~battle, end!~

"I will not *gasp* see this war *gasp* brought to my home! If it means that I must endure the slings and arrows of this conflict, then I will. I will do all that it takes to ensure that my family is - " Atara interrupts him by placing a hand on his shoulder and shoving him aside.

"Feel free to make your heroic speeches, Oliver, but do it on your own time." The Lunar walks towards Cherry, shrinking with every step. By the time she's reached him the top of her head is level with his nose. "I've got something to say to you." Before Cherry can open his mouth to ask what she means, Atara grabs him by his hair and kisses him. Deeply.

Out of the corner of Cherry's eye, he can make out Son Of Crows covering Tylina's eyes.

Breaking off the embrace, Atara steps back. "That was... pretty awesome." Even now, her patchwork of wounds is healing at an alarming pace. It almost looks like they're being sewn together as spiraling silver tattoos begin to appear along her bare arms and midriff. "I've got a friend who knows martial arts kinda like yours, and I'm sure he'd love to meet you. My name's Atara, by the way. Atara Jacastien, No Moon Phase of the Lunar Exalted."

Behind Atara, Oliver looks on with an expression of pure disbelief. The forest is silent.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Cherry looks at the lunar, slackjawed. His heart races, his mind is a scramble mess, his keen edge has been dulled to a blunt stone.

"H-ha! I like you, Atara! Was that my prize? I was joking about the 'being mine' thing! So, what about this war? Who this friend of yours? Y-your lips tasted like tomatoes. I like ripe tomatoes. Hey, Oliver, you going to be okay man? Sorry for hurting you. Though you got in the way so it's sorta your fault. What now?" He glances behind him. "Hey, Son! Why did not try to help? I thought you were my friend?! Oh gods, my student is seeing me like this!"

Cherry blurts out question and question, rubbing his neck. His face is crimson and his mind is fried.
    Last edited by Hiding Dragon; 2015-12-20 at 02:34 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

It takes them a while, but Son, Tylina, and Oliver manage to calm Cherry down and take him inside the cottage. Atara saunters in behind them, hands in her pockets. Asher glances from face to face, his eyes wide with confusion. Oliver's cottage is cozy on the inside, with paintings and trinkets hanging from the walls. The main room has little furniture aside from a small table, and the everyone gathers around it and sits down. Except for Son. He stands beside an open window, eyes peeled for any more trespassers.

"So." Oliver speaks first. "I'm afraid that I haven't been completely honest with the three of you. Lunars haven't come through my territory once or twice -"

Atara scoffs. "Of course not! Your forest is massive. We're always running through it."

"As I was saying, I've been in contact with the Lunar Exalted for a long time. Atara is one of the few that bothers to speak with me, but the rest all share her opinion. They don't want the Immaculate monks this far East, and they've been asking for my help against them for a long time. I want no part in it."

"'No part in it,' huh?" Atara's eyes narrow. "You're just like those damn gods from Great Forks! Bending over backwards just to stay in the good graces of the Immaculates! I'm tired of it! You can't stay like this forever, Oliver! One of these days the Wyld Hunt will come rolling across these lands, and they'll trample your forest to splinters! If you help us, we might have a chance to drive them off forever!"